Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #22561
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
I got one as a gift - a TT bike.
Yup, I looked back through the thread and saw the pics. Very nice bike.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #22562
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,038
Quote:
I got one as a gift - a TT bike. I want those pedals because 1. I'm not worried about weight(my other bike is 30lbs heavier than this one!), 2. I want to be able to use the pedals without clip in shoes for rides to the post office and what not and 3. i want a larger platform for pedaling.

Thanks for the links!
the SPD-on-one-side and platform-on-the-other pedals are a pain. you're having to flip them around all the time. standard double sided SPD pedals snap in and out quite easily once you get used to them.

when you're wearing the cleats, you don't need any platform, as the shoes are quite stiff to distribute the load on your foot.

as far as shoes to wear, check out the Shimano brand touring SPD shoes, they look like street shoes but have the cleat screws... also Keens makes some that are almost sandals, but have the cleat mounting ...

http://www.rei.com/product/811226/sh...e-shoes-womens

these are the Keens SPD compatible sandals...
http://www.rei.com/product/812177/ke...sandals-womens

pierce screwed with this post 12-31-2011 at 04:13 PM Reason: smaller picture
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #22563
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
the SPD-on-one-side and platform-on-the-other pedals are a pain. you're having to flip them around all the time. standard double sided SPD pedals snap in and out quite easily once you get used to them.

when you're wearing the cleats, you don't need any platform, as the shoes are quite stiff to distribute the load on your foot.

as far as shoes to wear, check out the Shimano brand touring SPD shoes, they look like street shoes but have the cleat screws... also Keens makes some that are almost sandals, but have the cleat mounting ...
Thanks for the info - I did get the shoes already: Link

Brand new at REI used gear sale for $14.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #22564
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
also Keens makes some that are almost sandals, but have the cleat mounting ...
I've seen a couple of brands of those. What exactly is the point/advantage of wearing sandals on a mountain bike? Nice cool, comfy, airy feet? In my brain, I'm thinking I want something to protect the sides of my feet from rocks, branches, etc. Thoughts?

BTW: I'm in total product shock right now. I was last into mountain bikes in 1993 and probably haven't been in a shop since 1994-95. The advancement in bicycles and accessories have gone to in the past 18 years is amazing...much more than the motorcycle world.

And the prices: my last helmet was a really fugly styrofoam thing that you couldn't tell back from front and it cost $30ish dollars in 1993. Anything nice looking was over $100. An hour ago, I bought a nice looking, nice fitting, well vented Specialized helmet for $40. Wow.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #22565
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Got ~30 miles in on the Pugs on thursday with a buddy of mine.

When it all seemed like a good idea:

I had nothing to do with beer cans in the snow by my bike, honest.

And then we found the limits of fat tires. ~4 inches of lake effect on top of existing snow with only a couple recent snowmobile passes is pretty much impassable. Although I'm sure it was funny watching us try.

Good to find that the upper limit of a pugs is pretty much where the backcountry skiing gets good...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #22566
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
I've seen a couple of brands of those. What exactly is the point/advantage of wearing sandals on a mountain bike? Nice cool, comfy, airy feet? In my brain, I'm thinking I want something to protect the sides of my feet from rocks, branches, etc. Thoughts?
Keens have a big toe shield... I've not tried their cycling sandals, but I have a pair of the regular Keens 'Newport' (thats their classic original style) that I wear all summer long both around town and for casual hikes.

they offer pretty good foot protection for everything short of hard core brush crashing. your ankles are exposed, but they are on any lowtop shoe. as long as your foot is traveling forward, stuff isn't very likely to poke in from the sides.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #22567
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Got ~30 miles in on the Pugs on thursday with a buddy of mine.

Good to find that the upper limit of a pugs is pretty much where the backcountry skiing gets good...
That's excellent! I feel like such a wimp for my 20-mile quick ride around the neighborhood in 72F weather.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #22568
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,676
From a tourists point of view.

Sandals ROCK! They are insanely versatile. Everything from nothing on with them to two layers of wool socks. Rain or sun I LOVE mine!!!

Mountainbiking....... not so much. We have sharp rocks up north.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #22569
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,253
Quote:
Agreed. My GF rides those Shimano SPD/platform things, on one of her bikes, and is always messing about trying to flip them and get clicked in. She goes with it, though. I'm not riding her bike, nor did I choose the pedals, so I don't say anything.

Quote:
when you're wearing the cleats, you don't need any platform, as the shoes are quite stiff to distribute the load on your foot..
Agreed. Unless you're racing, a more casual cycling shoe is plenty adequate.

Quote:
I picked up a pair of Specialized Tahoe at 50% off. They are the only shoe I wear (road and MTB) and have never had any foot discomfort. I enjoy getting off the bike and being able to walk around like a normal person. I will say that I can feel them "wrap around" CB Eggbeaters and that they feel much better on the CB Candys. As far as wearing dedicated road or MTB shoes, never again. There's just too much compromise and inconvenience.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #22570
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Amazing how riding in the mtns works... Gotta pay to play.

I 'grew up' mtn biking around VA Tech. Same situation: Up, up, up, up... to get down! down!

...and that was on a 30# Rockhopper! (started out rigid at 27# but that Manitou 2 was SO worth it!)

M
Yes indeedy on the pay to play part. Not sure if it was the wind on Friday, or the creek crossings on Monday that brought on this nasty bronchitis... hack, cough, etc. Did you ride Pandapas Pond or Brush Mountain when you were at Tech? One of these days I'm gonna get up there.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #22571
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
"PARIS BREST PARIS The long ride toward a distant dawn"

http://vimeo.com/34120002

Mostly in French with English subtitles - worth a watch though.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #22572
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
I want one of these, for about 1 tenth of the asking price. It is simply beautiful.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #22573
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I want one of these, for about 1 tenth of the asking price. It is simply beautiful.

it would give you a place to put this sticker!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #22574
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Thanks for the info - I did get the shoes already: Link

Brand new at REI used gear sale for $14.
While those'd be great for JRA, for longer rides you'll want A. road pedals and B. road/tri shoes. Coupla reasons, but the biggest is stiffness. That little bitty cleat under there leads to hot spots after a while. Especially in shoes designed to be 'walk-able.'

Today's ride:
Mid 50s in the NoVA/DC area. Had to go for a ride!

2:45 Rode to meet a buddy halfway between us, then back towards his place before turning back north and home.

What'd you do?

M
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #22575
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Did you ride Pandapas Pond or Brush Mountain when you were at Tech? One of these days I'm gonna get up there.
Yeah. Lots to both.

I preferred Price's Mtn tho. Less people. Better trail network. Now I hear its illegal to ride it.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: