Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #23356
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,463
I haz trophy.

http://www.rjcyclotron.com/

(Only my third one after almost 6 years of bike racing!)
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #23357
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,106
Quite honestly, a $5k mtn bike don't make in pretty much anyone's situation UNLESS you're racing FOR THE WIN. JRA and racing outside the possibility of winning?

Oh, and that Epic S-Works 29er my buddy has: $6k+ is what he's looking for. He's ridden it maybe 4x in the almost year he's had it.

Congrats there Askel! Awesome job!

M
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #23358
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So yesterday I went back to the bike store to pick up some spare inner tubes and a tire patch kit. What I didn't realize at the time was that a Trek X-Caliber would be followed me home.

Thanks to all those on this thread who helped narrow down my search - and to the honest salesman who convinced me that buying a $5000 CF mountain bike made no sense in my case.

I rode one of those while out bike shopping last week. Nice ride.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #23359
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Quite honestly, a $5k mtn bike don't make in pretty much anyone's situation UNLESS you're racing FOR THE WIN. JRA and racing outside the possibility of winning?
I'm too chicken shit to be riding on expert level offroad trails anyway. These days I care more about not breaking any more bones than winning races. I've read 40+ reviews of the X-Caliber from dudes who race these bikes on trails that I wouldn't even dare hike on, and if it's good enough for them, its certainly more bike than I'll ever need. I took it to the same offroad trails where I rode my DS600 the previous day, and it was like going from a dump truck to a Ferrari. It's unbelievable how much easier this bike is to ride. I think I'll take it up to the trails in Ocala next weekend.

Quote:
Oh, and that Epic S-Works 29er my buddy has: $6k+ is what he's looking for. He's ridden it maybe 4x in the almost year he's had it.
I've seen numerous for sale adds on eBay and other places for high dollar bikes which say, 'Never ridden', or 'Only ridden once.' What were these people thinking when they shelled out all that money?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #23360
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I rode one of those while out bike shopping last week. Nice ride.
Gotta love those 29" wheels. My previous ride had 26's, and seemed to get bogged down in deep sand and rocky areas, whereas these just float right over it. I had some concerns that a HT would make for a jarring ride compared to the FS bike I had before, but after testing it by deliberately riding over fallen branches and rocks, my fears proved to be unfounded.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #23361
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Thanks to all those on this thread who helped narrow down my search - and to the honest salesman who convinced me that buying a $5000 CF mountain bike made no sense in my case.
I didn't think so either, but, you do have a Madone.

Congrats, on the new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I haz trophy.

Good job!

And, who cares? At least you're out there racing.

Quote:
I took it to the same offroad trails where I rode my DS600 the previous day, and it was like going from a dump truck to a Ferrari. It's unbelievable how much easier this bike is to ride. I think I'll take it up to the trails in Ocala next weekend.
Modern technology goes a long way.

Wish I could be in Ocala with you. If you haven't ridden west out of there, you should go through Spider Kingdom, before the spiders set in. It's a pretyy cool area.

Quote:
I've seen numerous for sale adds on eBay and other places for high dollar bikes which say, 'Never ridden', or 'Only ridden once.' What were these people thinking when they shelled out all that money?
Good intentions.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #23362
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Gotta love those 29" wheels. My previous ride had 26's, and seemed to get bogged down in deep sand and rocky areas, whereas these just float right over it. I had some concerns that a HT would make for a jarring ride compared to the FS bike I had before, but after testing it by deliberately riding over fallen branches and rocks, my fears proved to be unfounded.

Yeah, the 29er makes a bigger difference than I ever suspected. I'm lucky enough to have several miles of singletrack right behind the house and have been confirming that over the last few days. It just handles sooooooooooooo much better than my 26 in every respect. I'd read and heard that the 29ers gave up something in tight handling and climbing. I've experienced just the opposite. I'm still trying to find a single downside to the switch. And I keep coming up with nothing.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #23363
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
I haz trophy.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #23364
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I didn't think so either, but, you do have a Madone.
Yabbut, it was one of Trek's show bikes. Though it hadn't been ridden, it was technically 'used' so when they offered me a $7,200 bike for only $4,400, I knew it was a deal I just couldn't turn down.

Quote:
Modern technology goes a long way.
I wrote down all the specs you suggested (29" wheels, 2.2" tires, and a 19" frame) and they just happened to have one that fit the bill. I'd never heard of the X-Caliber before, but they were nice enough to let me ride it on the trail behind their shop, and after about half an hour out there I was sold - a good thing, because it was covered in mud and sand by the time I brought it back to the shop.

Quote:
Wish I could be in Ocala with you. If you haven't ridden west out of there, you should go through Spider Kingdom, before the spiders set in. It's a pretyy cool area.
I've never been up there. I'm sure I'll get lost trying to find it. They tell me the Blue trails are the ones I want to be on, and to avoid the Red trails which are apparently for expert level riders. First I have to get rid of all those reflectors they attached. Don't want those weighing me down on the trails.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #23365
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, the 29er makes a bigger difference than I ever suspected. I'm lucky enough to have several miles of singletrack right behind the house and have been confirming that over the last few days. It just handles sooooooooooooo much better than my 26 in every respect. I'd read and heard that the 29ers gave up something in tight handling and climbing. I've experienced just the opposite. I'm still trying to find a single downside to the switch. And I keep coming up with nothing.
All the expert reviews I read, with ONE exception, said that 29ers made hill climbing easier. Don't really understand why, but my own experience seems to bear this out. It even seems to go around corners in a much more composed manner than my previous bike, but there might be other factors in play aside from the difference in wheel size.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #23366
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
And, who cares? At least you're out there racing.

I do... Winning is just a sign I picked something too easy.

But when only seven people show up for a race, and there's seven trophies to be given away....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #23367
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I haz trophy.

Congrats!!

What kind of tires are those? I've never seen ones that large.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #23368
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I do... Winning is just a sign I picked something too easy.

But when only seven people show up for a race, and there's seven trophies to be given away....
Anybody who rides in those conditions deserves a trophy, just for showing up!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #23369
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
...seems to go around corners in a much more composed manner than my previous bike, but there might be other factors in play aside from the difference in wheel size.

Greater stability b/c of the larger wheel diameter? Greater gyroscopic effect or sommat? My tires are fatter too - that can't hurt offroad. I've also noticed that I'm several inches higher . One might think that sitting higher would compromise handing, but....

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #23370
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Greater stability b/c of the larger wheel diameter? Greater gyroscopic effect or sommat? My tires are fatter too - that can't hurt offroad. I've also noticed that I'm several inches higher . One might think that sitting higher would compromise handing, but....
The X-Caliber is actually lower to the ground than my Motobecane 600DS. I noticed it when I parked it next to my road bike: the seats are at the same height, whereas the 600DS's seat was several inches higher. The distance from the seat to the pedals is the same, though. The X-Caliber has very wide handlebars, which probably also makes it feel lighter in the turns.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: