Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 512 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #24121
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
That thought occurred to me, but then I decided I wanted the stupid fucks to look at their discarded tubes every day as they ride by.
I gave up on patching tubes mid-ride, but it never occurred to me to ditch the old tubes mid-ride! What a huge weight savings (after you flat). Maybe I'll be lucky enough to flat every ride so I can ditch a tube and gain big mph!!!

Seriously, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't take the old tube with them.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #24122
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
I'd pick 'em up and patch 'em. Just because one flatted doesn't make the tube not repairable. WTF?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #24123
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
I've had a patched tube in my Mtn bike front tire for something like 7 year. The patch area, if done right, will outlast the rest of the tube. Chucking the tube is a waste, for sure.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #24124
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:
Dear Mr. Bicyclist,

I know. You're sad. You got a flat tire. It sucks. Your hands got dirty. You didn't get to finish your ride. We feel your pain. Do us a favor though, OK? After you finish fixing your flat, squint through your tears, take a look around, and PICK UP YOUR OLD INNER TUBE, YOU STUPID, LAZY PIECE OF SHIT! Just put back where you got the new inner tube and throw it away when you get home. Simple, right?

There's currently a half-dozen of the goddam things lying in the street on my morning route. How fucking hard is it to carry the it home?
Just to make you happy: I flatted tonite. Got out the spare, replaced the tube, using 2 CO2 cartridges doing it, and left absolutely nothing on the side of the road. I know. I looked to make sure.

...but I do that every time I flat, so it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Did I tell y'all that my legs want to secede? I heard em plotting.

M
Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #24125
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,785
Quote:
It surprised the shit out of me when I started noticing them recently. I mean, who wouldn't jam the old tube back in the tire kit?
That's exactly what I did. Why waste a perfectly good tube when you can just patch it later and re-use it?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #24126
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Spare rims & cassette

I'm considering taking my 29er out of state with me later this year, and I want to be able to use it for both on and off road riding. I was considering buying an inexpensive set of rims and a road cassette so I wouldn't have to go to all the trouble of changing tires constantly. The dealer estimated that my total cost would be around $500, including a set of road tires. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #24127
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,586
Can you actually patch those high-pressure tubes? The bike shop guy advised against it.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #24128
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:
Can you actually patch those high-pressure tubes? The bike shop guy advised against it.
:lol

Getting into a can o' worms: I dented the TT of my 'race bike' a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it'll stay dented and not start to crack on me, so I'm shopping for frames.

Current contenders are knockoffs:
Cervelo knockoff

Venge knockoff:

and a Scott Foil knockoff:

I'm broker'n shite and don't have an in with any of the companies that make the originals.

I rode my Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie last nite on the ride. I haven't figured out which chinese/taiwanese firm made that frame, but I haven't looked too terribly hard either. (I do have an in with Van Dessel, but I still can't afford the frameset )

M
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #24129
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm considering taking my 29er out of state with me later this year, and I want to be able to use it for both on and off road riding. I was considering buying an inexpensive set of rims and a road cassette so I wouldn't have to go to all the trouble of changing tires constantly. The dealer estimated that my total cost would be around $500, including a set of road tires. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

That price seems highly optimistic. There's the wheelset, skewers, cassette, rim strips, tubes, tires, rotors, and rotor bolts.

I'd just swap tires. It takes all of 10 minutes, beyond swapping wheelsets. Kenda Small Block 8, WTB Vulpine, or other XC hardpack tire will work.

Quote:
He just wants to sell a tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Getting into a can o' worms: I dented the TT of my 'race bike' a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it'll stay dented and not start to crack on me, so I'm shopping for frames.
Pedal Force?
Don't forget these guys, either.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #24130
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'd just swap tires. It takes all of 10 minutes, beyond swapping wheelsets.
I had a very hard time of it. On my 20 year old mountain bike, I could get a tire off the rim in under a minute, without even using tools. These new fangled rims are so deep that getting the tire up and over the lip of the rim required so much force that I was afraid the plastic tire lever would break. Putting the new tire on was almost as difficult. I think the whole operation took me over half an hour for just one tire.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #24131
Blur
3MTA3

Oddometer: 4,539
Aurelius...

Once the tire is removed and the air is out, unseat the bead of the tire all the way around wheel. Once the bead is unseated, hold the tire at the 12 o' clock position and make sure bead at the 6 o' clock position moved up into the deep, center portion of the wheel.

The tire should not be that hard to put on and take off.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #24132
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Wait until you try putting on a road tubeless tire! They are a bastard. I got mad like Curly, and got them on without levers. The key is to get the tire into the channel at 6 o'clock.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #24133
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Aurelius...

Once the tire is removed and the air is out, unseat the bead of the tire all the way around wheel. Once the bead is unseated, hold the tire at the 12 o' clock position and make sure bead at the 6 o' clock position moved up into the deep, center portion of the wheel.

The tire should not be that hard to put on and take off.
I'll give your technique a try with the front wheel.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #24134
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Aurelius...

You may also want to consider that a chain and cogs wear into each other and a chain may not want to play nice with a different cassette.

Whenever I go on big trips with my mountain bike I carry a spare wheel with me and a chain whip incase I taco my rim. Pop the cassette on the new wheel and I'm back in the game. For you're idea though it's hardly easier than changing out a tire.

Just a thought.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #24135
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Anybody using the 'Time Roc Atac S' Pedal?

I was going to order a set of XT pedals but they're backordered. The Time pedals I can get right away..

Any good?
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: