Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #23581
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I haven't ruled that out either, but it would only skip when I was standing on climbs ...anyone know how to adjust the SRAM rear deraileurs? With the Ultegra on my road bike I'd just have to set the outermost points and the indexing would take care of itself. I never had to mess with the barrel adjusters or anything. Is SRAM the same?
Pretty much works the same as Shimano. You need to mess with the barrell adjuster to make the indexing on the shifters line up with where the shift points actually are.

Of course, there's a whole host of other things that could be wrong/bent too, but that's probably the best place to start.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #23582
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Don't do it man. It'll ruin your life.

You'll go out for a quick training ride and then 10 hours later find yourself bushwhacking through a valley to find a road that existed on a 1950s era topo map.

Racks and frame bag on the way. Looking forward to some multi-day benders soon.
I took one for a spin at my LBS...... I was very close too buying it. I will get some cash here in the near future, it is on my short list for sure.

An easy way to NOT buy a bike when test riding. Don't bring ANY form of money!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #23583
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Pretty much works the same as Shimano. You need to mess with the barrell adjuster to make the indexing on the shifters line up with where the shift points actually are.

Of course, there's a whole host of other things that could be wrong/bent too, but that's probably the best place to start.
I still like to think it's my tree trunk like quads, but I'll try to adjust it and see how it works then.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #23584
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
I still like to think it's my tree trunk like quads, but I'll try to adjust it and see how it works then.
downshift into a lower gear, and spin, don't mash.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #23585
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.
VVV Exactly what "Gummee!" said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.

AFA slick, Gore cables.

AFA fancy ferrules, the Gore stuff comes with AL ferrules. That's about as fancy as it gets.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #23586
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got the Fargo done this weekend.
Geez! I hadn't realized or missed that you bought one. Well, given our previous tire size discussion, I admit I've been considering one. I'm going to do the Gravel Metric, in Dekalb, IL. They stock 'em and thought I'd take a closer look, while I'm up there. In the meantime, I'm going to give a set of 42mm a shot. Can't decide between TourRide (<< leaniing toward) or Country Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So after having gotten acquainted with the bike on a local trail, I decided to drive up to Ocala to ride the trails at Santos. The first time I was up there a few weeks ago, I stayed on the easy yellow trails, parts of which I thought were a bit challenging. This time around, they were ridiculously easy.
That bike is spoiling you!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #23587
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wasn't super impressed with his last one- "Ride The Divide". I think the trailers were better than the movie itself.

But I'm a complete sucker for the subject matter of these movies, so it's still a worthwhile experience.
I agree, on both accounts.

Quote:
I'm looking for a way to take my (now) 14 month old boy on rides wtih me this year. I'm leaning towards picking up a cheapish hybrid bike and one of those stem mounted seats. How long do you think can I reasonably expect the boy to stay comfortable/entertained. A trailer would seem more suited for longer rides. I suppose I will probably end up getting both...using the seat for short hops, and the trailer for longer rides. If anyone has any insight about riding with kids, I'd be glad to hear it.
Get a trailer. They're much safer than any bike-mounted carrier. A trailer fully encloses them with framework and they're strapped in with a harness. No matter what happens to you in a crash, they're safe inside. With a carrier and you crash, your child gets slammed to the ground. They have zero protection. No, trailers aren't cheap. But, they're an investment in your child's safety. I chose a Chariot Cougar, for my granddaughter, as I feel they're the best in the business.

Quote:
I think you have other problems rather than too much torque.
Agreed.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #23588
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,656
So what is it with jerseys?

I've been riding for a long time - never bought a jersey. Never really could justify the cost. Never seen many under a Benjamin.

Then there's the logo thing. Seems to me stuff would be cheaper with logos plastered all over it, but nope...it's more. Never could justify paying more for logos.

I've found light base layer material the awesome for cycling. But a regular ol cotton t-shirt ain't that bad most nice days.

So what gives? Why the premium for logo-laden cycle-specific garb?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #23589
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post

I've been riding for a long time - never bought a jersey. Never really could justify the cost. Never seen many under a Benjamin.

Then there's the logo thing. Seems to me stuff would be cheaper with logos plastered all over it, but nope...it's more. Never could justify paying more for logos.

I've found light base layer material the awesome for cycling. But a regular ol cotton t-shirt ain't that bad most nice days.

Wool is good.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #23590
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:

What color is your KLR

Cotton is simply terrible as a performance top- or bottom. the newer fabrics are lightyears ahead.

you can go w/o the logos, with some great bargins- shop around
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #23591
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
What color is your KLR

Cotton is simply terrible as a performance top- or bottom. the newer fabrics are lightyears ahead.

you can go w/o the logos, with some great bargins- shop around
So light years ahead. What does that mean?

I do know the difference between cotton and synthetics. I also own and ride with both. I just wandered the difference in a $30 base layer top and a $100 cycling specific top, etc....if there is any.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #23592
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,137
Quote:
So light years ahead. What does that mean?

I do know the difference between cotton and synthetics. I also own and ride with both. I just wandered the difference in a $30 base layer top and a $100 cycling specific top, etc....if there is any.

I am not a big fan of logo wear but I wear a full zip jersey. It's blue and white and plain and boring Bought it on sale for 30 bucks I think. I like the full zipper as I ride up hills a lot in Colorado.

It's a huge cycling community in colorado. There are tons of people in full garb with plenty of logos. Many people in my spin class are decked out in full riding gear. I wear whatever I find clean. Yes the gear is expensive. Some ridiculously expensive. Just like any other sport you are either paying for the brand, the athlete name, whatever. I live near a pearl Izumi outlet if you need anything just holler.
Green Stainz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #23593
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:

Because it lets us think we're cool.

http://www.twinsix.com/gear/mens-tec...coffins-j-2011

There's probably better reasons, but I can't think of them right now.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #23594
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Can't decide between TourRide (<< leaniing toward) or Country Plus.
Just to make it even more confusing...

If you're a conti fan, a teammate of mine ran these in a gravel road race once: http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._speed_en.html

He seemed to like them, but not long distance gravel road racing so much.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #23595
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Geez! I hadn't realized or missed that you bought one. Well, given our previous tire size discussion, I admit I've been considering one. I'm going to do the Gravel Metric, in Dekalb, IL. They stock 'em and thought I'd take a closer look, while I'm up there. In the meantime, I'm going to give a set of 42mm a shot. Can't decide between TourRide (<< leaniing toward) or Country Plus.

That bike is spoiling you!

currently have a set of the country plus on my fargo and love them. They roll fast and no flats as of yet. No experience with the tour rides. Have had a couple sets of top contacts and they are really nice tires as well.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: