User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #24196
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,832
I sure wish I could manage two a day workouts on the bike. I'm also working ten hour days with an hour commute tacked on either end. I got 25 in last night. Lots of spinning.
I walk during lunch too. Hoping to get that up to 3 miles.
And on days like today where I won't get home until late, I'll run.
Oh, and getting my diet in order. Not a diet plan/special food, rather cutting the junk and portion control. That was working well in January.
@172 last night post ride. I had to grab a gel at the turn around to relax my cramping shins and calf muscles. It seems if I spin lightly I get cramps, so upping the pressure by a gear and getting that gel and more water in me makes it all go away. At the end of January I'd hit a low of 158.

The headwind on the way out was pretty heavy I was only able to manage low speed with a lot of spinning in low gears. I have yet to spend any time in that big ring on even flat ground. Heck, I haven't even gotten to the outside of the cogs in the 39 yet. I have a ways to go. But, then I'm not racing I'm wearing the fat off.
When I turned for home as I figured out the sun goes down sometime after 7 so I'd better get my lightless butt back up the hill before then. The headwind became a nice tailwind that for a bit pushed me pretty good and at least was not holding me back in some other places.
Still just spinning on the flats. Legs felt better so maybe in a couple of weeks I can get all the way down to Newport COast and ride that again, and begin to get climbing and longer miles in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
2-a-days are what's doing it for me. Keep the rpm up and watch it melt off.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #24197
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Can ya commute by bike? That helped me get in 2-a-days.

I just got done with a couple of hours of isometrics. aka mowing the lawn. We have a Scag stand-behind mower. Hafta keep the knees unlocked to absorb the shocks.

M
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #24198
Scurley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
If my commute is only 12 or 13 miles each way, would that count as a two-a-day, or just a onesie with a fat break in the middle? It doesn't help that the only hill is a bridge that crosses a small canal.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #24199
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurley View Post
If my commute is only 12 or 13 miles each way, would that count as a two-a-day, or just a onesie with a fat break in the middle? It doesn't help that the only hill is a bridge that crosses a small canal.
Depends on what you're doing... intervals/sprints? Sure its a 2-a-day. JRA? well... sorta

M
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #24200
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

28 miles each way with a computer. Short answer is nope.
If I were to manage it I'd be leaving the house about 3:00Am to get here, cleaned up and working by 5:30. The trail is not a good place to be in the dark, even with lights. There are some bad areas to be caught alone in between the hills and the sea.
My plan is walking at lunch then riding or running after work. If I can work back up to an hour run I'll be fine and running the hills burns a lot. The evening heat is getting to where I'll need to carry water when running too. This plan will work it just takes a little longer than the 2 a day deal. Back in the day, when I was in college I'd ride easy to school 28 miles, then ride hard home going the long way with the mountains in the way. Now, 28 miles is not easy no matter how slow I am. Back then easy was an average of 18 mph. I can't do that yet at maximum output.
Speed in getting back to fit isn't my goal.

My goal is to re-engineer my lifestyle so I eat smarter and exercise all the time as part of how I live. I figure it is harder to alter my habits, but in the long run better for me and sustainable. This is after all a part of my larger retirement plan where I simplify my life and live healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Can ya commute by bike? That helped me get in 2-a-days.

I just got done with a couple of hours of isometrics. aka mowing the lawn. We have a Scag stand-behind mower. Hafta keep the knees unlocked to absorb the shocks.

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #24201
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I got my picture taken with a local kid made good last nite: Joe Dombrowski. He just won the 'Baby Giro d'Italia' against a stellar field.

Stay tuned for pics once I have the link to em.

M
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #24202
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
buncha hooligans... don't y'all have bikes to ride?

Still training and racing like mad 5-6 days per week with periodization and intervals from my coach. At the upper level of regional Cat 3 racing and nudging Cat 2 but probably won't gather quite enough points this year. Just rode a double century last Saturday from Greensboro, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC with 6 others and we managed to maintain a 20mph pace with a rotating pace line. Heading to Boone tomorrow for the annual Blood, Sweat and Gears mountain century. Really hoping to break the 5:30 mark on it this year. Hope y'all are getting in some solid riding and no whammies.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #24203
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post

Still training and racing like mad 5-6 days per week with periodization and intervals from my coach. At the upper level of regional Cat 3 racing and nudging Cat 2 but probably won't gather quite enough points this year. Just rode a double century last Saturday from Greensboro, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC with 6 others and we managed to maintain a 20mph pace with a rotating pace line. Heading to Boone tomorrow for the annual Blood, Sweat and Gears mountain century. Really hoping to break the 5:30 mark on it this year. Hope y'all are getting in some solid riding and no whammies.

Good to see you posting again Ridge was worried hadn't seen you post in a while. But I guess you are riding more than posting which is a damn good thing. Wish I could say the same. Enjoy your mountain century !
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #24204
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:

Hey it's Ridge, I thought you were abducted by aliens or something.Hows the racing going this year. as a Cat 3?

Yes, riding a lot by my standards. I didn't ride or do anything all winter and I do mean nothing , Fatter and slower, but riding.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 01:13 AM
TheYeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #24205
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Got the word this morning that the program I was on is stopped, No more OT. So, I finished up what I had cooking and came home for a ride,

Man the on shore wind has been brutal. Beat me like a rented mule on the way out. I did manage to get some pace going on the way back but man I was spent on the hill.

So, with nothing in the pipe I decided to take tomorrow and Monday off. My own little summer start up stay-cation. And I plan on riding.

The weather is perfect hot in the afternoon but cool in the shade. As soon as the sun dips toward Catalina the air up here cools and it is perfect.

The tape:

Oh and fifteen minutes into the ride I got stung on the head by another damned bee. What did I ever do to the stupid bee? He's the dumass that flew into my helmet and got pissed off.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 07:21 PM
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #24206
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Hey it's Ridge, I thought you were abducted by aliens or something.Hows the racing going this year. as a Cat 3?

Yes, riding a lot by my standards. I didn't ride or do anything all winter and I do mean nothing , Fatter and slower, but riding.
Racing Cat 3 for a well-established and bigger team has made such a huge impact on my tactical knowledge. No longer am I scrambling and fighting to make my way up front of the peloton. I've been much more aggressive in attacking and establishing breakaways in both RR and crits. The security of knowing there is a team that is strong enough to control the pace and willing to work for me when I can get away from the pack is priceless. I sacrificed a lot of my early season results to help a couple of teammates get their upgrade points in, but now I get to shine and put rubber to the road. Doing that established a lot of respect from the rest of the team and they know I will work just as hard for them as they will for me.

The local racing calendar has taken a bit of a hit as a few of the omnium weekends have been cancelled, or put on hold. I'm guessing due to an economic hit. July and August look to be filled though, so right back into the maelstrom. I did buy a cross bike this year, so watch out GUMMEE... I picked up a full Ultegra Vassago Fisticuff and I'm loving it. I'd like to swap out the Ultegra for SRAM Apex, but that's a project for the winter.

Good to hear you guys are still riding. I should make it over to the Farmer's market ride again soon.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #24207
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Killer deal going here. I'd love to have it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #24208
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,783
Bluhduh No more drops for me.

Since I had the day off and the weekend weather prediction was for rain, I headed out to my favorite local trail to do what little riding I could. One part of the trail features a ledge with a 2 foot drop. I always go around it, but I was feeling confident this morning so I thought I'd give it a go. I got up to speed and sailed off the drop, landing hard on my front wheel and was catapulted over the handlebars. My chest and face hit the ground first. Fortunately the only damage to me was a bloody nose and a scraped knee. I think my upper lip is starting to swell up a bit, but fortunately my teeth are intact. Not quite sure what went wrong, but I'll be avoiding any drops I find on the trails in future.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #24209
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Killer deal going here. I'd love to have it.
great deal for someone looking for touring bike that is ready to go. Hell the racks and bags are worth $650.00 alone.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #24210
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Racing Cat 3 for a well-established and bigger team has made such a huge impact on my tactical knowledge. No longer am I scrambling and fighting to make my way up front of the peloton. I've been much more aggressive in attacking and establishing breakaways in both RR and crits. The security of knowing there is a team that is strong enough to control the pace and willing to work for me when I can get away from the pack is priceless. I sacrificed a lot of my early season results to help a couple of teammates get their upgrade points in, but now I get to shine and put rubber to the road. Doing that established a lot of respect from the rest of the team and they know I will work just as hard for them as they will for me.

The local racing calendar has taken a bit of a hit as a few of the omnium weekends have been cancelled, or put on hold. I'm guessing due to an economic hit. July and August look to be filled though, so right back into the maelstrom. I did buy a cross bike this year, so watch out GUMMEE... I picked up a full Ultegra Vassago Fisticuff and I'm loving it. I'd like to swap out the Ultegra for SRAM Apex, but that's a project for the winter.

Good to hear you guys are still riding. I should make it over to the Farmer's market ride again soon.
I'm glad you changed teams,it was a good team to start racing with. racing freelace as a Cat 5, and at 4 is fine, but the upper Cats, you really need two or three good teammates.

Sure come on out to the Farmer's Market ride and kill them I've been riding with the older guys that leave before the Big Dogs. I can't hang with those guys. Usually, and it's time I stop fooling my self into thinking I can.I get a soild workout,without getting dropped on second or third burst of speed.Or when you say " I'll go up and help with the pace" ,and then were hitting 35 on the flats.

Good Luck with your weekend mountain rec ride,AKA Boone Sufferfest. I hope you can break your 5:30.

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 12:39 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: