Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #23581
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Any of you bicycle geeks have access (with out getting in trouble) to a QBP account...??

I need the part at the bottom of the picture (Yes I know I need to buy the whole kit) to repair three of my XTR 952 rear derailleurs, I just don't have any relationships with shops around here in salt Lake (I don't like any of them so far) so I prefer to give the money to somebody I like specially if I get a little discount.
You have any D/A derailleurs? Parts should be the same.

...or you can use the top of the D/A derailleur and put an XTR bottom on it. XT and Ultegra are interchangeable. XTR and D/A are interchangeable. At least in that vintage.

BTDT

(I may have one b-tension plate in my bin of stuff it it helps)

M
Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #23582
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,509
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
On Sunday I was heading back after a 30 mile ride, when much to my surprise, I saw out of the corner of my eye another rider pulling up on my left. I've been riding this trail for months and gotten quite used to the idea that I was the fastest rider out there, yet here was some old geezer not just keeping up with me, but out pacing me. Once he got in front, I increased my pace to match his, thinking that sooner or later he'd tire out and allow me to retake the lead. It never happened. Eventually we reached some uphill sections where he managed to pull away even further and then disappeared from sight in the turns. When the road finally straightened out again, there was no sign of him. I finally arrived back in the parking lot where I'd started, and spotted him loading up his bike. I went over and spoke with him briefly, wanting to know how he could be that fast. He looked much older than me but still had tree trunk thighs like those of a weight lifter. He said that while he only did long distance rides these day, he was once an Iron Man competitor, and that I shouldn't feel badly because in all the years he'd ridden that trail, no other rider had ever passed him.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #23583
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Awesome!
I'm still amazed. In most sports you're considered washed up by the time you hit your 30's, and yet this guy is still going strong at 60+ years of age. I wish I had his genetics!
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #23584
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'm closing on 60 now and when all this stupid overtime goes away I'll be back to running and pedaling.
I've given up on racing long ago with banged up knees and six surgeries I have no illusions about that. Long distances though are one thing I know I can do to the grave.
My favorite look of surprise when I was in my prime, in my late 40's in Denver. I was riding interval climbs over at Redrocks park, (From the lower parking lot to the top. I caught and passed a young guy on my third climb, he was struggling a bit.
As I pedaled in circles at the top to cool down we talked a bit. He was a cat II from NYC, who moved out to Denver area after college for work and was thinking he was going to be hammering some folks.
His first comment to me was "Fuck, you're and old guy!"
Then I told him I was a cat IV.
The look on his face was priceless.
We rode for a couple of hours over to Golden and up Lariat trail to Buffalo Bill's Grave, and over to Evergreen and back down Bear Creek Canyon. Along the way I told him in about two weeks of riding he would get used to the altitude and begin to be able to keep pace and start getting away. Told him about the local big teams too.
This last winter I got a similar comment a couple of times on the trail riding to the ocean and back.

Now, I've not been on the bike or run more than a few steps since January. 12 to 14 hour days and seven day weeks are plumping me up again.
But, the end of that is nearing. I'm going to go get my new running gear this weekend if I can manage the time. Then at least I can sneak away after work for some sweat and gasping.

Quote:
I'm still amazed. In most sports you're considered washed up by the time you hit your 30's, and yet this guy is still going strong at 60+ years of age. I wish I had his genetics!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #23585
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm closing on 60 now and when all this stupid overtime goes away I'll be back to running and pedaling.
I've given up on racing long ago with banged up knees and six surgeries I have no illusions about that. Long distances though are one thing I know I can do to the grave.
My favorite look of surprise when I was in my prime, in my late 40's in Denver. I was riding interval climbs over at Redrocks park, (From the lower parking lot to the top. I caught and passed a young guy on my third climb, he was struggling a bit.
As I pedaled in circles at the top to cool down we talked a bit. He was a cat II from NYC, who moved out to Denver area after college for work and was thinking he was going to be hammering some folks.
His first comment to me was "Fuck, you're and old guy!"
Then I told him I was a cat IV.
The look on his face was priceless.
We rode for a couple of hours over to Golden and up Lariat trail to Buffalo Bill's Grave, and over to Evergreen and back down Bear Creek Canyon. Along the way I told him in about two weeks of riding he would get used to the altitude and begin to be able to keep pace and start getting away. Told him about the local big teams too.
This last winter I got a similar comment a couple of times on the trail riding to the ocean and back.

Now, I've not been on the bike or run more than a few steps since January. 12 to 14 hour days and seven day weeks are plumping me up again.
But, the end of that is nearing. I'm going to go get my new running gear this weekend if I can manage the time. Then at least I can sneak away after work for some sweat and gasping.
I mentioned my experience on Sunday to a friend who got me back into riding. He claims there's someone named Bill Erwin who rides with the fastest group of cyclists in the area, and he's 75 years old!! I'm sure he's always been a gifted athlete, but it's amazing to see how long the human body can continue to perform at those high levels even at such a late age.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #23586
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Cycling is different in that aspect. Last month I got passed by an old grey beard on the steepest climb section of my return leg heading home. Felt like I was going backwards or riding with my little brother who's a hammer head.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #23587
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Cycling is different in that aspect. Last month I got passed by an old grey beard on the steepest climb section of my return leg heading home. Felt like I was going backwards or riding with my little brother who's a hammer head.
Yeah, there are lots of grey haired riders on the roads and trails around here. I learned early on not to underestimate them. Strangely, I can't recall ever seeing any older guys riding mountain bikes. All the riders around here seem to be in their 30's or younger.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #23588
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,129
I don't think fast, old people are more gifted than the rest of us. I think it has more to do with discipline. They pay attention to how they treat their bodies and utilize them. The aforementioned Ironman competitor is probably as disciplined a person as they come. We have four local IM competitors (1 is a pro-1 was a featured competitor on the 2011 Kona telecast) and they definitely live differently from the average "cyclist".

Oh yeah, don't forget that older people usually have more time to ride/train.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #23589
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Attention Southeast Riders

If anyone is interested in doing a very well organized century, the 3State 3Mountain Challenge is May, 5. People come from all over to ride this one because the sag support and the scenery are second to none.
http://www.active.com/cycling/chatta...challenge-2012
This will be my third year in a row riding this event. Its the only century I do and its a lot of fun/punishment followed by a real sense of accomplishment. The final few miles as you enter the city is great because the cops shut down the intersections and give you your own lane.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #23590
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

You what's really telling is I have yet to see any old guys in Go Pro Downill Freeride videos.

Quote:
Yeah, there are lots of grey haired riders on the roads and trails around here. I learned early on not to underestimate them. Strangely, I can't recall ever seeing any older guys riding mountain bikes. All the riders around here seem to be in their 30's or younger.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #23591
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Bunny hop fail

Well, I just spent a bunch more time trying to get my 29er to bunny hop, but still no joy. I can barely even get the front wheel of the ground, never mind the rear.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #23592
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
You what's really telling is I have yet to see any old guys in Go Pro Downill Freeride videos.
That's just because old guys don't have to take videos of everything and post them on facebook.

I've seen plenty of guys well into their sixties tearing it up....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #23593
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

So far all I've torn up is me.
But, those wooden curved ramps sure get my blood racing.

I maintain I NEED a FS bike to do that.

My version of stupid was riding the Worlds downhill course. Scared myself a few times. There was a jump at the bottom. Got some big eyes on that one the last run of the day.

Stupid Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That's just because old guys don't have to take videos of everything and post them on facebook.

I've seen plenty of guys well into their sixties tearing it up....

Mr Head screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 06:32 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #23594
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,544
Note to self: do not do 2 x 20min intervals the day before the Wed nite ride out of the Haymarket shop.

Legs felt like poo. No top end at all.

M
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #23595
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Holy Bizzarro weather, batman.

Actually riding singletrack in March. Usually, I have to wait for the next month that begins with M.

First time with Fat Eino out on real singletrack too. It's.... interesting.....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: