Oddometer: 3,165
Good deal on a Kona Sutra.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #24677
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,588
Riding this weekend?

Excited about tomorrow. I'll join the Phoenix Metro club's Saturday ride at 0630 but I'll get up early to ride to the ride - a novel concept for many - and have a bite of breakfast before the ride. That means the alarm will go off at 0430. (Is there a "yawn" smiilie?)

The group ride is only 37 miles. Add another ...25-30 to and from. Not a ton of miles but by the time I finish, the temps will be near 100. I hope to be home by 10:30. In my book, that's a good day!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #24678
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
mmm, good deal on a Globe, too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIALIZED-...item231f8451e0

hmmmmm. its a relatively base model but thats fine, I like swapping stuff around anyways, and likely would change it to a compact 50:34 front, different pedals, etc.

I rather liked the way I had the compact crankset setup on my hybrid that was destroyed (previous page pictures), I intentionally had centered the chainline on the 50 tooth so I could use all 8 rear gears with the 50, and only the lowest 3-4 with the 34 as a granny. unconventional perhaps, but it worked nicely for me, and the whole range of gears was usable.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #24679
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,658
Not sure who it was that recommended them, but I just stuck Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (700x25) on my Roubaix last night for today's commute. Very nice. Thanks for the recommendation. So far, I like them. They feel a bit heavier, but I'll just have to pedal harder.

The Gatorskins were nearly dead and had gotten way too scary to leave on any longer. On Tuesday's commute, I locked up the rear during a quick stop while descending and decided those tires were coming off as soon as I got home.

The quick stop was my own fault. I was following about 15-20' behind an SUV down a hill and doing about 25mph through a twisty residential canyon road. Someone ahead of him backed out of their driveway quickly and rather than continue the move and merge onto the street, the backup driver saw oncoming traffic and stopped in the middle of the road. The SUV had to stop short and I did, too. Slightly damp road, some construction dust and VERY worn Gatorskins made for an interesting moment.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #24680
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Not sure who it was that recommended them, but I just stuck Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires (700x25) on my Roubaix last night for today's commute. Very nice. Thanks for the recommendation. So far, I like them. They feel a bit heavier, but I'll just have to pedal harder.

The Gatorskins were nearly dead and had gotten way too scary to leave on any longer. On Tuesday's commute, I locked up the rear during a quick stop while descending and decided those tires were coming off as soon as I got home.

The quick stop was my own fault. I was following about 15-20' behind an SUV down a hill and doing about 25mph through a twisty residential canyon road. Someone ahead of him backed out of their driveway quickly and rather than continue the move and merge onto the street, the backup driver saw oncoming traffic and stopped in the middle of the road. The SUV had to stop short and I did, too. Slightly damp road, some construction dust and VERY worn Gatorskins made for an interesting moment.
Schwalbe seems to make great tires. If you want something a bit faster rolling, try the durano- haven't had a flat on mine, and my wife has gone through a couple sets with no flats (and that's getting 3-4k miles out of a set).

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #24681
k7
Ancien cyclist

Saturday ride done

Up at 0415 and on the road at 0445. Stopped for breakfast at Ye Olde Waffle House and then met the group at a park in Tempe.

It seems to be an older group but on this particular ride, they were rolling at 22 mph. I hung around the outside of the group trying not to get pinned in too much. At one point, there were two riders off the front a bit and I went by the paceline to catch them. We were doing around 27 but a light stopped us as did the group we passed who caught us as the light changed. One guy came up and said, "that's the longest chain I've ever seen...."

We hit a convenience store at the mid point and about 15 of us started out again while . This group was doing mostly 25 or so - and I felt like going faster. I eased around them at 26 and the front rider who latched onto my rear wheel so I pushed it to 28. They slowed dropped off, one by one so I kept hammering. As usual, a traffic light slowed me up and we regrouped.

There's a scheduled stop at a Paradise Bakery but I kept going and returned home. Nice ride - a lot in the group are starting to talk to me and make me feel welcome.

No issues with cars - I don't think anyone even blew that horn at us and a few even held their positions and waived us past them at stopsigns. Large group - about 65 riders or so.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #24682
pierce
Aven'Tourer

well, I just won this bike on fleabay...

I hope the picture links.

Its a new left over floor model 2010 Specialized Globe Vienna 2 in size "L". 700c x 35 wheels, V brakes, Acera 24 speed. alloy frame, steel forks. I'll likely stick my bmx 'pin' pedals on it, as thats about the only thing that survived on my old bike. I got it for $305 + $65 shipping == $370, seems fair enough to me, they were about $490 MSRP.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #24683
k7
Ancien cyclist

Appears to be quite large.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #24684
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Appears to be quite large.

well, I think it will be a great replacement for...

which now looks like...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #24685
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
We're going to need the story on this.

And BTW, several new updates on my blog on my Leadville trip since I last posted. Hit the sig if you care...

--Donnie
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #24686
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
We're going to need the story on this.

And BTW, several new updates on my blog on my Leadville trip since I last posted. Hit the sig if you care...

--Donnie
we were driving home from a 5 day, 4 night campout astronomy star party in far northern California, the Golden State Star Party, http://goldenstatestarparty.org

I was probably up til 3am shooting pictures of Andromeda

(thats an unprocessed raw image)

and my wife decided it would be nice to detour through Lassen N.P. so we did, had a nice ad-hoc roadside picnic since all the picnic grounds were full...

so by the time we got to I5 in Red Bluff, I was starting to zone out, so I let Ruth drive for awhile down I5 while I caught some zzzzs in the passenger seat.

about an hour later, she had a blowout, over corrected, carreened all over the road, got it back under control, headed for the gravel in the center divide then braked too hard, the tent trailer jackknifed, pushed us back out into the highway where we clipped the saddle tank of a fedex semi, which snapped us 180 the other way and we came to a stop.

I got a black eye and minor laceration on my face from my sunglasses, and broke my right foot (#5 metatarsal). wife got some minor bruises. van is totalled, tent trailer is totalled, and our bikes, which were on a front hitch rack, are totalled too. insurance is covering the van, homeowners insurance probably will cover the trailer + bikes, except our deductible is over half their worth (1993 starstream xl is maybe $1000 and its tough to value my bitsa-bike).

http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/RIP-E...0137&k=FvqDNxp

at least the brand new bmx pedals are still OK, almost every other part on my bike is broken.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #24687
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,345
SOme excellent recent events-

My 13 year old boy has started seeing the light- We built him up a bike (the bugger stole my old school helium wheels)- has ridden approx 170 miles with me over the last several weeks .

My wife has also been riding (has previous health/neruological issues, so this is huge)- went 20 miles with me yesterday at 15mph - and as a huge victory for her has been able to drink/eat while on the move.

AND the lime/cucumber gatorade is excellent
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #24688
pierce
Aven'Tourer

so in addition to my bike being crushed, my wife lost her beloved 'step through'... I found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150864178654

and am thinking of bidding $175 on it (combined with the outrageous $125 shipping, thats $300, which seems fair). best I can tell, its a 2009 Globe Carmel 1 26" Womens in "S" (Small), like http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...globecarmel126

and I think these were $400-ish new.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #24689
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
we were driving home from a 5 day, 4 night campout astronomy star party in far northern California, the Golden State Star Party, http://goldenstatestarparty.org

I was probably up til 3am shooting pictures of Andromeda
Nice. One of my good friends, a guy I met in college but have kept in touch with, is a pretty avid astrophotographer; Watching the evolution of his images over the years has been pretty neat.

I went mountain biking in El Corte de Madera today. Only my third time on a mountain bike since moving out here from the east coast. Good times, really nice singletrack. But I'm still not as adjusted to the extended climbing as I'd like to be.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #24690
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
Nice. One of my good friends, a guy I met in college but have kept in touch with, is a pretty avid astrophotographer; Watching the evolution of his images over the years has been pretty neat.
yeah, its a steep and long learning curve. I just started fooling around this March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
I went mountain biking in El Corte de Madera today. Only my third time on a mountain bike since moving out here from the east coast. Good times, really nice singletrack. But I'm still not as adjusted to the extended climbing as I'd like to be.
We do have just a few of them hills around here, no doubt. when I was mountain biking, I liked to find routes where it was fire road on the climbs, and the singletrack was mostly traversal and downhill. Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz County is pretty good that way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: