User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #23566
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Great..... Now I am shopping for a Fargo.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #23567
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,690
Sweet Pave'

Tom Boonen can fly
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #23568
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,833
I stayed up way too late last night watching that off the DVR. Paying for that today.
BUt, that man was flying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Sweet Pave'

Tom Boonen can fly
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #23569
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Gonna have fun with that bike this summer. Thanks Oznerol!
I'm glad you're enjoying it, and that it's being used as intended.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #23570
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:

Did I mention this was going to be an easy ~75 mile gravel loop just to shake down the bike? Damn Fargo wanting to go down every little two track...
A 75 mile shakedown run? That looks like a nice place to ride.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #23571
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Great..... Now I am shopping for a Fargo.
Don't do it man. It'll ruin your life.

You'll go out for a quick training ride and then 10 hours later find yourself bushwhacking through a valley to find a road that existed on a 1950s era topo map.

Racks and frame bag on the way. Looking forward to some multi-day benders soon.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #23572
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
White seats aren't too bad, but white tape looks like crap quickly. Simple Green cleans it up pretty well.

The two things I've done in the past with white tape are 1. replace it when its dirty or 2. if its non-sticky, turn it over and re-use it for another month-6 weeks till that side's dirty too, THEN replace it. Ya gotta keep up on the white tape...

I was out for an easy hour yesterday. Going out for another easy hour today 'cause I'm switching UW Hockey from Thurs to tonite. I'll go the 3hrs I was supposed to do today on Thurs and call it good.

M
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #23573
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,787
Shock travel

Pictured on the right is Ben Mays of 'Trail Dogs 101', who I met out at Santos on Sunday. His bike is something he built himself, and has a massive set of forks with 7 inches of travel. He let me ride it for a while, and I was amazed to see how effortlessly it would go over boulder sized rocks. What a tremendous confidence boost that was. Now I need to find a way to graft a set of those onto my Superfly.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #23574
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
This looks pretty sweet!

http://vimeo.com/37744449

Here is my attempt at embeding vimeo:

Reveal the Path Trailer from Mike Dion on Vimeo.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #23575
Askel
Perma-n00b

Wasn't super impressed with his last one- "Ride The Divide". I think the trailers were better than the movie itself.

But I'm a complete sucker for the subject matter of these movies, so it's still a worthwhile experience.

Made a tour out of going to see "Ride The Divide": http://www.bialas.org/blog/2010/07/a...e-to-tour.html

Contemplating doing the same for the MSP or Madison showing....
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #23576
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Riding with kids??

Questions for the collective:

I'm looking for a way to take my (now) 14 month old boy on rides wtih me this year. I'm leaning towards picking up a cheapish hybrid bike and one of those stem mounted seats. How long do you think can I reasonably expect the boy to stay comfortable/entertained. A trailer would seem more suited for longer rides. I suppose I will probably end up getting both...using the seat for short hops, and the trailer for longer rides. If anyone has any insight about riding with kids, I'd be glad to hear it.

On a side note, I've been going to indoor cycling classes all winter and my legs are feeling pretty good. I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...The classes are short though, so I don't have a lot of endurance on the bike. My shoulders, arms and back start to get tired before my legs do.
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #23577
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...
I think you have other problems rather than too much torque.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #23578
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Questions for the collective:

I'm looking for a way to take my (now) 14 month old boy on rides wtih me this year. I'm leaning towards picking up a cheapish hybrid bike and one of those stem mounted seats. How long do you think can I reasonably expect the boy to stay comfortable/entertained. A trailer would seem more suited for longer rides. I suppose I will probably end up getting both...using the seat for short hops, and the trailer for longer rides. If anyone has any insight about riding with kids, I'd be glad to hear it.

On a side note, I've been going to indoor cycling classes all winter and my legs are feeling pretty good. I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...The classes are short though, so I don't have a lot of endurance on the bike. My shoulders, arms and back start to get tired before my legs do.
When our daughter was younger (she is now five and bikes short distances herself) we had a simple, old style rear rack mounted seat we share between two cruiser bikes. We got one with a quick release attachment point on the frame so one seat would do for two bikes. Started when she was about 16 months, and just built her up over time starting with short city rides. Major downside is that when the seat is mounted it is nearly impossible to get pannier bags mounted. Thus if you have a front cargo rack it is useful.

If you can ride in tandem with another cyclist (your wife) they can stay in view of the child which usually helps keep them patient.

I finally added a new Marin Four Corners to the stable and did my first commute ride today. For the first time since college ended I will go to work by bike, 20 miles round trip, for the year. Damn I need the exercise. Felt very good and takes one hour each way, same time as public transit and only 25 minute slower than the motorcycle.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #23579
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think you have other problems rather than too much torque.
I haven't ruled that out either, but it would only skip when I was standing on climbs ...anyone know how to adjust the SRAM rear deraileurs? With the Ultegra on my road bike I'd just have to set the outermost points and the indexing would take care of itself. I never had to mess with the barrel adjusters or anything. Is SRAM the same?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #23580
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
When our daughter was younger (she is now five and bikes short distances herself) we had a simple, old style rear rack mounted seat we share between two cruiser bikes. We got one with a quick release attachment point on the frame so one seat would do for two bikes. Started when she was about 16 months, and just built her up over time starting with short city rides. Major downside is that when the seat is mounted it is nearly impossible to get pannier bags mounted. Thus if you have a front cargo rack it is useful.

If you can ride in tandem with another cyclist (your wife) they can stay in view of the child which usually helps keep them patient.

I finally added a new Marin Four Corners to the stable and did my first commute ride today. For the first time since college ended I will go to work by bike, 20 miles round trip, for the year. Damn I need the exercise. Felt very good and takes one hour each way, same time as public transit and only 25 minute slower than the motorcycle.
I think the stem mounted seats look like they'd be better because the child is right there with you so you can talk to them, etc. Getting my wife on a bike is project #2...for later this summer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: