Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #23866
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
Funny thing, there is no law requiring a speedometer on a bicycle.
I would contend that I have no idea what 15mph feels like as apparent wind etc are never
constant. Stupid laws that can only really be forced on stupid people.
Who says bicyclists have to obey the law?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #23867
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Hey, I'm not a lawless rider and if the law said a speedometer was required equipment I would install one.
My point is that the speed limit can't really be enforced and the people who pay the ticket are condoning
an unfair law.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #23868
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Who says bicyclists have to obey the law?

No one is required to obey the law.

But if you operate a vehicle, any vehicle, motorized or not, on public roads; you are to follow traffic laws.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #23869
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quick maintenance question. Since I'ma sissy I spend most of (all) my time on the middle chain ring. The middle ring accumulates a ton of dirt, but it's hard to clean because the big ring is in the way. As I was pondering that today, I noticed that the big ring appears to be held on by 5 simple hex bolts (Specialized Secteur with Shimano parts). Can I just pull that big ring off to clean the middle ring? If so, what torque shoudl I use when I put it back on? Hell, as long as I'm asking, does the middle ring come off too? The middle ring actually appears to be the base of the whole thing, so I'm not sure it will come off.

Thanks,

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #23870
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Quick maintenance question. Since I'ma sissy I spend most of (all) my time on the middle chain ring. The middle ring accumulates a ton of dirt, but it's hard to clean because the big ring is in the way. As I was pondering that today, I noticed that the big ring appears to be held on by 5 simple hex bolts (Specialized Secteur with Shimano parts). Can I just pull that big ring off to clean the middle ring? If so, what torque shoudl I use when I put it back on? Hell, as long as I'm asking, does the middle ring come off too? The middle ring actually appears to be the base of the whole thing, so I'm not sure it will come off.

Thanks,
Jim, there's a thread in JM that needs your immediate attention.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #23871
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Jim, there's a thread in JM that needs your immediate attention.
Link, my brother? I've been gone all weekend.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #23872
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Quote:
Link, my brother? I've been gone all weekend.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786370
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #23873
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Now that's a funny one.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #23874
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:

Thanks,
They're all replaceable. I just use a brush and dish soap on mine. I only tear the bike down about once/year. That includes new cable/housings, new bar tape, and pulling the crank. Tires, chains, rings, and cassettes are replaced as needed, but rings and cassettes last a LONG time if you keep a tight chain on there.

In short, yes, you can pull the rings off.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #23875
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. Off to the garage!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #23876
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
No one is required to obey the law.

But if you operate a vehicle, any vehicle, motorized or not, on public roads; you are to follow traffic laws.
Hey, how many traffic laws are there?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #23877
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,996
Close but no cigar

FM to tears. We started the 600k on Saturday morning at 0500 and made it to the high point of the ride, Beaumont CA late that night - lots of climbing but some beautiful areas. It was first hotter than hell - over 100F - and then, it turned cold. On the way out of Beaumont, we missed a turn and ended up 20 miles from our control.

In SoCal, that's a killer. We went down two routes - one ended up being a dirt bike path and the other was blocked by construction. Imagine, riding like madmen streets trying to find Iowa & University in RIverside? We made it with less than two minutes to spare and then started back to the hotel where we ended the first 400k with a 36 minute cushion. The goal was to have a 5 hr cushion which we would have had w/o the missed turn. The mileage total after 26 hours was 275 miles.

I told my partner that we had to watch our time - I suggested that we take the 36 minutes and combine that with 30 min from the next control to give us an hour to regroup, eat, put on fresh clothes and hit the road. He wanted to lay down for 20 minutes. That put us 30 minutes late or effectively, we lost an hour out of the next control.

When we finally hit the road, we were making great time on the bike path - 16-20 mph but when we hit the PCH, my partner....died. He couldn't go over 12-14 mph as we made our way towards Huntington Beach, Laguna, etc. We hit the control in Dana Point with three minutes to spare and then he decided he wanted to eat. He was doing 7 mph up the hills - that's where we lost our time.

FMTT - I'd dying here - we have to get to the next control in Dana Point and my partner, due to no sleep in the previous 27 hours, can't ride fast enough to make the controls. I took off from DP and thought, maybe I can throw down a challenge and he'll follow me. So, I take off on the PCH at 20 mph and.....nothing.

I get to San Clemente and wait for him - and wait...and wait. I finally see him coming down the road and he's doing maybe 12 mph.

OK - we have 20 miles to go and one hour to get there - "can you make it?"

He responded, "I'm done". That ended our ride - we had 325 miles OR 520 km. The goal was 372 miles or 600 km.

As the title states, "close but no cigar".

As usual, my glass is half-full. We did 325 miles - was up well over 35 hours w/o sleep - braved a lot of SoCal drivers who did great for the most part - rode some nice bikeways - saw a few drunks and police playing games at 0200 - and learned a lot of lessons.

It's all good! We'll attempt another 600k next month in southern Utah and if I can't finish that one, the goal of a 1200 is off the table for 2012. Between now and then, I'll attempt to climb South Mt as much as possible to get stronger on the hills.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #23878
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Two more questions. I want to pull the cranks off so I can clean all around inside that area. I also want to pull the rear wheel apart so I can clean the cassette and all the associated hardware. My Park Tool Bicycle Repair Book is a little vague on which tools I need. I have a 2010 Specialized Secteur with low-end Shimano parts. Any idea which tools I need to pull the cranks and separate the rear wheel?

Thanks,

Jim Moore

Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #23879
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Two more questions. I want to pull the cranks off so I can clean all around inside that area. I also want to pull the rear wheel apart so I can clean the cassette and all the associated hardware. My Park Tool Bicycle Repair Book is a little vague on which tools I need. I have a 2010 Specialized Secteur with low-end Shimano parts. Any idea which tools I need to pull the cranks and separate the rear wheel?

Thanks,

Jim Moore
there's a bunch of different ways cranks can be attached nowdays, used to be, all decent bikes used square taper cranks. frankly, I wouldn't pull the cranks for cleaning, if you don't get them back on just right, they can creak and will drive you nuts.

taking the sprocket off the rear wheel, I usually just bring the wheel to my friendly neighborhood bike shop and let them pop it off for me :)

to do it yourself, you need the correct fcassette tool for your wheel, and a bench vise. you put the tool in the vise, and put the wheel on the tool and turn the wheel to break the lockring and then unscrew it, and take the cassette off.

instead of taking this stuff off the bike, I suggest getting a couple parts cleaner brushes with fairly long plastic bristles, and a spray bottle filled with kerosene or wd40, hose stuff down, brush off dirt, repeat. do this where its OK to make a greasy mess, like over a big drip tray.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #23880
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It's all good! We'll attempt another 600k next month in southern Utah and if I can't finish that one, the goal of a 1200 is off the table for 2012.

Sounds like you maybe just need a stronger partner.

Although I know how damn hard that can be finding somebody that:
a) is willing to ride crazy distances
and
b) is closely enough matched to your abilities

and well... I haven't gotten that far yet, but I suspect this one's important to:
c) is somebody you're willing to put up with for 24+ hours when neither of you are at your peak of social grace.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: