Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 132 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #23611
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Well, I'm brainstorming, for a couple reasons. I'm thinking of jumping up in size, for better ride and flotation on our farm roads (probably like your forest roads). Plus, my MTB partner is buying a 'cross bike, to ride the same roads, and is ~255lbs. I thought he'd be a sure bet for them, but, I was going to try them first. I'd have to ditch my fenders and get a wider set. Mainly, I'm concerned about losing a lot of speed, on asphalt.
Actually, the place I've found where larger tires just kill you speedwise is in the dirt. Aired down low enough to take advantage of the float, there's a *lot* of rolling resistance there.

I guess I see the relationship as this- Tire size only matters for one reason: Bigger tires let you run lower pressures without pinch flatting. Tire size by itself doesn't really affect speed, traction, or flotation. It's all in the air pressure that size lets you run. Of course, this is highly simplified, but I consider it the most important factor.

One thing I've discovered in fat biking is that rim size makes an even bigger difference in flotation than actual tire size.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #23612
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Must be a Floriduh thang. Sounds like the Floridiot motorcyclists who come up here to ride the mountains and crash, which happens with alarming regularity. Must be those pesky corners that cause them to think too much.
Corners?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #23613
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Actually, the place I've found where larger tires just kill you speedwise is in the dirt. Aired down low enough to take advantage of the float, there's a *lot* of rolling resistance there.
Agreed, as you flexing a longer length of sidewall and flexing it further/deeper.

Quote:
I guess I see the relationship as this- Tire size only matters for one reason: Bigger tires let you run lower pressures without pinch flatting. Tire size by itself doesn't really affect speed, traction, or flotation. It's all in the air pressure that size lets you run. Of course, this is highly simplified, but I consider it the most important factor.

One thing I've discovered in fat biking is that rim size makes an even bigger difference in flotation than actual tire size.
That all makes sense.

Currently, I'm on 32mm. On large media (1-1/4"), gravel roads, they're all over the place and I can feel the rims occasionally bottom. I crank up the speed, to gain stability. On dirt that is crusted, they break through, sink, and spin. On the road they're pretty harsh.

37mm have been a good compromise. I replaced my GF's knobbies with these and that's how I ended up on 32mm; thought I'd try them. Now, I'm thinking of going larger, to see how they work.

I'll give an update, if/when I try them.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #23614
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Should have the Fargo done this weekend though. Going to try 2.1s on that for a while.
Pics, please; Hope you enjoy it.

We've been in SF for about 3 weeks now. I've managed to do some road riding. I'm quickly remembering how crazy the hills here are. I think the only other time I've done an 8 mile, 2000 ft climb was the last time I went road biking here, 2 years ago.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #23615
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Spring Classics forum NOW!!!!

All on NBCSports (old Versus channel).

Tour of Flanders: April 1 at 8:30 a.m.
The Tour of Flanders is a Flanders Classics road cycling race held in Belgium every spring, a week before the Paris-Roubaix road race. It is part of the UCI ProTour and one of the so-called monuments of the European professional calendar, and contributes to the UCI World Ranking points. It is the most important cycling race in Belgium and, along with Paris-Roubaix, the world's most important cycling race held on a single day.

Paris Roubaix: April 8 at 9 a.m.; 3-hour race analysis at 7 p.m.
Paris-Roubaix is one of the oldest races of the professional road cycling calendar. First run in 1896, it has been stopped only by the two world wars. The race usually leaves riders caked in mud and grit, from the cobbled roads and rutted tracks of northern France's former coal-mining region. However, this is not how this race earned the nickname l'enfer du Nord, or Hell of the North. The term was used to describe the route of the race immediately after World War I. The organisers give levels of difficulty to the cobbled sections, evaluated by length, irregularity of the cobbles and the condition of each section and its position in the race. The course passed through ruins, craters and destruction. Every year seems to bring a new controversy and greater glory to the victor. This is truly a cobbled classic race that should not be missed.

Fleche Wallonne: April 21 at 12:30 a.m.
The Flèche Wallonne is an international cycling race of one day, a classic, which takes place in Belgium during the spring. 2010 saw Team BMC'sCadel Evans resplendent in the rainbow stripes of the world champion, didn't hit the front until the last 100 meters of his victory in the northern classic.

