Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #23656
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That sounds like just the thing I need! Strange that I've never seen any rider wearing one. You'd think they'd sell like hotcakes here in Florida. Where do you buy these?
Just like a swamp cooler, these don't work as well in high humidity. That's probably why you don't see them in FL.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #23657
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,933
Bicycle Corps: America's Black Army on Wheels

The story of the 25th Infantry's bicycle trip from Montana to Missouri in 1897:

Linky - amazing stuff
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #23658
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Temps have already hit the high 80's here. I've got a feeling that bicycling in the Summer is really gonna suck.
But it's a dry he--

Oh wait. Nevermind.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #23659
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,358
Quote:
Temps have already hit the high 80's here. I've got a feeling that bicycling in the Summer is really gonna suck.

Yeah, that's when I'd be thinking road bike if anything at all. Mountain biking in the South in the summer is teh suck. Actually I found mountain biking in the South the suck anyway...trails are always wet (if you can find one open). And if they're not wet, it's too hot.

I'm pretty sure if I lived in Florida for very long, I'd sell my motorcycles and probably my bicycles and get another sea kayak. And maybe a motor boat. Bicycles? nuh-uh. Maybe in the Winter, but Flurduh ain't got no hills mang!

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #23660
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
Bring me the heat. I was raised in the land of plastic seat sweat, baby!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #23661
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Yeah, that's when I'd be thinking road bike if anything at all. Mountain biking in the South in the summer is teh suck. Actually I found mountain biking in the South the suck anyway...trails are always wet (if you can find one open). And if they're not wet, it's too hot.
I've been riding on cool, dry trails for months. You must have been in the wrong part of the South.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if I lived in Florida for very long, I'd sell my motorcycles and probably my bicycles and get another sea kayak. And maybe a motor boat. Bicycles? nuh-uh. Maybe in the Winter, but Flurduh ain't got no hills mang!
Having lived in hilly territory (NY & RI) for decades, I'll take relatively flat roads any day. All I ever got from riding those steep hills was constant oxygen debt and lactic acid burn, turning what would have been a pleasurable activity into an ordeal. And you can keep your hellish Winters, too.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #23662
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,358
Quote:
And you can keep your hellish Winters, too.

You forgot the wind...gusting to about 50 today. It was gusting close to 90 not so long ago

And here we go with another wildfire

Summer makes it all worth it though.

Yer new ride show up yet?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #23663
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
You forgot the wind...gusting to about 50 today. It was gusting close to 90 not so long ago

And here we go with another wildfire

Summer makes it all worth it though.

Yer new ride show up yet?
Yep. Just in from test riding it around in the back yard.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #23664
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,803
Help a bicycle idiot out

I bought another Amp Research bicycle yesterday (pics later). It needs all new cables.

• Don't mind buying a proper cable sheath cutter.
  • Don't mind buying a crimping tool if necessary.
  • Don't care if I spend $100 on cables.

What is the ticket for really premium cables? An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.

The boots and most of the miscellaneous hardware is reusable but, the rear brake cable is so frayed, it's almost broken . The bike has Shimano XT shifters (if that makes any difference) and cable operated disk brakes that terminate like this (cable actuated, hydraulic caliper):
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #23665
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
I bought another Amp Research bicycle yesterday (pics later). It needs all new cables.

• Don't mind buying a proper cable sheath cutter.
  • Don't mind buying a crimping tool if necessary.
  • Don't care if I spend $100 on cables.

What is the ticket for really premium cables? An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.

The boots and most of the miscellaneous hardware is reusable but, the rear brake cable is so frayed, it's almost broken . The bike has Shimano XT shifters (if that makes any difference) and cable operated disk brakes that terminate like this (cable actuated, hydraulic caliper):
Go to the best source: http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Also, most decent cable housings are polyethylene lined and very slick - so much that I find it better to not lube them and avoid dirt contamination. Jagwire has the cool appearance thing covered.

You want more bling? Nokon (in article) is that. For a sealed system, go to Gore Ride-On cable kits. They're just basic black, but they will keep out wet crud well.

Fancy ferrules for the ends? How 'bout ano aluminum? http://www.purelycustom.com/c-84-cab...-ferrules.aspx I don't know of any other fancy ones, but they're probably out there.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #23666
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
I put jagwire on my new racing bike. I like jagwire.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #23667
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Having lived in hilly territory (NY & RI) for decades, I'll take relatively flat roads any day. All I ever got from riding those steep hills was constant oxygen debt and lactic acid burn, turning what would have been a pleasurable activity into an ordeal.
Man, hills are most of why I ride. I don't always love the climbs, but often I do, and I'm always willing to pay the price for the sense of accomplishment (and hopefully a good view) at the top, and a fun rollercoaster descent (paved or dirt).

I just did 37 miles through the Santa Cruz mountains. About 4500 feet of climbing. I hit my highest point of elevation at mile 17. Most of the remaining 20 miles was spent carving my way down these beautifully engineered twisties at moto speeds, grinning and giggling like an idiot. This place is going to turn me into a roadie.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #23668
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.

AFA slick, Gore cables.

AFA fancy ferrules, the Gore stuff comes with AL ferrules. That's about as fancy as it gets.

Me? I was running sag all weekend for a training camp. Not much riding went on. ...BUT I did find a few more roads that are good riding roads. IDK if there's a Skymass loop in mapmyride.com but the only day I wasn't jealous was that ride. I'll probably still end up doing it just to say I've done it. In short: up Skyline Dr. down 211 up and over ?Masanutten mtn? and back down, rolly back to Front Royal. 82mi on the day. Ugh. Masanutten Mtn reminded me of the hills around Blacksburg. Steep AND long.

M
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #23669
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Also, most decent cable housings are polyethylene lined and very slick - so much that I find it better to not lube them and avoid dirt contamination. Jagwire has the cool appearance thing covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I put jagwire on my new racing bike. I like jagwire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.
Good tips, guys. That gives me some places to read-up and learn. I'm going to tear the bike down the frame, inspect, lube and polish everything and build it back up right.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #23670
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post

You want more bling? Nokon (in article) is that. For a sealed system, go to Gore Ride-On cable kits. They're just basic black, but they will keep out wet crud well.

Fancy ferrules for the ends? How 'bout ano aluminum? http://www.purelycustom.com/c-84-cab...-ferrules.aspx I don't know of any other fancy ones, but they're probably out there.
Is this "Wadesta" who races in Tx sometimes?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: