ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #24046
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
is something like this available commercially?



one lever working both brake cables
This?

http://www.paulcomp.com/duplexlever.html



Why?
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #24047
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
is something like this available commercially?



one lever working both brake cables
those were used for rim and drum brake combos, like were sometimes used on tandems, not for front+back wheel, eeek!
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #24048
melville
Beastly Adventurer
 
melville's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
those were used for rim and drum brake combos, like were sometimes used on tandems, not for front+back wheel, eeek!
Had a teammate with Terminal Limb Syndrome (short right arm, hand was just a paw) who used the old road bike version and then went to a cable splitter so he could run an STI lever and a barcon. I don't recall him doing much roadracing, but he was a 2 on the track.

It seemed it worked a lot better with old flexibrakes like Modolos than with those dual pivot thingies.
__________________
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #24049
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 14,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I know I'm beating a dead horse 'cause their minds are made up and nothing but nothing I'M going to say is going to change it.

...but I'm tenacious enough to think 'maybe just this once...'

M
I'm gonna be pissed if you push that thing over 100 pages. My old thread at 100 pages was the gold standard until it got punted to Head Explody.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #24050
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!
 
rthuey's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: insanity is not as easy as i make it look
Oddometer: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

thank you. was curious if it was being done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
those were used for rim and drum brake combos, like were sometimes used on tandems, not for front+back wheel, eeek!
how come eeek?
__________________
We're gonna go ridin!!!
rthuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #24051
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
thank you. was curious if it was being done.




how come eeek?

Moderately terrifying not being able to modulate the front and rear brake independently, especially on a mountain bike.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #24052
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Moderately terrifying not being able to modulate the front and rear brake independently, especially on a mountain bike.
Meh, what could possibly go wrong?

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #24053
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,837
Got home last night and after walking over to the local polling place and back got out for a peddle.

I'd walked almost 3 miles at lunch so my back was a little sore. The cycling put that to rest.

Big headwind on the way out. so it was easy to keep my speed below 15 mph.
Just as i dropped down to the the river at the park I caught up to a big motor plodding along in the big ring. I jumped on this wheel and stuck close to the bridge, where I was done with spinning 19 mph.

Just as I got into the Esses/curves I take a bee hit at my left temple. After I get stung I mashed the bugger, stopping to clear out the debris at the side of the trail. Damn! that hurt. Still does. Half my face is sore from it. Only a slight swelling and no stinger left behind. I continued on my way to turn around about 45 minutes as the sun was dropping out of the sky.

I hammered for hoem and made a point to stop for more water at the park. I was surprised that I could dance up the hill to the street to wait on the light my legs were not so much fresh but not weighed down feeling. Finally the strength is slowly returning. Maybe by the holiday I'll be riding the hills again.
My version of a 4th of July celebration for sure.

This morning the back is a little tight where the disk problem is but doesn't seem too bad. I'm taking every other day off at this point and still not going too hard. Walking seems to bother it more than riding though.

__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #24054
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I'm gonna be pissed if you push that thing over 100 pages. My old thread at 100 pages was the gold standard until it got punted to Head Explody.
Challenge accepted



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #24055
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,837
My oldest daughter predated my access to trailers so I had one of those chair things on the back of a long wheel base Motobecane Grand Record. Just fit with her big feet. I used those plastic kid chains to tether her bottle and a toy just long enough to give her room to move them around but not long enough to get into the spokes.
Longest ride I did was about 15 miles or so. Beat me like a rented mule. Straight block and the extra weight were a bit much.

Then her sister comes along at about the time she graduated to a two wheeler of her own. We got a Burley for a smoking deal. I mounted up some pink knobbies wth Mr Tuffy Tire liners and hitched it to my Rocky Mountain Glacier.
By the time she could talk, she'd yell, "Faster Boy, faster!".
That was her first sentence I think. I always seemed to have at least two kids in that trailer. I pulled it to the top of Vail Pass a few times. I always wave and nod at the people I see on the trail pulling trailers. Makes me remember those days. Closing on 25 years now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
As soon as he can hold his head up with a helmet on, I'll dust off the '86 ('87?) cro-mo DB Ascent EX and mount the trailer up.

__________________
...Dick
"You don't go to Mongolia for the food." - Sebastian & Kim
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #24056
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My oldest daughter predated my access to trailers so I had one of those chair things on the back of a long wheel base Motobecane Grand Record. Just fit with her big feet. I used those plastic kid chains to tether her bottle and a toy just long enough to give her room to move them around but not long enough to get into the spokes.
Longest ride I did was about 15 miles or so. Beat me like a rented mule. Straight block and the extra weight were a bit much.

Then her sister comes along at about the time she graduated to a two wheeler of her own. We got a Burley for a smoking deal. I mounted up some pink knobbies wth Mr Tuffy Tire liners and hitched it to my Rocky Mountain Glacier.
By the time she could talk, she'd yell, "Faster Boy, faster!".
That was her first sentence I think. I always seemed to have at least two kids in that trailer. I pulled it to the top of Vail Pass a few times. I always wave and nod at the people I see on the trail pulling trailers. Makes me remember those days. Closing on 25 years now.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #24057
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
My oldest daughter predated my access to trailers so I had one of those chair things on the back of a long wheel base Motobecane Grand Record. ...
omg, I still HAVE my motobecane grand record, from 1975. I think Ive pasted these pictures here before, my kid took them a few years back in high school.



Campy NR rocked!

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #24058
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 19,858
Whoa.... heart rate

I haven't checked my heart rate in a few months.... so when someone at work asked me about it, I checked - twice - since I didn't believe the results the first time around.

My rate, in beats-per-minute, is just a tick under my age in years.

That's down from just two months ago when I was at 62 bpm resting. Every Sunday for the last several weeks, I've been going up & down South Mt on multiple climbs with Tuesday/Thursday early morning rides.

I guess I'm in pretty good shape and hopefully, that'll translate to a finish in the 600k/378.8 mile ride next Friday/Saturday in under 40 hours.

k7 screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 03:23 PM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #24059
Blur
3MTA3
 
Blur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Qualia
Oddometer: 4,540
How my (then) 5 y.o. son and I used to roll....
(from 2007)





Here's the full ride report... "What's 29+29+20?"
__________________
Why use big words when any diminutive utterance will suffice?
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #24060
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I haven't checked my heart rate in a few months.... so when someone at work asked me about it, I checked - twice - since I didn't believe the results the first time around.

My rate, in beats-per-minute, is just a tick under my age in years.

That's down from just two months ago when I was at 62 bpm resting. Every Sunday for the last several weeks, I've been going up & down South Mt on multiple climbs with Tuesday/Thursday early morning rides.

I guess I'm in pretty good shape and hopefully, that'll translate to a finish in the 600k/378.8 mile ride next Friday/Saturday in under 40 hours.
Good Luck that's a LOT of miles in 48 hrs.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015