Liege Bastogne Liege: April 22 at 12:30 a.m.
The oldest of the classics, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, draws an end to the spring racing season. La Doyenne is one of the "Monuments" of the professional racing calendar and is part of the Belgian Ardennes Classics series. Don't miss the arduous climbs riders will be facing throughout the route.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #23616
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,300
Go Evelyn Stevens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #23617
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
Spring Classics forum NOW!!!!

Tour of Flanders: April 1 at 8:30 a.m.

Paris Roubaix: April 8 at 9 a.m.; 3-hour race analysis at 7 p.m.

Fleche Wallonne: April 21 at 12:30 a.m.

Liege Bastogne Liege: April 22 at 12:30 a.m.
My DVR has been .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Go Evelyn Stevens!
She's so hawt!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #23618
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Got my dream bike today!

I had just finished riding my favorite local trail on my Trek X-Caliber, and decided to pay a brief visit to the Trek store where I'd bought it, hoping to see my dream bike: the Trek Superfly 100 Pro. Naturally they didn't have a carbon fiber model in stock. They never do. But while I was talking to one of the salespeople, another mentioned that they still had a few 2011 models available at the factory in Wisconsin. These are identical to the 2012 models, aside from having a different paint job. The closeout price was a couple of thousand below the regular price, which got my interest right away. I then asked what I could get on a trade-in for my X-Caliber. I was sure they'd offer me next to nothing for it, but I thought I should at least ask. After a few minutes of whispering to his manager, the sales guy came back with an offer I couldn't refuse: they would refund the amount I paid for the X-Caliber and subtract that from the price of the Superfly, which was already $2000 below list. On top of that, they would take the extended 5 year parts & labor warranty I had on the X-Caliber and apply it to the Superfly, saving me another ~$200. I couldn't believe what was happening, but committed to the purchase before the sales guy or his manager regained their senses. I don't know why they'd be willing to refund the purchase price of a bike I'd been riding for several months, but who am I to question their wisdom?

I returned minutes later with a cashier's check, so now it's just a matter of waiting until Thursday, when the bike should be ready for pickup.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #23619
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,963
Nice bike. I bought the Superfly HT about 3 weeks ago.

Took it for a spin yesterday.

http://app.strava.com/rides/5963688

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #23620
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I had just finished riding my favorite local trail on my Trek X-Caliber, and decided to pay a brief visit to the Trek store where I'd bought it, hoping to buy my dream bike: the Trek Superfly 100 Pro.
^^^ Fixed.

I think you're officially hooked on the MTB thang.

You're actually getting something like I'd originally suggested. I think you'll be much happier, once you ride it. Good for you!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #23621
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ Fixed.

I think you're officially hooked on the MTB thang.

You're actually getting something like I'd originally suggested. I think you'll be much happier, once you ride it. Good for you!!!!
I bought the X-Caliber because I didn't know whether I'd be any good at mountain biking, or that I'd even enjoy it. It wasn't that expensive a bike, so I thought I could always sell it at a minimum loss if the whole idea turned out to be a flop. Now I actually enjoy off-roading more than riding on pavement, and I've gotten pretty good at it, so I figured it was time to get serious.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #23622
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
The most awesome bike racing trophy ever:

But wait until you see what's inside:

Holy ironic patriotism, batman!

I won it in an alley cat/scavenger hunt. Mainly for the story involving me (dressed like batman) and my teammate stopping off in a gas station and buying a big bag of M&Ms, a 12 pack of old style, condoms, and one ice cream sandwich.

Gas station attendant was completely unfazed. Maybe this sort of thing happens a lot.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #23623
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The most awesome bike racing trophy ever:

I won it in an alley cat/scavenger hunt. Mainly for the story involving me (dressed like batman) and my teammate stopping off in a gas station and buying a big bag of M&Ms, a 12 pack of old style, condoms, and one ice cream sandwich.

Gas station attendant was completely unfazed. Maybe this sort of thing happens a lot.

That sounds like a story from these guys.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #23624
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 853
A good day in the saddle today after a lot of time off due to work and torrential rains (no awesome spherical trophies, though). I opted no to do the last climb, a steep-ass out 'n back. Like Harry Callahan said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #23625
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Shortened to the critical elements of the story.

Doesn't it feel good getting what you dreamed of all along? Congrats!
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: