Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #23911
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
New personal record

I set a new personal record on Sunday when I drove out to the mountain bike trails at Santos. I arrived there at 10:00 in the morning and rode until noon, stopping only briefly to eat. By the time I exited the trail, my odometer showed that I'd accumulated a total of 61.5 miles! That's the longest distance I've traveled on any bike, on or off road. Given how much more effort it takes to ride over rocks, roots, and sand, I honestly don't know how I made it that far. It was so hot out (93F) that I had to refill my CamelBack three times, sucking down the last few drops as I exited the trail. I figure I must have sweated off a gallon of water in that time.

The bad news is that I still suck at the really difficult Red trails. Clearly I'm going to need a lot more practice at climbing and descending really steep hills littered with rocks and roots. The good news is that I discovered that on the easy Yellow trails, my road bike endurance training allows me to outpace much more skilled mountain bike riders. It was immensely gratifying to catch up to and pass all the guys who had earlier passed me on the rough sections of the trail.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #23912
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I set a new personal record on Sunday when I drove out to the mountain bike trails at Santos. I arrived there at 10:00 in the morning and rode until noon, stopping only briefly to eat. By the time I exited the trail, my odometer showed that I'd accumulated a total of 61.5 miles! That's the longest distance I've traveled on any bike, on or off road. Given how much more effort it takes to ride over rocks, roots, and sand, I honestly don't know how I made it that far. It was so hot out (93F) that I had to refill my CamelBack three times, sucking down the last few drops as I exited the trail. I figure I must have sweated off a gallon of water in that time.

The bad news is that I still suck at the really difficult Red trails. Clearly I'm going to need a lot more practice at climbing and descending really steep hills littered with rocks and roots. The good news is that I discovered that on the easy Yellow trails, my road bike endurance training allows me to outpace much more skilled mountain bike riders. It was immensely gratifying to catch up to and pass all the guys who had earlier passed me on the rough sections of the trail.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #23913
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,865
Nice work!
That is a load of miles climbing on a mtb.

Quote:

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #23914
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,762
2013 "Vacation"

Next year's vacation has been approved by SWMBO -

Linky

1400-km or 870 miles in 116 hours from London to Edinburgh and then back to London.

Actually, when you break it down, it's essentially 300 km or 186 miles a day for 4 days and then 200 km (120 miles) on the last day. Easy.

The current plans are to go over a week early and do the tourist thing - then, pack up K7Wife and K&daughter and send them home while I do the ride. Or, they may stick around a bit longer - up to them.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #23915
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
The bad news is that I still suck at the really difficult Red trails. Clearly I'm going to need a lot more practice at climbing and descending really steep hills littered with rocks and roots.
I found a video of the infamous Vortex red trail that kicked my ass yesterday. Those who have suffered the misfortune of having been on it know that it's much more treacherous in reality than the video makes it appear. I'm just happy to have survived it intact.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #23916
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,369
Thanks gummee and markjenn for the tools advice!
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #23917
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelius View Post
i set a new personal record on sunday when i drove out to the mountain bike trails at santos. I arrived there at 10:00 in the morning and rode until noon, stopping only briefly to eat. By the time i exited the trail, my odometer showed that i'd accumulated a total of 61.5 miles! That's the longest distance i've traveled on any bike, on or off road. Given how much more effort it takes to ride over rocks, roots, and sand, i honestly don't know how i made it that far. It was so hot out (93f) that i had to refill my camelback three times, sucking down the last few drops as i exited the trail. I figure i must have sweated off a gallon of water in that time.

the bad news is that i still suck at the really difficult red trails. Clearly i'm going to need a lot more practice at climbing and descending really steep hills littered with rocks and roots. The good news is that i discovered that on the easy yellow trails, my road bike endurance training allows me to outpace much more skilled mountain bike riders. It was immensely gratifying to catch up to and pass all the guys who had earlier passed me on the rough sections of the trail.
righteous
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #23918
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I made a Go Pro timelapse of my ride to and from work on Friday

Nice. I may have to try that. My experiment with running the ride at 2x on playback was kinda boring and WAY too long.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #23919
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Quick question: If I wnat to sit around on the forums and brag about doing a century, do I have to do it solo or does a group effort count? I did 67 miles in a group yesterday and it seemed pretty easy. I think 100 miles with 8-10 modestly fit riders is doable.
With traffic or against?

Hell, I think any ride over 60mi is worth boring my friends with, whether I was with anyone or not.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #23920
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Does anybody ever get IT band pain while cycling? I rode 2000 miles last year, and got some pain on only a handful of 60+ mile rides. This year, I am getting some pain at 30 miles....
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #23921
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
Does anybody ever get IT band pain while cycling? I rode 2000 miles last year, and got some pain on only a handful of 60+ mile rides. This year, I am getting some pain at 30 miles....
Nope. But from the Wiki page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
Causes

ITBS can result from one or more of the following training habits, anatomical abnormalities, or muscular imbalances:
Training habits:
Always running on a banked surface (such as the shoulder of a road or an indoor track) bends the downhill leg slightly inward and causes extreme stretching of the band against the femur
Inadequate warm-up or cool-down
Excessive up-hill and down-hill running
In cycling, having the feet "toed-in" to an excessive angle
Running up and down stairs
Hiking long distances
Rowing
Have you changed your shoes, cleats or pedals recently? Had a good bike fit since any major changes?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #23922
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
How 'bout a square taper crank arm puller?
If that's your style of BB, yep, something you probably need since the old-style cup/cone BB's require somewhat regular maintenance, especially if you ride in the wet. Personally, I like the Park CCP-22. And from hard experience, I can tell you to be sure you tighten the tool into the crank arm to preload the threads before you begin the pull - otherwise, you risk stripping the crank arm threads if the arm is on very tight.

Quote:
Btw, to re-install the crankarms do you simply tighten the crank arm bolt to spec? Or do you need to press it back onto the spindle?
I give it a few whacks with a plastic-faced mallet before tightening to spec. BTW, there is tremendous controversy about whether to grease the spindle before installing the crank arms. I use a little grease, but some say this is absolutely verboten. It's the bicycling-equivalent of using WD40 on your chain.

I've converted most of my bikes over to cartridge-style BB's.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #23923
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats the strange part. I bought my road bike a year ago, had it "fitted" (saddle height and fore/aft, and knee over pedal checked - i know, lots of opinions here, but it seemed to fit me ok), and havent really adjusted anything except adjusting the stem downwards about a centimeter.

shoes have been the same, speedplay x pedals the same, saddle position the same.

I have recently aquired a fixed gear bike in the hopes of getting a little stronger, but I havent ridden it too much yet (2 - one hour rides).

I do have a foam roller that is typically used to stretch it out, its just that it would be better to fix the problem rather than treating the symptom.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #23924
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5 View Post
Thats the strange part. I bought my road bike a year ago, had it "fitted" (saddle height and fore/aft, and knee over pedal checked - i know, lots of opinions here, but it seemed to fit me ok), and havent really adjusted anything except adjusting the stem downwards about a centimeter.

shoes have been the same, speedplay x pedals the same, saddle position the same.

I have recently aquired a fixed gear bike in the hopes of getting a little stronger, but I havent ridden it too much yet (2 - one hour rides).

I do have a foam roller that is typically used to stretch it out, its just that it would be better to fix the problem rather than treating the symptom.
Any good sports medicine clinics nearby? They may be able to isolate the mechanics that caused your inflamation and recommend treatments/therapy to reduce or fix it. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #23925
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Any good sports medicine clinics nearby? They may be able to isolate the mechanics that caused your inflamation and recommend treatments/therapy to reduce or fix it. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
ya, unfortunately thats my next step. I have signed up for RAGBRAI this year and I dont want this pain to ruin the party for me!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: