ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #22486
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's a fair distance from me......440 miles.

If you know registration's open, does that mean you're doing it?

About 400 miles for me. And I've got to sign up to defend my "Dead Last But Finished" from last year....

One of my teammates is bugging me to enter on the Pugs. Should make sure I don't finish before dead last.

Raleigh makes a lot of cool 'cross type bikes and frames. Fell absolutely in love with the belt drive carbon fiber single speed CX bike that ran the ragnarok last year.

I'd settle for a Furley though.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #22487
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 884
Norco used to have a couple of urban bikes with steel frames, disc brakes, and belt drive. One had a flat bar and eight speed Nexus hub, the other was a drop bar single-speed. I'd love to either one...or maybe a Vaya.

Had a pretty sucessful MTB ride today to close out my vacation. Got to try out some new trails that are part of a network being built by BLM west of town. They were great and I had them all to myself!

__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #22488
Motocicletta
ridetowork
 
Motocicletta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Santa Monica
Oddometer: 581
Twist or Push ?




Problem here is that the pedal bike is replacing the motor bike. Bike 384.4 mi from December 21st to January 2nd. Moto miles = 0. It would make sense to use the motorcycle for commuting and errands and the pedal bike for recreation and fitness. I am not there yet, unfortunately using the cage is easy.
__________________
motocicletta

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #22489
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Polar challenge: How do you cycle to the South Pole?
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #22490
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocicletta View Post



It would make sense to use the motorcycle for commuting and errands and the pedal bike for recreation and fitness. I am not there yet, unfortunately using the cage is easy.
That's why I'm MOTTGATT. I'll skip the armored pants for Draggin Jeans or other heavier duty(ish) pants. Boots are easy to hide under everything, jackets come off, and helmets can get left in the top box...

My car useta move 2-3x/ week living in the land of lane sharing.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #22491
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That bike looks like it was designed by someone dead set against using current fatbike wheel setups.

I'm curious how those tires compare to big fat larrys or some such.

And also why they used that crazy complicated white brothers downhill fork.


P.S. Kiteskiing is cheating if you want to call this "biking across Antarctica". But it's still a hell of an endeavor.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #22492
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocicletta View Post
Problem here is that the pedal bike is replacing the motor bike. Bike 384.4 mi from December 21st to January 2nd. Moto miles = 0. It would make sense to use the motorcycle for commuting and errands and the pedal bike for recreation and fitness. I am not there yet, unfortunately using the cage is easy.
This past summer, my daily beater sat so long the battery went dead. My nice truck sits in the shop, on a Battery Tender. I was using the motorcycle or bicycle to get around. She uses her car, daily. But, with me going to the store for the odd couple things at a time, we were able to minimize our trips to the grocery store to two times a month. Still, she only fuels up about once a month. I haven't fueled any of my vehicles in over a month. We've talked about getting a Surly Big Dummy or an Xtracycle, but, they seem like a lot of money versus what we actually use in gas to go to the store.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #22493
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That bike looks like it was designed by someone dead set against using current fatbike wheel setups.

I'm curious how those tires compare to big fat larrys or some such.
Askel, these guys look like they might be of interest to you. Check out their FB page, where they have some product shown. I think it's a good move by QBP. Though, their studded tires look an awful lot like Nokian's stuff.

__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #22494
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Sounds like 45nrth is also working on some winter boots- it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Most options I've seen, even the Lake winter boots have pretty severe problems with the soles packing up with snow.

I'm particularly geeked about the new Origin8 26x4.0 tire though:
http://www.mellowvelo.com/category/origin8/

Kevlar lined, good knobbie tread pattern, reasonable price, good thread count and a very, very reasonable price. Could make a rocking summer tire.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #22495
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That bike looks like it was designed by someone dead set against using current fatbike wheel setups.

I'm curious how those tires compare to big fat larrys or some such.

And also why they used that crazy complicated white brothers downhill fork.


P.S. Kiteskiing is cheating if you want to call this "biking across Antarctica". But it's still a hell of an endeavor.
I figured you of all people might find that interesting...

I'll post up if I hear more about how she's doing.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #22496
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Instead of decent temps and clear roads for my birthday ride, I get overcast, colder'n a witch's (ahem cough cough), and salt all over the roads. The plan was 44mi. Then with the flurries last nite and the overreaction by VDOT it turned into 44min. Even that was looking iffy...

But... I managed to talk myself into going out on the mtn bike. It warmed up to 33-34deg! Heat wave!!

Thank doG for merino wool. I got back and I was soaked! Dressed too warmly.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #22497
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,823
Near 80's here this week.
But, of course I'm riding the motorcycle to work and back in the dark.

Weekend should be cold for us so I can at least ride then.

Long days in the cube suck. But, I'm real glad I'm not riding in the cold. My run Christmas morning when I froze my thumbs was not up to my level of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Instead of decent temps and clear roads for my birthday ride, I get overcast, colder'n a witch's (ahem cough cough), and salt all over the roads. The plan was 44mi. Then with the flurries last nite and the overreaction by VDOT it turned into 44min. Even that was looking iffy...

But... I managed to talk myself into going out on the mtn bike. It warmed up to 33-34deg! Heat wave!!

Thank doG for merino wool. I got back and I was soaked! Dressed too warmly.

M
__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #22498
inyang
5secs away
 
inyang's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Lagos/Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oddometer: 422
Touring bike rec

Hi all,
Today was so hot walking 2km to the ATM was not fun.

Anyway, need help with additional info you guys may have on the bikes and rack below .

I am looking at setting up a cyclocross bike for short tours, most of the road around where I live are ok (a bit cracked and bumpy) for road bikes but...I may have to cross some bumpy/gravel/dirt to go on the type of trips I want.

I also need something that can carry light luggage for an overnight trip (tshirt, pants, toothpaste and brush, an ipad or Macbook Air, charger, extra energy gels)

I have a LOOK 566, all carbon so cannot take seatpost mount racks (or so I think)


I have narrowed it down to two bikes;

Specialized CruX Comp Disc Apex


or Felt 65X


Which I suppose can take seat post mount racks for minimalist touring, like this;



Am not planning to do long tours and will use the bike mostly without the rack. Oh, we have like 8 months of heavy rains here, plan is to also fit fenders to the bike.
__________________
'11 - 690R
inyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #22499
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Hi all,
Today was so hot walking 2km to the ATM was not fun.

Anyway, need help with additional info you guys may have on the bikes and rack below .

I am looking at setting up a cyclocross bike for short tours, most of the road around where I live are ok (a bit cracked and bumpy) for road bikes but...I may have to cross some bumpy/gravel/dirt to go on the type of trips I want.

I also need something that can carry light luggage for an overnight trip (tshirt, pants, toothpaste and brush, an ipad or Macbook Air, charger, extra energy gels)

I have a LOOK 566, all carbon so cannot take seatpost mount racks (or so I think)


I have narrowed it down to two bikes;

Specialized CruX Comp Disc Apex


or Felt 65X


Which I suppose can take seat post mount racks for minimalist touring, like this;



Am not planning to do long tours and will use the bike mostly without the rack. Oh, we have like 8 months of heavy rains here, plan is to also fit fenders to the bike.
The answer is really none of the above. What you want is something like the Salsa Vayo (a?) or Fargo, the Gunnar Crosshairs or Rock Tour, or other similar 'not built for racing' cross bikes. I don't remember rack bosses on the Crux I helped build.

My Crosshairs is very versatile. I've raced cross on it. Ridden dirt roads on it. etc. I don't have full fenders, but the bike has fender bosses if I did want to install em.

If I HAD to pick out of the two listed here, I'd get the Crux, but I'm partial to Specialized-eseses

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #22500
GP640
Beastly Adventurer
 
GP640's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NW AB
Oddometer: 3,445
sufferfest

I've been on the trainer pretty faithfully this season just cranking out an hour every day or so.
I figured I'd been doing pretty good until I tried out my Christmas present.

My loving wife got all the sufferfest videos for me. Today was the first try at Revolver.

Holy crap! I've never done a spin class or ridden intervals so it was incredible.
Anyone else doing the sufferfest or am I the only basement dwelling cycle masochist here?
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015