ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #23641
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Less than two hours until the Ragnarok goes off. I'm trying to find local weather on the TV to see if I'm gonna get hailed on.

All I can find are infomercials.

I'm watching one for spinning right now.

The irony is just too much.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #23642
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Be sure to research what you rode, on the Specialized site. If you rode the FSR Expert Carbon Evo, then there's a reason it feels the way it did. It's not a ~general purpose, MTB like the XC bikes you've had. The Stumpy is laid back, which puts more weight over the rear, hence the undersprung/too hard feeling you note.
Yep, that's the model I rode. Unfortunately the sales guy I talked to previously, who owns a Stumpjumper himself, was busy with another customer, and handed me off to some girl who didn't seem to know much. I'm sure he would have told me what you did, and probably recommended a different bike.

Quote:
Your inexperience is partly to blame for the inability to bunnyhop. You're not going to be very good at it, when you're on a squishy, long-travel bike. They absorb the energy you're trying to put into the suspension. This bike is designed to go blasting over terrain; not perform BMX tricks.
I talked to a different sales guy who was honest enough to tell me that the Trek Superfly 100 was more than capable of handling even the toughest trails at Santos, and that I should probably stick with that until I get more experience under my belt. I spent part of the afternoon practicing the bunny hop, and reached the point where I could get the front wheel pretty high off the ground. The crankbrothers clipless pedals I fitted to the bike allowed me to pull up the rear wheel with my legs, but not as much as I'd hoped. I might try putting more air in the rear shock and see if that helps. I'll be attending a mountain bike class at the end of the month, so I at least want to get the basics down before then.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #23643
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I talked to a different sales guy who was honest enough to tell me that the Trek Superfly 100 was more than capable of handling even the toughest trails at Santos, and that I should probably stick with that until I get more experience under my belt.
I would agree with that.

I think when you look at the ratio of extreme versus less-technical terrain, of where you ride, you'll enjoy that Superfly much more than something like the Stumpy or Enduro. I feel like the guys that are breaking stuff, down there, are just overriding, if not abusing, what they have.

Stick with it.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #23644
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I would agree with that.

I think when you look at the ratio of extreme versus less-technical terrain, of where you ride, you'll enjoy that Superfly much more than something like the Stumpy or Enduro. I feel like the guys that are breaking stuff, down there, are just overriding, if not abusing, what they have.

Stick with it.
I'm continually amazed to see how honest the salesmen in bicycle shops have been. I'm accustomed to dealing with car and motorcycle salesmen who will tell their customers anything in order to make a sale, but the ones at the various Trek and Specialized dealerships have actually talked me out of spending money that I was fully prepared to spend. How rare is that sort of thing today?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #23645
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 886
41 mi. on the mountain bike today and I'm totally effing fried. Why is it that MTB miles seem so much more strenuous than road miles?
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #23646
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm continually amazed to see how honest the salesmen in bicycle shops have been. I'm accustomed to dealing with car and motorcycle salesmen who will tell their customers anything in order to make a sale, but the ones at the various Trek and Specialized dealerships have actually talked me out of spending money that I was fully prepared to spend. How rare is that sort of thing today?
This seems to be the case around here as well. Some shops are better than others, but as a whole they are very good in this regard.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #23647
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 1,003
So Friday I went to REI and picked up a Yepp mini child seat that mounts on the stem, REI had a 20% off coupon that was going to expire today. Yesterday I went to the LBS and bought a Trek 700, the cheapest hybrid bike they sell. Right now, Trek Fest is going on and a lot of their bikes are on sale...I couldn't help but notice though that they raised the prices, and I paid more for the bike "on sale" then I would've a few weeks ago when I first started looking. . It was still one of the cheapest I've found that had what I wanted.

I only had time to take the boy for a quick spin before I had to go to work. I need to figure out some kind of pad for the seat to raise him up a bit. The back of the seat hits his helmet and pushes it forward.

2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #23648
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,840
600k fail

Well, between the 40+ mile an hour gusts, the flat tires (2), the rain, the sleet, the ice and the occasional snow flakes, we failed to make it to the second control point before the time cutoff at the 89 mile point yesterday. The weather was simply relentless.

It was to the point where I couldn't see - my glasses were wet on both sides and trying to maintain control was tough in the wind. I watch my buddy get blown sideways by three feet!

I've ridden in mountains in bad weather in northern GA, the Smokies and even in Montana in Sept. I've never been so miserable as I was yesterday.

I think there were two riders who didn't start, one abandoned at the 25 mile point, one abandoned at the 50 mile point and as of the last report, six were left and still on the course. I wish them well!

I think we'll set our sites for a 600k in Utah next. What....you expected me to quit and take up golf?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #23649
lubes17319
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
41 mi. on the mountain bike today and I'm totally effing fried. Why is it that MTB miles seem so much more strenuous than road miles?
We came up with:
1 road mile = 2 MTB miles = 3 SS MTB miles

But when we compare smiles, it's much different:
1 smile/mile on road
10 smiles/mile on MTB
7 smiles/mile on SS MTB (cuz it hurts at times)
lubes17319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #23650
Bimble
In giro in moto
 
Bimble's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Well, between the 40+ mile an hour gusts, the flat tires (2), the rain, the sleet, the ice and the occasional snow flakes, we failed to make it to the second control point before the time cutoff at the 89 mile point yesterday. The weather was simply relentless.

It was to the point where I couldn't see - my glasses were wet on both sides and trying to maintain control was tough in the wind. I watch my buddy get blown sideways by three feet!

I've ridden in mountains in bad weather in northern GA, the Smokies and even in Montana in Sept. I've never been so miserable as I was yesterday.

I think there were two riders who didn't start, one abandoned at the 25 mile point, one abandoned at the 50 mile point and as of the last report, six were left and still on the course. I wish them well!

I think we'll set our sites for a 600k in Utah next. What....you expected me to quit and take up golf?
Ouch. That's brutal. Here's to the weather settling down before the Utah brevet.

Askel had pretty good weather yesterday for the Ragnarok. High clouds and up to 70. I dunno what the winds were like along the course, but they didn't seem too bad up here 50 miles north of the race. I'm curious to hear how he did.
__________________
Siamo tra qui e lė.
Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #23651
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
I'm curious to hear how he did.
Goddamn sunburn.

But at least I had my rain jacket, knee warmers, arm warmers, heavier gloves, and a stocking cap with me. Maybe I should have worn them for sun protection.

Par for the course otherwise. A little slower this year than last, but I attribute that to the Fargo. It can't possibly be that I'd ever slack off and drink too much beer, no way.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #23652
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

What....you expected me to quit and take up golf?
Yesterday's race started and finished at a golf course club house.

As we're sitting around in the basement of the place drinking overpriced beers, dudes in normal, non spandex trousers would ask us how our game went.

*blank stare*

I feel sorry for the folks that booked the wedding upstairs. Talk about being born over a bad star....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #23653
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,452
Has anybody ever tried Selle SMP saddles?

http://www.sellesmp.com

I really like the look of them.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #23654
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
Ouch. That's brutal. Here's to the weather settling down before the Utah brevet.
Thanks!

We're looking at a SoCal 600 in two weeks. I think we climbed more yesterday (almost a mile) than the entire SoCal 600.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #23655
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
We came up with:
1 road mile = 2 MTB miles = 3 SS MTB miles

But when we compare smiles, it's much different:
1 smile/mile on road
10 smiles/mile on MTB
7 smiles/mile on SS MTB (cuz it hurts at times)
i would rate ss smiles per mile at around 14, it is like having a huge bmx bike, and they are way quieter, it is largely a matter of the type of trail though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just had a test ride on a Specialized Stumpjumper with a carbon fiber frame. Very nice bike, and not at all twitchy like the other 26" bikes I've test ridden. The suspension felt very strange though. The rear felt undersprung while the front felt too hard, yet both were set up for a 180lb rider. I also noticed that despite it's lighter wheels, I couldn't bunny hop or wheelie it any easier than my 29" Superfly.
that would be the suspension FSR kind of "folds" more than a single pivot when you pull up on it, VPP feels very similar, on the subject of new riders on big bikes...

the rider isn't faster, the bike is. It is only a matter of time until a rough situation comes up too hot and you go through the meat grinder.

Gummee is 100% correct, learn on a hard tail 26'er and progress from there you'll be a better, faster, and safer rider for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
All those look very good, but it seems the Santa Cruz Heckler still beats them hands down in terms of price. Makes me wonder why.
less moving parts would be the main reason, no linkages, just a pure single pivot. I wouldn't describe them as bombproof, I broke on of the new designs in less than half a season. They warranted it, but I just flipped it and moved on... maybe I got a bad one.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.


VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 07:26 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015