User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #23311
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
I'm in the market for some new shorts. I have worn my Pearl Izumi shorts out but they've been very good to me so I know I want good quality shorts.

Any suggestions ?

What's the scoop with bib shorts - what do they give you ordinary shorts don't ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #23312
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Aurelius; I also just bought a FS 6" bike and do not regret my purchase in the least. I bought a 2012 Giant Reign 2 for $2,065+ tx OTD, due to there not being any leftover XL sized bikes from anyone!

In short, I freaking LOVE this bike. Until this past Fall, I was a die hard rigid/HT guy having grown up on BMX bikes. The first two rides on this thing, it felt a little heavy, a little squishy compared to my HT. After dialing in the suspension like a noob, my bike shop was able to give me some great pointers (along with some member here) and the bike felt 100% better. It's just about perfect right now. I've added tall, wide bars, platform pedals, a new seat and a bash guard. I can say it's easily the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Would I win races with it? Probably not. But for $2k, I think it was money very well spent. I would definitely reccomend FS, but test ride first.
I'm pretty much sold on an FS. I've only gotten as far as test riding one in a parking lot, but it did feel amazingly compliant while going over speed bumps at a fairly brisk pace. My rigid road bike, by contrast, will shake your fillings loose just riding over a twig.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #23313
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm in the market for some new shorts. I have worn my Pearl Izumi shorts out but they've been very good to me so I know I want good quality shorts.

Any suggestions ?

What's the scoop with bib shorts - what do they give you ordinary shorts don't ?

Cheers
COMFORT. Seriously, a huge upgrade. From my roadie skinny days (gawd, I hope I can at least make it half - even a quarter, of the way back there) to my, um, expanded days. Freakin awesome not to have the dreaded short creep down or uncomfortable waistband digging in. Stay tuned, I'll get right back to you on what I have purchased in the near past at an acceptable compromise between cost and quality. Although if you want to skip to the ultimate: Assos...I don't think the brand name is an accident!

DirtGrlll screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 12:54 PM Reason: bad math
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #23314
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

OK, I ran and checked: in last 2 years have purchased Pearl Izumi bibshorts in the PRO and Ultrasensor (I think...uh, short memory!) lines. Have previously had good luck with Castelli but not familiar enough with their current lines to parse it further.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #23315
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtGrlll View Post
COMFORT. Seriously, a huge upgrade. From my roadie skinny days (gawd, I hope I can at least make it half - even a quarter, of the way back there) to my, um, expanded days. Freakin awesome not to have the dreaded short creep down or uncomfortable waistband digging in. Stay tuned, I'll get right back to you on what I have purchased in the near past at an acceptable compromise between cost and quality. Although if you want to skip to the ultimate: Assos...I don't think the brand name is an accident!

That makes total sense now.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #23316
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Why would someone in excellent health prefer a recumbent over a regular bicycle? Around here, only very old people ride them.
Have you ridden one? Come back after you have taken one on an honest test ride.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #23317
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Please, help welcome me back into the mtb fold...

OK, so I admit that cycling took a back seat to my long-delayed entre to the moto world at age, uh, late 30s. Got back to doing more mtb in 2010 when I was derailed by a sneakily nasty injury (if you care to know the details, see here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666031).

I progressed back to doing some hikes of reasonable length in, oh, say early Fall 2011.

Recent hikes have been at a little known location and the trails are insanely flowy, swoopy, and remarkably non rock garden strewn for New England. Now I have always loved the tech, but returning from major injury can at least temporarily alter preferences.

What it has done, however, is re-ignite the desire to turn the pedals. Right now I am focusing on getting the "bastardized" '03 Specialized Epic and the '02 Turner RFX back into commission. The Big Hit really needs nothing but DH is on the long term and not sure if I will really get back into that genre. Sounds weird to couple the two, but I also don't know if I will ever go back to serious road riding. So potentially I could be looking to sell a 2006 Specialized Big Hit and a 2002 (I think) Serotta Concours.

Thus far, the Epic has been given new sneakers (yeah the bastardized part includes the fact that I am running 2.5 Weirwolfs ) and new ODI grips. Awaits the right tools from Kamala to install the Time Z Control pedals. Oh yeah, rest of the weirdo spec is a 5" Marzocchi fork and an Easton Havoc riser bar. Meh, works for me.

The RFX is currently awaiting the arrival of a new Race Face stem. Silly me, didn't realize the bar width standard had jumped up to 31.8" and I didn't want to send the DH version of the Havoc bar back. Other than that, Kamala helped swap out the Avy shock (just don't need that kind of performance with my riding these days) with the stock Fox shock. Hopefully will be in one piece by the end of the upcoming weekend.

The mtb stable for now:

DirtGrlll screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 01:31 PM
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #23318
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:

Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Keep an eye on Chainlove and bonktown, they both have some really good deals from time to time.

Capo is another brand to look for.

Once you go bibs, you will have a hard time going back to shorts.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #23319
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm pretty much sold on an FS. I've only gotten as far as test riding one in a parking lot, but it did feel amazingly compliant while going over speed bumps at a fairly brisk pace. My rigid road bike, by contrast, will shake your fillings loose just riding over a twig.

Awesome! You won't really see the difference until you round a corner at speed and get that "oh shit!" pucker. This time, though, that 10" rock doesn't shoot the seat up into your stones like your hard tail does-the bike willfully takes the impact and continues down the trail. Pretty sweet
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #23320
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Keep an eye on Chainlove and bonktown, they both have some really good deals from time to time.

Capo is another brand to look for.

I think I'll give them a go.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #23321
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Quote:

I think I'll give them a go.
Work great under moto pants, too!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #23322
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Didn't work out that way for me; I tried a couple of different pairs of bibs, and didn't find them to be a clear improvement over shorts. The waistband on regular shorts doesn't bother me that much (even on all-day rides), and meanwhile, the extra fabric coverage of the bibs makes it slightly tougher to keep cool on hot days.

But given how many people say they prefer bibs, they're definitely worth trying.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #23323
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtGrlll View Post

The mtb stable for now:

EUGH! How sad that you own those bikes! Send them to me and I will make sure you never have to lay eyes on them again.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #23324
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Didn't work out that way for me; I tried a couple of different pairs of bibs, and didn't find them to be a clear improvement over shorts. The waistband on regular shorts doesn't bother me that much (even on all-day rides), and meanwhile, the extra fabric coverage of the bibs makes it slightly tougher to keep cool on hot days.

But given how many people say they prefer bibs, they're definitely worth trying.
AND, if you have a rather long torso, the straps can dig into your shoulders. I know of a few with that issue.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #23325
gearguywb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:

Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Buy the best you can afford. A sore taint/nether regions ruins a ride every time.
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: