User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #24661
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
totally off topic execpt that its bicycle related.

bicycle was my gateway drug to the motorcycle universe. Now that I have been in the motorcycle universe my poor bike hasnt been ridden in a month not to mention it has been missing my general attention and focus. I enjoy both but I do miss my bicycle.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #24662
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #24663
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
totally off topic execpt that its bicycle related.

bicycle was my gateway drug to the motorcycle universe. Now that I have been in the motorcycle universe my poor bike hasnt been ridden in a month not to mention it has been missing my general attention and focus. I enjoy both but I do miss my bicycle.
Strange as it sounds, for me it was just the opposite. Since I started bicycling, I haven't ridden the motorcycle once. I put a new battery in it yesterday and was surprised to see that it fired right up after having sat still for so many months.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #24664
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,119
My Adventure gets ridden daily. Until the weekend then I generally ignore it and take the bicycle. There was a time when putting 500 to 1,000 miles on that bike over a weekend was pretty normal.
And the bicycle as often as I can. When I only work 8 hours I can ride everyday as long as I have daylight. Don't like riding in the dark with the critters.

I don't mind the bunny rabbits, squirrels, and toyland deer. It's the coyotes and mountain lions I am not fond of coming upon in the dark. So far I've only seen coyotes and bobcat at night. This time of year we get more snakes about. I've seen rattlers here and they seem to like the climate so they get good sized. I also say a turtle on the trail it was a good 15" long at the shell and flopping along rather than scuttling. Very flat, green with a long snout. And it headed away from the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strange as it sounds, for me it was just the opposite. Since I started bicycling, I haven't ridden the motorcycle once. I put a new battery in it yesterday and was surprised to see that it fired right up after having sat still for so many months.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #24665
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
sigh, my cruiser/hybrid that I built up from recycled junk and a lot of new parts got destroyed on sunday... I'd JUST switched the pedals to some BMX 'pin' pedals, which I was really happy with. it was on a hitch rack on the front of our E150 van, my wife was driving down I5 coming home from a 5 day camping trip up north, and had a blowout, lost control when she overbraked on the gravel and the trailer jackknifed, forcing her back out across the traffic lanes and into the side of a FedEx semitruck. Everyone is OK (ok, I have a busted #5 metarsal in my right foot), just wiped out the trailer, van, and bikes.

an hour earlier, we'd picnicked in Mt Lassen...

then, blam. next day at the tow yard, where we were loading our camping gear and my astronomy and photo gear into a u-haul...

RIP, Hybrid :(

a couple weeks before, just after I'd installed the pin pedals...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #24666
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
sigh, my cruiser/hybrid that I built up from recycled junk and a lot of new parts got destroyed on sunday... I'd JUST switched the pedals to some BMX 'pin' pedals, which I was really happy with. it was on a hitch rack on the front of our E150 van, my wife was driving down I5 coming home from a 5 day camping trip up north, and had a blowout, lost control when she overbraked on the gravel and the trailer jackknifed, forcing her back out across the traffic lanes and into the side of a FedEx semitruck. Everyone is OK (ok, I have a busted #5 metarsal in my right foot), just wiped out the trailer, van, and bikes.
Jeebus! Sorry to hear about the loss of your bikes, but you're incredibly fortunate that something much worse didn't happen.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #24667
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Thank goodness it wasn't worse - that's a scary story bud.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #24668
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
holy crap! Sorry to hear this, but thank goodness it wasn't worse.

scary...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #24669
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,499
Wow, Pierce, it could have been much worse! Stuff like that really puts life into perspective! The metal things can be replaced. Glad that you are ok...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #24670
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Glad to hear that you and the family are safe Pierce!

Today its only 96 degrees, 5 degrees cooler than the last time I rode the bike! I think I will go ride here in a bit once I leave work!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #24671
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:

RIP, Hybrid :(
Graphic pic.

Glad it all worked out as well as it did.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #24672
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:

glad y'all are alright!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #24673
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,563
North Baltimore down to the Harbor, then over to Fell's Point & back up Broadway in East Baltimore to 25th Street & back home . There are water mains & sinkholes showing up all over the city, so traffic is upgefuct and all the drivers are po'd. It's faster right now to slice through traffic on a bicycle, but man am I tired of dodging mirrors & doors. It's like being in a really slow mosh pit with a lot of metal hippos. .
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #24674
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
so, to replace that bitsabike, I'm thinking one of these?

thats Specialized Globe Vienna, made in various versions from 2008 to 2010, I think. they have them with internal shift hubs or derailleurs (or fixies), and with disk brakes or U-brakes. now I just need to FIND one for a decent price, hah!
Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #24675
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Yeah ... fuel and hydration starts the night before ... then I limit myself to high intensity spurts in an hour ride.
Actually its starts the night before the night before, so a bit ride on a saturday you start fueling and drinking on Thursday night.

Makes a BIG difference - but all in moderation.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: