User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #23626
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,154
More shakedown rides on the ernge-handled silver bullet. CAAD9 frame with Ultegra drivetrain.

Once you get used to the stiffness of the ride, HOOBOY will the thing move. Way less cushy than my Sirrus, but the bloody thing almost pedals itself. Notes to self from build;

Rotate bars upwards 5 degrees.
Figure out squeak coming from front axle.
Tune front derailleur
Get better at clipping in without looking down.
True up front wheel.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #23627
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
Spring Classics forum NOW!!!!

All on NBCSports (old Versus channel).

Tour of Flanders: April 1 at 8:30 a.m.
The Tour of Flanders is a Flanders Classics road cycling race held in Belgium every spring, a week before the Paris-Roubaix road race. It is part of the UCI ProTour and one of the so-called monuments of the European professional calendar, and contributes to the UCI World Ranking points. It is the most important cycling race in Belgium and, along with Paris-Roubaix, the world's most important cycling race held on a single day.

Paris Roubaix: April 8 at 9 a.m.; 3-hour race analysis at 7 p.m.
Paris-Roubaix is one of the oldest races of the professional road cycling calendar. First run in 1896, it has been stopped only by the two world wars. The race usually leaves riders caked in mud and grit, from the cobbled roads and rutted tracks of northern France's former coal-mining region. However, this is not how this race earned the nickname l'enfer du Nord, or Hell of the North. The term was used to describe the route of the race immediately after World War I. The organisers give levels of difficulty to the cobbled sections, evaluated by length, irregularity of the cobbles and the condition of each section and its position in the race. The course passed through ruins, craters and destruction. Every year seems to bring a new controversy and greater glory to the victor. This is truly a cobbled classic race that should not be missed.

Fleche Wallonne: April 21 at 12:30 a.m.
The Flèche Wallonne is an international cycling race of one day, a classic, which takes place in Belgium during the spring. 2010 saw Team BMC'sCadel Evans resplendent in the rainbow stripes of the world champion, didn't hit the front until the last 100 meters of his victory in the northern classic.

Liege Bastogne Liege: April 22 at 12:30 a.m.
The oldest of the classics, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, draws an end to the spring racing season. La Doyenne is one of the "Monuments" of the professional racing calendar and is part of the Belgian Ardennes Classics series. Don't miss the arduous climbs riders will be facing throughout the route.
...and if you don't get OLN/VS/NBC Sports there's always www.cyclingfans.com with a list of live feeds.

I had the US TV show and the Dutch web feed going at the same time. LOTS of stuff happened in the commercial breaks.

Actually scouted trail for my next hare date for the Hillbilly H3 yesterday. Then went and played UW Hockey last nite. No, it won't make me a better cyclist, but since I'm never gonna be pro anyway, I may as well have fun while I'm here.

M
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #23628
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Soldier's Creek Trail

This video was made by a rider in my area. I found it hilarious to watch a couple of total n00bs go through what has become my favorite local off-road trail. Loved his wife's reaction at one point where she says, "I just wanna get out of here!"

The trail is actually MUCH more challenging and dangerous than it looks in the video. The first time I rode it I almost turned back only a minute into the ride, thinking it would end in another trip to the hospital.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #23629
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
The cruelest month was particularly cruel to my bicycling plan. 2780 as of this morning. 166 miles in Feb, for a total of 430 in 2012. That hurt. I should be at 583 already. I need a couple big (for me) months to get back on track.
Fuck. 2921 as of this morning. 141 pitiful miles in March. I've been sick, I've been hurt, the weather sucks, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line, I'm not getting the job done. 571 miles in three months ain't cutting it. I may need to rethink my whole strategy. Here's hoping for a good April.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #23630
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,873
I could walk most of that first trail.

If I didn't have my bike.

Well, I got out for a ride yesterday.

Finally. I have not ridden since the 29th of January. Back then I thought I'd be a slim-trim 150 pounds and riding 300 mile weeks.

So much for dreams and half-assed plans.

I won't get another ride in until next weekend if I am lucky. This will be another week of 12 to 14 hour days.
Just what I need a little more pressure...

We had a slab-leak, this means the plumbing, i.e. water supply piping began leaking. Well such that we could see it. A week or so ago then the plumber fixed it over the course of 4 days, now tomorrow the re-construction begins.
The leaks were in two fire walls and four manifolds. This is the 4th house in the build to experience this.

Once the dust settles I'll be out a couple grand. I don't know about you all, but I had other plans for any couple of grand that happened to turn up unclaimed.

Oh and just to keep things interesting my aging Adventure, (181,000+ miles) has been wafting the aroma of burning gear oil off the CAT. So the leak doesn't show at either end, so that's good. No idea where the drip is coming from..

On the good side of the scale I found a pair of jeans I bought about 10 years ago and they fit!
I'm wearing them today as my anti-fatbastard reminder to myself.

I should get lots of riding in once this project is done since there isn't any work to do after.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #23631
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
You gotta wear protective eyewear when you put on those old pants, in case a button blows off and ricochets!!
I got out for 55 miles yesterday, and it was windy as hell. By mile 40 my legs were killing me, and it was a tough 15 home. We did 50+ two weeks ago, and I felt great the whole ride. Funny how that works.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #23632
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This video was made by a rider in my area.
Too painful to watch. Just couldn't do it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #23633
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Too painful to watch. Just couldn't do it.
You haven't seen MY video yet.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #23634
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You haven't seen MY video yet.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #23635
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:

The trail is actually MUCH more challenging and dangerous than it looks in the video....
You know the reason why that trail is right on the edge of a stream, right?

Because there wasn't a thousand-foot vertical drop around.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #23636
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Hey Bimble!

http://gravelconspiracy.blogspot.com...s-edition.html

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #23637
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That looks cool!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #23638
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
That sounds fun! Some great roads up there. Some very evil ones as well. Lots of elevation changes..... Not big, but, up and down and up and down and....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #23639
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
That sounds fun! Some great roads up there. Some very evil ones as well.
I love this description of the ride:
"There is no sag, there is no support, no one will come to get you if you get a flat. At times you will be 40 miles from the nearest gas station.
You could get eaten. Bugs. Bears. Cougars (not the sassy, middle-aged kind either)."
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #23640
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

One more day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: