Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #24166
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Yup, you'd hate to ride in New England. That didn't seem that rough to me
As I said, none of these videos give you an accurate idea of what these trails are really like. The wide angle of the video camera make tight hairpin turn look like sweepers, and gives almost no indication of the steep elevation changes that occur throughout. From the video, you'd almost think they're riding on flat terrain. I was also looking for a particularly hairy section where we had to ram our way through sharp, concrete block sized rocks, but I didn't see it in the video. It was so bad that I was sure both my rims were bent, but fortunately they came through it OK. The tires' sidewalls look pretty beaten up though. I might have to replace them sooner than I thought.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #24167
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Is there an actual Sinkhole on the trail?
The entire trail is built into a great big sinkhole. Most of the lakes in Florida are actually sink holes.

Quote:
I ask because we have a trail named 'Sinkhole' in Western NC that brings the gnar.

Here's a video (not mine): http://sirbikesalot.com/includes/pop...j=&w=492&h=276

GOOD STUFF!

Edit: And keep in mind that the camera distorts the steepness. I've ridden lots of stuff and this trail (where it drops off on the left) freaks me the f**k out. This is the only trail I know that a couple of my buddies won't ride.
Yep, that's what the trails in upstate NY look like. I've never ridden them, but I used to spend the weekends hiking there.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #24168
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
My girlfriend and I, both, rode Sinkhole. That's nothing compared to some of what we have up here.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #24169
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My girlfriend and I, both, rode Sinkhole. That's nothing compared to some of what we have up here.
No doubt there are worse trails (Sinkhole is the easiest of the Red trails out there), but I have to wonder why anyone would want to ride trails like that. I only do it to increase my skill level, but once having acquired those skills, I can't envision a time when I'll actually look forward to riding them.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #24170
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I can't envision a time when I'll actually look forward to riding them.
You say that now. Wait a bit. What's daunting and scary now is blase in a few years. DAMHIK

M
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #24171
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You say that now. Wait a bit. What's daunting and scary now is blase in a few years. DAMHIK

M
It's not that they're daunting or scary that puts me off, just that there's nothing to like about them. It reminds me of my weight lifting days when I used to do grueling workouts four days a week, and spent most of my waking hours in pain. The enormous gains in strength and muscle mass made it worth the effort, but there was certainly nothing about the workouts that I could describe as 'enjoyable'. Even the two instructors who teach at Santos tell me that the only reason they would offer for riding the Red trails is to say that you've done it.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #24172
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
Got back home late Friday after a week in the PNWet. I managed a couple of short runs up there using my five fingers on the treadmill. Treadmills are hot with no fan.

No ride saturday as I spent the day with my wife, running errands and laying on the beach for a few hours, then grilling fillet's for dinner and finally the hot tub.

But, Saturday I got out for about 40 miles. I'm beginning to feel almost normal again.

The usual big headwind on the way out, so coming back I get some cruising in. Hot? yeah it got good and warm by the time I got on the hill and into t he still air.

According to the marks on the trail I was a little less than 7 miles form the ocean when I turned around for home. Maybe I can make it to the beach by bike next weekend? I hope so. I need to burn some belly, and time in the saddle is all that is really going to make that happen.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #24173
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
After reading about some epic rides some of you do, I only got a measly 103 miles for the weekend. but it feels good! I'll be in shape for our Vermont trip in august! And I'm loving the tubeless setup!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #24174
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Suing Strava? WTF?!

M
Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #24175
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Suing Strava? WTF?!

M

Wow. That is messed up.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #24176
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
And Garmin et al are responsible for morons getting lost on unplowed/unmaintained
roads too I guess. Or how about the idiots who turn into oncoming traffic or down
boat ramps because their car told them to?

Too much reliance on gizmos and not enough sense.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #24177
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
A frivolous lawsuit that will be thrown out, and waste peoples time. People have to take responsibility for themselves, FFS! The legal system in this country is a joke.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #24178
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
I don't get how ANY lawyer could think this was a good idea. Or maybe it's the way it has to be done. name everybody involved. Strava is a clock and a chalkboard.
People die. People die on motorcycles and bicycles and in bathtubs. Get over it. And move on.

Nobody gets out alive.

This is where the judge needs the big red plastic wiffleball bat.
"Would counsel please approach the bench."
"Whap!"
"Case dismissed. Now get out and if you ever bring a case this stupid into ANY court of law, you will be handed a paper hat and put back on fries where you belong."

Quote:
Suing Strava? WTF?!

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #24179
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I don't get how ANY lawyer could think this was a good idea. Or maybe it's the way it has to be done. name everybody involved. Strava is a clock and a chalkboard.
People die. People die on motorcycles and bicycles and in bathtubs. Get over it. And move on.

Nobody gets out alive.

This is where the judge needs the big red plastic wiffleball bat.
"Would counsel please approach the bench."
"Whap!"
"Case dismissed. Now get out and if you ever bring a case this stupid into ANY court of law, you will be handed a paper hat and put back on fries where you belong."
Scumbag lawyers like the ones here are banking on the company settling before it goes to court to avoid even more costly legal fees. It's just yet another sad indictment of modern-day society...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #24180
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,459
Quote:
Suing Strava? WTF?!

M
I....what?

In other news, anybody in mid-atlantic east coast riding this week? You get 10 extra hardcore points for every mile you do in over-90 heat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: