Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #24211
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Video of yesterdays ride

What city is that? It looks like central Florida, except that everyone is driving on the wrong side.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #24212
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
rode my new Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels today with the Tubeless tires. Pressures were 90 lbs front, 95 rear. This setup rocks! The usual sharp bumps at 8 bars were gone, replaced by a feeling of floating over everything. Also, the tires were so quiet. I don't know if it was psychological, but the bike seemed to climb better. I'm going out for 60 tomorrow and will get more feedback. but I'm liking it so far!
very interested in this set up. Please provide updates on your impressions.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #24213
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Finding the right tires

Had a good day out on my 29er last weekend, but I noticed that the rear tire wasn't getting much traction, even after reducing air pressure to 30psi. Grip on sand and hard packed earth is OK, but roots and rocks cause the bike to fishtail all over the place. The local dealership sold me a slightly fatter tire (2.1 vs 2.0) with a completely different tread pattern, which I put on last night. No telling if it's going to be any better on the trails, though. So, anyone have any recommendations if it doesn't?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #24214
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
very interested in this set up. Please provide updates on your impressions.
I don't know if I'll ever go back to tubes, the ride is that good. The shock absorbing qualities of the lower pressures is going to reduce fatigue over longer rides. I bought the Road Tubeless kit from Stan's
http://www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless...on-3-P650.aspx

I didn't have to use the tape, as these wheels don't have spoke holes through. 2 oz of stan's sealant in each wheel will reportedly fix small punctures before you know it. You can buy the seperate tires/sealant other places cheaper, I've found. I highly recommend this to people who get a lot of flats, but primarily for the comfort factor. I let a buddy ride the bike Sunday, and he noticed the difference right away, riding over some expansion joints. I'm sold.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #24215
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Aurelius -

Dunno how heavy you are or what sort of sharp stuff you encounter on the trails but I roll with 28 psi in my 29er all the time. I'm 6' 3", 215 lbs. Rarely have a problem.

Tires to consider:
The Panaracer Rampage
The Maxxis Cross Mark
The Maxxis Ignitor

And if you're a weight weenie:
Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

I've heard good things about the Continental Mountain Kings and Kenda Small Block Eights but never used them myself.

What tire you use totally depends on your 'style' of riding, the area where you ride, etc. Join a local mtb forum and read some of the recommendations there.

Or, you could always head over to Mountain Bike Review and look up tire reviews.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #24216
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

agreed, generally run less than 30 psi on the mountain bike . The heckler came with Maxxis High Rollers , no complaints. Although mine are wide 26 x 2.5 .
Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #24217
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Aurelius -

Dunno how heavy you are or what sort of sharp stuff you encounter on the trails but I roll with 28 psi in my 29er all the time. I'm 6' 3", 215 lbs. Rarely have a problem.
I weigh 180 lbs. I had been using 25 psi until I got a pinch flat a couple of weeks ago, and thereafter increased it to 30 psi just to be safe. The trails out at Santos - particularly the red and blue trails, are littered with sharp rocks and roots. Here's a video someone made of the Ant Hill trail at Santos so you can see for yourself. It's representative of the worst sort of ground conditions you're going to encounter out there:

Quote:
Tires to consider:
The Panaracer Rampage
The Maxxis Cross Mark
The Maxxis Ignitor

And if you're a weight weenie:
Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

I've heard good things about the Continental Mountain Kings and Kenda Small Block Eights but never used them myself.

What tire you use totally depends on your 'style' of riding, the area where you ride, etc. Join a local mtb forum and read some of the recommendations there.

Or, you could always head over to Mountain Bike Review and look up tire reviews.

Good luck!
Great resource, thanks!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #24218
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
agreed, generally run less than 30 psi on the mountain bike . The heckler came with Maxxis High Rollers , no complaints. Although mine are wide 26 x 2.5 .
That's a wide ass tire, even for a 26er. Does the tire width determine how much pressure you run in it?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #24219
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That's a wide ass tire, even for a 26er. Does the tire width determine how much pressure you run in it?
I would say yes. Tire width , rider weight and trail conditions . But am only a recreational rider. I have not had a pinch flat yet.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #24220
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,622
Intervals in the rain suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #24221
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,429
Found out today that there are 6-7 miles of maintained, arrowed, 1-way mtn bike trails 5ish miles from my house. Bought a helmet from a guy a couple blocks away and he gave me the lowdown on the local and not so local trails.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #24222
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
What city is that? It looks like central Florida, except that everyone is driving on the wrong side.
Its Wollongong in NSW Aus. Its about 1 hours drive south of Sydney.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #24223
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
I run 2.5in wide tubeless highrollers on my Reign at 25psi front and 30psi rear with no issues at 118kgs.

My Superfly HT 29er now has a 2.4in Conti X king on the front that is tubeless running 30psi and a 2.1 Crossmark running tubeless at 35psi.

On my old rigid redline 29er with tubes I would go down as low as 20psi with a WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55in front tyre.

I am never going back to tubes on the MTB again after going tubeless.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #24224
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
I run 2.5in wide tubeless highrollers on my Reign at 25psi front and 30psi rear with no issues at 118kgs.

My Superfly HT 29er now has a 2.4in Conti X king on the front that is tubeless running 30psi and a 2.1 Crossmark running tubeless at 35psi.

On my old rigid redline 29er with tubes I would go down as low as 20psi with a WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55in front tyre.

I am never going back to tubes on the MTB again after going tubeless.
Going tubeless is definitely something I need to look into. Everybody who has done it says they'd never go back to using tubes.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #24225
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Intervals in the rain suck.
Intervals suck period. The rain just adds that much more suck.

...but at least you stayed warm!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: