User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #23641
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789

Only the 2nd outside ride of the year...yesterday was the first! Last year at this time I had over 200 miles already...ugh!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #23642
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
You don't realize how long 20sec really is...

...till you're doing hill sprints!

Ugh

M
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #23643
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
hill sprints!
One of my favorite quick training sessions! I have a one-minute, 14% climb near my house that is great when I don't have time for 40 miles (typical after-work training ride). It's a short loop: one minute to go four city blocks uphill, then two minutes to circle around to get back to the bottom. When I was racing full-time, I'd do 10-20 of these, but not all at sprint pace. The goal was to keep under one minute for the climb and under three minute for the lap, for 30-60 minutes, but I would throw in a couple of uphill sprints per session just coz it feels good when you stop!
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #23644
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
First ride outside in a while. Little windy out there. Why the hell I am always riding into a headwind

OK, mebbe not, but it sure as hell felt like it
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #23645
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Why the hell I am always riding into a headwind OK, mebbe not, but it sure as hell felt like it
Mostly it is human perception but it is true that even a direct crosswind (90 deg to the path of travel) resolves into a partial headwind when you're moving. And with bicycles where the wind can be a big percentage of the bike's speed, the effect is pronounced.

For example, if you want to maintain 15 mph in a 10 mph direct crosswind you actually have to pedal as hard as you would to go 18 mph in no-wind conditions. Even though the crosswind is directly from the side, it has the same effect on your speed and effort as a 3 mph headwind.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #23646
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Mostly it is human perception but it is true that even a direct crosswind (90 deg to the path of travel) resolves into a partial headwind when you're moving. And with bicycles where the wind can be a big percentage of the bike's speed, the effect is pronounced.

For example, if you want to maintain 15 mph in a 10 mph direct crosswind you actually have to pedal as hard as you would to go 18 mph in no-wind conditions. Even though the crosswind is directly from the side, it has the same effect on your speed and effort as a 3 mph headwind.

- Mark
That and pretty much everything that's not directly behind you feels like a headwind.

I had those same sidewinds pretty much the entire 4hrs i was out yesterday. Thankfully, they weren't very strong.

I've got a paying gig to be sag/mechanic for a training camp put on by friends of friends. They're doing something in the AM then a gravel ride in the PM. I'm debating whether to bring the bike or not. Went pretty steadily 'high moderate' yesterday and my legs are torqued.

M
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #23647
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,121
Only a matter of hours now until I take delivery of my Superfly 100.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #23648
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I got out yesterday after work for an out and back ride, so faced a headwind just on the way home. It wasn't too bad and I always expect some wind this time of year. It's just good to be able to get out this early and be relatively comfortable up here.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #23649
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That and pretty much everything that's not directly behind you feels like a headwind.

I had those same sidewinds pretty much the entire 4hrs i was out yesterday. Thankfully, they weren't very strong.
M
You're both right of course. It was more a side wind all the way round my loop so it sure felt like riding into a headwind.

I should just be grateful I am riding in shorts, in April, in New England.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #23650
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I should just be grateful I am riding in shorts, in April, in New England.
Temps have already hit the high 80's here. I've got a feeling that bicycling in the Summer is really gonna suck.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #23651
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Temps have already hit the high 80's here. I've got a feeling that bicycling in the Summer is really gonna suck.

We did warn ya...

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #23652
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

We did warn ya...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #23653
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,952
Quote:
Yep, we are on our fourth week in a row of 80+ degree temps here. It skipped spring and went from winter to summer. The summer of 2007 started out like this too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #23654
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Speaking as a guy who rides during the day in the summer in southern NM - get an evap cooling vest. They're $30-40 and will last for a couple of hours on a pint of water. So instead of drinking the water, then sweating it out along with all your electrolytes - just put clear water into the vest. Your body temp has to come up to an uncomfy level to start sweating, but the vest evaporates at a cool 65F. Many color options. I've had people look at me like I'm crazy and ask why I'm wearing a quilted vest in the heat - I just tell them it's my air conditioner.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #23655
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Speaking as a guy who rides during the day in the summer in southern NM - get an evap cooling vest. They're $30-40 and will last for a couple of hours on a pint of water. So instead of drinking the water, then sweating it out along with all your electrolytes - just put clear water into the vest. Your body temp has to come up to an uncomfy level to start sweating, but the vest evaporates at a cool 65F. Many color options. I've had people look at me like I'm crazy and ask why I'm wearing a quilted vest in the heat - I just tell them it's my air conditioner.

That sounds like just the thing I need! Strange that I've never seen any rider wearing one. You'd think they'd sell like hotcakes here in Florida. Where do you buy these?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: