User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #23551
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
I don't own a secteur, but we've got a Sirrus & a Dolce in the house. I love them. Neither has ever given me any trouble at all. I recommend Specialized. However, given my recent experiences with Shimano, I'd see if the bike shop would be willing to swap in or sell you a SRAM drivetrain on a new bike. Upgrading will be much, much easier.

Post pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #23552
Faustus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I run candy's on my rig and love them, especially here in the PNWet....clears mud well. Minimalist with just enough platform for extended rides.

Faustus screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 02:57 PM
Faustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #23553
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I couldn't agree more. It has caused quite a bit of head scratching when I try to explain it to other riders.
NEITHER of y'all read what I just wrote?

M
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #23554
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice View Post
Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

Giant. They make good bikes too.

Jamis. Very underrated

Pretty much all the bikes in your price range are cookie-cutter bikes. They're all built to a price-point and all feature similar construction, weight, geometry, etc.

If you're 5'8" to 5'10" PM me. I may have a deal for ya.

M
Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #23555
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
I know and remember why. I still think it's stupid.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #23556
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:

M
'Course I did. But I already knew the explanation. What I'm saying is that regardless of how 'clipless' pedals got their name, it still seems confusing to many people to call them that.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #23557
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
So naysayers, what should we call clipless pedals then?
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #23558
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Awesome. Now I understand how it works.

Good, 'cause I wasn't sure I could verbalize a how-to. I did, however note that he didn't mention 'locking on'. I just made that up, by the way. But you still have to hang on to the back of the bike somehow. I've been doing it so long (since childhood) that I rarely think about it. But I'm sorta grabbing the bike with my legs - basically just bringing my legs together to get a bit of a grip. I think it's more on the saddle than anything, but also with the feet - pulling them toward each other and keeping them on the crank/pedals. I'm not sure that I'm really exerting much force with my feet, but want enough to keep my feet where they should be - on the pedals.

At least that's what I think I'm doing

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #23559
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
So I'm driving to the mtb trails yesterday when I slow at an intersection. To the right is a car pulling a 12 foot trailer with a tandem recumbent in it. The bent must've been 10 feet long. Checked my mirror to make sure I was not hallucinating.:loll That's not something I've seen before.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #23560
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
So naysayers, what should we call clipless pedals then?
Clip-in pedals.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #23561
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
Jamis. Very underrated
there's a 29er Mtn bike made by Jamis at the LBS that's calling my name.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #23562
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Good, 'cause I wasn't sure I could verbalize a how-to. I did, however note that he didn't mention 'locking on'. I just made that up, by the way. But you still have to hang on to the back of the bike somehow. I've been doing it so long (since childhood) that I rarely think about it. But I'm sorta grabbing the bike with my legs - basically just bringing my legs together to get a bit of a grip. I think it's more on the saddle than anything, but also with the feet - pulling them toward each other and keeping them on the crank/pedals. I'm not sure that I'm really exerting much force with my feet, but want enough to keep my feet where they should be - on the pedals.

Gripping the bike by the pedals, frame or seat, would certainly help to lift the rear wheel, but it's apparently not necessary:

Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #23563
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

No gripping the bike. It limits where the bike can go. Just do as the video says and all is good. Your height will be limited by the height you can jump and the rear tire hitting your butt.

Sometimes you need to move the bike side-to-side under you, this would be limited if you are gripping it with your feet.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #23564
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
No gripping the bike. It limits where the bike can go. Just do as the video says and all is good. Your height will be limited by the height you can jump and the rear tire hitting your butt.

Sometimes you need to move the bike side-to-side under you, this would be limited if you are gripping it with your feet.

I'll pay closer attention next time I go for a scoot. But I'm pretty sure it's about the same motion that lets me kick over trash cans with the back tire. Err, I mean kick debris out of the way...lifting the rear end and pushing it quickly to one side. I'm pretty sure I'm holding the crank arms with my feet (among other things) while pulling up and shifting weight quickly. I'm thinking this is roughly the same motion as lifting the rear end in a bunnyhop.

It does seem like folks are doing it other ways. But I know I'm holding the bike with my legs/feet - same with jumps. These folks in the videos may be doing it too - just either not realizing or mentioning it. It's really hard to tell from the camera angles and speeds. They're certainly not grabbing the saddle. Then again, these aren't mountain bikes in the videos. I haven't ridden a BMX/freestyle bike in ages. I have to assume it's a somewhat different technique.

On limiting where the bike can go, I figured just the opposite - I'm getting it to go exactly where I want because I can steer the rear through the crank by applying pressure to one side or another while the rear wheel is in the air. I could do that with body english too, but not sure I'm doing that. Again, I'll pay more attention this weekend.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #23565
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Gummee, you still looking for a wrenching gig?

This place is hiring: http://www.keweenawadventure.com/

Seasonal and probably doesn't pay for much, but it'd be a very cool place to work and live.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: