User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 152 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #23731
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,471
When it all comes together, bliss could be defined as hammering UPhill at the end of a 40 minute intervals ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #23732
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Cyclingnews has a photo spread on some of the support vehicles used in Paris-Roubaix.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...-paris-roubaix

I'm gonna put in an application with Mavic to be this guy;

Quote:
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #23733
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'm gonna put in an application with Mavic to be this guy"
I dunno man, riding two up, at low speed, in those conditions, with a bunch of crazy bicyclists around you. Not for me.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #23734
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Make sure when you are looking at this type of bike you get to ride it well, not just around the parking lot). You are getting into the range of bikes that don't really like to go up hills with this much travel... They have gotten better over the years, but some still only want to go down. It's all relative though.
Sage advice... except for the fact that Aurelius lives in FL.:loll My 2 cents to him would be to get up to speed on his current ride and work on his skill set before graduating to a long travel bike. A fancy high dollar bike won't make him a better rider. There are lots of folks around here who have spent thousands of bucks only to find out they're still slow.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #23735
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I'm about to throw down for my first cross bike. It will mostly be a gravel grinder and shitty back road bike. I'm thinking the caadx with 105 will work. I get 25% off on cannondales. I already have wheels, so I could sell the take-offs as new and come in well under $2k. Sure, I don't need it, but the cross movement has made it to Tx.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #23736
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sage advice... except for the fact that Aurelius lives in FL.:loll My 2 cents to him would be to get up to speed on his current ride and work on his skill set before graduating to a long travel bike. A fancy high dollar bike won't make him a better rider. There are lots of folks around here who have spent thousands of bucks only to find out they're still slow.
But I'm not slow - anymore. The first time I rode at Santos about a month ago, I was easily the slowest rider out there (except for a few kids ). Last weekend I was one of the fastest riders on those very same trails, and a lot of that has to do with how much better my FS copes rocks and roots compared to my HT. Because of that, I can fly through those trails at much higher speeds than before without any fear of crashing. The only trails at Santos that are still difficult for me today are the 'expert only' Red trails. And just as before, having a different bike would make an enormous difference there. How do I know this? Because I did back to back runs on my Superfly and on a bike I borrowed from an instructor which was equipped with massive forks and 7 inches of suspension travel. His bike would glide over huge rocks as easily as my Superfly would go over a 2x4. It was absolutely unstoppable. Instead of having to pick my lines carefully through or around obstacles, I just plowed right over them at full speed.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #23737
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
I'm about to throw down for my first cross bike. It will mostly be a gravel grinder and shitty back road bike. I'm thinking the caadx with 105 will work. I get 25% off on cannondales. I already have wheels, so I could sell the take-offs as new and come in well under $2k. Sure, I don't need it, but the cross movement has made it to Tx.
Cross is probably the hardest thing I've ever done on two wheels. Most fun too!

Aurelius: faster does not equal better rider. All this means is you've paid more for the bike than someone else. Break out that HT again and get fast on that, THEN go bashing over stuff with no regard to lines, smoothness, and finesse. Learn the right way before you take short-cuts.

Yeah, I'm a retro-grouch that learned to ride off-road when there was no such thing as suspension.

M
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #23738
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I dunno man, riding two up, at low speed, in those conditions, with a bunch of crazy bicyclists around you. Not for me.
Riding a flat (although bumpy) Paris-Roubaix for 160 miles, 30 of which are cobblestones, on a dirt moto wouldn't be so bad except that the trip takes 6 hours because you only average 25-27mph.

To me, the real badasses are the guys who keep up with/ahead of pro cyclists on some of the mountain descents. 60mph, in the rain, on rough roads, switchbacks and sweepers, with a pillion who's carrying a camera and standing up or leaning off the bike to get those artsy shots.

Here's some good moto footage from the 2011 Tour of Switzerland, stage 3 into Grindelwald.

Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #23739
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sage advice... except for the fact that Aurelius lives in FL.:loll
Have you ever ridden any of the trail systems in Florida ? You would be suprised at the elevation changes. And pedaling uphill in sugar sand isn't easy. We have no mountains but that doesn't mean the trails are flat. Many were built in old phosphate mines.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #23740
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Have you ever ridden any of the trail systems in Florida ? You would be suprised at the elevation changes. And pedaling uphill in sugar sand isn't easy. We have no mountains but that doesn't mean the trails are flat. Many were built in old phosphate mines.
Nope to the riding in FL. I have ridden uphill sand sections during the 24 Hours of Moab race several years ago. That was interesting in the dark. Lesson from that race? I found that carrying the bike was faster than pedaling, so I'd rather carry a 28lb XC bike than a 38lb DH bike.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #23741
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
If I were in the market for a mountain bike tough enough for just about any type of terrain, jumps, climbing, etc., what are the current options? In the Trek brand, the 'Slash' model probably comes closest to what I have in mind (full suspension, massive forks, 6.5" suspension travel), but what others are there?
While in the aforementioned Greenway Bike Shop, I got to talking to an older dude with a Specialized Enduro. He said it was the only bike he hasn't been able to break. They get great reviews in all the magazines. As mentioned, the Giant Reign is another great bike. You might, also, look at a Kona Operator or Intense Tracer 2 (made in USA).
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #23742
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
While in the aforementioned Greenway Bike Shop, I got to talking to an older dude with a Specialized Enduro. He said it was the only bike he hasn't been able to break. They get great reviews in all the magazines. As mentioned, the Giant Reign is another great bike. You might, also, look at a Kona Operator or Intense Tracer 2 (made in USA).
Just had a test ride on a Specialized Stumpjumper with a carbon fiber frame. Very nice bike, and not at all twitchy like the other 26" bikes I've test ridden. The suspension felt very strange though. The rear felt undersprung while the front felt too hard, yet both were set up for a 180lb rider. I also noticed that despite it's lighter wheels, I couldn't bunny hop or wheelie it any easier than my 29" Superfly.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #23743
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Sugar sand is absolute hell. Riding through that stuff can be exhausting, even on flat areas. Last week I investigated the new trail out in Mt. Dora. It looks pretty manageable in the videos, but many riders warned that it's a real 'leg burner'. They weren't kidding. From start to finish, I was either riding down a steep hill or riding up a steep hill. After about 20 minutes of that I decided I'd had enough and drove up to Santos. They have some steep hills up there as well, but thankfully they're relatively short stretches.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #23744
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
One of the best seats in the house, though.
Quote:
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #23745
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
Isn't a 105 caadx like $1500, list?

Are those silver, or unpainted? I'm a sucker for a raw aluminum finish....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: