Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #23926
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
If that's your style of BB, yep, something you probably need since the old-style cup/cone BB's require somewhat regular maintenance, especially if you ride in the wet. Personally, I like the Park CCP-22. And from hard experience, I can tell you to be sure you tighten the tool into the crank arm to preload the threads before you begin the pull - otherwise, you risk stripping the crank arm threads if the arm is on very tight.

I give it a few whacks with a plastic-faced mallet before tightening to spec. BTW, there is tremendous controversy about whether to grease the spindle before installing the crank arms. I use a little grease, but some say this is absolutely verboten. It's the bicycling-equivalent of using WD40 on your chain.

I've converted most of my bikes over to cartridge-style BB's.

- Mark
There is no worse feeling in bike repair than seeing the crank tool moving out and the crankarm staying in place!

FWIW, I used the park tool with the handle for years and recently switched to the cwp-7. I really like the leverage of a decent 15mm wrench instead of that little handle. Plus, if I'm working on a juvenile mtb I don't have to pull a pedal to get the handle to rotate, i can just switch wrench positions on the tool. I know the built in handle seems handy, but really- how far away have I ever been from my 15?

If you do grease a spindle keep in mind it doesn't mean slathering it with grease- it's more than enough to just run an already greasy thumb and index finger over the spindle. Definitely grease the bolt threads. Also where the bolt head contacts the inside of the aluminum arm to keep it from 'digging in' to the alloy before it's actually tightened.

And check those cranks after each of the first few rides!! I'm convinced left crankarms are the reason shops ever started offering '30 day checkups' in the first place...
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #23927
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
There is no worse feeling in bike repair than seeing the crank tool moving out and the crankarm staying in place!

FWIW, I used the park tool with the handle for years and recently switched to the cwp-7. I really like the leverage of a decent 15mm wrench instead of that little handle. Plus, if I'm working on a juvenile mtb I don't have to pull a pedal to get the handle to rotate, i can just switch wrench positions on the tool. I know the built in handle seems handy, but really- how far away have I ever been from my 15?

If you do grease a spindle keep in mind it doesn't mean slathering it with grease- it's more than enough to just run an already greasy thumb and index finger over the spindle. Definitely grease the bolt threads. Also where the bolt head contacts the inside of the aluminum arm to keep it from 'digging in' to the alloy before it's actually tightened.

And check those cranks after each of the first few rides!! I'm convinced left crankarms are the reason shops ever started offering '30 day checkups' in the first place...
Old rule of thumb: if you submerge your crank/bb pull em and regrease em. Ditto with hubs.

With sealed bearing hubs/bb/etc. its less of an issue, but keep an eye on em.

Haymarket (hammerfest) ride tonite.

M
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #23928
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
When you see the tool tilt slightly you know you're screwed. Definitely a bummer.

When this happened to me, I couldn't get the right arm separated from the spindle for love nor money. Fortunately, the left side arm did come off so I was able to finally remove the BB from the frame with the reticent arm still attached by unscrewing the fixed cup (which can be a bit of an adventure too). I then heated the arm/spindle and beat the spindle out with a punch and huge hammer. The bike had sat most of its life and nobody had pulled the crank arms in 25 years. They were welded together. This is the reason I use a little grease now.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 10:43 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #23929
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,637
Thanks for the info, guys. You're scaring me a little bit, but I went ahead and ordered a CCP-22 today anyway. Wish me luck.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #23930
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. You're scaring me a little bit, but I went ahead and ordered a CCP-22 today anyway. Wish me luck.
I've pulled dozens and dozens of square post crank arms, including many that had been on 20+ years, and not had any problems. if they are a tight, I've been known to hit them with a bit of Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've found). I do usually lightly grease them before reassembly. if the inside threads on the crankarm are dirty, I'll clean them up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of solvent (typically wd40, because its what I have on hand). as several folks said, important that the threaded part of the puller is on as far as you can get it before you start twisting. oh and I grease the screw shaft on the puller so it turns easier.

I have the park CWP7, which you use with a wrench, mostly because its more compact and I'm not using it all the time. Also it fits the Octolink splined cranks, which I put on my son's vintage roadie.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #23931
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I've pulled dozens and dozens of square post crank arms, including many that had been on 20+ years, and not had any problems. if they are a tight, I've been known to hit them with a bit of Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've found). I do usually lightly grease them before reassembly. if the inside threads on the crankarm are dirty, I'll clean them up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of solvent (typically wd40, because its what I have on hand). as several folks said, important that the threaded part of the puller is on as far as you can get it before you start twisting. oh and I grease the screw shaft on the puller so it turns easier.

I have the park CWP7, which you use with a wrench, mostly because its more compact and I'm not using it all the time. Also it fits the Octolink splined cranks, which I put on my son's vintage roadie.
The genuine Campy crank puller has a slightly larger thread and will fit more snugly in the puller threads, sometimes offering purchase when a Park has already pulled out. I use nearly nothing else for this reason.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #23932
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nice. I may have to try that. My experiment with running the ride at 2x on playback was kinda boring and WAY too long.
I set it up to take a photo every 2 secs then played them back at 0.1 secs a photo.

Turned just under 2 hours of riding into that.

This was my first practice run doing it.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #23933
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I set it up to take a photo every 2 secs then played them back at 0.1 secs a photo.

Turned just under 2 hours of riding into that.

This was my first practice run doing it.

Appreciate the details. I'll give it a shot on the next ride.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #23934
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I pulled cranks a hundred times before running into one that wouldn't budge. The odds are with you. Good luck.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #23935
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,129
Just got back from my first road ride in over a year. Forgot how much I missed it.

Thought about riding the loop twice but figured I'd leave myself something to look forward to tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #23936
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Took the boy up to my parents on my off-days this week, and while they were being Grandma&Grandpa, I took the Vaya out to recon some forest roads and trails in the area. 49.2 miles@15.3mph avg. It was relatively flat, though the last 10 miles or so, I was fantasizing about calling them to come and pick me up along the road somewhere...

I'm guessing that 10-12 miles or so were unpaved.

Here, the road morphed into an ATV trail. I only went a couple hundred yards down it before I decided it was too sandy, and I was about 20 miles from home at this point, so I turned around.

A gust of wind blew the bike of the rock I perched it on...

I finished the day with four miles of this.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #23937
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Guess for me, it all started with a bicycle. Never realized that my body was capable of wondrous things till I pushed down on a pedal.

Perhaps I am patting myself on the back, but at least it is 'thread appropriate'.

Circa 1973, morning of my solo cross-country departure; Chico Ca. to Boston, Mass.

A couple of years after, here I am heading to La Paz. Some long lonely days on the road, as days can be for a solo adventurer.

One of my current mounts. Not nearly as physical, but still lots of fun. Gerry

mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #23938
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

...and I've pulled more'n a few that I *thought* were screwed in tight only to have the tool pull out with threads attached, but no crankarm.

If anyone needs one, I have a French thread crank puller I'll loan ya for a 6-er of your favorite local adult beverage.

M
Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #23939
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and I've pulled more'n a few that I *thought* were screwed in tight only to have the tool pull out with threads attached, but no crankarm.

If anyone needs one, I have a French thread crank puller I'll loan ya for a 6-er of your favorite local adult beverage.

M
Would that be TA or Stronglight?

Back on the bike for the first time in a long time. A trail just a short bit from my house:

Feels good. I may do more.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #23940
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Did the Singlespeedapalooza again

Great year for it. Trails were nice and dry and the course was great - 28 miles of singletrack. I was shot on the second lap but saw the photographer so I gave it a little loft for him.

Got my 7 yr old on the trails this year too. I was apprehensive until about ten minutes in he says :This is cool, Daddy". It was all good after that.

SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: