Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 314 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #22696
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
For sure, a badass bike. We don't see those around here, as it's really too much bike for our terrain.

Thanks man! It's a huge huge bike, most money I've ever spent on anything without a motor. I'm what the biking industry calls a clydesdale, (6'8", 275 lbs.) so I'm interested to see how the pivots and susp holds up because I like to ride as hard as I can. I was assured by Fox, Giant and my lbs that the bike was built to handle my weight and riding style (even some lift served downhill). We'll see! maybe I'll throw up some pics soon.

Does anyone know of a good mountain bike club in CT? Just looking to join up and meet people who love to ride that aren't douschers (not that I've met any yet)
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #22697
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Thanks man! It's a huge huge bike, most money I've ever spent on anything without a motor.
With MTBs, one can definitely tell the difference in the performance vs cost ratio; definitely don't skimp. My GF rode my spare MTB (Anthem 1), in replacement of her fully rigid MTB. All it took was one ride for her to step up and buy a FS rig. Her old MTB is, now, her town bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
I'm what the biking industry calls a clydesdale, (6'8", 275 lbs.) so I'm interested to see how the pivots and susp holds up because I like to ride as hard as I can. I was assured by Fox, Giant and my lbs that the bike was built to handle my weight and riding style (even some lift served downhill).
My MTB partner, mentioned a few pages back, is a big dude (6' 4" @ ~260lbs), like you. He broke his GF HiFi Pro and the Fox fork internally broke something. Trek replaced his frame with a EX9 and Fox repaired and upgraded his fork and shock. The Fox tech said the fork issue was from the high psi he was running to support his weight. He upgraded the axles to 15mm/12mm thru-axles, into an all-mountain wheelset, and is, now, looking at a 203mm front rotor upgrade. Anyway, the breakages had him considering of going to an all-mountain MTB and was looking at Specialized Enduros. Like you, we'll see what happens with this setup. I'm just glad I'm of normal weight and size, as I couldn't afford to replace everything he's broken, over the years.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #22698
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,111
That is amazing. Nice work.

I need to carefully build miles and time in the saddle. When I am in the saddle I keep my spin up. I don't worry so much about speed, but focus on time and feeling my way with how hard it is to breathe, and spin. If my spin slows, I drop down a gear. I'm averaging about 15 to 16 mph and can manage that for about three hours right now. That last mile climb back to the house kills me still.

This time of the year I can gain just a bit by riding 4 to 6 hours on the weekends and running and walking during the week.
Last night the wife and I went for a half hour walk. We live in big hills so walking at almost 4 mph we had a good workout.

I got some new pretty white bar wrap so I can return my bike to stock look. Plus I like the wite tape look better than the more practical black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
So I just finished week 4 of Time Crunched Cyclist. Today was just 2 hours endurance miles at zone 2. Ended up with 49 miles average speed 21.7mph. Total of 417 miles for the month. This week will be a rest week. Need to clean and lube the bike.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #22699
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

When I was in college and working for Coors on the can line, (QC); we had to sign an NDA. And not just for beer or canning related stuff. Anything.
That was supposed to tie me up for three years I think.
I signed one when I worked for Intergraph, then for a itty-bitty laser radar place, then at Boeing.
Mostly non-competes can only really be defended for like industries. Like if I went off and started building commercial jets.

Motorcycle shops never asked to sign one.
And I liked those jobs best of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Every computer company I've worked for, you sign a NDA and rights of invention agreement, anything you do on company time is theirs, period. anything you do off company time that is closely related to their business, they also have first refusal on any inventions. If you do something on your own time that's in a different line of business, its yours. I understand this. If I'm working as a engineer (or whatever) for International Widgets, its pretty natural for me to get a idea for a better widget, and even if I develop that on my own time, there's a very definite conflict of interest and I am in breach of that covenant. Even if these guys are claiming they were in hte water bottle division, they were working inside Specialized, and exposed to all sorts of things, chatting with coworkers at lunch, whatever.

As someone said above, Specialed does have a long and sordid history of coming down hard on anything resembling design, copyright, or trademark violations, protecting their brand.

FWIW, I also have several Specialized bikes too... and a fair amount of gear. I'm not taking sides.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #22700
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Motorcycle shops never asked to sign one.
And I liked those jobs best of all.
Same here.

Fortunately, I get to help out around a bike shop. That's a hobby/sport I thoroughly enjoy and am around like-minded people.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #22701
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
That is amazing. Nice work.

I need to carefully build miles and time in the saddle. When I am in the saddle I keep my spin up. I don't worry so much about speed, but focus on time and feeling my way with how hard it is to breathe, and spin. If my spin slows, I drop down a gear. I'm averaging about 15 to 16 mph and can manage that for about three hours right now. That last mile climb back to the house kills me still.

This time of the year I can gain just a bit by riding 4 to 6 hours on the weekends and running and walking during the week.
Last night the wife and I went for a half hour walk. We live in big hills so walking at almost 4 mph we had a good workout.

I got some new pretty white bar wrap so I can return my bike to stock look. Plus I like the wite tape look better than the more practical black.
I'm surprised that I can ride as long and strong as I can in the Aerobic zone since I am a 20 year, pack a day ex-smoker. Climbs and sprints kick my ass. I'm hoping this workout program fixes that since I live on the bench of the Wasatch front. All the best rides are climbs. I am finding that I am working further up the cassette to maintain the same heart rate. I pretty much ride 90-100 rpm cadence all the time except climbs. I can sprint up to 120-130 rpm for very short periods. I would like to get into some group rides and learn to paceline.
soewe812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #22702
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
With MTBs, one can definitely tell the difference in the performance vs cost ratio; definitely don't skimp. My GF rode my spare MTB (Anthem 1), in replacement of her fully rigid MTB. All it took was one ride for her to step up and buy a FS rig. Her old MTB is, now, her town bike.

My MTB partner, mentioned a few pages back, is a big dude (6' 4" @ ~260lbs), like you. He broke his GF HiFi Pro and the Fox fork internally broke something. Trek replaced his frame with a EX9 and Fox repaired and upgraded his fork and shock. The Fox tech said the fork issue was from the high psi he was running to support his weight. He upgraded the axles to 15mm/12mm thru-axles, into an all-mountain wheelset, and is, now, looking at a 203mm front rotor upgrade. Anyway, the breakages had him considering of going to an all-mountain MTB and was looking at Specialized Enduros. Like you, we'll see what happens with this setup. I'm just glad I'm of normal weight and size, as I couldn't afford to replace everything he's broken, over the years.

Yeah, I totally agree. I actually never broke anything on my Rockhopper, and I rode that thing hard, even jumped a few doubles on it. I may actually be a smoother rider than I realized because it's not the first time I've heard of other who are smaller than me breaking stuff. The only thing I often did was blow the wheels way out of true, had to get them trued every few months. The Reign has 15/12mm thru axles (I believe) and Fox says you can have 300psi in the susp. I have 250 in the front and 280 in the rear IIRC, along with a small lower volume sleeve in the rear shock. My LBS was telling me that if I start bottoming often, they can further reduce the volume in the rear shock. It's nice to know I have more adjustability in the rear. I continue to try and lose weight to make this less of an issue, but it's not as easy in the winter I'm finding. A year or two down the road, I could see myself upgrading to a coil rear with a super heavy spring if the RP2 proves to be an issue.

I'm going to put another 2-3 ride on it and bring it in for a tune to get everything tightened back up and adjusted for the cable/chain stretch and all that. I'll let you guys know how it holds up. Can't wait to get back out in the woods with this thing.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #22703
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Back in my prime I was a climber. Almost nobody could stay with me once the red mist descended. I actually remember liking how my vision would narrow at high altitude. Cheap high?

My knees were blew up in high school football, down hill ski racing and ice hockey took a few good whacks too. So, I've always been a spinner, (training from Andy Pruit back in that day). I had almost no sprint and couldn't muscle a gear, but I could spin to 130 if I needed to and pick up a cog or two on a climb when I needed to as well.
Once I can get back to between 200 and 300 miles a week I can climb harder, longer, and steeper. Plenty of all that around here.

Pacelines rock
A group of us once did the front half of the front range century motorpacing behind a pair of Cat I's on a tandem. 45 to 55 mph was a breeze for a double paceline. The tri-guys would make one circuit through the line and out the back they'd go, never to be seen again. Those big bio-chase rings just didn't cut it. Then the tandem headed to Boulder and our pack broke up. The aid stations were not set up yet, we'd gone out so fast, so we grabbed what might work for a while at the store and wandered off to train with the dogs.
I was averaging more than a thousand miles a month back then, and going to school, and working in the motorcycle shop.

I worked with a kid who smoked and would go out on his mtb and run away from me on my mtb. We finally found some hills to get his lungs attention on.
Climbing builds some good power. I used to use a mile long semi-shallow hill for intervals. An hour or so of that would make my legs turn to stone. And then spin the next day felt like I had a tail wind.

Quote:
I'm surprised that I can ride as long and strong as I can in the Aerobic zone since I am a 20 year, pack a day ex-smoker. Climbs and sprints kick my ass. I'm hoping this workout program fixes that since I live on the bench of the Wasatch front. All the best rides are climbs. I am finding that I am working further up the cassette to maintain the same heart rate. I pretty much ride 90-100 rpm cadence all the time except climbs. I can sprint up to 120-130 rpm for very short periods. I would like to get into some group rides and learn to paceline.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #22704
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,062
Quote:
Climbs and sprints kick my ass.
Climbs and sprints kick everybody's asses. They just get faster as you get in better shape.

Today was great: mid-40s at the start of my ride. 50-ish at the end. Roads only so-so wet. Legs didn't really feel it, but hey! there's 3 more hours coming tomorrow... I'm gonna get out early 'cause the weather guessers are sayin PM rain.

Traded some stuff for an Assos 851 jacket. I think its gonna be too warm to wear it tomorrow. Oh well. I'll take too warm to wear the bomber jacket over freezing any day!

M
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #22705
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,987
Beautiful day here...spectacular even. I had a dental appt which made me a little late getting home but I did manage two of my regular loops....18 miles at 20.8 mph average.

A year ago, I could barely make 13 mph average. Sure feels good now to run faster.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #22706
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,062
So I get all dressed up for the mid-30s temps we're having today. Gotta get out early 'cause the weather guessers are saying 'PM showers'

Guess what its doing as I wander out the door?

Yup. Showering.

Now, I'm not usually one to back off from riding once I'm all dressed, but in the mid-30s, overcast, etc I don't think its the smartest thing I could do.

Ah well. Gotta run some errands today anyway.

M
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #22707
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Didn't ride,
Ran instead last night. Darkish outside, wife wasn't home so I suited up and ran up and around the hill.
Not as bad as my first time up and around that knob.

I strained one calf muscle descending along the goofy sidewalk. I think they use the same guys to lay concrete as they do to build the supercross track.

I started using an iPhone app, Lose It to track my eating and exercise. Neat trade-off is run for an hour and get two glasses of wine.

I'm into serious lose the middle mode now. Run or walk or a little of both every night during the week and ride on the weekends. I'd like to get to three laps of the hill for a night that would be amazing.
I'm leaning more and more toward the barefoot running thing. This stuff works for me.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #22708
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Fatbikes are to XC skiers like snowboarders were to alpine skiers back in the late eights.

We're clearly going to ruin everything!

So we've been banned from most of the XC ski trails.

But it's snowing tonight.

In a couple hours you'll never know we were there.

Riding in full on stealth mode at night. No lights.

It's kind of cool how fast you can go on a groomed skate trail like that.

I only went off the trail and endoed once.

P.S. A 16" moonlander just touched down at a local bike shop. If you know anybody that's looking for one, PM me.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #22709
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
flamesuit on

besides a couple trail rides most of my rides have been on a trainer. My girlfriend asked for and got the proform tdf bike for xmas.

yesterday I rode stage 12 of the preloaded tdf stages. Started with a 10% climb that hit 19.5% a couple times and lasted almost 4 miles. We don't have those kind of hills in Florida. Good thing being I haven't missed a day in 2 weeks. Getting my cycling legs back wohoo.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #22710
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
besides a couple trail rides most of my rides have been on a trainer. My girlfriend asked for and got the proform tdf bike for xmas.
So what is the general consensus on these?
For those of us that can't (don't want to) get to a spin class, they don't look half bad.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: