Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #23656
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Has anybody ever tried Selle SMP saddles?

http://www.sellesmp.com

I really like the look of them.

I like mine enough that I sold the Brooks it replaced. Be sure to set it up according to thier instructions approx 3 degrees nose down.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #23657
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
on the subject of new riders on big bikes...

the rider isn't faster, the bike is. It is only a matter of time until a rough situation comes up too hot and you go through the meat grinder.
Not as true at my age as it once was. I don't take any chances these days. Whenever I encounter a new trail, I typically do a couple of passes at a moderate speed to familiarize myself with it. Only when I've reached the point where I've memorized the entire trail do I pick up the pace. Big difference between me and the young riders I see; their sheer stupidity and recklessness almost defies description.

Quote:
Gummee is 100% correct, learn on a hard tail 26'er and progress from there you'll be a better, faster, and safer rider for it.
Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I took the Superfly out on my favorite local trail. It easily qualifies as an 'Intermediate' level trail, with lots of big roots and rocks and a few steep climbs. I had both front and rear shocks in the locked position, so that they provided no cushioning effect at all. Contrary to my expectations, it was just as easy to ride the trail fast without suspension as it was before - the main difference being one of comfort. Maybe you don't need all this fancy technology after all.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #23658
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Not as true at my age as it once was. I don't take any chances these days. Whenever I encounter a new trail, I typically do a couple of passes at a moderate speed to familiarize myself with it. Only when I've reached the point where I've memorized the entire trail do I pick up the pace. Big difference between me and the young riders I see; their sheer stupidity and recklessness almost defies description.
Very well, carry on then! You're right though, watching someone who learned on a big bike and has little concept of bike handling or risk management just toss themselves around is scary to see.

Now watching someone who learned on a BMX or MTB dirt jumper and progressed to the big bike getting sideways on some huge gap and bringing it back is poetry in motion. Usually those riders could do the same thing on almost any bike clipped in or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Maybe you don't need all this fancy technology after all.
Funny story, about 5 years ago I was pursuing a pro license for gravity racing and had a well kitted Intense Socom as race bike and a well kitted Specialized enduro as a trail bike. I met a group of riders from Arizona through the team I was on and they all had ragged out DH bikes and rode SS 26'er hard tails as trail bikes. The first time out with one of them I expected it to be an easy ride on account of machinery differences. Boy was I wrong, on the uphills I was working much harder and on the downhills I was faster through the really rough stuff but everywhere else it was a wash. On a DH rig they were just as fast as I was.

I went another season of gravity racing and burnt out, now a dirt bike and a SS hardtail are all I have and I wouldn't want it any other way. Of course, now I live with those assholes from AZ and two are higher ups at the Trek/Scott/Pivot/Kona/Yeti dealer so I get to ride interesting things from time to time just to remind myself why I like my big BMX bike more than the fancy boy stuff at the top of the line up. Bicycle culture is a funny thing.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #23659
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:

I've been demo-ing this one and like it better than the rest. However, I'm not sure I can stand it for the 3 State century. Hopefully, the LBS still has the cushy gel tender-arse demo saddle I used last year. Thanks for the reminder.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #23660
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
I met a group of riders from Arizona through the team I was on and they all had ragged out DH bikes and rode SS 26'er hard tails as trail bikes. The first time out with one of them I expected it to be an easy ride on account of machinery differences. Boy was I wrong, on the uphills I was working much harder and on the downhills I was faster through the really rough stuff but everywhere else it was a wash. On a DH rig they were just as fast as I was.
Its not the guys on the shiny bikes ya gotta watch for. Its the ones on the beat up old stuff. They're out riding while shiny bikes are hanging in the garage.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I have enough bikes that none of em are truly ridden to death, but I ride darn near every day. (that and I'm a mechanic, things gotta be clean, quiet, and well lubed!)

M
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #23661
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
I recently got into MB trail riding just as a fun way to stay in shape and to help cross train for my off road motorcycle riding. I have really enjoyed it. I recently picked up this Ellsworth (used). I really like it so far--I have about 150 miles on it. It has a White Brothers Loop fork on it which works well for me. At 6' 4", this bike fits me really well, it's Ellsworth's XL frame.

I've never seen another one around here, don't know what the general consensus is on Ellsworth bikes, but really like the way mine rides. Here's a picture from yesterday on our local singletrack. I live in West Texas, and in the canyons where most of the trails are, the terrain ranges to hard-packed and fast to rocky/cobby with short but steep up and down hills.

Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #23662
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Very well, carry on then! You're right though, watching someone who learned on a big bike and has little concept of bike handling or risk management just toss themselves around is scary to see.
On Sunday I went to the trails at Chuck Lennon state park. It didn't look that bad in the videos I'd seen, but those can be very deceptive when it comes to accurately portraying huge elevation changes. The first part of the trail was scary. I'd never seen hills that steep, and if you didn't have enough momentum on the uphill climbs, you'd end up falling all the way down. Despite the obvious danger, there were all kinds of n00bs out there causing a hazard not only to themselves, but even to the others who knew what they were doing. Predictably it turned into a crash fest, and after about ten minutes of it, I'd had enough and left.

Quote:
Funny story, about 5 years ago I was pursuing a pro license for gravity racing and had a well kitted Intense Socom as race bike and a well kitted Specialized enduro as a trail bike. I met a group of riders from Arizona through the team I was on and they all had ragged out DH bikes and rode SS 26'er hard tails as trail bikes. The first time out with one of them I expected it to be an easy ride on account of machinery differences. Boy was I wrong, on the uphills I was working much harder and on the downhills I was faster through the really rough stuff but everywhere else it was a wash. On a DH rig they were just as fast as I was.

I went another season of gravity racing and burnt out, now a dirt bike and a SS hardtail are all I have and I wouldn't want it any other way. Of course, now I live with those assholes from AZ and two are higher ups at the Trek/Scott/Pivot/Kona/Yeti dealer so I get to ride interesting things from time to time just to remind myself why I like my big BMX bike more than the fancy boy stuff at the top of the line up. Bicycle culture is a funny thing.
The last time I was up at Santos, I met an instructor who was nice enough to take pity on me and show me the ropes. He rode some clapped out old bike that he'd built himself from various parts. It was a tank that weighed 40 lbs. I had no doubt he'd kick my ass in the technical stuff, but I thought I'd be able to stay with him on the 'beginner' trails, which I can go very fast on. It didn't turn out that way. Somehow he managed to wrestle that pig of a bike through there like it was weightless, even getting it airborne in places. But the biggest shocker of the day was seeing a pro-racer on his HT who could outpace the instructor as easily as he'd outpaced me. I don't remember his name, but I was told that he held the record at Santos for the fastest loop through all the sections. And he did it on an HT.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #23663
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Well, between the 40+ mile an hour gusts, the flat tires (2), the rain, the sleet, the ice and the occasional snow flakes, we failed to make it to the second control point before the time cutoff at the 89 mile point yesterday. The weather was simply relentless.
At least you tried.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #23664
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:

I'm on my second Extra. Had the first for about 2000mi, then noticed that I'd bent the rails a bit, so I replaced it and have been on the replacement for six months. It's not bad, but I think it's a bit over-padded.

I haven't found the perfect seat yet, but as long I don't skip too many weekends riding, the Selle SMP seems to stay pretty comfy for the short rides I do most of the time. (30-50mi)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #23665
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
I finally got a Go Pro so here is a few videos I have made in the past week.

My first go

Crashing in Sundays race

Me going backwards from the start

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #23666
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Went on a gravel road ride yesterday. Well... as much gravel as I get around here anyway. 4 stretches of gravel road in an hour and a half.

The third one got interesting cause I didn't *quite* have enough air in the rear tire. No flats tho.

...its raining today. Probably no riding. Oh well.

M
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #23667
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Got my ass kicked on my favorite trail yesterday by some dude on an old and battered hard tail.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #23668
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I finally got a Go Pro so here is a few videos I have made in the past week.
Love those kinds of videos. I wish more people would post 'em here.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #23669
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I'm on my second Extra. Had the first for about 2000mi, then noticed that I'd bent the rails a bit, so I replaced it and have been on the replacement for six months. It's not bad, but I think it's a bit over-padded.

I haven't found the perfect seat yet, but as long I don't skip too many weekends riding, the Selle SMP seems to stay pretty comfy for the short rides I do most of the time. (30-50mi)
There is a reason why the rails and or shell bend ... It could be caused by an anatomical and more often a functional leg length discrepancy due to a variety of reasons. SMP's are great, but saddles are like shoes, you must try them before you buy them. When I am at clients homes doing fittings I bring about 30 saddles with me for them to try!
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 AM   #23670
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:

If you are in NorCal I have their whole demo set that you can try!
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: