Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #23686
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That is one looooong commute on a bicycle. Made me quite nervous as I was watching it because I kept thinking of how many times you would have been run over if those had been Florida drivers.
That same 15 miles takes me about 35 minutes by motorcycle and about 1:05 in my truck. That construction zone I went through has really jacked things up.

Most of the drivers are pretty cool. I've seen quite a few phone drunks, but never had anyone that I thought was actually aggressive. (knock on wood)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #23687
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
That same 15 miles takes me about 35 minutes by motorcycle and about 1:05 in my truck. That construction zone I went through has really jacked things up.

Most of the drivers are pretty cool. I've seen quite a few phone drunks, but never had anyone that I thought was actually aggressive. (knock on wood)
We seem to have the worst of both worlds: drivers who are both incompetent AND aggressive. The trails aren't much safer. Last week two high school kids were shot to death on a local bicycle trail and set on fire. Sometimes I really miss living in a hick town in upstate NY.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #23688
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
We seem to have the worst of both worlds: drivers who are both incompetent AND aggressive. The trails aren't much safer. Last week two high school kids were shot to death on a local bicycle trail and set on fire. Sometimes I really miss living in a hick town in upstate NY.

There has to be more to that story...

We had some thugs that were jacking single riders on the Bollona Creek bike path a few years ago, but it seems to have been cleaned up more recently. I've never ridden that part of what passes for a bike path system in LA.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #23689
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

There has to be more to that story...

We had some thugs that were jacking single riders on the Bollona Creek bike path a few years ago, but it seems to have been cleaned up more recently. I've never ridden that part of what passes for a bike path system in LA.
According to yesterday's news report, the two kids killed had some involvement in the drug trade. No idea why they were killed on a popular bicycle trail instead of some more remote location, but the incident has predictably alarmed riders who use it. I don't know whether this is even related to the recent murders, but according to one of the salespeople at a local Trek store, some customers have asked where one might store a gun on a bicycle.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #23690
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
We got out for 55 miles today, which included the Saturday Killer Hills, plus a few more for good measure. Man, CT is beautiful this time of year! Sunny and 67.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #23691
Scurley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Yesterday I had the opportunity of adding this Trek Jack 3 to my stable. Of course, I took it. It needs a little tuneup, but overall I've got to say it's in perfect condition. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the heck to do with it.

I've been putting down somewhere around 150 miles a week for the last few months on the road bikes, and it's been great. It only takes 19-20 minutes to make the 6 miles into work and, of course, a little more than double that to make the 11.5 mile ride to school. Anyway, after the mountain bike was dropped off at my office yesterday, I thought it would be a good idea to test it out by riding it home. After about an hour and a half (only 1hr 10mins longer than the road bike) I finally got home and wondered why the hell I bought the damn thing. It's obviously really, really slow. We don't have mountains here, or anything larger than the manmade levee hills, so there's not much off-roading I can do unless I just ride on folks' lawns. Even if I shipped it home to CA, where there's mountain biking galore, the frame geometry doesn't seem to lend itself to longer rides, which is almost all I do.

Did I just buy an oversized BMX bike?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #23692
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Today's ride. I managed to forget my shoes at home, so I started about 30 min. behind the group. I never did catch up and ran up the white flag once I climbed into Shingletown. The full ride came in at around 98 mi.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #23693
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,459
Lately, my Sirrus has been seeing some off-road action. Mainly light trail duty with a few minor technical areas (occasionally I have to hop a log). I'm a little at having to use my stock road tires for this terrain ever since the first embankment I nearly slid down. Plus, it's good rehearsal to do some rail-trail touring later this summer or fall.

So I'm thinking of getting some cyclocross tires to put on there. Trouble is, I know jack over squat about 'cross tires. Anybody got any recommendations?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #23694
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
So I'm thinking of getting some cyclocross tires to put on there. Trouble is, I know jack over squat about 'cross tires. Anybody got any recommendations?
I don't think you have the clearance to run more than a 30mm tire. I looked at a Sirrus, before I bought my Tricross. If that's the case, you're going to be limited. 'cross tires are soft compound and won't last on pavement. You may consider these in a 28mm (I'm postitive a 32mm won't fit a Sirrus). They don't look like much in the pic, but, the tread is actually fairly deep and aggressive.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #23695
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Sweet, thanks for the rec! Anybody else?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #23696
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

Are you still doing any major road miles? Pavement will chew up any true cyclocross tire pretty damn quick...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #23697
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Define 'major', and for Baltimore purposes, define 'pavement'. Seriously, sometimes it's like riding offroad around here.

I'm not using the Sirrus for long rides, but it is getting the bejeezus flogged out of it on short high-speed urban runs.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #23698
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,357
Aidan gets his first National BMX win.

The young stud to his right, is his Pro BMX Coach.

What a weekend.............
Old 04-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #23699
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

The young stud to his right, is his Pro BMX Coach.

What a weekend.............
Say WHA??? Killin' it!!!
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #23700
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 8,331
Bit of advice desired, folks.

This spring I bought a Marin Four Corners steel frame touring bike. Sweet ride, especially compared to the mountain bikes I have been on for 20 years. Started my bicycle commute to work over low rolling terrain a few weeks ago and am loving it. 12 miles each way with total ascent of about 700 feet, minimum three times per week. Thus far I have about 200 miles on the bike and I'm loving getting back into more serious bicycling again.

I am maintaining around 12 miles per hour. Further increase in speed is probably hard to achieve mainly because the bike paths in Helsinki are so heavily used (bike and pedestrians) that trying to run fast gets dangerous. Still, there are a few sections where I sense I could increase speed to 15+, and that's where my question comes in.

My issue seems to be cadence and stamina. Obviously this will become easier as I get back into shape, but I feel like I am commonly either in too high a gear, with correspondingly too low cadence...or too low a gear and excessive cadence. I tend to pedal slower than many friends, but still. Thus far I have been staying in the middle chain ring and running through the 9 gears there during conditioning...this was recommended to me by a friend more seriously into riding, for the first season (about).

So, the question is: are there some ballpark cadence figures for rides of this type? About how many cycles per minute is a common medium-intensity ride? And is there a common wisdom about upshifting...or is that just down to personal comfort?
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: