ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #24316
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
buncha hooligans... don't y'all have bikes to ride?

Still training and racing like mad 5-6 days per week with periodization and intervals from my coach. At the upper level of regional Cat 3 racing and nudging Cat 2 but probably won't gather quite enough points this year. Just rode a double century last Saturday from Greensboro, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC with 6 others and we managed to maintain a 20mph pace with a rotating pace line. Heading to Boone tomorrow for the annual Blood, Sweat and Gears mountain century. Really hoping to break the 5:30 mark on it this year. Hope y'all are getting in some solid riding and no whammies.
Hey it's Ridge, I thought you were abducted by aliens or something.Hows the racing going this year. as a Cat 3?

Yes, riding a lot by my standards. I didn't ride or do anything all winter and I do mean nothing , Fatter and slower, but riding.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 02:13 AM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #24317
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 7,038
Got the word this morning that the program I was on is stopped, No more OT. So, I finished up what I had cooking and came home for a ride,

Man the on shore wind has been brutal. Beat me like a rented mule on the way out. I did manage to get some pace going on the way back but man I was spent on the hill.

So, with nothing in the pipe I decided to take tomorrow and Monday off. My own little summer start up stay-cation. And I plan on riding.

The weather is perfect hot in the afternoon but cool in the shade. As soon as the sun dips toward Catalina the air up here cools and it is perfect.

The tape:


Oh and fifteen minutes into the ride I got stung on the head by another damned bee. What did I ever do to the stupid bee? He's the dumass that flew into my helmet and got pissed off.
__________________
...Dick
" It's not traction control, it's talent compensation" - Mark
2010 KTM 990 Adventure R
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 08:21 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #24318
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Chasing my tail
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Hey it's Ridge, I thought you were abducted by aliens or something.Hows the racing going this year. as a Cat 3?

Yes, riding a lot by my standards. I didn't ride or do anything all winter and I do mean nothing , Fatter and slower, but riding.
Racing Cat 3 for a well-established and bigger team has made such a huge impact on my tactical knowledge. No longer am I scrambling and fighting to make my way up front of the peloton. I've been much more aggressive in attacking and establishing breakaways in both RR and crits. The security of knowing there is a team that is strong enough to control the pace and willing to work for me when I can get away from the pack is priceless. I sacrificed a lot of my early season results to help a couple of teammates get their upgrade points in, but now I get to shine and put rubber to the road. Doing that established a lot of respect from the rest of the team and they know I will work just as hard for them as they will for me.

The local racing calendar has taken a bit of a hit as a few of the omnium weekends have been cancelled, or put on hold. I'm guessing due to an economic hit. July and August look to be filled though, so right back into the maelstrom. I did buy a cross bike this year, so watch out GUMMEE... I picked up a full Ultegra Vassago Fisticuff and I'm loving it. I'd like to swap out the Ultegra for SRAM Apex, but that's a project for the winter.

Good to hear you guys are still riding. I should make it over to the Farmer's market ride again soon.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #24319
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,251
Killer deal going here. I'd love to have it.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #24320
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,263
Bluhduh No more drops for me.

Since I had the day off and the weekend weather prediction was for rain, I headed out to my favorite local trail to do what little riding I could. One part of the trail features a ledge with a 2 foot drop. I always go around it, but I was feeling confident this morning so I thought I'd give it a go. I got up to speed and sailed off the drop, landing hard on my front wheel and was catapulted over the handlebars. My chest and face hit the ground first. Fortunately the only damage to me was a bloody nose and a scraped knee. I think my upper lip is starting to swell up a bit, but fortunately my teeth are intact. Not quite sure what went wrong, but I'll be avoiding any drops I find on the trails in future.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #24321
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Killer deal going here. I'd love to have it.
great deal for someone looking for touring bike that is ready to go. Hell the racks and bags are worth $650.00 alone.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #24322
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Racing Cat 3 for a well-established and bigger team has made such a huge impact on my tactical knowledge. No longer am I scrambling and fighting to make my way up front of the peloton. I've been much more aggressive in attacking and establishing breakaways in both RR and crits. The security of knowing there is a team that is strong enough to control the pace and willing to work for me when I can get away from the pack is priceless. I sacrificed a lot of my early season results to help a couple of teammates get their upgrade points in, but now I get to shine and put rubber to the road. Doing that established a lot of respect from the rest of the team and they know I will work just as hard for them as they will for me.

The local racing calendar has taken a bit of a hit as a few of the omnium weekends have been cancelled, or put on hold. I'm guessing due to an economic hit. July and August look to be filled though, so right back into the maelstrom. I did buy a cross bike this year, so watch out GUMMEE... I picked up a full Ultegra Vassago Fisticuff and I'm loving it. I'd like to swap out the Ultegra for SRAM Apex, but that's a project for the winter.

Good to hear you guys are still riding. I should make it over to the Farmer's market ride again soon.
I'm glad you changed teams,it was a good team to start racing with. racing freelace as a Cat 5, and at 4 is fine, but the upper Cats, you really need two or three good teammates.

Sure come on out to the Farmer's Market ride and kill them I've been riding with the older guys that leave before the Big Dogs. I can't hang with those guys. Usually, and it's time I stop fooling my self into thinking I can.I get a soild workout,without getting dropped on second or third burst of speed.Or when you say " I'll go up and help with the pace" ,and then were hitting 35 on the flats.


Good Luck with your weekend mountain rec ride,AKA Boone Sufferfest. I hope you can break your 5:30.
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 01:39 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #24323
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Since I had the day off and the weekend weather prediction was for rain, I headed out to my favorite local trail to do what little riding I could. One part of the trail features a ledge with a 2 foot drop. I always go around it, but I was feeling confident this morning so I thought I'd give it a go. I got up to speed and sailed off the drop, landing hard on my front wheel and was catapulted over the handlebars. My chest and face hit the ground first. Fortunately the only damage to me was a bloody nose and a scraped knee. I think my upper lip is starting to swell up a bit, but fortunately my teeth are intact. Not quite sure what went wrong, but I'll be avoiding any drops I find on the trails in future.
At least you gave it a go!!

I'm covered in scars from crashing, some were epics and others were just simply embarrassing. Having a good wheelie drop in your tool bag is a good thing to keep trying to get. Keep it up.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #24324
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
At least you gave it a go!!

I'm covered in scars from crashing, some were epics and others were just simply embarrassing. Having a good wheelie drop in your tool bag is a good thing to keep trying to get. Keep it up.
Just talked to another rider who knows that trail very well. He says I should have dropped my seat post and gotten my ass way over the rear wheel, which would have prevented the endo. I'll have to give that a try next time. He also recommended I wear a full face helmet from now on.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #24325
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just talked to another rider who knows that trail very well. He says I should have dropped my seat post and gotten my ass way over the rear wheel, which would have prevented the endo. I'll have to give that a try next time. He also recommended I wear a full face helmet from now on.
A full face is probably a good idea, considering your recent history! I gotta give you credit, for even getting on a mountain bike, after breaking your hip. You don't have to get your ass way behind the seat. You have to pull the front up as you go off the drop, ensuring you land on your back wheel. I started ridiing dirt bikes at age 12, so the transition to mountain bikes at 32 wasn'r that tough. If you don't have a dirt bike background, I recommend wearing all the protective gear you can fit on your body. Mountain biking is great fun, when you can complete a day without injuring yourself! Good luck.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #24326
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
blackfriar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 209
I went out this afternoon and before I left I checked the radar. Didn't look too bad, but after I got about 15 miles south it was very dark to the north. I started back and had the wind behind me. It looked like the storm would all blow east, but the wind changed and I was stuck out in a miserable thunderstorm. Wind and hail for about 20 minutes. I waited under a tree and then sloshed home. My cell phone is in the bag of rice again.
__________________
1966 Honda CL 160 sold
1998 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200C sold
2004 HD Lowrider
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #24327
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
A full face is probably a good idea, considering your recent history! I gotta give you credit, for even getting on a mountain bike, after breaking your hip. You don't have to get your ass way behind the seat. You have to pull the front up as you go off the drop, ensuring you land on your back wheel. I started ridiing dirt bikes at age 12, so the transition to mountain bikes at 32 wasn'r that tough. If you don't have a dirt bike background, I recommend wearing all the protective gear you can fit on your body. Mountain biking is great fun, when you can complete a day without injuring yourself! Good luck.
Feh, this is only my second fall after traveling hundreds of miles on dirt trails. Dirt is a lot more forgiving than hard, abrasive, asphalt, and as long as I avoid drops, there isn't much else to worry about. Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #24328
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Feh, this is only my second fall after traveling hundreds of miles on dirt trails. Dirt is a lot more forgiving than hard, abrasive, asphalt, and as long as I avoid drops, there isn't much else to worry about. Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.

It aint that easy, sorry to say... You are going to find out how steep the learning curve is, even if you don't take on the trails tha have a bump or two. You can face plant in any number of scenarios's. The key to feeling comfortable is to test yourself over terrain you feel uncomfortable on. Wear your gear..

And I'm going to disagree on the dirt being more forgiving thing... Come ride up here in New England. You will definitely become a better rider trying to navigate the Rock Gardens we have here. You have a lot to learn, Aurelius

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 09:09 PM
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #24329
barnyard
Verbal tactician
 
barnyard's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: central Mn
Oddometer: 10,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.
You might consider a mouthguard if you do not want to do a full face helmet. I wear a light one during enduros and if I am riding with faster riders.
__________________
all around good guy
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #24330
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Feh, this is only my second fall after traveling hundreds of miles on dirt trails. Dirt is a lot more forgiving than hard, abrasive, asphalt, and as long as I avoid drops, there isn't much else to worry about. Shin and knee pads are already on order, and I plan to scope out some full face helmets tomorrow.
One more quick note on FF helmets.

Find one that vents WELL. I have a Troy Lee Designs D2 and it is fine, but I would guess it would melt your brain in FLA. I have heard the D3 has better flow than the D2. I use mine for DJ so I am either moving quite fast, or not (resting).
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014