User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #22846
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,898
I hadn't thought of a longer seat post! That may be just the ticket to get me through the up coming summer. Follow up question: With a longer seat, would I need to also raise the handle bars? The seat and bars are pretty much level as it is, and I don't think I would want to lean over that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
They make 410mm seatposts... Way cheaper than a new frame. IF you wanna upgrade frames, look used and check places like Price Point and PBS/Nashbar for sale frames.

M
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #22847
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That guy is a match sprinter. If he rides more'n a few KM at a time, I'll be surprised. His races are either 200m (sprint) or 6-8 laps (keirin)
I wouldn't be surprised. They still ride a ton of miles; a lot more than either of us. There's no way those guys would be competitive, if they didn't put in miles, whether it be on a track or open road.

Fabian has tree tunks, for legs. And, we all know how far and fast he can ride.

Likewise, Cadel has huge legs; some of the biggest in the peloton. Again, we know what he can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Those look like the legs of sprinters. TDF racers don't have unusually muscular thighs.

As mentioned in my original post, "other than GC contenders". I used Robert's legs as an extreme example.

The GC guys are almost always thinner than the peloton, as they've got to be good in the mountains. They atrophy their bodies, for TdF. The rest of the peloton are muscular and shield the GC guys, anytime they're not in the mountains. They're the ones who pound out the long, hard miles. Again, take a look at the whole team; not just the GC guy.

ducnut screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 01:18 PM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #22848
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I hadn't thought of a longer seat post! That may be just the ticket to get me through the up coming summer. Follow up question: With a longer seat, would I need to also raise the handle bars? The seat and bars are pretty much level as it is, and I don't think I would want to lean over that much
Longer stem will help open up the cockpit. Be sure to use a MTB stem; not a road stem.

As for 29 versus 26, you need to ride them back-to-back, as I have a 29er and really miss my 26" XC bike. There's definitely some bulk in a 29er. It depends on the kind of riding you do, too. A 29er is like a monster truck; it'll go over about anything and takes a bit to get it up and rolling. But, once up and going it goes. Check local shops for rental options. Ride everything you can, before you buy.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #22849
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I had the same problem, but I kept listening to the advice from experienced cyclists to wait it out until my butt would eventually toughen up. I wish now that I'd never listened to them! Instead of needlessly putting yourself through a lot pain and suffering, try out a number of different seats until you find one that works for you. I switched to an Adamo Road Saddle, and it made an enormous difference in comfort - like night and day!
Well, that depends.

"RxZ" mentioned he'd been off the bike. I'd assume the seat was good, before the break. Therefore, it'll just take some time for his glutes to get used to sitting on something again. As his muscles regain density, they'll better tolerate seat pressure.

However, if he'd always had discomfort, then, a different seat would be in order. The way I determine saddle issues is the type of pain I feel. If it's deep down, it's more muscular and related to me. If it's pain more on the surface, as in skin/outer muscle pain, I start looking.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #22850
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Well, that depends.

"RxZ" mentioned he'd been off the bike. I'd assume the seat was good, before the break. Therefore, it'll just take some time for his glutes to get used to sitting on something again. As his muscles regain density, they'll better tolerate seat pressure.

However, if he'd always had discomfort, then, a different seat would be in order. The way I determine saddle issues is the type of pain I feel. If it's deep down, it's more muscular and related to me. If it's pain more on the surface, as in skin/outer muscle pain, I start looking.
With me, it's the sharp 'blades' of the hip girdle that carry all the weight. There are no muscles between them and the seat to act as an extra cushion. One added benefit of the Adamo Road Saddle which I didn't mention previously is that it allows me to shift my position to relieve the pain when it begins to set in, whereas with traditionally shaped seats, the pain would be just as severe no matter how I sat on them. I'm also told that there's a type of gel you can apply to your skin to lessen the pain even further, but it's not a product I've ever tried.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #22851
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Oh, cool. Thanks for the explanation. Crazy course- is urban downhill a big thing in Columbia/S.A. in general?
Colombia has a huge bicycle tradition, specially when it comes to road biking, after all we have mountains everywhere, they also have a pretty wide fan base for mountain biking and BMX so is kind of natural from time to time to find world class talent, funny i use to be a downhill racer (94/96) but is no way i can do what they do on this video
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #22852
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,446
Quote:
I used to do heavy squats/leg presses, but on the bicycle, people with far less leg strength could easily outpace me after a few minutes.
That's cardio.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #22853
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
And about that - where is the best place to do mapping inquiries for a long bike ride? I'm trying to map out my end of the year goal ride and using google, it seems like it doesn't take anything in to consideration other than shortest distance on roads that bikes are allowed on. I'd like a more intelligent routing program, something that doesn't take me up and over a series of giant hills instead of following the road along the river because it's .2 miles shorter over a 17 mile stretch. Does anything exist?

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #22854
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,874
Quote:
Fourth, I think I could use a better bike. The guys I was with were on 29 inchers, vs my 26. Also, they had tires that were built wider and with lower air pressures than the type my MTB has. I was watching how they negotiated terrain, and in many spots that I had to power through they seemed to just "float" over. I really don't know the pros/cons of a 29 inch bike over a 26 inch one, but it seems to be the norm from what I saw out there. Also, my bike is too small for me. Seat is as far up as I dare put it, and still not high enough for my legs. Knees are coming up way too high while pedaling.
I've actually been training this winter, and went for my first mtn bike ride of the year yesterday instead of watching men in tight pants run around after a guy holding a leather ball. Good fun, great weather for it. I have an older Fisher Cake with 120mm travel front/rear, which is plently for around here. Even with the rocks and drops, it works fine. The bike problem I have is the bike's motor. I still get outpaced by guys on no suspension single speeds. It ain't the bike.

Set up your current bike so its comfortable and fits you well. Then work on your precision, your line choice. And your cardio.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #22855
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Fourth, I think I could use a better bike. The guys I was with were on 29 inchers, vs my 26. Also, they had tires that were built wider and with lower air pressures than the type my MTB has. I was watching how they negotiated terrain, and in many spots that I had to power through they seemed to just "float" over. I really don't know the pros/cons of a 29 inch bike over a 26 inch one, but it seems to be the norm from what I saw out there. Also, my bike is too small for me. Seat is as far up as I dare put it, and still not high enough for my legs. Knees are coming up way too high while pedaling.
you might just try some new high end mountain tires in 26, a lot cheaper than a new bike... 26'ers are more maneuverable on tight trails, while 29ers are better on more open/fast stuff.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #22856
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
One added benefit of the Adamo Road Saddle which I didn't mention previously is that it allows me to shift my position to relieve the pain when it begins to set in, whereas with traditionally shaped seats, the pain would be just as severe no matter how I sat on them.
My GF runs the Racing model on her tri bike. Not for me. It's like sitting on a sculpted 2 X 4.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #22857
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Depends.

Try it with just the seatpost first. Leaning over isn't bad. (and it's easily rectified with riser bars)

M
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #22858
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,920
Ahh, much better. Temp was 45, but since I knew what it really was, I dressed correctly and had a good 25 mile ride.
Thanks for the inspiration to get out there.
Now I just need that sun to stay up a bit longer so I can get my ride in without skipping out of work early.....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #22859
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My GF runs the Racing model on her tri bike. Not for me. It's like sitting on a sculpted 2 X 4.
That's what I expected it to be like when I first saw one. It looks like some torture device, and I couldn't imagine how sitting on those two "prongs" in front could be tolerable for more than a few seconds, but somehow it works wonders for me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #22860
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 884
Trials bikes? We don't need no steenkin' trials bikes!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: