Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #24211
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Since I had the day off and the weekend weather prediction was for rain, I headed out to my favorite local trail to do what little riding I could. One part of the trail features a ledge with a 2 foot drop. I always go around it, but I was feeling confident this morning so I thought I'd give it a go. I got up to speed and sailed off the drop, landing hard on my front wheel and was catapulted over the handlebars. My chest and face hit the ground first. Fortunately the only damage to me was a bloody nose and a scraped knee. I think my upper lip is starting to swell up a bit, but fortunately my teeth are intact. Not quite sure what went wrong, but I'll be avoiding any drops I find on the trails in future.
At least you gave it a go!!

I'm covered in scars from crashing, some were epics and others were just simply embarrassing. Having a good wheelie drop in your tool bag is a good thing to keep trying to get. Keep it up.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #24212
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
At least you gave it a go!!

I'm covered in scars from crashing, some were epics and others were just simply embarrassing. Having a good wheelie drop in your tool bag is a good thing to keep trying to get. Keep it up.
Just talked to another rider who knows that trail very well. He says I should have dropped my seat post and gotten my ass way over the rear wheel, which would have prevented the endo. I'll have to give that a try next time. He also recommended I wear a full face helmet from now on.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #24213
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,835
Quote:
Just talked to another rider who knows that trail very well. He says I should have dropped my seat post and gotten my ass way over the rear wheel, which would have prevented the endo. I'll have to give that a try next time. He also recommended I wear a full face helmet from now on.
A full face is probably a good idea, considering your recent history! I gotta give you credit, for even getting on a mountain bike, after breaking your hip. You don't have to get your ass way behind the seat. You have to pull the front up as you go off the drop, ensuring you land on your back wheel. I started ridiing dirt bikes at age 12, so the transition to mountain bikes at 32 wasn'r that tough. If you don't have a dirt bike background, I recommend wearing all the protective gear you can fit on your body. Mountain biking is great fun, when you can complete a day without injuring yourself! Good luck.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #24214
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
I went out this afternoon and before I left I checked the radar. Didn't look too bad, but after I got about 15 miles south it was very dark to the north. I started back and had the wind behind me. It looked like the storm would all blow east, but the wind changed and I was stuck out in a miserable thunderstorm. Wind and hail for about 20 minutes. I waited under a tree and then sloshed home. My cell phone is in the bag of rice again.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #24215
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
A full face is probably a good idea, considering your recent history! I gotta give you credit, for even getting on a mountain bike, after breaking your hip. You don't have to get your ass way behind the seat. You have to pull the front up as you go off the drop, ensuring you land on your back wheel. I started ridiing dirt bikes at age 12, so the transition to mountain bikes at 32 wasn'r that tough. If you don't have a dirt bike background, I recommend wearing all the protective gear you can fit on your body. Mountain biking is great fun, when you can complete a day without injuring yourself! Good luck.
Feh, this is only my second fall after traveling hundreds of miles on dirt trails. Dirt is a lot more forgiving than hard, abrasive, asphalt, and as long as I avoid drops, there isn't much else to worry about. Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #24216
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Feh, this is only my second fall after traveling hundreds of miles on dirt trails. Dirt is a lot more forgiving than hard, abrasive, asphalt, and as long as I avoid drops, there isn't much else to worry about. Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.

It aint that easy, sorry to say... You are going to find out how steep the learning curve is, even if you don't take on the trails tha have a bump or two. You can face plant in any number of scenarios's. The key to feeling comfortable is to test yourself over terrain you feel uncomfortable on. Wear your gear..

And I'm going to disagree on the dirt being more forgiving thing... Come ride up here in New England. You will definitely become a better rider trying to navigate the Rock Gardens we have here. You have a lot to learn, Aurelius

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 08:09 PM
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #24217
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 11,392
Quote:
Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.
You might consider a mouthguard if you do not want to do a full face helmet. I wear a light one during enduros and if I am riding with faster riders.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #24218
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
One more quick note on FF helmets.

Find one that vents WELL. I have a Troy Lee Designs D2 and it is fine, but I would guess it would melt your brain in FLA. I have heard the D3 has better flow than the D2. I use mine for DJ so I am either moving quite fast, or not (resting).
Old 06-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #24219
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
50 miles in the saddle at a 16-18 mph pace. Felt really good.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #24220
rbrsddn
3banger

We did 42 yesterday, with the killer hills, and 2 hours today in the woods. It's miller time!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #24221
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,823
Very tired and sore today after the 4th day riding in a row. I've dropped to 165 pounds now due to all the riding, and not going too crazy with the feedbag.
I figure somewhere around 150 should be the target. The burn off has slowed a bit. Today was hard. I used up two gel-packs and just about the whole bag of Chomps, and three bottles of nuun to get home.

I managed to catch onto a few folks for a while.
On the way out I Jumped on the wheel of a guy who passed me, and we traded pace for a while. Somewhere after the Pond he dropped off even though I slowed to let him catch. I never saw him again.

Once I got to the beach I re-fueled took on water and did my first gel. Then headed south on PCH. About the fancy car place I u-turned figuring rightly I'd overstepped my fitness. That turned out to be a good thing. A tandem came by and I was able to jump on and hang for a while then swapped places and pulled for a bit. They headed for the beach and I turned East back up the trail.
Sore neck, aches in my triceps and butt. Long time in the saddle with every day. I got myself settled and started cranking out an easy spin with the slight tail wind helping push me along. A couple of really fast guys came by like I was going the other way in a car. Then a group of four guys came by after I'd stopped to see if I had a tool that might help a dad get his son's pedal back on. I didn't so the family were reduced to hiking.
Now, I need to snoop around and find the safe place I put my fancy multi-tool.

The 4 fast guys were quick for a bit and wound themselves up to beyond 26 mph, where I dropped off the back. I caught them again at the bridge and hung on as they had slowed to an easy pace I could match. I really needed to stop and fill my bottles and eat up the rest of my Chomps. I was real close to out of gas at that point. The last gel had kicked in but I was sure that alone was not going to get me back up the hill.
There was a woman on a mountain bike up ahead of me and hammering hard. I caught her, and went around to pull and she steamed past and accelerated away. I chased again and caught on and pulled through. When we got to the short climb up to the road from the river she stood on her pedals and came by. Though now without me pushing hard to stay at least even.

Ouch!

She yelled her satisfaction in making the climb ahead of me as I re-took the lead. Then I dropped to the street and wound my spin back up to make the light. she continued on the path got the bigger hill and light to deal with. When I turned up off the path for the last time to climb the shallower side of the hill home I saw her speed by below.
On the final hill I did have to drop it into the basement to get up, but I never stopped and got home.

I'll have to go shorter tomorrow and lighter. I am beat good now. But man, it feels good to be on the road back. IF I can figure it tomorrow I'll try some of that road riding.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #24222
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
One more quick note on FF helmets.

Find one that vents WELL. I have a Troy Lee Designs D2 and it is fine, but I would guess it would melt your brain in FLA. I have heard the D3 has better flow than the D2. I use mine for DJ so I am either moving quite fast, or not (resting).
The strangest thing happened. I went to the bike store on Saturday, fully prepared to buy one of the full face helmets they have in stock, but the sales guy talked me out of it. He explained that full face helmets are horrible in Florida weather and that I would grow to hate mountain biking if I wore one. His advice was that unless I plan to do downhill racing or stupid stunts which are likely to end in a face plant, forget about them. So I didn't buy one.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #24223
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
His advice was that unless I plan to do downhill racing or stupid stunts which are likely to end in a face plant, forget about them. So I didn't buy one.
I don't ever faceplant dirt jumping.......

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #24224
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
The strangest thing happened. I went to the bike store on Saturday, fully prepared to buy one of the full face helmets they have in stock, but the sales guy talked me out of it. He explained that full face helmets are horrible in Florida weather and that I would grow to hate mountain biking if I wore one. His advice was that unless I plan to do downhill racing or stupid stunts which are likely to end in a face plant, forget about them. So I didn't buy one.
One of the first few times I went biking off-pavement I had a pretty scary over-the-the-bars wreck that ended in a literal face-plant. Ate a lot of dirt, and if I'd hit the big rock that was a foot or so further along the heading I was flying, I'd have probably needed dental work.

I thought about getting a full-facer after that, and shopped for one a couple of times. Never got around to buying, though. Never had another face plant, either, despite getting into considerably more technical and challenging trails than I was riding during that first wreck.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #24225
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
intervals suuuuuuck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: