Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #23596
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I do know the difference between cotton and synthetics. I also own and ride with both. I just wandered the difference in a $30 base layer top and a $100 cycling specific top, etc....if there is any.
Think of it as the difference between Touratech and Holan Nomada. Both made in the same factory, but the labels hike the price to ridiculous levels. I just wear moisture wicking shirts from Kohls, Mao Mart, or clearance jerseys from HucknRoll. My brother gave me a high dollar short sleeve RaboBank jersey last year and its freaking hotter than hell.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #23597
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
you can go w/o the logos, with some great bargins- shop around
keep an eye on www.longscycles.com as well as www.pricepoint.com

Cotton is great. Till you start to sweat. Then it just absorbs water, but doesn't do anything else with it. The synthetics will move the water/sweat out a layer and help it evaporate, keeping you either cooler or warmer depending on what temps you're riding in.

...then there's Merino. Mmmmmm wool. Does all that synthetics do, but doesn't stink. Insulates when its wet too! This is especially important if you overdress during cooler rides. DAHMHIK

If I had to make 2 recommendations, they'd be merino base layers and those mesh base layers like the pros wear:

Something like this one. The open weave traps a lot of air in the mesh keeping you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

M
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #23598
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Just to make it even more confusing...

If you're a conti fan, a teammate of mine ran these in a gravel road race once: http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._speed_en.html

He seemed to like them, but not long distance gravel road racing so much.
Those are too 'cross biased. I don't think they'll last very long on asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
currently have a set of the country plus on my fargo and love them. They roll fast and no flats as of yet. No experience with the tour rides. Have had a couple sets of top contacts and they are really nice tires as well.
Currently on Contacts. I like that the Country Plus has a solid rib for pavement longevity and an aggressive enough shoulder tread to deal with farm roads. Some of the dirt roads have a crusty surface, but, are silty-soft under that. My Contacts spin in that stuff, partly because they're 32mm and partly because they have no lugs and nearly worn out. I think I'll do the Country Plus. That's settled.Thanks!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #23599
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I do know the difference between cotton and synthetics. I also own and ride with both. I just wandered the difference in a $30 base layer top and a $100 cycling specific top, etc....if there is any.
About $70.

All joking aside, I don't see how cotton can compete with modern synthetics. Cotton fades, its fibers fray over time, it shrinks in the wash, and it doesn't resist abrasion and tearing nearly as well as synthetics. The old argument that cotton does a more efficient job of wicking away moisture doesn't hold much water these days (pun intended). That was certainly true in the 1970's, when wearing shirts and trousers made from artificial fibers in the Summer heat was like wearing a plastic garbage bag, but the modern cycling tops I wear do an excellent job of keeping me cool in the heat. They also don't cost me $100; I buy them on sale for $30.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #23600
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I re-discovered a few things about 2 hrs ago

1. Hail hurts
2. Getting hail blown at you sideways hurts more
3. it IS possible to ride a bicycle in a more-or-less straight line when being blown sideways.
4. Scattered rainstorms mean just that.
5. Tailwinds rock
6. Did I mention hail hurts? When its being blown into your ears its a 'special' feeling.

M
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #23601
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
There's a reason I elected to go running today instead of riding, mate.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #23602
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
There's a reason I elected to go running today instead of riding, mate.
yeah, well...

I'm not too bright sometimes

M
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #23603
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,331
Yikes
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #23604
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Question Gimme some suggestions

If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #23605
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,296
Love my Santa Cruz Heckler. Friend bought a DiamondBack Mission 2 ( I think it's a Mission 2 might be Mission 1) and has had zero issues with it.

I had my front master cylinder start to leak but was replaced with upgraded Avids by Competitive Cyclist free of charge. Also had my headset munch itself, was told this happened because it was lacking grease. No issues since.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #23606
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?

Here are some bikes that are the shit in one way or another....

Tomac Vanish
DeVinci Dixon
Santa Cruz Butcher
Intense tracer 2
Cove G spot

I will post more as I remember.

Be sure to check out the 140mm bikes as well.

mud screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 09:16 AM
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #23607
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Love my Santa Cruz Heckler. Friend bought a DiamondBack Mission 2 ( I think it's a Mission 2 might be Mission 1) and has had zero issues with it.
Just read some sterling reviews of the Heckler. Not only do they describe it as 'bombproof', but the price is extremely competitive as well. No wonder it gets perfect marks for 'value'. Wish I knew of a Santa Cruz dealer in my area so I could try one.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #23608
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just read some sterling reviews of the Heckler. Not only do they describe it as 'bombproof', but the price is extremely competitive as well. No wonder it gets perfect marks for 'value'. Wish I knew of a Santa Cruz dealer in my area so I could try one.
Wait, didn't you just buy a new mountain bike ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #23609
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Here are some bikes that are the shit in one way or another....

Tomac Vanish
DeVinci Dixon
Santa Cruz Butcher
Intense tracer 2
Cove G spot

I will post more as I remember.

Be sure to check out the 140mm bikes as well.
All those look very good, but it seems the Santa Cruz Heckler still beats them hands down in terms of price. Makes me wonder why.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #23610
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Wait, didn't you just buy a new mountain bike ?
Yabbut, it's for a different purpose. I rode one of the 'Experts Only' trails last weekend on a borrowed bike with 7 inches of suspension travel. I was doing four foot drops and bouncing down steep rocky hills like it was nothing. The Trek salesman told me that if I tried that on my Superfly 100, I'd break the carbon fiber frame and void the warranty.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: