User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #24586
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I want a cross bike. My friends are doing midnight gravel grinders to avoid the heat and I want in. I get a deal on cannondale, so I'll likely go with that (105 group). I'll throw skinnies on it and use it as a road bike too. My girlfriend won't give back my 613.

If jamis still made the nova in 853 tubing, I'd buy one right this second. It even had rear rack braze-ons...man I wish I had pulled the trigger on one a few years back.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #24587
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
I want a cross bike. My friends are doing midnight gravel grinders to avoid the heat and I want in. I get a deal on cannondale, so I'll likely go with that (105 group). I'll throw skinnies on it and use it as a road bike too. My girlfriend won't give back my 613.

If jamis still made the nova in 853 tubing, I'd buy one right this second. It even had rear rack braze-ons...man I wish I had pulled the trigger on one a few years back.
right on!

I had a C'dale cross bike a few years back. It was cursed. I crashed and broke five ribs. Sold the bike a week later. It was purdy...
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #24588
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633

Thanks for the wheel building input fellas!

I've watched a few good tutorials on youtube and I think I'm going to give it a go.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #24589
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
Working out, not so much working out as just working.

But, first the good news: This past week I've slipped one notch closer to the end of my second belt. Toward the smaller end rather than off the larger end.
That is one notch away from my old custom made buffalo nickel belt. A belt my wife gave me back when I was at my racing weight. I was one notch ahead of here back at the end of January so things in that regard are looking up, or at least smaller.

This weekend I had planned to take Friday off and ride mid-morning while my wife worked from home, then I'd be back in time to take her to the airport, and get some of my chores and small projects completed. And I'd planned an all out assault on my girth with three days of good steady riding.

As I was leaving work for what would have been an early for me exit after only 10 hours I got caught by one of the other managers and let into yet another hotter than a two dollar pistol task. It's way behind and pretty high visibility having caught the eye of "The Suit" that screams.

So, I'm at the beginning of my third twelve plus hour day. trying to move the pile a little closer to the ditch. The sad part of that is of course no big hilly rides this weekend, or even flat spins back and forth on the trail. Barely a walk.

Oh, and just so I can challenge my wistful plans at recovering my lost conditioning there are gears whirring as I sit here increasing my girth that may put me off the bike through the end of the year. Of course I'm going to blame this on the world's economic collapse, global warming and possibly some bad Thai takeout and poor cable service.
Nobody moved my cheese, they moved the whole damned trap!

But, the light at the end of the tunnel may just be light instead of dark. If I do get seperated from my bicycle at least I'll have my running gear to fall back on. Also my aging Adventure will get to hove unmolested in the back corner of the castle's vast motorpool, under covers and pads rather than winding its clock ever closer to that 200,000 milestone/headstone. (less than 15,000 miles to go now)
OK, maybe boxes, garden implements and old clothes.
And the real silver lining in this cloud is that somebody else will be buying the food, place to sleep, car to drive and gas to burn so I'm down with that. There is of course a very nasty little grain of sand to be rubbed into the eye, maybe three or four. But I'll leave that until later when and if this plane touches tarmac.

I may soon become an even greater spectator of/in this thread. Or if it all goes pear-shaped I could have a load of training time on my hands.

We'll see in a few which way the hammer will fall.

Like the man said, "...sometimes you are the windshield sometimes you are the bug..."
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #24590
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Got in 3+ hours in 'heavy air' yesterday. Not quite rain, not quite cold. Wool rawks.

Did 3 x 20min cruise intervals in there. Starting on the :30s-ish. Lemme tell ya. That last 20min stretch was teh suck. On a road where I normally have a tailwind, I had a head/side wind.

I can tell you from personal experience that mo cadence = mo bettah. I was breathing hard, but the legs didn't burn till I slowed down the cadence/went up a rise. So for all y'all mashers: its always spin faster, not push harder.

...and from the 'bicycles on the road' thread in the perfect line: no idiots on the road in all 3 hours.

M
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #24591
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Still learning the biking lingo... Is this someone who is over 200 lbs (like me )???
Large Bastard Cycling Club (215 here)

Gums ... what is cold? ... can't remember.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #24592
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
New bars, tape and saddle...

The bars are Salsa Pro Moto 2s. Similar to the Cowbells I put on my Vaya, minus the flared drops. The bars made the Vaya much more comfortable and had the same effect on the Cannondale. I'm getting better with the bar wrapping, but I still have a bulge under the brake hoods. I don't notice it really when I'm riding, but it annoys me to look at it. The saddle is actually pretty comfortable. It's hard, but the shape fits me well. I guess I got lucky

Question for those who know: What would I have to do to convert the bike to compact gearing? Can I just swap chain rings? New crankset? Do I need a whole new front deraileur, too?

I took the Cannondale out for the second time this year, to try out the new set-up and I really liked it. Went 26.3 miles at 17.3 mph avg. About 1.5-2 mph faster than I usually manage on the Vaya, and I loved how light it felt going up the hills. The Vaya might not get much use again until fall...

I've been lucky to get one "real" bike ride per week, but I've been doing indoor classes two or three times a week and it's been keeping me in pretty good shape. In fact, I'm probably in better shape than I've been in for few years.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #24593
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post

Yep, I'm 215 as well. Not bad if you're 6'5" like my dad! However, at 5'10", I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so. It will come, I have been much more active lately...
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #24594
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yep, I'm 215 as well. Not bad if you're 6'5" like my dad! However, at 5'10", I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so. It will come, I have been much more active lately...
20lbs? Unless you're a body builder, at a height of only 5'10', you should weigh around 165 lbs.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #24595
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
20lbs? Unless you're a body builder, at a height of only 5'10', you should weigh around 165 lbs.
Depends ... if i lost 20 pounds i woul loose a lot of muscle mass with it. My leanest healthy weight was 180 (6'1) bur i had 13 inch arms instead of 16 for example
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #24596
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I usually do at least five laps at my favorite local trail. Today I was feeling exhausted after just two, and felt nauseous after the third, when I decided to call it quits. That's how it's been for the past two weekends with a heat index hovering above 100F. It's not just unpleasant out there, it's unhealthy. I think I'm gonna quit riding the trails for the next two months and work on my basic skills in the back yard until things cool down.
Early mornings are your friend. Although you will be clearing the spiders and their associated webs. Make sure you start hydrating the day before a ride. Minimal coffee the morning of ride seems to help a bit.

wohoo three road rides this past weekend ! Finally busted out of my couch potato funk.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #24597
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Early mornings are your friend. Although you will be clearing the spiders and their associated webs. Make sure you start hydrating the day before a ride. Minimal coffee the morning of ride seems to help a bit.

wohoo three road rides this past weekend ! Finally busted out of my couch potato funk.
Yeah ... fuel and hydration starts the night before ... then I limit myself to high intensity spurts in an hour ride.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #24598
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater View Post
Setup a auto-search on eBay, as they do pop up. There are always 3 pages of Jamis listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Question for those who know: What would I have to do to convert the bike to compact gearing? Can I just swap chain rings? New crankset? Do I need a whole new front deraileur, too?
Standard road crank (53/39) and compact crank (50/34 or 48/34) have different bolt circles; 130mm versus 110mm, respectively. You'll need a new crankset. The original derailluer will work. You'll just need to adjust it downward.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #24599
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Geez, step away from the drugs! That's a $1350 bike with a different seat and racks added.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #24600
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post

I really can't complain too much. Last winter was really mild comparatively. Spent ZERO days on my trainer(s)

I spent most of yesterday swapping wheels and cassettes around in preparation for cross season. Having one pair of wide rims is a PITA.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: