Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #23686
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
This looks pretty sweet!

http://vimeo.com/37744449

Here is my attempt at embeding vimeo:

Reveal the Path Trailer from Mike Dion on Vimeo.

mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #23687
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Wasn't super impressed with his last one- "Ride The Divide". I think the trailers were better than the movie itself.

But I'm a complete sucker for the subject matter of these movies, so it's still a worthwhile experience.

Made a tour out of going to see "Ride The Divide": http://www.bialas.org/blog/2010/07/a...e-to-tour.html

Contemplating doing the same for the MSP or Madison showing....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #23688
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Riding with kids??

Questions for the collective:

I'm looking for a way to take my (now) 14 month old boy on rides wtih me this year. I'm leaning towards picking up a cheapish hybrid bike and one of those stem mounted seats. How long do you think can I reasonably expect the boy to stay comfortable/entertained. A trailer would seem more suited for longer rides. I suppose I will probably end up getting both...using the seat for short hops, and the trailer for longer rides. If anyone has any insight about riding with kids, I'd be glad to hear it.

On a side note, I've been going to indoor cycling classes all winter and my legs are feeling pretty good. I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...The classes are short though, so I don't have a lot of endurance on the bike. My shoulders, arms and back start to get tired before my legs do.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #23689
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...
I think you have other problems rather than too much torque.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #23690
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,348
Quote:
Questions for the collective:

I'm looking for a way to take my (now) 14 month old boy on rides wtih me this year. I'm leaning towards picking up a cheapish hybrid bike and one of those stem mounted seats. How long do you think can I reasonably expect the boy to stay comfortable/entertained. A trailer would seem more suited for longer rides. I suppose I will probably end up getting both...using the seat for short hops, and the trailer for longer rides. If anyone has any insight about riding with kids, I'd be glad to hear it.

On a side note, I've been going to indoor cycling classes all winter and my legs are feeling pretty good. I took the Vaya out for a ride Sunday, and when I would stand on steeper climbs, the bike would flex enough to make the chain skip all over the place on the cassette...The classes are short though, so I don't have a lot of endurance on the bike. My shoulders, arms and back start to get tired before my legs do.
When our daughter was younger (she is now five and bikes short distances herself) we had a simple, old style rear rack mounted seat we share between two cruiser bikes. We got one with a quick release attachment point on the frame so one seat would do for two bikes. Started when she was about 16 months, and just built her up over time starting with short city rides. Major downside is that when the seat is mounted it is nearly impossible to get pannier bags mounted. Thus if you have a front cargo rack it is useful.

If you can ride in tandem with another cyclist (your wife) they can stay in view of the child which usually helps keep them patient.

I finally added a new Marin Four Corners to the stable and did my first commute ride today. For the first time since college ended I will go to work by bike, 20 miles round trip, for the year. Damn I need the exercise. Felt very good and takes one hour each way, same time as public transit and only 25 minute slower than the motorcycle.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #23691
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I haven't ruled that out either, but it would only skip when I was standing on climbs ...anyone know how to adjust the SRAM rear deraileurs? With the Ultegra on my road bike I'd just have to set the outermost points and the indexing would take care of itself. I never had to mess with the barrel adjusters or anything. Is SRAM the same?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #23692
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
When our daughter was younger (she is now five and bikes short distances herself) we had a simple, old style rear rack mounted seat we share between two cruiser bikes. We got one with a quick release attachment point on the frame so one seat would do for two bikes. Started when she was about 16 months, and just built her up over time starting with short city rides. Major downside is that when the seat is mounted it is nearly impossible to get pannier bags mounted. Thus if you have a front cargo rack it is useful.

If you can ride in tandem with another cyclist (your wife) they can stay in view of the child which usually helps keep them patient.

I finally added a new Marin Four Corners to the stable and did my first commute ride today. For the first time since college ended I will go to work by bike, 20 miles round trip, for the year. Damn I need the exercise. Felt very good and takes one hour each way, same time as public transit and only 25 minute slower than the motorcycle.
I think the stem mounted seats look like they'd be better because the child is right there with you so you can talk to them, etc. Getting my wife on a bike is project #2...for later this summer.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #23693
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
I haven't ruled that out either, but it would only skip when I was standing on climbs ...anyone know how to adjust the SRAM rear deraileurs? With the Ultegra on my road bike I'd just have to set the outermost points and the indexing would take care of itself. I never had to mess with the barrel adjusters or anything. Is SRAM the same?
Pretty much works the same as Shimano. You need to mess with the barrell adjuster to make the indexing on the shifters line up with where the shift points actually are.

Of course, there's a whole host of other things that could be wrong/bent too, but that's probably the best place to start.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #23694
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Don't do it man. It'll ruin your life.

You'll go out for a quick training ride and then 10 hours later find yourself bushwhacking through a valley to find a road that existed on a 1950s era topo map.

Racks and frame bag on the way. Looking forward to some multi-day benders soon.
I took one for a spin at my LBS...... I was very close too buying it. I will get some cash here in the near future, it is on my short list for sure.

An easy way to NOT buy a bike when test riding. Don't bring ANY form of money!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #23695
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty much works the same as Shimano. You need to mess with the barrell adjuster to make the indexing on the shifters line up with where the shift points actually are.

Of course, there's a whole host of other things that could be wrong/bent too, but that's probably the best place to start.
I still like to think it's my tree trunk like quads, but I'll try to adjust it and see how it works then.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #23696
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
I still like to think it's my tree trunk like quads, but I'll try to adjust it and see how it works then.
downshift into a lower gear, and spin, don't mash.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #23697
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
An Ebay search netted Jagwire brand kits. They seem to look OK but don't talk about much other than colors. Not sure if there are some better lined cables (lower friction) or something that uses prestretched center wire. Maybe better ferrules--cast or machined instead of sheet metal? Stainless wire? I've noticed that shifters and brakes now use different sheaths (compressionless for the shifters). I can't imagine that guys are running $10 cable sets on $5K bicycles.
VVV Exactly what "Gummee!" said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For braking, not much is better than Yokozuna Reaction cables. Basically they're spiral wound like shifter cables so they don't compress.

AFA slick, Gore cables.

AFA fancy ferrules, the Gore stuff comes with AL ferrules. That's about as fancy as it gets.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #23698
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got the Fargo done this weekend.
Geez! I hadn't realized or missed that you bought one. Well, given our previous tire size discussion, I admit I've been considering one. I'm going to do the Gravel Metric, in Dekalb, IL. They stock 'em and thought I'd take a closer look, while I'm up there. In the meantime, I'm going to give a set of 42mm a shot. Can't decide between TourRide (<< leaniing toward) or Country Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
So after having gotten acquainted with the bike on a local trail, I decided to drive up to Ocala to ride the trails at Santos. The first time I was up there a few weeks ago, I stayed on the easy yellow trails, parts of which I thought were a bit challenging. This time around, they were ridiculously easy.
That bike is spoiling you!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #23699
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wasn't super impressed with his last one- "Ride The Divide". I think the trailers were better than the movie itself.

But I'm a complete sucker for the subject matter of these movies, so it's still a worthwhile experience.
I agree, on both accounts.

Quote:
Get a trailer. They're much safer than any bike-mounted carrier. A trailer fully encloses them with framework and they're strapped in with a harness. No matter what happens to you in a crash, they're safe inside. With a carrier and you crash, your child gets slammed to the ground. They have zero protection. No, trailers aren't cheap. But, they're an investment in your child's safety. I chose a Chariot Cougar, for my granddaughter, as I feel they're the best in the business.

Quote:
Agreed.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #23700
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,318
So what is it with jerseys?

I've been riding for a long time - never bought a jersey. Never really could justify the cost. Never seen many under a Benjamin.

Then there's the logo thing. Seems to me stuff would be cheaper with logos plastered all over it, but nope...it's more. Never could justify paying more for logos.

I've found light base layer material the awesome for cycling. But a regular ol cotton t-shirt ain't that bad most nice days.

So what gives? Why the premium for logo-laden cycle-specific garb?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: