Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #23206
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I'm no great shakes on the trail (by far), but that dude on the orange bike makes me look like Tomac!
I thought the same thing. Dude couldn't pick a line to save his life.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #23207
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Loosen the caliper bolts. Squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts, at the same time. That should center the caliper.

Also, double-check the wheel position, again. Put the bike on the ground, release the skewer, and re-lock it. The wheel may not be in the dropout exactly right.
Thanks for the caliper bolts advice. Much better now.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #23208
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I should add.
It was a manual program. You just clicked where you wanted to go and it figured it out for you.

I am not a smartphone person......
I think http://ridewithgps.com/ might be what you're looking for- it's a nice, simple site to use.

Oh, and Oznerol- welcome to the bay area. I'm mostly moto these days, and not riding the pedal bike much this winter, but there's tons of great riding around here. I mt. bike in Marin and the east bay, some nice trails in both places. For road riding, I think Marin and parts north of there (Sonoma county) is the best bet, but there's good stuff everywhere.

I love supermotos, but for one bike, I'd get something a bit larger- there's such fabulous riding up in the sierras and northern california (hwy 36, lost coast, klamath river area), that you won't want to miss it. I'd probably look for sv650/Ninja 650/versys or something like that. Not that you couldn't do it all with a Ninja 250, you just might find yourself avoiding the rides where a little freeway is unavoidable. . . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #23209
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,415
google has a pedometer that'll do manual routing.

Google is your friend.

Woke up at 0500 with a really nifty headache. Felt like crapola so I didn't ride today. S'OK cause I'm on an easy week.

Going to the opposite end of the state Wed to fetch a Husky TE250.

M
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #23210
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
several folks on this thread are using Strava to plot GPS tracks of their rides, like http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=21716
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #23211
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I think http://ridewithgps.com/ might be what you're looking for- it's a nice, simple site to use.
That is SWEET! Thanks!

I am a map guy.... Sometimes I just head out and want to figure out how far I went after the fact (I don't use a computer either). I really don't want to carry my GPS. I have the most fun when I keep it simple.

Did I mention I am a tourist?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #23212
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
I am a map guy.... Sometimes I just head out and want to figure out how far I went after the fact (I don't use a computer either). I really don't want to carry my GPS. I have the most fun when I keep it simple.
Ditto, I have a (worthless) major in geography to prove it. I just don't get much satisfaction from staring at a gps screen, useful as it may be. That site is pretty good though, for figuring out what you rode, and for sharing it with others.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #23213
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Got in a quick ride today. Had a spare hour and decided to go for a ride. I wanted to do a loop and had an idea of one that would take about 45 min or so....

It was about 43 degrees with a fierce south/east/west wind (you know what I mean).

I left my house and headed north with a tailwind (didn't realize this at the time). once I turned to start heading in the loop it seemed like the wind was always in my face. I was actually looking forward to hills so I could get a break from the wind....
All in all it was a nice ride. 12 miles (what I needed the mapping software for) in about an hour, not bad for Feb 20th.

Right now we have about an inch of snow on the ground.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #23214
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Got in a quick ride today....

Right now we have about an inch of snow on the ground.

And now we have about three inches. I'm glad I got out this weekend. Twenty-four miles on Saturday and thirty on Sunday. All the while out I was reflecting on the fact that last year there was still two feet of snow on the ground and it was still pretty darned cold!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #23215
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,415
According to the weather guessers, its supposed to be in the 60s here tomorrow and Thurs.

In Feb!

May get a chance to work on my tan lines s'more.

M
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #23216
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
According to the weather guessers, its supposed to be in the 60s here tomorrow and Thurs.

In Feb!

May get a chance to work on my tan lines s'more.

M
I am *definitely* getting out on the roads early this afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #23217
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

In Feb!
My goodness, that is unusually cold for this time of year.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #23218
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Bicycling and cops

On occasion when I've been out cycling, I've left my wallet in the car or at home. There's no law in FL requiring anyone to carry ID with them at all times, so I wonder what would happen if a cop stopped me for running a stop sign on one of those occasions when I had no ID with me. Anyone have that happen?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #23219
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
On occasion when I've been out cycling, I've left my wallet in the car or at home. There's no law in FL requiring anyone to carry ID with them at all times, so I wonder what would happen if a cop stopped me for running a stop sign on one of those occasions when I had no ID with me. Anyone have that happen?
Since you're operating a vehicle that has to abide by the rules of the road, I'd think you'd be required to carry some sort of ID. You might check with the local PD or FSP.

I never leave without a license, emergency contact info, cash, and credit card.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #23220
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Since you're operating a vehicle that has to abide by the rules of the road, I'd think you'd be required to carry some sort of ID. You might check with the local PD or FSP.

I never leave without a license, emergency contact info, cash, and credit card.
I agree that it's wise to carry ID (especially if I go any significant distance), but I just wondered how police deal with such cases. There are for example loads of kids riding bicycles on public streets, and I seriously doubt they carry any form of ID.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: