Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #23611
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
All those look very good, but it seems the Santa Cruz Heckler still beats them hands down in terms of price. Makes me wonder why.
I don't know why the Heckler is cheaper than the Vanish or the Butcher. BUT, all the others I listed are domestic (or Canadian). Santa Cruz and Tomac and over seas bikes and the price shows.

The Heckler is a SOLID bike! My brother has an old one, still a great bike.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #23612
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Yabbut, it's for a different purpose. I rode one of the 'Experts Only' trails last weekend on a borrowed bike with 7 inches of suspension travel. I was doing four foot drops and bouncing down steep rocky hills like it was nothing. The Trek salesman told me that if I tried that on my Superfly 100, I'd break the carbon fiber frame and void the warranty.

I have a couple of seasons on a Fuel EX8 that I've ridden on just about every type of trail we have here in the midwest. Granted it's not a 7 inch travel monster (120mm front/rear) but it pedals really well, isn't carbon and can soak up everything I've thrown at it with suspention that feels bottomless when you're in rough stuff.
For the money I think it's a great bike.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #23613
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I have a couple of seasons on a Fuel EX8 that I've ridden on just about every type of trail we have here in the midwest. Granted it's not a 7 inch travel monster (120mm front/rear) but it pedals really well, isn't carbon and can soak up everything I've thrown at it with suspention that feels bottomless when you're in rough stuff.
For the money I think it's a great bike.
I may take a test ride on one, but Treks seem a bit pricey compared to the competition.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #23614
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I may take a test ride on one, but Treks seem a bit pricey compared to the competition.
How much buck for your bang are you looking for?
Complete bike?
Frameset?

Transition Covert
Knolly Chilcotin
Knolly Endorphin
Banshee Spitfire

These are just some really good bikes and frames that you don't find everday. Be sure to check out Specialized as well, they have a really strong lineup in the bike you are looking for. Giant also....
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #23615
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?

Make sure when you are looking at this type of bike you get to ride it well, not just around the parking lot). You are getting into the range of bikes that don't really like to go up hills with this much travel... They have gotten better over the years, but some still only want to go down. It's all relative though.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #23616
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
How much buck for your bang are you looking for?
Complete bike?
Frameset?
I'm more interested in a complete bike. I don't know enough about these to build my own from parts.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #23617
mud
I just wander.....

More, mainstream, but no less impressive.

Giant Reign
Specialized Enduro

I think I am done for a little while. The two above are really great bikes. Rave reviews!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #23618
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
More, mainstream, but no less impressive.

Giant Reign
Specialized Enduro

I think I am done for a little while. The two above are really great bikes. Rave reviews!
Holy cow, at last! Specialized actually has a dealership near me.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #23619
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
When it all comes together, bliss could be defined as hammering UPhill at the end of a 40 minute intervals ride.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #23620
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Cyclingnews has a photo spread on some of the support vehicles used in Paris-Roubaix.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...-paris-roubaix

I'm gonna put in an application with Mavic to be this guy;

Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #23621
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'm gonna put in an application with Mavic to be this guy"
I dunno man, riding two up, at low speed, in those conditions, with a bunch of crazy bicyclists around you. Not for me.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #23622
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Make sure when you are looking at this type of bike you get to ride it well, not just around the parking lot). You are getting into the range of bikes that don't really like to go up hills with this much travel... They have gotten better over the years, but some still only want to go down. It's all relative though.
Sage advice... except for the fact that Aurelius lives in FL.:loll My 2 cents to him would be to get up to speed on his current ride and work on his skill set before graduating to a long travel bike. A fancy high dollar bike won't make him a better rider. There are lots of folks around here who have spent thousands of bucks only to find out they're still slow.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #23623
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I'm about to throw down for my first cross bike. It will mostly be a gravel grinder and shitty back road bike. I'm thinking the caadx with 105 will work. I get 25% off on cannondales. I already have wheels, so I could sell the take-offs as new and come in well under $2k. Sure, I don't need it, but the cross movement has made it to Tx.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #23624
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sage advice... except for the fact that Aurelius lives in FL.:loll My 2 cents to him would be to get up to speed on his current ride and work on his skill set before graduating to a long travel bike. A fancy high dollar bike won't make him a better rider. There are lots of folks around here who have spent thousands of bucks only to find out they're still slow.
But I'm not slow - anymore. The first time I rode at Santos about a month ago, I was easily the slowest rider out there (except for a few kids ). Last weekend I was one of the fastest riders on those very same trails, and a lot of that has to do with how much better my FS copes rocks and roots compared to my HT. Because of that, I can fly through those trails at much higher speeds than before without any fear of crashing. The only trails at Santos that are still difficult for me today are the 'expert only' Red trails. And just as before, having a different bike would make an enormous difference there. How do I know this? Because I did back to back runs on my Superfly and on a bike I borrowed from an instructor which was equipped with massive forks and 7 inches of suspension travel. His bike would glide over huge rocks as easily as my Superfly would go over a 2x4. It was absolutely unstoppable. Instead of having to pick my lines carefully through or around obstacles, I just plowed right over them at full speed.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #23625
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
I'm about to throw down for my first cross bike. It will mostly be a gravel grinder and shitty back road bike. I'm thinking the caadx with 105 will work. I get 25% off on cannondales. I already have wheels, so I could sell the take-offs as new and come in well under $2k. Sure, I don't need it, but the cross movement has made it to Tx.
Cross is probably the hardest thing I've ever done on two wheels. Most fun too!

Aurelius: faster does not equal better rider. All this means is you've paid more for the bike than someone else. Break out that HT again and get fast on that, THEN go bashing over stuff with no regard to lines, smoothness, and finesse. Learn the right way before you take short-cuts.

Yeah, I'm a retro-grouch that learned to ride off-road when there was no such thing as suspension.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: