Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #24526
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
..........randonneur! It may be my only one ever.

Here's the explanation:
In 1952, the Audax Club Parisien created an honorific recognizing randonneurs who had completed, the ACP 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k brevets within a single calendar year. This honorific is called the Super Randonneur Award. RUSA members may request a medal commemorating this accomplishment by submitting an application. RUSA collects these applications and forwards them to the ACP person responsible for Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux.
Iron butt indeed

Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #24527
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Total noob here, so I thought I would ask a question or more...

I just got back into MTBing after several years of relative inactivity. My waist line can testify to that. Anyway, today was my first ride on the new bike, and only about three miles at that. Even though I am new to this, there were still a couple of things I noticed. First, the 29er rode great vs my old bike. Almost night and day difference. That said, this bike actually fits me, the old one was hopelessly too small. On to the others... first, the suspension I noticed would top out I think is the right term. I never noticed it bottoming out when hitting bumps, but on the rebound it would overextend, I guess.

Second, tire pressures. The shop suggested 32 psi in the front, and 35 rear. The rear felt fine on the ride this afternoon, but the front felt like it wasn't enough, unless I just don't know what I am talking about and the way it felt is how it should feel

For reference, it is a 19 inch Trek Marlin, and I weigh about 210 (and I am not 6'1" , but 5'10").
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #24528
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Second, tire pressures. The shop suggested 32 psi in the front, and 35 rear. The rear felt fine on the ride this afternoon, but the front felt like it wasn't enough, unless I just don't know what I am talking about and the way it felt is how it should feel

For reference, it is a 19 inch Trek Marlin, and I weigh about 210 (and I am not 6'1" , but 5'10").
Play with pressures. Different people like different pressures. I usually go 35/38 f/r in my tires and I'm significantly lighter than you. ...but I ride in a rooty, rocky area and don't like pinch flats.

HTH

M
Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #24529
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Play with pressures. Different people like different pressures. I usually go 35/38 f/r in my tires and I'm significantly lighter than you. ...but I ride in a rooty, rocky area and don't like pinch flats.

HTH

M
Agreed, pressures in a 29er also heavily depend on if you are running clinchers vs. tubeless and the width of the tires. The 29er tires act as some of the suspension damping on rigid and hardtails. As with Gummee, I run 35/36 front and 36/38 rear depending on trail conditions. This is with clincher MAXXIS Ignitor 29x2.10 tires. My buddies that run tubeless will air all the way down to 30 or sometimes lower if on sandy trails.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #24530
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Oh yeah, I did that alright. But of course I forgot all about it at the crucial moment.

Practice bringing the bike down with the brake until it becomes second nature, you'll never loop again.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #24531
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

HTH

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Agreed, pressures in a 29er also heavily depend on if you are running clinchers vs. tubeless and the width of the tires. The 29er tires act as some of the suspension damping on rigid and hardtails. As with Gummee, I run 35/36 front and 36/38 rear depending on trail conditions. This is with clincher MAXXIS Ignitor 29x2.10 tires. My buddies that run tubeless will air all the way down to 30 or sometimes lower if on sandy trails.
Thanks guys! The front just felt too squishy. And yes, the trails around here are mostly packed organic matter, with a lot of roots for good measure. Not a lot of rocks, but some here and there. I'll go up a few psi next time out and see how I like that. I am guessing they shouldn't be so full of air that they don't bounce some and take some of the work off the front fork? They have tubes as well, not tubeless.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #24532
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,131
Thumb

Awesome!
My butt hurts just thinking about that. Very, very cool.
Now, go make the jersey stinky, and hang it under glass in a shadow box on the wall, with a couple of worn out tires and a tired saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
..........randonneur! It may be my only one ever.

Here's the explanation:
In 1952, the Audax Club Parisien created an honorific recognizing randonneurs who had completed, the ACP 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k brevets within a single calendar year. This honorific is called the Super Randonneur Award. RUSA members may request a medal commemorating this accomplishment by submitting an application. RUSA collects these applications and forwards them to the ACP person responsible for Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #24533
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Thanks guys! The front just felt too squishy. And yes, the trails around here are mostly packed organic matter, with a lot of roots for good measure. Not a lot of rocks, but some here and there. I'll go up a few psi next time out and see how I like that. I am guessing they shouldn't be so full of air that they don't bounce some and take some of the work off the front fork? They have tubes as well, not tubeless.
Bring a pump and try a few different pressures on the trail. The biggest hit of the day should almost but not quite bottom out the tire (as well as the suspension)

M
Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #24534
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Awesome!
My butt hurts just thinking about that. Very, very cool.
Now, go make the jersey stinky, and hang it under glass in a shadow box on the wall, with a couple of worn out tires and a tired saddle.
Pheh - I ride a "vélo couché" so the butt pain is literally non-existent. Legs, arms, etc still get sore - that's impossible to avoid no matter what you pedal for more than a day!

Still, according to my wife, I can stink up a jersey pretty good.

Thanks for the kind words though!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #24535
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Practice bringing the bike down with the brake until it becomes second nature, you'll never loop again.
Yabbut, to bring it back down, I first have to bring it up. And then...
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #24536
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
TT bike and helmet and own that bitch.
I like the way you think!

Kind of feel like a kid who got something he wasn't expecting for christmas.

Anyone have any thoughts on decent tt bikes for the money?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #24537
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,064
Quick question. How long should a set of tires last on a road bike? I have 2K miles on this set. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I've gotten a few flats in the past month or so. Is it time to change tires?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #24538
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Quick question. How long should a set of tires last on a road bike? I have 2K miles on this set. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I've gotten a few flats in the past month or so. Is it time to change tires?
I'm sure it varies, but on my first 'real' bike they lasted at least 5K with no punctures.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #24539
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

Depends on the type of tire, the size of the tire, the typical riding surface and the total weight the tire is carrying.

I'm a pretty big guy and I tend to ride on crappy streets.

Running on 700x23 Hutchinson Fusion3's I could get about 1200 miles out of a set. The last 200, I'd swap the front and rear as well as flip the rotation. The rear would start to flatten out around 800mi and by 1000, it was square.

I'm currently on Gatorskins in 700x25 and they lasted a _bit_ longer. I flipped them at about 1000 miles and I could still get some more miles out of them, but I'm going to pull them in the next few weeks since they're getting a bit slippy when I descend or stop quickly.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #24540
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Depends on the type of tire, the size of the tire, the typical riding surface and the total weight the tire is carrying.

I'm a pretty big guy and I tend to ride on crappy streets.

Running on 700x23 Hutchinson Fusion3's I could get about 1200 miles out of a set. The last 200, I'd swap the front and rear as well as flip the rotation. The rear would start to flatten out around 800mi and by 1000, it was square.

I'm currently on Gatorskins in 700x25 and they lasted a _bit_ longer. I flipped them at about 1000 miles and I could still get some more miles out of them, but I'm going to pull them in the next few weeks since they're getting a bit slippy when I descend or stop quickly.

That's good to know about the fusion 3's. I've had mine on for around 400 miles. I weigh 175, and was planning to swap ther rear to the front around 1000 miles. I'll experiment with a couple of sets and see how to get the best wear. Why did you go back to tubes? I love the Tubeless ride.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: