User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #24496
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,378
I'll be riding in RAGBRAI again this year. Anyone else going that I can catch a beer with one day?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #24497
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Very cool. Always nice to see techniques in practice by those who can relay the steps to others.
The guy teaching the class was very good at identifying bad technique that no one had spotted previously. For instance, despite the fact that I was using the proper posture for hill climbing, I couldn't keep the front wheel down on steep hills, which made steering impossible and in many cases nearly resulted in flipping the bike over backward. Most experienced riders thought I was just in the wrong gear, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that I was unwittingly pulling the handlebars toward my chest with every pedal stroke, which had the effect of lifting the front wheel. The other thing I was doing wrong was causing massive changes in torque by standing on the pedals and allowing my full 180 lb weight to come down on them as soon as they hit the 10 O'clock position. The predictable result of pedaling uphill that way was either a loss of traction at the rear wheel, or the front end coming up. By keeping some downward pressure on the opposite pedal, I was able to even out the torque spikes and keep the front wheel planted. It all seemed so obvious after he pointed these things out that it made me wonder why it hadn't occurred to me before.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #24498
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I rode the 80K route on the Titletown Bike Tour this morning. It's my first organized ride in about 25 years and had a great time. The ride has been around for years so it is really well-run.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #24499
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I'll be riding in RAGBRAI again this year. Anyone else going that I can catch a beer with one day?

Snowman88 and I will be attending the great ride this year... so 2nd and third rounds on him you riding with a team or charter?

I wish I knew how to multi quote....

I am heading up in an RV with 4 other riders. This will be my fourth RAGBRAI, the first three were in 85, 86, and 87.

Be on the look out for a tall guy that looks like he is about to have a stroke. I plan on drinking every night where ever the bands are playing. 502.554.8323 Mike
TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #24500
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallRacing View Post
Snowman88 and I will be attending the great ride this year... so 2nd and third rounds on him you riding with a team or charter?

I am heading up in an RV with 4 other riders. This will be my fourth RAGBRAI, the first three were in 85, 86, and 87.

Be on the look out for a tall guy that looks like he is about to have a stroke. I plan on drinking every night where ever the bands are playing. 502.554.8323 Mike
To multiquote just hit the little speech bubbles (right next to "quote") in the first (few) posts you want to quote, then hit "quote" on the final post you'll be quoting.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #24501
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,509
I woosed out on hill riding today. I rode back down to the beach.
A semi ugly ride in that by the time I got to the beach my legs were beginning to feel the work. I was pretty sure I was going to limp back home.
Instead I got to talking to another older guy there on a Roubaix and we ended up riding back together and talking almost the whole way. He was riding about 20 mph most of the time so to stay side by side I had to ride at that pace. That was tough. Fortunatly we both didn't miind stopping and resting.

The late start lead to riding back from the beach in the heat. So, why not add insult to injury and ride up the steep hill?
Sure I'm in, so tat's what I did. There was a point there where I was just about ready to pull over and sit on the curb for a few. Didn't and got back home.

This weekend put me over 1,000 for my year.

And 108 and change for the weekend.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #24502
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallRacing View Post

Riding with my local club/team. We're going as team trunk monkey this year. We'll be in a white 15 passenger van towing a red trailer with Cycles de Oro plastered all over it. We should be arriving early Saturday morning. Will try and ping you then. Mine is 919.328.0265 James
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #24503
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The guy teaching the class was very good at identifying bad technique that no one had spotted previously. For instance, despite the fact that I was using the proper posture for hill climbing, I couldn't keep the front wheel down on steep hills, which made steering impossible and in many cases nearly resulted in flipping the bike over backward. Most experienced riders thought I was just in the wrong gear, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that I was unwittingly pulling the handlebars toward my chest with every pedal stroke, which had the effect of lifting the front wheel. The other thing I was doing wrong was causing massive changes in torque by standing on the pedals and allowing my full 180 lb weight to come down on them as soon as they hit the 10 O'clock position. The predictable result of pedaling uphill that way was either a loss of traction at the rear wheel, or the front end coming up. By keeping some downward pressure on the opposite pedal, I was able to even out the torque spikes and keep the front wheel planted. It all seemed so obvious after he pointed these things out that it made me wonder why it hadn't occurred to me before.
Like I said earlier: row your bike back and down into the hill when it gets steep.

Works standing too.

Managed to fall down a rocky hill yesterday out laying trail. I've got bruises that have bruises today.

M
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #24504
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
Back on the horse. Recovering from a middle ear infection with punctured ear drum. How it happened I have no idea. The antibiotics kicked my arse.

Thankfully two friends showed early yesterday morning and got me out for a couple hour ride around St Pete. Felt good . Shake down run after swapping to compact crank on the Pistola. So far love it.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #24505
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Like I said earlier: row your bike back and down into the hill when it gets steep.

Works standing too.

Managed to fall down a rocky hill yesterday out laying trail. I've got bruises that have bruises today.

M
Mountain biking has its risks. I finally figured out how to pop a wheelie yesterday and fell off the back. I'm gonna wait until my elbow pads and full face helmet arrive before trying it again.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #24506
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Heard an interesting story the other day...

A local rider built himself a custom downhill bike 12 years ago, which was promptly stolen. Last week while surfing e-Bay, he saw the very same bike offered for sale in California and contacted the police there. They asked him how he could prove that it was in fact the very same bike he built 12 years ago. He told them that inside the bottom bracket he'd carved a smiley face symbol into the metal. The cops confiscated the bike from its current owner, took it apart, and found the smiley face, just where he said it would be.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #24507
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Finally got the chance to put myself up against the clock for the first time ever. On a team for a multi-sport relay race; I was the road biker.

Stage 3 was a 13 mile TT; plenty of undulations and some cross winds to boot. 91 teams and I was 4th fastest! did it in 34.46, including transfer times. Worked out to a 25 mph average. First place was at 31:20 and I was the fastest person with hairy legs, no aero bars, no skin suit, and no aero helmet. Completely shocked by my result and feeling really pleased with myself.

Stage 5 was a 9.8 mile TT and this one had more up than down and also had a 2.5 dead flat stretch with a nice 10-12 mph headwind. I did that one in 26.42, or 24.6 mph and I was 5th overall and missed 4th by 9 sec.

Starting to think I might have to race a bit more! And some clamp on aero bars and a slippery helmet may be in my future. Or maybe a TT bike.....hmmm......
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #24508
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
Finally got the chance to put myself up against the clock for the first time ever. On a team for a multi-sport relay race; I was the road biker.

Stage 3 was a 13 mile TT; plenty of undulations and some cross winds to boot. 91 teams and I was 4th fastest! did it in 34.46, including transfer times. Worked out to a 25 mph average. First place was at 31:20 and I was the fastest person with hairy legs, no aero bars, no skin suit, and no aero helmet. Completely shocked by my result and feeling really pleased with myself.

Stage 5 was a 9.8 mile TT and this one had more up than down and also had a 2.5 dead flat stretch with a nice 10-12 mph headwind. I did that one in 26.42, or 24.6 mph and I was 5th overall and missed 4th by 9 sec.

Starting to think I might have to race a bit more! And some clamp on aero bars and a slippery helmet may be in my future. Or maybe a TT bike.....hmmm......
TT bike and helmet and own that bitch.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #24509
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

Works standing too.

M
Sit there, soft hands, and spin.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #24510
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Not a lot of long rides for me, lately; If I've got more than a couple of consecutive hours free for 2-wheeled fun, I'm usually on the motorcycle. And in the 4 months since I got to Cali, I've been on a mountain bike twice.

But I have been getting out for shorter rides on the road bike two or three times a week. It's pretty cool being able to step out my front door and do a 22 mile ride that includes 2000 feet of climbing and fairly varied scenery. I recently replaced the triple crank on my road bike with a compact double -- shaved a bit of weight, but more importantly raised my lowest gear, forcing me to work a bit harder but getting me up the climbs a bit faster.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: