Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #23551
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
You forgot the wind...gusting to about 50 today. It was gusting close to 90 not so long ago

And here we go with another wildfire

Summer makes it all worth it though.

Yer new ride show up yet?
Yep. Just in from test riding it around in the back yard.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #23552
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 12,243
Help a bicycle idiot out

I bought another Amp Research bicycle yesterday (pics later). It needs all new cables.

• Don't mind buying a proper cable sheath cutter.
  • Don't mind buying a crimping tool if necessary.
  • Don't care if I spend $100 on cables.

What is the ticket for really premium cables? An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.

The boots and most of the miscellaneous hardware is reusable but, the rear brake cable is so frayed, it's almost broken . The bike has Shimano XT shifters (if that makes any difference) and cable operated disk brakes that terminate like this (cable actuated, hydraulic caliper):
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #23553
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
I bought another Amp Research bicycle yesterday (pics later). It needs all new cables.

• Don't mind buying a proper cable sheath cutter.
  • Don't mind buying a crimping tool if necessary.
  • Don't care if I spend $100 on cables.

What is the ticket for really premium cables? An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.

The boots and most of the miscellaneous hardware is reusable but, the rear brake cable is so frayed, it's almost broken . The bike has Shimano XT shifters (if that makes any difference) and cable operated disk brakes that terminate like this (cable actuated, hydraulic caliper):
Go to the best source: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Also, most decent cable housings are polyethylene lined and very slick - so much that I find it better to not lube them and avoid dirt contamination. Jagwire has the cool appearance thing covered.

You want more bling? Nokon (in article) is that. For a sealed system, go to Gore Ride-On cable kits. They're just basic black, but they will keep out wet crud well.

Fancy ferrules for the ends? How 'bout ano aluminum? http://www.purelycustom.com/c-84-cab...-ferrules.aspx I don't know of any other fancy ones, but they're probably out there.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #23554
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
I put jagwire on my new racing bike. I like jagwire.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #23555
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Having lived in hilly territory (NY & RI) for decades, I'll take relatively flat roads any day. All I ever got from riding those steep hills was constant oxygen debt and lactic acid burn, turning what would have been a pleasurable activity into an ordeal.
Man, hills are most of why I ride. I don't always love the climbs, but often I do, and I'm always willing to pay the price for the sense of accomplishment (and hopefully a good view) at the top, and a fun rollercoaster descent (paved or dirt).

I just did 37 miles through the Santa Cruz mountains. About 4500 feet of climbing. I hit my highest point of elevation at mile 17. Most of the remaining 20 miles was spent carving my way down these beautifully engineered twisties at moto speeds, grinning and giggling like an idiot. This place is going to turn me into a roadie.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #23556
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.

AFA slick, Gore cables.

AFA fancy ferrules, the Gore stuff comes with AL ferrules. That's about as fancy as it gets.

Me? I was running sag all weekend for a training camp. Not much riding went on. ...BUT I did find a few more roads that are good riding roads. IDK if there's a Skymass loop in mapmyride.com but the only day I wasn't jealous was that ride. I'll probably still end up doing it just to say I've done it. In short: up Skyline Dr. down 211 up and over ?Masanutten mtn? and back down, rolly back to Front Royal. 82mi on the day. Ugh. Masanutten Mtn reminded me of the hills around Blacksburg. Steep AND long.

M
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #23557
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 12,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Also, most decent cable housings are polyethylene lined and very slick - so much that I find it better to not lube them and avoid dirt contamination. Jagwire has the cool appearance thing covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I put jagwire on my new racing bike. I like jagwire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.
Good tips, guys. That gives me some places to read-up and learn. I'm going to tear the bike down the frame, inspect, lube and polish everything and build it back up right.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #23558
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post

You want more bling? Nokon (in article) is that. For a sealed system, go to Gore Ride-On cable kits. They're just basic black, but they will keep out wet crud well.

Fancy ferrules for the ends? How 'bout ano aluminum? http://www.purelycustom.com/c-84-cab...-ferrules.aspx I don't know of any other fancy ones, but they're probably out there.
Is this "Wadesta" who races in Tx sometimes?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #23559
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Got the Fargo done this weekend.

Fresh and unmolested, ready to head out yesterday morning:

Stopping for glamor shots:

First impressions, this thing does not ride at all like I expected. I guess I was sort of expecting it to be a lightweight, flexy frame. This thing is a motherfucking tank. It's meant to be loaded up for touring.

Also, trekking chainrings and a MTB cassette are *not* gravel road racing appropriate. The jumps between gears are just way too big. Really need a road casette. Going with 8 speed just exacerbates the problem. Plus those bar cons way out there on the ends of those woodchippers are a bit of a reach.

What this bike loves though is playing "Where Does That Go?"

Yes, there's a trail there. And I rode down it. Couldn't quite make it back up though.

It's also the best two tracking bike I've ridden yet. I could ride this stuff all day.

Riding some Ottawa Slickrock on Silver Mountain.

The summit:

The silver mine for which the mountain is named:

Took a turn onto the north country trail. Which is technically not allowed. But in all the years I've hiked it, I've never seen anybody on it. And many portions are overgrown to the point of being near impossible to follow. And I've got a whole list of rationalizations for biking where I'm not supposed to if you want to hear them....

But brushfires had recently scorched the Baraga Plains. So it wasn't long before I was humping the bike over all kinds of deadfall leaving me covered in small cuts and ash. Karma's a bitch.

And then I discovered my barcons had come loose.

Did I mention this was going to be an easy ~75 mile gravel loop just to shake down the bike? Damn Fargo wanting to go down every little two track...

At this point I was out of food and water and had to high tail it to the nearest town to restock.

8 hours in and I still had a solid 20 miles left to get home. But I still couldn't stop checking out new trails. Found this old railroad grade that spans many miles.

Stuff like this keeps the ATVs off it, so I had the trail to myself.

Finally back home. Other than the loose shifters, no issues after some serious abuse.

No idea how many miles I did, but after 10 hours- I hurt far more this morning than I did after a paved 150 miler I did a few weeks ago.

Gonna have fun with that bike this summer. Thanks Oznerol!
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #23560
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
The wheels on your Fargo are bigger than the wheels of your car.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #23561
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
First outing on my new Trek Superlfy 100

So after having gotten acquainted with the bike on a local trail, I decided to drive up to Ocala to ride the trails at Santos. The first time I was up there a few weeks ago, I stayed on the easy yellow trails, parts of which I thought were a bit challenging. This time around, they were ridiculously easy. But at some point during the ride I became aware of a creaking sound coming from my bike that got progressively louder as I made my way back to the entrance. Fearing the worst (a cracked frame), I headed back to the parking lot. Unfortunately the bike shop right across the street was closed for Easter Sunday, but there were few riders loading up their bikes outside, so I asked one of them if he could determine where the noise was coming from while I compressed the suspension. There was nothing plainly visible on the left side, but when he moved around to the right, he noticed that one of the bolts that hold the rear shock in place had backed out half way. Had I kept riding the bike, it likely would have popped out completely. It was my good fortune that this fellow happened to be Ben Mays, a mountain bike instructor. He not only managed to do the repairs (I had no tools with me), but made a number of adjustments to the suspension, which he said were out of whack for someone of my weight. Not sure what he did, but the bike felt MUCH more compliant after that. I mentioned being somewhat of a n00b to off road riding, so he showed me some basic skills, after which I followed him to the blue trails. These weren't all that difficult for me except in a couple of sections, so on we went to the Vortex red trails. I had no idea what I was in for. There are parts of this trail which looked completely impassible to me. If I hadn't seen Ben do it, it never would have occurred to me to try to scale those steep rocky hills, or go down the other side, which was even scarier. I've regained a lot of my former leg strength by pumping iron at the gym, but quickly discovered that brute strength is no substitute for skill when it comes to hill climbing, as I nearly wheelied over backward while powering up a steep slope, and then almost went over the handlebars on the decent. I was never so glad to get out of there.

Here's a video I found showing what the Vortex trail looks like, though it's difficult to appreciate just how steep those hills are unless you're standing there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zN94j-AuJPk
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #23562
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
damn Askel you're a freakin animal. I was proud of myself to get 2 hours in on the Fargo Sunday morning. Wanted to get back in time to watch Paris - Roubaix . Nice ride Tom Boonen , very impressive !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #23563
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,547
Finally made a decision on the new wheels on friday at a local "Mega Sale".. Had gone in with the intention of the Trek 2.1 with the H3 headset and after comparing it to the Felt, went with the later. The geometry is between the H2 and H3 and just felt (no pun intended) better on the test run. I went with the 105 line in a compact crank hoping it will give me all the range I need.

Coming off a 10yr old 1200, yesterdays setup ride was amazing. I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was, and how much better the 105 feels over my Tiagra.

Now, I just need to find out who the $#% thought white seats and bar-wrap was a good idea

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #23564
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Got the Fargo done this weekend...

It's also the best two tracking bike I've ridden yet. I could ride this stuff all day.

Very, very nice.

I wish I could join you up there this year, but that ain't gonna happen. No worries though. The UP isn't going anywhere.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #23565
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Congrats on the new bike Hotspice. I thought the same thing about the white seat and wrap on my Trek 2.3. Mine has the 105 components too, so they must be pretty similar bikes. I'm taking mine in tomorrow to get everything checked out on it. I don't do a lot of long rides, but I have about 350 miles on it and the dealer said to bring it in and they'd make any adjustments it might need. Enjoy the new ride.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: