User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #24256
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
I was the sweep rider in a 100km MTB Enduro yesterday. I have never spent that long on the bike before. Riding from home to the start and back home again may have been a mistake

And a video I made of some it

Lewy screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 02:10 AM
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #24257
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
3737 as of this morning's ride. 477 in May! Highlights included a 75 mile day and an impromptu 1 hour time trial (I got a late start this morning) that netted me 19.25 miles. I'm at 1387 for 2012. I should be at 1458, but goddammit, that's progress! As far as my 1012 goals, a century is looking pretty damn doable. My 3500 mile goal looks legit, barring disaster. 20 miles in an hour is still looking pretty sketchy. I can cruise along OK between 19 mph and 20 mph, but someone drops a load of bricks on me at 20.1.
4038 as of yesterday's ride. 301 miles. Not great, but not bad. Lowlights of the month were a minor knee isue and a goddam week-long hurricane. And two flat tires. I'm at 1688. I should be at 1750.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #24258
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
I finished out the month not riding. Though it was my biggest month of the year. 392 miles. I was supposed to be working, but work had ther ideas. A mess we'll sort come Monday.

I did get a workout in the afternoon heat. Changed the tires on the Adventure. Fresh Knobbies.

In stalled some new cages on the Roubaix and filled bottles await cooling their heels in the fridge. A couple more things to sort here, then I can go spin my way into July.
Weather is perfect here. Should be hot today, I hear tell inland will hit 102-ish. Should cooler at the beach, so I'll head that way.

ride report after.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #24259
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I had people say oh, you shouldn't be riding in this heat. With the low humidity it's not bad. It's usually 50-60%. humidity this time of year ,That would be brutal.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #24260
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,823
halfway through the year -

Just over 2700 miles YTD and 541 miles in June. I avoid big rides unless they're related to a specific century or a brevet. Typically, I only ride about 75 miles a week in so-called training - it's just too damn hot to ride too much.

This morning is fairly typical - up at 0400, banana for breakfast and then off to the store on the Indian Reservation that's exactly 23 miles away. However, with the arrival of a powertap-equipped rear wheel, I decided to gather some data as described in Allen/Coggan's "Training & Racing with a Power Meter." That means a 20 min warm up at endurance pace, three 1 minute intervals at a 100 rpm cadance, a 5 min all out effort, a 10 minute endurance portion and then a 20-min "time trial" kind of pace.

I finished the 20 min portion as I arrived at the store so the timing was perfect. On the return ride home, I took it easy until I started coming up behind other riders on Pecos Rd - and then it became my mission to chase them down. Silly - I have no idea why I do that - must be part bird dog so something.

Came home, uploaded the data into the "Golden Cheetah" program and spend a few minutes going, "What the hell?" as I try to determine my functional threshold power.

Yeah - there's plenty of room for improvement.

Why am I doing this? I have zero ZERO aspirations to race but I want to finish every brevet that I enter. This year, I've done one century, two 200-km brevets, a 300-km one, a 400- and a 600-km event. I have a 200-km up in Show Low in August where I attempted and failed miserably last year. I also started and DNF'd two different 600-km events - one due to weather and one due to a wrong turn. My partner, as it turns out, only has two speeds when he doesn't get sleep - slow and slower.

He did ok on the last 600 - three hours of sleep helped and we finished but I'm concerned about his ability to peform on the 1200-km brevet in Sept. We'll have to have a discussion - if he can't go and I can, I hope he doesn't expect me to not move forward. As it was on the 600's second day, I spend probably a total of 2 hours waiting on him at various points. Time wasn't critical so I was happy to do so but... that won't always be an option.

I've loving the process and training in any case - my goals were modest this year: at least attempt the super randonneur series with a hope of finishing it. I got the feeling in March that we could so we upped the goal and added the 1200-km event in Sept. To finish it would be excellent.

We've set our goals for next year also - do another SR series and then ride London-Edinburgh-London in July. That's 1400-km in less than 5 days. Essentially, it's about a double-century a day for 4 days with a century ride to finish. I think I can do that.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #24261
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
I got out for a ride down the trail to the beach and back. I worked myself hard. 54.6 miles at just under 16 mph average. Two long stops to rest and re-water. It is hot for me here. Not by the measure of what we see back east though. I caught a few fast wheels and pulled through a few times as well. I got myself sore too. No joint pain and my back is pretty good compared to where it started this morning I feel very good. My legs are toast. They feel like stones. My butt is sore form the massive amount of high rpm spinning I was doing to keep pace with some of the fast groups.
I can't get the embed text to show right now on the iPad and have yet to figure out how to copy it anyway, so no map...
One bad thing is I broke a spoke. Shop has to order some. I'm not overly happy about that, but I'll make due. I might get the wheel back Friday. That means I'll miss out on riding on the 4th. Dammit!

I impressed myself by holding the wheel of this really fit lady who I've seen a few times. She is fast. She came by pulling a guy at about 19 to 20 mph, since I was at about mile 15 I was able to spin onto the wheel of the guy. That took a load of concentration since he was not smooth and kept riding up too close and backing off quick. After he pulled off at the Pond I pulled through at the turn and pulled for a mile or so which pretty much did it for me. But I was able to hit and hold 22 mph for a good bit of that.
Just as the headwind picked up a group came by and I was too fractured to spin into their wake. I recovered in a short time and got spinning again when a couple of guys dressed the same and riding the same make and model of bikes. I got on their wheels and pulled through, then as they slowed pulled through again and kept a steady pace. They dropped on the climbs up from under the bridges. They were both trying to turn over big rings and small cogs. Low rpm never wins against the spin on the flat into the wind. One guy would stand on the flats and did that standing up thing where he shoots the bike backwards!
Crazy wrong. He'd shoot the thing back about a foot.

About 4 miles from the ocean there were bees swarming onto the yellow dashed line on the path. Very weird. I had two bees bounce off my helmet and inside. I was able to pull the helmet and shake them free without getting stung.
On the way back I caught onto a group of folks with a tandem and a solo rider. Fun people we spun along at about 17 to 20 mph and talked. Almost felt like the old days.
They pulled off at the ball field and I continued only to really start feeling all that early effort. I had to switch into survival mode for three miles or so into the park where i re-watered and had four Chomps. A bottle of tepid water and those got me home.
All in all a pretty good start to the month. I won't be getting a lot of miles since I'll likely be working overtime to make up for the weekends mess somebody made in the IT world and of course the holiday mid-week. I hope I can get home in condition to get in a short run or three. We'll see.

Now, the tour's on. Time for some vicarious racing.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #24262
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Racing in 103 degree direct sun is not recommended... trust me on that one. Salvaged 7th in the 3 race, but burnt every match I had and only got two drinks in the entire race. Do not want to repeat that any time soon.

Just in case your curious what a 45 minute crit looks like in the numbers:

Dist: 18.46 mi (0:43:20)
Energy: 637.4 kJ
Cals Burn: 609.3 kcal
Climbing: 462 ft
Braking: 0.0 kJ (0.0%)

.................Min...Avg...Max
Power.........0...245.1....832 W
Aero...........0...140.4....533 W
Rolling......29.....63.8......84 W
Speed.......11.7..25.6....33.8 mi/h
Wind..........3.3...18.3...33.0 mi/h
Elev...........803....823....834 ft
Slope....... -4.0...-0.01....3.8 %
Caden...........1....82.5...119 rpm
HR............112...174.9...187 bpm

Normalized Power: 289W IF:0.96 TSS:66

CdA: 0.325 m^2; Crr: 0.0065

169 lbs; 7/1/2012 3:36 PM

103 degF; 1011 mbar

Ridge screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 06:16 PM
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #24263
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,901
Well, this past week the family and my in-laws went up to Angel Fire, NM for some relaxation and relief from the Texas heat and humidity. While there, we looked at some trail maps and myself and my father-in-law figured we could tackle the South Boundary Trail from a trailhead outside AF over the mountain, and then down to Taos. Right at 20 miles. We finished, but it took 7 hours, and I was more spent then I have ever been (totally my fault, 3 bottles of water was not enough, along with the fact that I am not in shape for that kind of ride and at that altitude). That said, I am rather proud of myself for finishing that brutal (for me) trail.

All that said, it has rekindled my desire to ride MTBs. Not for competition, but for enjoyment and exercise. My local bike shop has a Trek Marlin 29er that I think I would like. The bikes we rented in Taos were Treks and I liked the way they felt, but they were 26 inch tires vs the 29er that the Marlin is. I do not want to spend a ton of money on a bike, and this one looks like one that would allow me do hit the trails around my house, and get into the sport at a reasonable price.

So, after reading through so many of the pages in this thread, do any of y'all have any experience with this bike? It gets pretty good reviews online, but I trust the opinions here more. Oh, and what's the best way to negotiate for a bike, or is that a taboo thing to do?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #24264
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, this past week the family and my in-laws went up to Angel Fire, NM for some relaxation and relief from the Texas heat and humidity. While there, we looked at some trail maps and myself and my father-in-law figured we could tackle the South Boundary Trail from a trailhead outside AF over the mountain, and then down to Taos. Right at 20 miles. We finished, but it took 7 hours, and I was more spent then I have ever been (totally my fault, 3 bottles of water was not enough, along with the fact that I am not in shape for that kind of ride and at that altitude). That said, I am rather proud of myself for finishing that brutal (for me) trail.

All that said, it has rekindled my desire to ride MTBs. Not for competition, but for enjoyment and exercise. My local bike shop has a Trek Marlin 29er that I think I would like. The bikes we rented in Taos were Treks and I liked the way they felt, but they were 26 inch tires vs the 29er that the Marlin is. I do not want to spend a ton of money on a bike, and this one looks like one that would allow me do hit the trails around my house, and get into the sport at a reasonable price.

So, after reading through so many of the pages in this thread, do any of y'all have any experience with this bike? It gets pretty good reviews online, but I trust the opinions here more. Oh, and what's the best way to negotiate for a bike, or is that a taboo thing to do?
Whatever price point you are trying to hit, 29er is definitely the way to go. The pros of a 29er in comparison to a 26 far outweigh any price differences. I don't have any experience with the Marlin line up of bikes other than to say the only place I've seen them locally is in REI. I have never seen one on the trails around my parts. What is your budget? Knowing that would help these guys offer more accurate suggestions. I built up my Soma Juice about 2 years ago for around $1200 complete. It could have been done a bit cheaper, but there are some components that are just worth the upgrade in the long run for ease of maintenance.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 AM   #24265
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
So I changed my mind again re: 26ers vs. 29ers

Yesterday I spent four hours skillz training at Santos. This time I decided to take my 29er for a change of pace. My expectation was that it would be harder to thread through the technical portions of the Red trails, but it actually felt easier than it did on my 26er. It did particularly well on the uphill rock gardens, which always seem to snag my front wheel. This time I made it all the way through without having to put a foot down.

I decided to have a beer afterwards to celebrate my victory. Unfortunately I happened to pick what is surely the worst beer I've ever tasted -- some dreadful concoction called 'Swamp Ape', made in Melbourne, FL. One swig of that horrible brew was all I could stand -- the rest of it went down the drain. I mention this only as a public service to other riders. If you see a bottle of this stuff somewhere, don't come anywhere near it.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #24266
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yesterday I spent four hours skillz training at Santos. This time I decided to take my 29er for a change of pace. My expectation was that it would be harder to thread through the technical portions of the Red trails, but it actually felt easier than it did on my 26er. It did particularly well on the uphill rock gardens, which always seem to snag my front wheel. This time I made it all the way through without having to put a foot down.
Which rock garden in Santos... there are so many that I have donated blood to; most of them on the vortex side. Although Ant hill has claimed blood a few times as well.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #24267
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Which rock garden in Santos... there are so many that I have donated blood to; most of them on the vortex side. Although Ant hill has claimed blood a few times as well.
The one that gives me the most trouble is located on one steep uphill climb on the Sink Hole trail. I think the credit for this goes to my 29er, which is far less wheelie prone. My 26er always lofts the front wheel on steep uphill climbs, making it impossible to steer. If I slow my pedaling speed to bring the front wheel down, I lose my momentum and get stuck between the rocks.

That steep rocky descent from the top of Ant Hill is a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen. I'm surprised I made it through alive.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #24268
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Whatever price point you are trying to hit, 29er is definitely the way to go. The pros of a 29er in comparison to a 26 far outweigh any price differences. I don't have any experience with the Marlin line up of bikes other than to say the only place I've seen them locally is in REI. I have never seen one on the trails around my parts. What is your budget? Knowing that would help these guys offer more accurate suggestions. I built up my Soma Juice about 2 years ago for around $1200 complete. It could have been done a bit cheaper, but there are some components that are just worth the upgrade in the long run for ease of maintenance.
I hear that most people are going 29er now. The local Trek shop doesn't even carry the 26" models! They will order them though if that is what you want. My price point is about $6-700. I know, its a low starting point, but the Marlin frame is the same they use on some of the more expensive bikes, so it is upgradable once I figure out what needs upgrading to better suit me. Also, I went in to look at it this past Saturday and was told not to buy it because there is a trek sale starting July 3 (tomorrow)! If they knock the price down at least 10% from the current $680 MSRP that would be great for me!

I do live in a rather small, medium sized city. We only have two bike shops, one that carries Specialized, the other Trek. The Trek one is closer to my house, and they carry a lot of MTBs. The Specialized dealer never has any MTBs on display when I go in, so I wonder how much they actually care for that business??? For those reasons, I have been looking at Trek more so than other brands. I am not opposed to something different though.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #24269
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I hear that most people are going 29er now. The local Trek shop doesn't even carry the 26" models! They will order them though if that is what you want. My price point is about $6-700. I know, its a low starting point, but the Marlin frame is the same they use on some of the more expensive bikes, so it is upgradable once I figure out what needs upgrading to better suit me. Also, I went in to look at it this past Saturday and was told not to buy it because there is a trek sale starting July 3 (tomorrow)! If they knock the price down at least 10% from the current $680 MSRP that would be great for me!

I do live in a rather small, medium sized city. We only have two bike shops, one that carries Specialized, the other Trek. The Trek one is closer to my house, and they carry a lot of MTBs. The Specialized dealer never has any MTBs on display when I go in, so I wonder how much they actually care for that business??? For those reasons, I have been looking at Trek more so than other brands. I am not opposed to something different though.
Perhaps CL? With your proximity to Dallas, there would have to be some deals on garage queen 29ers that need a new owner to give them some love. Obviously, you should also figure out what size frame will fit you. This is a good start.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/bik/3112512112.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/bik/3111656322.html

If you can swing a little extra and it fits you, I would jump all over this one:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/bik/3099227855.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/3103250112.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/bik/3083806440.html
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #24270
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

I decided to have a beer afterwards to celebrate my victory. Unfortunately I happened to pick what is surely the worst beer I've ever tasted -- some dreadful concoction called 'Swamp Ape', made in Melbourne, FL. One swig of that horrible brew was all I could stand -- the rest of it went down the drain. I mention this only as a public service to other riders. If you see a bottle of this stuff somewhere, don't come anywhere near it.

You've got to be more specific as to why you didn't like it. Its an IPA, so its got a specific taste profile its looking for. Did it not hit the hoppy profile? Is it skunky? What specifically didn't you like?

Me? I'm a fan of Sierra Nevada, so hoppy isn't a problem.

Spent 90-ish min on the road. Splain to me why someone HAS to squeeze between me and the pickup coming up on us? Can't wait another 30sec to make a safe pass?!

I haven't ridden but one 29er off-road, so don't have any comparison, but I HAVE ridden my cross bike off-road lots. Except for having to watch for bottoming out on the 34c tires, it works really really well.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: