Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #23416
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
No, but I've seen lots of people frantically looking around for a replacement for a broken one just before the start of a race.
They were probably working for a rival manufacturer trying to damage Crank Brother's image.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #23417
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Anybody here using these?

I was thinking about a set and got talked out of it by two shops, that I trust. They have had quite a few break.

I went with Time ATAC's.

I have VERY little experience with clip pedals, I have been using a set of Shimano 858's for a very long time.....
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #23418
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Anybody here using these?

Yes. And, I love them. I have them on my road bike and would have them on my MTB. However, I bought Eggbeaters first, which is what's on it. I don't like the lack of platform, with the Eggbeaters.

You need to buy the Candy 3 or 11. The Candy 1 (shown) and 2 have an inner bushing, instead of a bearing. They prematurely wear out. Don't skimp here; buy the full-bearing model.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #23419
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I was thinking about a set and got talked out of it by two shops, that I trust. They have had quite a few break.
That may have been the earlier models. The new ones are made of different materials. I've smacked my Eggbeaters on many rocks and am yet to have a problem with them. What's happened in the past doesn't predict the future.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #23420
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That may have been the earlier models. The new ones are made of different materials. I've smacked my Eggbeaters on many rocks and am yet to have a problem with them. What's happened in the past doesn't predict the future.
Yeah, I forgot to ask them about real specifics, I had my daughter with and she distracted me a little.

They could have also been talking about the bushing models and not the bearing ones....

They did mention the lack of platform on the eggbeaters as being "unpopular".
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #23421
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to ask them about real specifics, I had my daughter with and she distracted me a little.

They could have also been talking about the bushing models and not the bearing ones....

They did mention the lack of platform on the eggbeaters as being "unpopular".
Yeah, I see a lot of Eggbeaters, on the trails. I've actually run both my sets, on my MTB, and have never had mud-clearing issues with the Candy. I just don't see my need for the complete open-ness of the Eggbeaters. After a long day, my feet definitely feel the difference between pedals. I don't run a real stiff shoe and that has some to do it with it. However, I like the comfort and convenience of a shoe that I can walk in. That's the tradeoff.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #23422
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yes. And, I love them. I have them on my road bike and would have them on my MTB. However, I bought Eggbeaters first, which is what's on it. I don't like the lack of platform, with the Eggbeaters.
Those were the only complaints I read about the Eggbeaters in various reviews: the difficulty of finding the correct clip-in position, and the inability to 'soft pedal' the bike without being clipped in. Having platforms is supposed to solve both problems for only a minor weight increase.

Quote:
You need to buy the Candy 3 or 11. The Candy 1 (shown) and 2 have an inner bushing, instead of a bearing. They prematurely wear out. Don't skimp here; buy the full-bearing model.
They're not all that much money (`$60 on e-bay), so I have no reason to skimp just to save a few bucks. I'm getting a lot faster on the trails, and am finding that when I go over roots and rocks at higher speeds, my feet bounce around, and sometimes come off the pedals entirely. This may be an even bigger problem once I figure out how get the bike to hop over obstacles.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #23423
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:

I went with Time ATAC's.

I have VERY little experience with clipLESS pedals, I have been using a set of Shimano 858's for a very long time.....
[bike snob]Clips and straps used to be the standard pedal. Like:

See the toe clips and the strap that holds yer foot in?

Then in the 80s, Greg LeMond and Look changed the game. Ya see... there weren't any clips and straps! Like:

See? No clips and straps. Hence the clipless moniker.

For a long time, mtn bikers didn't have the opportunity to experience the wonderfulness that is clipless pedals, so they worked on it and worked on it. Coming up with a few ideas on the way: Speedplay's pedal museum

Which finally morphed into:

So there ya have it. Why pedals without visible clips and straps are called clipless instead of clip or clip in pedals[/Bike Snob]

M
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #23424
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:

They're not all that much money (`$60 on e-bay), so I have no reason to skimp just to save a few bucks. I'm getting a lot faster on the trails, and am finding that when I go over roots and rocks at higher speeds, my feet bounce around, and sometimes come off the pedals entirely. This may be an even bigger problem once I figure out how get the bike to hop over obstacles.

You don't need clipless pedals to hang on to the bike in jumps, etc. You can always do it the old fashion way - hang on with your legs and hands.

I found that clipless pedals hurt my riding more than anything. I'd want 'em for a road ride or maybe a CC spin sort of thing, but I've gone back to platforms only and a fairly stiff-soled hiking shoe. And I don't ride road unless it's absolutely necessary.

But far be it from me to discourage you from trying clipless on your MTB. It works for some folks. Some won't ride without it. But after several sets worth of mixed opinion, I went back to the platform to see what I thought and haven't looked back.

Seems like some folks perceive you as a total nOOb with platforms for some reason or another. On several occasions I've had other riders tell me how much better off I'd be with clipless...like I'd never heard of 'em before. That's usually about where my break ends.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #23425
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
I don't think I *could* go back to clips and straps after all these years of riding clipless. I like being able to place my back wheel where I want it. I like the power transfer of the stiff soles. Etc.

I'm sure my legs remember how to kick over the toe clip and get in the strap, but that's a skill that I'm not sure I want to resurrect.

M
Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #23426
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
[bike snob]Clips and straps used to be the standard pedal. Like:

See the toe clips and the strap that holds yer foot in?

Then in the 80s, Greg LeMond and Look changed the game. Ya see... there weren't any clips and straps! Like:

See? No clips and straps. Hence the clipless moniker.

For a long time, mtn bikers didn't have the opportunity to experience the wonderfulness that is clipless pedals, so they worked on it and worked on it. Coming up with a few ideas on the way: Speedplay's pedal museum

Which finally morphed into:

So there ya have it. Why pedals without visible clips and straps are called clipless instead of clip or clip in pedals[/Bike Snob]

M
I think it is stupid that we call pedals that you clip into, CLIPLESS.

I also misspelled it. Freudian slip I guess.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #23427
mud
I just wander.....

I also ride platforms with sticky shoes. I tend to ride more technical stuff (think trials) though.

My platform setup costs more than my CLIPLESS setup, so don't think it will save you money.

I went this route after giving CLIPLESS a good go. I do ride CLIPLESS on my roadbike.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #23428
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
You don't need clipless pedals to hang on to the bike in jumps, etc. You can always do it the old fashion way - hang on with your legs and hands.

I found that clipless pedals hurt my riding more than anything. I'd want 'em for a road ride or maybe a CC spin sort of thing, but I've gone back to platforms only and a fairly stiff-soled hiking shoe. And I don't ride road unless it's absolutely necessary.

But far be it from me to discourage you from trying clipless on your MTB. It works for some folks. Some won't ride without it. But after several sets worth of mixed opinion, I went back to the platform to see what I thought and haven't looked back.

Seems like some folks perceive you as a total nOOb with platforms for some reason or another. On several occasions I've had other riders tell me how much better off I'd be with clipless...like I'd never heard of 'em before. That's usually about where my break ends.
Why do you say that clipless pedals hurt your riding?

The only good thing I can see about flat pedals is that they allow you to get your feet off instantly, without any possibility of getting stuck and falling over. But the downsides are that quite often my feet come off the flat pedals when I don't want them to, and slide out of position at just the times when I really need them to stay put.

Aside from that, there are a couple of additional reasons I think clipless pedals may benefit me:

1. My HT has no rear shock to 'bounce' the back wheel up like FS mountain bikes do, so having my feet attached to the pedals will allow me to use my legs to pull the back wheel up to clear obstacles.

2. They will allow me to put extra power to the pedals when I may unexpectedly need it. For instance, when climbing, I may have enough power to get up the slope, but then encounter a large root or rock at the top which I can't climb over. With a clipless setup, I should be able to recruit more muscles by pulling up forcefully on the other pedal to assist the leg that's pushing down.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #23429
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think it is stupid that we call pedals that you clip into, CLIPLESS.
I couldn't agree more. It has caused quite a bit of head scratching when I try to explain it to other riders.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #23430
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I don't think I *could* go back to clips and straps after all these years of riding clipless.

Oh heeeeeeeel no! My Gitane still has 'em on, but it's a vintage thing that I never ride and am sort of trying to restore.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: