Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #24601
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Standard road crank (53/39) and compact crank (50/34 or 48/34) have different bolt circles; 130mm versus 110mm, respectively. You'll need a new crankset. The original derailluer MAY work. You'll just need to adjust it downward.
fixt

Try it and see. You may not be able to get the der down far enough to work right. Depends on the bike and der.

M
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #24602
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
20lbs? Unless you're a body builder, at a height of only 5'10', you should weigh around 165 lbs.
Yeah, according to BMI and most other measures 165 is correct. However, my senior year of high school when I was in the best shape I have ever been in (muscle wise and endurance) I was 180. My current goal is below 200. Once I hit that, we will see were I go from there. Could I be 165, sure. But that would require a lot of sacrifices in other areas of my life that I just am not willing to do right now. I would be very happy at 185 (yeah, yeah, 30 less than now; small steps...)
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #24603
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yeah, according to BMI and most other measures 165 is correct. However, my senior year of high school when I was in the best shape I have ever been in (muscle wise and endurance) I was 180. My current goal is below 200. Once I hit that, we will see were I go from there. Could I be 165, sure. But that would require a lot of sacrifices in other areas of my life that I just am not willing to do right now. I would be very happy at 185 (yeah, yeah, 30 less than now; small steps...)
Check out this local mountain biker's website: http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

Even with all that muscle on him, he only weighs 175 lbs. Something for you to shoot for.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #24604
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:

Even with all that muscle on him, he only weighs 175 lbs. Something for you to shoot for.
Definitely.

I have seen his page before, and he did what anyone can do with some work. Inspiring none-the-less since most people are unwilling to do the work
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #24605
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Definitely.

I have seen his page before, and he did what anyone can do with some work. Inspiring none-the-less since most people are unwilling to do the work
Yep, count me in as someone unwilling to do the work. 'Course, I don't want to look like that anyway.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #24606
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Wow! Good on him.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #24607
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Wow! Good on him.
This is him riding our favorite local trail. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I watched it. He sucked even more than I did my first time out there.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #24608
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
This is him riding our favorite local trail. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I watched it. He sucked even more than I did my first time out there.
So there's hope for me
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #24609
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So there's hope for me
He's a terrible rider. He once told me how he panicked on a steep downhill section on a trail we both know. He tried to save himself from crashing by grabbing a tree branch above him. Unfortunately the tree branch broke, and he ended up tumbling all the way down the hill.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #24610
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Wow.

I watched part of the video, and he comes to one point and nearly goes flying into the brackish water. He says in the comments about that time that it was a difficult turn. On camera it looked pretty straight to me
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #24611
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow.

I watched part of the video, and he comes to one point and nearly goes flying into the brackish water. He says in the comments about that time that it was a difficult turn. On camera it looked pretty straight to me
I know! He's a terrible rider. I rode that trail when I was a total n00b and didn't crash or run off the trail even once. The video below is his worst faceplant on that same trail, which resulted in a trip to the emergency room.

Last week I gave him the number of a professional trainer for some lessons. I also encouraged him to buy a full face helmet as some body armor, which he says he will.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #24612
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Rode over to a buddy's house to meet him to go for a ride. Rode the ride then rode home. 4:06 on the bike.

I'm tired.

90min easy tomorrow, then the Wed ride.

Forgot the most interesting part: So there I was... going down this hill on the way to 17 on Cannonball Gate... Come around this corner and there's DEER! Eeek! There's a fawn off on the left side of the road, mom over there in the brush, but most important:

A FAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!

Aw h-ll, I really hope the thing goes one direction or the other! I really really don't want to t-bone a fawn at 30+!

Coupla tries to get traction and its off to the right side of the road

Whew!

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 07:05 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #24613
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Dammit. Thanks to Gummee I now find there's an entire forum on this site I didn't know about, and YET ANOTHER ONGOING THREAD I need to participate in. Thanks, Gummee, I didn't have anything ELSE to do!

Anyway, here's part of a post I made in another thread on this forum:

My ride from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202390325

I got to Leadville, CO, last Thursday. Did a couple paved rides on Thursday and Friday, did an easy run on Saturday, then did this yesterday:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202078831

The summary is 70 total miles over two days, all of it above 9k feet with about 8800' of total gain. The kicker? I'm from NC and never rode at this kind of altitude before. But I'm here for the next three weeks training for the Leadville Trail 100 MTB race, and you can see more about it on my blog if you care. I'll have another blog post tonight or tomorrow about the Carmichael camp that yesterday and today's ride were a part of.

Likely going to head over to Winter Park this weekend to watch some of the slopestyle stuff they have going on, and traveling on my BMW G650X that I brought with me. A buddy is flying in and I have his KLR650 waiting here for him. So we'll spend some time at 14k feet via motor power, too!

--Donnie
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #24614
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

@Donnie: don't go read the 'dear bicyclists' thread in Jo Momma.

I don't let it get to me, but it does raise my blood pressure a little thinking that MC riders (who *should* understand the nature of doing something 'dangerous' in traffic) are being *that* idiotic

M
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #24615
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@Donnie: don't go read the 'dear bicyclists' thread in Jo Momma.

I don't let it get to me, but it does raise my blood pressure a little thinking that MC riders (who *should* understand the nature of doing something 'dangerous' in traffic) are being *that* idiotic
Agreed. This world is a much better place when we agree to share nicely.

I choose to NOT ride on the road very often because of safety. But heck, I choose to not ride a motorcycle on the road NEARLY as often as I'd like for the same reason. And it's not because *I* am not safe, believe you me...

--Donnie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: