User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 509 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #24556
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
holy crap! Sorry to hear this, but thank goodness it wasn't worse.

scary...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #24557
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Wow, Pierce, it could have been much worse! Stuff like that really puts life into perspective! The metal things can be replaced. Glad that you are ok...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #24558
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,903
Glad to hear that you and the family are safe Pierce!

Today its only 96 degrees, 5 degrees cooler than the last time I rode the bike! I think I will go ride here in a bit once I leave work!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #24559
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

RIP, Hybrid :(
Graphic pic.

Glad it all worked out as well as it did.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #24560
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
sigh, my cruiser/hybrid that I built up from recycled junk and a lot of new parts got destroyed on sunday... I'd JUST switched the pedals to some BMX 'pin' pedals, which I was really happy with. it was on a hitch rack on the front of our E150 van, my wife was driving down I5 coming home from a 5 day camping trip up north, and had a blowout, lost control when she overbraked on the gravel and the trailer jackknifed, forcing her back out across the traffic lanes and into the side of a FedEx semitruck. Everyone is OK (ok, I have a busted #5 metarsal in my right foot), just wiped out the trailer, van, and bikes.

glad y'all are alright!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #24561
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
North Baltimore down to the Harbor, then over to Fell's Point & back up Broadway in East Baltimore to 25th Street & back home . There are water mains & sinkholes showing up all over the city, so traffic is upgefuct and all the drivers are po'd. It's faster right now to slice through traffic on a bicycle, but man am I tired of dodging mirrors & doors. It's like being in a really slow mosh pit with a lot of metal hippos. .
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #24562
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
so, to replace that bitsabike, I'm thinking one of these?

thats Specialized Globe Vienna, made in various versions from 2008 to 2010, I think. they have them with internal shift hubs or derailleurs (or fixies), and with disk brakes or U-brakes. now I just need to FIND one for a decent price, hah!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #24563
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Yeah ... fuel and hydration starts the night before ... then I limit myself to high intensity spurts in an hour ride.
Actually its starts the night before the night before, so a bit ride on a saturday you start fueling and drinking on Thursday night.

Makes a BIG difference - but all in moderation.

Hay Ewe
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #24564
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Good deal on a Kona Sutra.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #24565
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Riding this weekend?

Excited about tomorrow. I'll join the Phoenix Metro club's Saturday ride at 0630 but I'll get up early to ride to the ride - a novel concept for many - and have a bite of breakfast before the ride. That means the alarm will go off at 0430. (Is there a "yawn" smiilie?)

The group ride is only 37 miles. Add another ...25-30 to and from. Not a ton of miles but by the time I finish, the temps will be near 100. I hope to be home by 10:30. In my book, that's a good day!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #24566
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
mmm, good deal on a Globe, too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIALIZED-...item231f8451e0

hmmmmm. its a relatively base model but thats fine, I like swapping stuff around anyways, and likely would change it to a compact 50:34 front, different pedals, etc.

I rather liked the way I had the compact crankset setup on my hybrid that was destroyed (previous page pictures), I intentionally had centered the chainline on the 50 tooth so I could use all 8 rear gears with the 50, and only the lowest 3-4 with the 34 as a granny. unconventional perhaps, but it worked nicely for me, and the whole range of gears was usable.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #24567
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Not sure who it was that recommended them, but I just stuck Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (700x25) on my Roubaix last night for today's commute. Very nice. Thanks for the recommendation. So far, I like them. They feel a bit heavier, but I'll just have to pedal harder.

The Gatorskins were nearly dead and had gotten way too scary to leave on any longer. On Tuesday's commute, I locked up the rear during a quick stop while descending and decided those tires were coming off as soon as I got home.

The quick stop was my own fault. I was following about 15-20' behind an SUV down a hill and doing about 25mph through a twisty residential canyon road. Someone ahead of him backed out of their driveway quickly and rather than continue the move and merge onto the street, the backup driver saw oncoming traffic and stopped in the middle of the road. The SUV had to stop short and I did, too. Slightly damp road, some construction dust and VERY worn Gatorskins made for an interesting moment.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #24568
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Not sure who it was that recommended them, but I just stuck Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (700x25) on my Roubaix last night for today's commute. Very nice. Thanks for the recommendation. So far, I like them. They feel a bit heavier, but I'll just have to pedal harder.

The Gatorskins were nearly dead and had gotten way too scary to leave on any longer. On Tuesday's commute, I locked up the rear during a quick stop while descending and decided those tires were coming off as soon as I got home.

The quick stop was my own fault. I was following about 15-20' behind an SUV down a hill and doing about 25mph through a twisty residential canyon road. Someone ahead of him backed out of their driveway quickly and rather than continue the move and merge onto the street, the backup driver saw oncoming traffic and stopped in the middle of the road. The SUV had to stop short and I did, too. Slightly damp road, some construction dust and VERY worn Gatorskins made for an interesting moment.
Schwalbe seems to make great tires. If you want something a bit faster rolling, try the durano- haven't had a flat on mine, and my wife has gone through a couple sets with no flats (and that's getting 3-4k miles out of a set).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #24569
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,840
Saturday ride done

Up at 0415 and on the road at 0445. Stopped for breakfast at Ye Olde Waffle House and then met the group at a park in Tempe.

It seems to be an older group but on this particular ride, they were rolling at 22 mph. I hung around the outside of the group trying not to get pinned in too much. At one point, there were two riders off the front a bit and I went by the paceline to catch them. We were doing around 27 but a light stopped us as did the group we passed who caught us as the light changed. One guy came up and said, "that's the longest chain I've ever seen...."

We hit a convenience store at the mid point and about 15 of us started out again while . This group was doing mostly 25 or so - and I felt like going faster. I eased around them at 26 and the front rider who latched onto my rear wheel so I pushed it to 28. They slowed dropped off, one by one so I kept hammering. As usual, a traffic light slowed me up and we regrouped.

There's a scheduled stop at a Paradise Bakery but I kept going and returned home. Nice ride - a lot in the group are starting to talk to me and make me feel welcome.

No issues with cars - I don't think anyone even blew that horn at us and a few even held their positions and waived us past them at stopsigns. Large group - about 65 riders or so.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #24570
pierce
Aven'Tourer

well, I just won this bike on fleabay...

I hope the picture links.

Its a new left over floor model 2010 Specialized Globe Vienna 2 in size "L". 700c x 35 wheels, V brakes, Acera 24 speed. alloy frame, steel forks. I'll likely stick my bmx 'pin' pedals on it, as thats about the only thing that survived on my old bike. I got it for $305 + $65 shipping == $370, seems fair enough to me, they were about $490 MSRP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: