Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #23716
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,153
Question Gimme some suggestions

If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #23717
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,112
Love my Santa Cruz Heckler. Friend bought a DiamondBack Mission 2 ( I think it's a Mission 2 might be Mission 1) and has had zero issues with it.

I had my front master cylinder start to leak but was replaced with upgraded Avids by Competitive Cyclist free of charge. Also had my headset munch itself, was told this happened because it was lacking grease. No issues since.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #23718
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?

Here are some bikes that are the shit in one way or another....

Tomac Vanish
DeVinci Dixon
Santa Cruz Butcher
Intense tracer 2
Cove G spot

I will post more as I remember.

Be sure to check out the 140mm bikes as well.

mud screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 09:16 AM
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #23719
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Love my Santa Cruz Heckler. Friend bought a DiamondBack Mission 2 ( I think it's a Mission 2 might be Mission 1) and has had zero issues with it.
Just read some sterling reviews of the Heckler. Not only do they describe it as 'bombproof', but the price is extremely competitive as well. No wonder it gets perfect marks for 'value'. Wish I knew of a Santa Cruz dealer in my area so I could try one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #23720
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Just read some sterling reviews of the Heckler. Not only do they describe it as 'bombproof', but the price is extremely competitive as well. No wonder it gets perfect marks for 'value'. Wish I knew of a Santa Cruz dealer in my area so I could try one.
Wait, didn't you just buy a new mountain bike ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #23721
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Here are some bikes that are the shit in one way or another....

Tomac Vanish
DeVinci Dixon
Santa Cruz Butcher
Intense tracer 2
Cove G spot

I will post more as I remember.

Be sure to check out the 140mm bikes as well.
All those look very good, but it seems the Santa Cruz Heckler still beats them hands down in terms of price. Makes me wonder why.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #23722
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Wait, didn't you just buy a new mountain bike ?
Yabbut, it's for a different purpose. I rode one of the 'Experts Only' trails last weekend on a borrowed bike with 7 inches of suspension travel. I was doing four foot drops and bouncing down steep rocky hills like it was nothing. The Trek salesman told me that if I tried that on my Superfly 100, I'd break the carbon fiber frame and void the warranty.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #23723
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
All those look very good, but it seems the Santa Cruz Heckler still beats them hands down in terms of price. Makes me wonder why.
I don't know why the Heckler is cheaper than the Vanish or the Butcher. BUT, all the others I listed are domestic (or Canadian). Santa Cruz and Tomac and over seas bikes and the price shows.

The Heckler is a SOLID bike! My brother has an old one, still a great bike.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #23724
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Yabbut, it's for a different purpose. I rode one of the 'Experts Only' trails last weekend on a borrowed bike with 7 inches of suspension travel. I was doing four foot drops and bouncing down steep rocky hills like it was nothing. The Trek salesman told me that if I tried that on my Superfly 100, I'd break the carbon fiber frame and void the warranty.

I have a couple of seasons on a Fuel EX8 that I've ridden on just about every type of trail we have here in the midwest. Granted it's not a 7 inch travel monster (120mm front/rear) but it pedals really well, isn't carbon and can soak up everything I've thrown at it with suspention that feels bottomless when you're in rough stuff.
For the money I think it's a great bike.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #23725
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I have a couple of seasons on a Fuel EX8 that I've ridden on just about every type of trail we have here in the midwest. Granted it's not a 7 inch travel monster (120mm front/rear) but it pedals really well, isn't carbon and can soak up everything I've thrown at it with suspention that feels bottomless when you're in rough stuff.
For the money I think it's a great bike.
I may take a test ride on one, but Treks seem a bit pricey compared to the competition.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #23726
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I may take a test ride on one, but Treks seem a bit pricey compared to the competition.
How much buck for your bang are you looking for?
Complete bike?
Frameset?

Transition Covert
Knolly Chilcotin
Knolly Endorphin
Banshee Spitfire

These are just some really good bikes and frames that you don't find everday. Be sure to check out Specialized as well, they have a really strong lineup in the bike you are looking for. Giant also....
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #23727
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:

Make sure when you are looking at this type of bike you get to ride it well, not just around the parking lot). You are getting into the range of bikes that don't really like to go up hills with this much travel... They have gotten better over the years, but some still only want to go down. It's all relative though.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #23728
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How much buck for your bang are you looking for?
Complete bike?
Frameset?
I'm more interested in a complete bike. I don't know enough about these to build my own from parts.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #23729
mud
I just wander.....

More, mainstream, but no less impressive.

Giant Reign
Specialized Enduro

I think I am done for a little while. The two above are really great bikes. Rave reviews!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #23730
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
More, mainstream, but no less impressive.

Giant Reign
Specialized Enduro

I think I am done for a little while. The two above are really great bikes. Rave reviews!
Holy cow, at last! Specialized actually has a dealership near me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: