Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 515 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #22501
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I've been on the trainer pretty faithfully this season just cranking out an hour every day or so.
I figured I'd been doing pretty good until I tried out my Christmas present.

My loving wife got all the sufferfest videos for me. Today was the first try at Revolver.

Holy crap! I've never done a spin class or ridden intervals so it was incredible.
Anyone else doing the sufferfest or am I the only basement dwelling cycle masochist here?
I try like heck to avoid the trainer. I'm still outside.

M
Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #22502
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I try like heck to avoid the trainer. I'm still outside.

M
Yeah but you did notice where the OP lives right?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #22503
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yeah but you did notice where the OP lives right?

Ask AKDuc about riding outside. He's up in AK.

M
Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #22504
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

Ask AKDuc about riding outside. He's up in AK.

M
You ain't AKDuc either.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #22505
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Which I suppose can take seat post mount racks for minimalist touring, like this;
There are all kinds for handlebar bags, framebags and seatpost bags - those might be a good option for minimalist touring also.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #22506
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
You ain't AKDuc either.

Nope.

...but I'm still outside!

I win!

M
Old 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #22507
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Anyway, need help with additional info you guys may have on the bikes and rack below .

I am looking at setting up a cyclocross bike for short tours, most of the road around where I live are ok (a bit cracked and bumpy) for road bikes but...I may have to cross some bumpy/gravel/dirt to go on the type of trips I want.

I have a LOOK 566, all carbon so cannot take seatpost mount racks (or so I think)
I'm with "Gummee!", I wouldn't choose either of those bikes. I'd look for a steel, light-touring or all-arounder. He mentioned a couple of good options, though I'm not sure what all brands you have access to. And, what you're looking at is too much money for what you get.

You could outfit your existing bike with that rack, if you're not too heavy. Keep that rack as low as possible, on the seatpost. As mentioned, a handlebar or seat bag will work. There are some frame bags out there that'll work. Gilles Berthoud makes slim, carbon fiber fenders for race bikes. Tubus offers eyelet mounts that attach at your QRs that'll allow you to mount a standard rear rack. You can add a eyelet seatpost clamp to attach the upper rack mounts. Axiom offers a few different rear racks whose upper mount attaches to the center bolt of your rear brake. Lastly, go to your LBS and trial fit the largest tire that'll mount up. I've found 28mm to be about the largest that'll clear a standard road caliper. But, that'll help with the ride, on broken pavement, gravel, and dirt roads.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #22508
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That bike looks like it was designed by someone dead set against using current fatbike wheel setups.

I'm curious how those tires compare to big fat larrys or some such.

And also why they used that crazy complicated white brothers downhill fork.
It's a Hanebrink. They have been around for a long time...... I mean 20 yrs or more.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #22509
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Happy Birthday Mike!
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #22510
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
It's a Hanebrink. They have been around for a long time...... I mean 20 yrs or more.
Yeah, sort of picked that up when reading more on them. Still not sure if they have something really good there, or if it's just an idea that worked for a time when nothing else was available.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #22511
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Yeah, sort of picked that up when reading more on them. Still not sure if they have something really good there, or if it's just an idea that worked for a time when nothing else was available.
Yeah, they are really pricey. They have become more simple in recent years, they used to have a kind of two stage drive system to get the chain out that wide.... I think the current line of fatbikes makes MUCH more sense.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #22512
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
There are all kinds for handlebar bags, framebags and seatpost bags - those might be a good option for minimalist touring also.
Thanks

Most of the seatpost bags I come across are 3 litres capacity or below. I saw a link for some big ones, still searching for that again.

A seatpost bag will the neatest solution for me
Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #22513
inyang
5secs away

Quote:
The answer is really none of the above. What you want is something like the Salsa Vayo (a?) or Fargo, the Gunnar Crosshairs or Rock Tour, or other similar 'not built for racing' cross bikes. I don't remember rack bosses on the Crux I helped build.

My Crosshairs is very versatile. I've raced cross on it. Ridden dirt roads on it. etc. I don't have full fenders, but the bike has fender bosses if I did want to install em.

M
The Crosshairs come as frame only? I'll see how email friendly the folks there are. Easier to just get a fully built up bike though.

The Salsa is too MTB alike for me, I have an MTB for offroad and commuting stuff.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #22514
inyang
5secs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm with "Gummee!", I wouldn't choose either of those bikes. I'd look for a steel, light-touring or all-arounder. He mentioned a couple of good options, though I'm not sure what all brands you have access to. And, what you're looking at is too much money for what you get.

You could outfit your existing bike with that rack, if you're not too heavy. Keep that rack as low as possible, on the seatpost. As mentioned, a handlebar or seat bag will work. There are some frame bags out there that'll work. Gilles Berthoud makes slim, carbon fiber fenders for race bikes. Tubus offers eyelet mounts that attach at your QRs that'll allow you to mount a standard rear rack. You can add a eyelet seatpost clamp to attach the upper rack mounts. Axiom offers a few different rear racks whose upper mount attaches to the center bolt of your rear brake. Lastly, go to your LBS and trial fit the largest tire that'll mount up. I've found 28mm to be about the largest that'll clear a standard road caliper. But, that'll help with the ride, on broken pavement, gravel, and dirt roads.
Am not looking for a touring bike, more for a road bike that can take a bit of punishment and larger tyres.

Thanks, I'll look at the racks and mountings. I mounted a handlebar bag, then no room to mount a light!

I am 75kg at my upper limit, that is 165lb in Burmese units.

My preference is still for something like the mount in the pic below, remove the seatpost mount and you are back to your regular bike.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #22515
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
As many of my teammates have started "trainer regimens" for the winter, I found this particularly funny: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...rican-way.html

And I heartily endorse the "drinking beer" part.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: