Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #24601
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strava seems to be the software of choice on every cycling forum I've visited. There are two local trails where riders constantly post their best lap times using Strava. I've tried installing it on my cell phone, but for some reason it won't download.
I tried a couple different programs, but I've been very happy with Strava. First on my iPhone, then on my Android Evo and now I upload from my Garmin Edge 500. (Actually went back to the Android version while my Garmin was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago.)

I don't use it to compete with others (well, maybe against a buddy or two), but using segments to track my own fitness over the same stretch of road has been great. In the last year, I've pulled about 4 minutes off one of my commute climbs and about 3 off the other. Any more will require some decent weight loss. I'm still a big, heavy turd.

I don't use the Pro/paid version but thought about going that route to support them. I had an error where a ride wouldn't manually upload properly and sent them an email. Within an hour, I had a reply and they fixed the problem, making sure that it posted.

Wired wrote the company up a while ago. The employees are die-hard fitness geeks, too.
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/07/strava/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #24602
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

M

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #24603
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?
You won't go hungry!

AFA Strava: If you're training as opposed to JRA I don't see the need. IF the strava segment happens to line up with an interval or sprint great. Otherwise, its irrelevant. KOMs? again IF that section of road's where I've decided to do a hill repeat, great.

To go hard on a random section of road in what should be an easy spin is the epitome of stupid. Again IF you're training

Now, if you've got a weekly 10mi TT section you ride to see if you're improving, that's another story.

My $.02

M
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #24604
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Strava is a good app, but it's pissing me off lately.

Another fella and I have been going back and forth on a couple of climbs trading KOM times. Last night I caved my head in and crushed one climb that I was dethroned from, but Strava didn't pick it up, pissed me right off. It's a fifteen minute pain game and damn did it hurt.

I suppose it's kind of vain to be choked about not being able to rub a guys face in a climb, but it would have been nice.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #24605
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,777
Quote:
You won't go hungry!

AFA Strava: If you're training as opposed to JRA I don't see the need. IF the strava segment happens to line up with an interval or sprint great. Otherwise, its irrelevant. KOMs? again IF that section of road's where I've decided to do a hill repeat, great.

To go hard on a random section of road in what should be an easy spin is the epitome of stupid. Again IF you're training

Now, if you've got a weekly 10mi TT section you ride to see if you're improving, that's another story.

My $.02

M
A local rider mentioned on his Facebook page that ever since he got Strava, he no longer rides for enjoyment. Now he goes out for the sole purpose of bettering his lap times. He already holds several KOM's on a trail that I regard as too dangerous to go fast on, but he's too dumb to learn from his previous crashes, so he and another rider he trades KOM's with just keep at it. It's only a matter of time before I hear that one of them ended up in the ER.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #24606
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,901
Kinda what I thought

If I wanted to compare against friends, on one local trail it takes me about 2 hours to finish. He does it in forty-five minutes! I'm not him, and he is no Lance, so i do not feel the need to compare to others. However, I ride MTB, and only on one of 3 trails for the most part. Comparing my previous times for my fitness level would be nice. I like how strava shows times on hard climbs, or whatever you tell it. That could be cool for gauging fitness. I may try it out anyway to see if I like it, worse that could happen, I switch back to RunKeeper (which I will keep using anyway for my running).

Quote:
You won't go hungry!

My $.02

M
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #24607
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Kinda what I thought

If I wanted to compare against friends, on one local trail it takes me about 2 hours to finish. He does it in forty-five minutes! I'm not him, and he is no Lance, so i do not feel the need to compare to others. However, I ride MTB, and only on one of 3 trails for the most part. Comparing my previous times for my fitness level would be nice. I like how strava shows times on hard climbs, or whatever you tell it. That could be cool for gauging fitness. I may try it out anyway to see if I like it, worse that could happen, I switch back to RunKeeper (which I will keep using anyway for my running).
You should consider making videos of all your trail rides, especially the challenging ones. It's amazing how many mistakes will pop out at you when you view the video later on. I've even had experienced riders follow me while wearing my video camera so I can see all the stuff I did wrong. Occasionally I look at my oldest videos just for a laugh, seeing what a horrible rider I was.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #24608
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Strava is a good app, but it's pissing me off lately.

Another fella and I have been going back and forth on a couple of climbs trading KOM times. Last night I caved my head in and crushed one climb that I was dethroned from, but Strava didn't pick it up, pissed me right off. It's a fifteen minute pain game and damn did it hurt.

I suppose it's kind of vain to be choked about not being able to rub a guys face in a climb, but it would have been nice.
Are there no actual bike races in your area?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #24609
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, on the MTB what is the best way to get through a sandy turn? The trail I have started riding is pretty much packed earth, except in some turns where plain ol dirt and sand has been spread out to keep the erosion at bay. Problem is, when I hit this stuff at any speed it is very hard to turn. The front just kinda digs in. I have only been riding a couple of weeks, so inexperience is one factor. But surely there is some technique to make this easier. I was passed the other day in a particularly sandy area by a guy just flying through the trail. He can go fast through this stuff, so what's my problem?

I still think more practice is the key, but how should I practice?
Mess around with tire pressure / width. A softer tire will float better (and pinch flat better).
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #24610
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
My few seconds of 'fame.'
Talking about my workstand and portable compressor

M

Mechanical Monday: Readers Weigh in on Season’s Best Tools

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #24611
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Are there no actual bike races in your area?
More in a town an hour and a half from here called Terrace. They have a pretty cool road scene there so I go there to race.
In two weeks there is a race from Price Rupert (where I live) to Terrace called the Skeena River Challenge. It's going to end up being an even 100 miles with a decent amount of climbing in it.

At the end of the day the Road scene here in Rupet is small, like really small. But those of us that do it do okay. My training has me doing about 1000 km a month. The guy that I was talking about with the KOM thing will get about 6000 km in this season. We're hoping to keep up with the big kids on the SRC. Once past about 30km heading out of Rupert the climbing stops and its a fairly long stretch along the Skeena River with no real climbing til about 30km outside of Terrace, that's where the race will be won or lost. The trick is making sure that we don't get dropped in the initial climbs out of Rupert, so I'm hitting them hard and often, like last night.

Truthfully once the climbing starts again towards the end I can't see keeping up with the front runners. I think that the pace for 130km will have me beaten down to where the fist hill at that end, called the Shames Hill, will leave me sucking wind and not able to stay with the pack. But I'm not going out without a fight!

Weirdo screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 02:19 PM
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #24612
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so in addition to my bike being crushed, my wife lost her beloved 'step through'... I found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150864178654

and am thinking of bidding $175 on it (combined with the outrageous $125 shipping, thats $300, which seems fair). best I can tell, its a 2009 Globe Carmel 1 26" Womens in "S" (Small), like http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...globecarmel126

and I think these were $400-ish new.
hah. noone bid on it, so I won it for the min bid of $100 + the silly $125 S&H. $225 and cal sales tax, $242 total, not bad for what sounds and looks like a virtually new $400 hybrid 'comfort bike'. most importantly, its exactly what my wife wants, a low stepthrough with a bouncy-seat-post and springy-forks, in her size. in fact, it looks nearly identical to her 2007 Expedition that got crushed...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #24613
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
More in a town an hour and a half from here called Terrace. They have a pretty cool road scene there so I go there to race.
In two weeks there is a race from Price Rupert (where I live) to Terrace called the Skeena River Challenge. It's going to end up being an even 100 miles with a decent amount of climbing in it.

At the end of the day the Road scene here in Rupet is small, like really small. But those of us that do it do okay. My training has me doing about 1000 km a month. The guy that I was talking about with the KOM thing will get about 6000 km in this season. We're hoping to keep up with the big kids on the SRC. Once past about 30km heading out of Rupert the climbing stops and its a fairly long stretch along the Skeena River with no real climbing til about 30km outside of Terrace, that's where the race will be won or lost. The trick is making sure that we don't get dropped in the initial climbs out of Rupert, so I'm hitting them hard and often, like last night.

Truthfully once the climbing starts again towards the end I can't see keeping up with the front runners. I think that the pace for 130km will have me beaten down to where the fist hill at that end, called the Shames Hill, will leave me sucking wind and not able to stay with the pack. But I'm not going out without a fight!

Good luck! And keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #24614
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Mechanical Monday: Readers Weigh in on Season’s Best Tools

oooh, I like that. I bet I could use one of these ...

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #24615
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,827
If there was a Breakfast burrito in one of those slots this would go in the Awesome thread!

Quote:
As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: