Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #23566
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Then again, these aren't mountain bikes in the videos.
There are other videos showing people doing it on mountain bikes. I have serious doubts that I'll be able to duplicate those hops with my bigger frame and 29" wheels, but we'll see.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #23567
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,269
So I did a little bunny hopping yesterday and paid attention. Turns out I wasn't grabbing anything at all 'cept the bars

I still think I latch on sometimes, but as far as I could tell yesterday I do it less than I thought (if at all)

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #23568
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There are other videos showing people doing it on mountain bikes. I have serious doubts that I'll be able to duplicate those hops with my bigger frame and 29" wheels, but we'll see.
Bunny hopping a 29er is just more work. You just have to exaggerate the motions more. Once you get it, you really get good lift though.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #23569
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Bunny hopping a 29er is just more work. You just have to exaggerate the motions more. Once you get it, you really get good lift though.
It would be awesome if I could get it to work. There's nothing I hate more than looking like a total noob by having to dismount to climb over large branches and roots.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #23570
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,269
I'm able to bunny hop my Reign about 6-8" off the ground, but when I was a kid, I could bunnyhop my old BMX over a stood up five gallon bucket.

Trick is to rotate your wrists/hand forwards on the bars (think coming down off throttle on a moto) and push straight backwards on the pedals with your feet. If you keep you weight more forward, almost in climbing position, it's pretty easy. I don't know if this is the right/best way to learn it, but it works for me and I love the feeling of hopping logs laid out across the trail.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #23571
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
I've got a friend who tells me the same thing about his hybrid, and who thinks people who ride around in tights on carbon fiber road bikes are :ymca. My answer to him is that having a more efficient road bike allows me to get the same workout, while enabling me to ride faster or longer than he does.
+1

If anything, I burn *more* calories on a more efficient bike, because the pleasure I get out of the increased speed motivates me to work harder.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #23572
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
+1

If anything, I burn *more* calories on a more efficient bike, because the pleasure I get out of the increased speed motivates me to work harder.
My thoughts exactly. I've been riding the mountain bike exclusively for the past few weeks, so I decided to take the road bike out for a short ride. It was fantastic. I had entirely forgotten how smoothly and efficiently the Madone glides down the road. Thankfully both bikes provide such a totally different experience and do what they were designed to so well that I wouldn't dream of giving up one for the other. I am seriously thinking of selling my motorcycle, though.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #23573
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
I am seriously thinking of selling my motorcycle, though.
Hah. I'm in SF at the moment, in the process of relocating from NY. Once I get settled in with work and apartment and so on, I'm going to start shopping for a motorcycle. I gave motos up in favor of bicycles a few years ago, saying I'd pick them up again if I ever moved someplace with better riding and a longer riding season. Now I have.

Went on a beautiful / grueling / exhilarating ride in Marin county on my Roubaix today. At one point on Hwy 1 a guy on a 'busa passed me in a curve, hanging off (lovely growl from his engine). Then did a power wheelie, then crossed the double yellow to pass a minivan. Total hooligan. A few miles later I passed the him where he was parked on the roadside, looking at the sea. Dude had white hair.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #23574
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Hah. I'm in SF at the moment, in the process of relocating from NY. Once I get settled in with work and apartment and so on, I'm going to start shopping for a motorcycle. I gave motos up in favor of bicycles a few years ago, saying I'd pick them up again if I ever moved someplace with better riding and a longer riding season. Now I have.

Went on a beautiful / grueling / exhilarating ride in Marin county on my Roubaix today. At one point on Hwy 1 a guy on a 'busa passed me in a curve, hanging off (lovely growl from his engine). Then did a power wheelie, then crossed the double yellow to pass a minivan. Total hooligan. A few miles later I passed the him where he was parked on the roadside, looking at the sea. Dude had white hair.
I had something like that happen to me at Deals Gap a few years back. I'd been riding that stretch of road all week, and got to the point where almost no one - aside from two club racers on Gixxer 1000's - were fast enough to pass me. On my last run, I thought I heard the sound of a thumper approaching. Just as I glanced in my mirror, an orange blur flew by me, slicing through the corners at an insane speed. I finally caught up with the rider on a bridge. Turned out to be a gray haired old dude who said he used to race professionally. His footpegs were ground down to almost half their original length and the leather on the sides of his boots had completely worn through in places.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #23575
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Oof.

http://g.co/maps/5sgq7

Right around 12 hours or so, including the occasional stop to try and cram 8 slices of pizza in my pie hole.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #23576
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Oof.

Right around 12 hours or so, including the occasional stop to try and cram 8 slices of pizza in my pie hole.
Man - pretty good ride!

I did 200-km/125 miles today on the Owl Head Buttes brevet. It had about 5,300 ft of climbing and my time was 9:40. My (*&#(&* GPS locked up so I lost about half the data therefore I have no idea of my moving time/average/etc. 9:40 is an hour longer than the last 200 but that last 200 didn't have near the climbing of this one.

We had one rider who literally passed out due to the heat. It was just over 90 and that portion of the ride had continuous climbing that ranged from 3-12% (Webb Rd from San Manual to Oracle AZ). He was only a couple of miles from the downhill run into Tuscon.

The powers that be are considering adding this 200 to an existing 400 for our 600 next month. That will make it an extremely difficult ride. I think I can do it but I hope they'll reconsider! 400 is tough enough without the continuous climbing that the extra 200 requires. Oh well, time to harden up!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #23577
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Oof.

Righteous.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #23578
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Gent-Wevelgem is on RIGHT NOW on www.cyclingfans.com (or direct link)

M
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #23579
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
Any of you bicycle geeks have access (with out getting in trouble) to a QBP account...??

I need the part at the bottom of the picture (Yes I know I need to buy the whole kit) to repair three of my XTR 952 rear derailleurs, I just don't have any relationships with shops around here in salt Lake (I don't like any of them so far) so I prefer to give the money to somebody I like specially if I get a little discount.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #23580
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

One for the old timers

On Sunday I was heading back after a 30 mile ride, when much to my surprise, I saw out of the corner of my eye another rider pulling up on my left. I've been riding this trail for months and gotten quite used to the idea that I was the fastest rider out there, yet here was some old geezer not just keeping up with me, but out pacing me. Once he got in front, I increased my pace to match his, thinking that sooner or later he'd tire out and allow me to retake the lead. It never happened. Eventually we reached some uphill sections where he managed to pull away even further and then disappeared from sight in the turns. When the road finally straightened out again, there was no sign of him. I finally arrived back in the parking lot where I'd started, and spotted him loading up his bike. I went over and spoke with him briefly, wanting to know how he could be that fast. He looked much older than me but still had tree trunk thighs like those of a weight lifter. He said that while he only did long distance rides these day, he was once an Iron Man competitor, and that I shouldn't feel badly because in all the years he'd ridden that trail, no other rider had ever passed him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: