Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #23146
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I know what you're saying, but I've been told by a number of sources that in order to maximize muscle growth, the protein must be ingested immediately after the workout. Since I usually finish my ride between lunch and dinner, taking along a protein bar is one of the few options open to me.
Muscle Milk is another product that may suit your needs. I've used it in both from powder to the premixed bottles. It seems to help me recover more quickly. To me the powdered form mixed with water is more palatable than the premix and it is more portable.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #23147
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud View Post
Well hello to all again.. it's been quite some time since I've come out to play...I wanted to mark this section of the conversation so I can come back to it later to add my .02....

I've had a 'lil' experience in this category (as some of you might know me?? who know, maybe all are gone from here by now)...

PS, If anybody is interested, I am selling one of my bikes... 2010 Orbea Onix w/upgraded 3T fork...$1500...http://www.ebay.com/itm/320849435752...84.m1555.l2649

I will be introducing my newest soon (BH)
Welcome back.

We (at least I) missed you

M
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #23148
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
300 Miles of Gravel

Whetting the appetite: The Trans Iowa

300 Miles of Gravel Trailer from Jeff Frings Photography on Vimeo.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #23149
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Re: protein bars and whatnot. Check out bariatric food and supply sites online. Post-op weight loss surgery patients need high protein diets.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #23150
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
I know what you're saying, but I've been told by a number of sources that in order to maximize muscle growth, the protein must be ingested immediately after the workout. Since I usually finish my ride between lunch and dinner, taking along a protein bar is one of the few options open to me.
As mentioned, a protein/recovery drink is going to be your best best. The body more easily absorbs the liquid, over solids. They won't ruin your evening appetite, either. However, a light, afternoon snack is not a bad thing. Low fat chocolate milk is another option. A lot of pro triathletes drink it, post-ride.

I mix Hammer Recoverite with OJ/pineapple juice. I've never awoken sore, the following AM, regardless of what I did the day before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Some of the guys I ride with on longer rides, bring along Beef Jerky.
My GF used to do that, too. When she kept bonking on 'em, she quit taking them. YMMV, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
um, cane juice and brown rice syrup ARE sugars.

anyways, those are 'energy' bars, not protein bars. most of the calories are sugars, backed by some grains and starches.
Many of your, commonly available, bars are going to have calories derived from sugars. However, where those sugars are derived from is very important. Look up exactly what cane juice, brown rice syrup, and sugar/cane sugar/white cane sugar (sucrose) are and how they're made. There's a huge difference between them. In short, the less processing, the better it is for you.

Lastly, go back to my post and nose around the nutritional facts and ingredient lists of the Kashi stuff. Then, go look at your favored Clif Builder bar nutritional facts and ingredient list. What you'll find is that the grams of protein to calorie ratio is very similar. You'll find that Clif markets that bar as an energy bar. Also, you'll find similar ingredients, including some of the same sweeteners as Kashi. Many of those ingredients are protein sources. I exclusively ate Clif, for 3 years. Personally, I'll take the reduced caloric intake and better taste of the Kashi products over Clif, anyday.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #23151
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
I posted that on my FB wall, last night, as I was roaming Gravel Grinder News.

I'm looking at The Cedar Cross. Once the weather breaks and I get back up to doing centuries, I'll get more serious about it. I'm having tons of arm/hand issues, as previously mentioned, so I don't want commit to it, yet. I see a physiatrist, next week. Hopefully, he can give me a definitive answer as to why I'm worsening, post-surgery. If I end up on an USS recumbent, I won't be able to do rides like The Cedar Cross. Only time will tell.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #23152
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I posted that on my FB wall, last night, as I was roaming Gravel Grinder News.

I'm looking at The Cedar Cross. Once the weather breaks and I get back up to doing centuries, I'll get more serious about it. I'm having tons of arm/hand issues, as previously mentioned, so I don't want commit to it, yet. I see a physiatrist, next week. Hopefully, he can give me a definitive answer as to why I'm worsening, post-surgery. If I end up on an USS recumbent, I won't be able to do rides like The Cedar Cross. Only time will tell.
Good luck to you.....
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #23153
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Who are you?
Phuck You....

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #23154
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
However, where those sugars are derived from is very important. Look up exactly what cane juice, brown rice syrup, and sugar/cane sugar/white cane sugar (sucrose) are and how they're made. There's a huge difference between them. In short, the less processing, the better it is for you.
cane syrup is about 60% sucrose in water. it may have traces of molasses, which is just dirty sugars

brown rice syrup is 45% maltose, 3% glucose, and 52% maltotriose, with just enough water to make it liquid.... maltose is somewhere in between sucrose and glucose on the glycemic scale, its pretty much dual glucose (while cane sugar's Sucrose is a glucose bonded with a fructose which is a 'flipped' glucose).

brown sugars may taste better, but they really aren't any healthier than any other form, health food propaganda or not.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #23155
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #23156
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
Eh? Another reason not to ride on the street

"A bus driver who used his vehicle 'like a weapon' to ram a cyclist off the road has been jailed for 17 months.
Reckless driver Gavin Hill, 29, swerved into cyclist Phillip Mead after getting into an argument at a roundabout in Bristol.
Mr Mead was flung over his handlebars and catapulted 10ft across the road. He suffered a broken leg and fractured wrist.
As he lay on the ground in agony, the driver simply straightened up the single decker bus and continued on the journey."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...list-road.html
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #23157
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not to get too sidetracked, but, people bitch and moan about their privacy, when it comes to cameras. There are so many malicious acts caught on these cameras, not to mention known terrorists, that I wouldn't have a problem with them. Like most here, I've had unprovoked shit happen to me. These cameras provide the proof.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #23158
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Not to get too sidetracked, but, people bitch and moan about their privacy, when it comes to cameras. There are so many malicious acts caught on these cameras, not to mention known terrorists, that I wouldn't have a problem with them. Like most here, I've had unprovoked shit happen to me. These cameras provide the proof.
Yup. Can't stand revenue, sorry, speed cameras but I can't say I mind red light cameras nearly as much.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #23159
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,897
Ever since I changed the rear tire on my 29er the rear brake rotor has been dragging. Two 10 mile rides and I've had enough. I've tried adjusting the skewers and it has not helped. The rear wheel stops rotating after 2-3 revolutions when spun by hand. Any tips?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #23160
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Ever since I changed the rear tire on my 29er the rear brake rotor has been dragging. Two 10 mile rides and I've had enough. I've tried adjusting the skewers and it has not helped. The rear wheel stops rotating after 2-3 revolutions when spun by hand. Any tips?
Loosen the caliper bolts. Squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts, at the same time. That should center the caliper.

Also, double-check the wheel position, again. Put the bike on the ground, release the skewer, and re-lock it. The wheel may not be in the dropout exactly right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: