Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #24421
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Thanks guys! The front just felt too squishy. And yes, the trails around here are mostly packed organic matter, with a lot of roots for good measure. Not a lot of rocks, but some here and there. I'll go up a few psi next time out and see how I like that. I am guessing they shouldn't be so full of air that they don't bounce some and take some of the work off the front fork? They have tubes as well, not tubeless.
Bring a pump and try a few different pressures on the trail. The biggest hit of the day should almost but not quite bottom out the tire (as well as the suspension)

M
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #24422
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Awesome!
My butt hurts just thinking about that. Very, very cool.
Now, go make the jersey stinky, and hang it under glass in a shadow box on the wall, with a couple of worn out tires and a tired saddle.
Pheh - I ride a "vélo couché" so the butt pain is literally non-existent. Legs, arms, etc still get sore - that's impossible to avoid no matter what you pedal for more than a day!

Still, according to my wife, I can stink up a jersey pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words though!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #24423
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Practice bringing the bike down with the brake until it becomes second nature, you'll never loop again.
Yabbut, to bring it back down, I first have to bring it up. And then...
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #24424
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
TT bike and helmet and own that bitch.
I like the way you think!

Kind of feel like a kid who got something he wasn't expecting for christmas.

Anyone have any thoughts on decent tt bikes for the money?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #24425
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,539
Quick question. How long should a set of tires last on a road bike? I have 2K miles on this set. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I've gotten a few flats in the past month or so. Is it time to change tires?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #24426
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Quick question. How long should a set of tires last on a road bike? I have 2K miles on this set. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I've gotten a few flats in the past month or so. Is it time to change tires?
I'm sure it varies, but on my first 'real' bike they lasted at least 5K with no punctures.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #24427
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

Depends on the type of tire, the size of the tire, the typical riding surface and the total weight the tire is carrying.

I'm a pretty big guy and I tend to ride on crappy streets.

Running on 700x23 Hutchinson Fusion3's I could get about 1200 miles out of a set. The last 200, I'd swap the front and rear as well as flip the rotation. The rear would start to flatten out around 800mi and by 1000, it was square.

I'm currently on Gatorskins in 700x25 and they lasted a _bit_ longer. I flipped them at about 1000 miles and I could still get some more miles out of them, but I'm going to pull them in the next few weeks since they're getting a bit slippy when I descend or stop quickly.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #24428
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Depends on the type of tire, the size of the tire, the typical riding surface and the total weight the tire is carrying.

I'm a pretty big guy and I tend to ride on crappy streets.

Running on 700x23 Hutchinson Fusion3's I could get about 1200 miles out of a set. The last 200, I'd swap the front and rear as well as flip the rotation. The rear would start to flatten out around 800mi and by 1000, it was square.

I'm currently on Gatorskins in 700x25 and they lasted a _bit_ longer. I flipped them at about 1000 miles and I could still get some more miles out of them, but I'm going to pull them in the next few weeks since they're getting a bit slippy when I descend or stop quickly.

That's good to know about the fusion 3's. I've had mine on for around 400 miles. I weigh 175, and was planning to swap ther rear to the front around 1000 miles. I'll experiment with a couple of sets and see how to get the best wear. Why did you go back to tubes? I love the Tubeless ride.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #24429
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,775
Silly question that I am hoping someone can help/answer. I have this season just taken up cycling and have developed what appears to be tennis elbow? I bought my bike second hand, so I was never professionally fitted, nor did I realize how important that would be. I am looking at possibly an adjustable stem to lessen the weight on my arms, at least until my core strengthens a bit? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Currently I am riding a 58cm Cannondale CAAD9 and I am 6'1 with a 34ish inseam. The pain I have in my elbows is more then bothersome, it has become debilitating.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #24430
Scurley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I am looking at possibly an adjustable stem to lessen the weight on my arms, at least until my core strengthens a bit? Does anyone have any recommendations?
Yeah, get fitted. That will give you an idea of what you need. Many shops will do a basic fitting for no charge.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #24431
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Wheels

Any of you guys build your own wheels?

I have trued many of wheels back in the day but have never built a set from scratch. Just started reading some material on calculating spoke size, proper dishing technique, et al. and have a few questions.

What is "bedding" a new wheel and its importance?

What is your favorite or must read resource for wheel building?

If you don't build your own wheels, who do you use?

Would it be insane to try a maiden build using high end hubs/hoops or should I get some junk to practice on?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #24432
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Gummee should be along in a trice to give actual expert advice.

Wheel-building isn't rocket surgery, but you do have to be careful & patient. Really, patience is the biggest thing. I built the front wheel of my racing bike, a low-spoke count deep-rim DT swiss laced out from a mavic cosmos hub.

The only real specialty tool that I used was a spoke wrench, although I think a tensionometer would have been nice. I laced it up, trued it as best I could, took it for a test ride, and then had a pro shop look at it. They said I did a pretty good job (and this was before I had paid them. ). Since I was using high end parts, and there were only 24 (I think) spokes, they ended up re-tensioning the spokes with their tensionometer, which is what I wanted.

Lace it up, true it, ride it a couple times, THEN RE-TRUE IT.

And post pics.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #24433
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
I've built several sets of wheels. The first was under the tutelage of an experienced wheelbuilder in a class at a local shop. The rest were all on my own.

It's not rocket surgery, but I'm glad I took the class. Once you've seen it done it's mostly straightforward, but there are some details around the lacing and tensioning / truing that are hard to communicate with text and pictures alone. Watching someone do it and then having them offer guidance as I was doing my own build was really helpful.

For the subsequent builds I've read through Sheldon Brown's guide to refresh my memory on the steps and details.

Having a decent truing stand and a tensiometer are really nice; An expert can probably build a good wheel without them, but for a novice or hobbyist it's really helpful to be able to take precise, objective measurements of the true and tension state of the wheel.

It's a neat skill to have. It's cool to start with a pile of flimsy bits of metal and end up with this strong rigid structure. It's incredibly satisfying to ride wheels you've built yourself.

I do the thing where you place the axle of the wheel on the floor and press down on the rim at various points. You're not really 'bedding' the spokes -- the pings you get are when twisted spokes on the floor side untwist as they're temporarily de-tensioned. I also stress-relieve the spokes by using a a wrench handle to twist them around each other, as Sheldon describes.

Using these techniques, I've found the wheels I build to stay true from the beginning -- I check them after a few rides, and they're as dead on and true as when I built them.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #24434
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,685
Quote:

I have trued many of wheels back in the day but have never built a set from scratch. Just started reading some material on calculating spoke size, proper dishing technique, et al. and have a few questions.

What is "bedding" a new wheel and its importance?

What is your favorite or must read resource for wheel building?

If you don't build your own wheels, who do you use?

Would it be insane to try a maiden build using high end hubs/hoops or should I get some junk to practice on?

The one by Jobst BRant is the bible on wheel building
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #24435
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 584
Quote:

i don't think high end rims or hubs will have much effect, but i would say using either ultralight butted or aero spokes might add a little frustration to the process- wind up, having to hold the bladed ones... using good 14ga spokes and nice parts will make it easier to concentrate on the basics. maybe commuting/recreational wheels the first time...;-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: