ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #24691
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,428
Hey fellers,

I'm working on building a road bike for someone who's trying to get into cycling. Trouble is, she's dirt poor. Gonna cobble together something out of spare parts for her. I'm on the hunt for a road-style drive train with brifters. Beggars can't be choosers, so pretty much any make/model is ok.

Thanks for your time, y'all.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #24692
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
4038 as of yesterday's ride. 301 miles. Not great, but not bad. Lowlights of the month were a minor knee isue and a goddam week-long hurricane. And two flat tires. I'm at 1688. I should be at 1750.
4376 as of today. 338 miles in July. It should have been more, but I had a few little issues along the way. I'm leaning I can't ride two days in a row, no matter how easy I take it. Weird. I'm at 2026. I should be at 2042.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #24693
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Hey fellers,

I'm working on building a road bike for someone who's trying to get into cycling. Trouble is, she's dirt poor. Gonna cobble together something out of spare parts for her. I'm on the hunt for a road-style drive train with brifters. Beggars can't be choosers, so pretty much any make/model is ok.

Thanks for your time, y'all.
Pics of her will help.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #24694
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Topless pics of her will help.
What you really meant to say.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #24695
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,428


Probably not, actually. Not toxic at all (I wish).
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #24696
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,797
So, on the MTB what is the best way to get through a sandy turn? The trail I have started riding is pretty much packed earth, except in some turns where plain ol dirt and sand has been spread out to keep the erosion at bay. Problem is, when I hit this stuff at any speed it is very hard to turn. The front just kinda digs in. I have only been riding a couple of weeks, so inexperience is one factor. But surely there is some technique to make this easier. I was passed the other day in a particularly sandy area by a guy just flying through the trail. He can go fast through this stuff, so what's my problem?

I still think more practice is the key, but how should I practice?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #24697
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,472
Ok, I guess I've been an irresponsible bike owner.

A few weeks ago, I noticed if I was in a certain gear, the chain would sorta skip jump every eighth pedal rotation or so. I said something to a guy at work about it and he asked what kind of chain lube I had been using.

So, a trip to performance bike, picked up a stupid expensive little bottle of lube, and who woulda thought, the chain quit doing that skip jump thing.

So today, I figure I'd be proactive and actually lube the chain again, and possibly wipe some of the grim off the bike. While going over it, I noticed that the back tire is toast. Like, cords showing in spots. Damn, I woulda never thought these tires would only last 1500 miles, but that's what they have on them. 700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.

What else am I neglecting? When I bought the bike, I had a LBS do all the setup for me (mail ordered the bike as there are no Look dealers locally), which promptly jammed the chain and nicked the carbon first ride out. I bothered to read online how to adjust the shifters and redid them myself and haven't had an issue since.
Of course since then, it has sat more than been ridden and hasn't had a bit of maintenance done to it. I'll bet there's other things I should be lubing or checking...
This year, I started to ride a bit more, but in the last few weeks I started using the Strava app and found a handful of achievement challenges on my typical ride route. Now I have some motivation to get back at it.

My typical route-


__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #24698
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
So today, I figure I'd be proactive and actually lube the chain again, and possibly wipe some of the grim off the bike. While going over it, I noticed that the back tire is toast. Like, cords showing in spots. Damn, I woulda never thought these tires would only last 1500 miles, but that's what they have on them. 700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.
23c is a really skinny tire, mostly suitable for races... I'd suggest using 25c for street riding. Continental Gatorbacks are a good tire, puncture resistant and pretty hardy. Schwabe makes great tires but you won't find them in most LBS's, so you have to mail order them.

a tire with a high thread-per-inch count will ride and feel better than a cheaper tire with a lower TPI (and coarser threads).
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #24699
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.
Like "pierce", I'm not into the skinniest of tires. A larger tire will ride much better, allow lower pressures, and, generally, last longer. Many road bikes will clear a 28mm. Many shops stock that size, so you can mount one up and see if it clears.

As for a tire recommendation, I've been running Continental Contact, with 1 flat in ~5K miles (nearly shot, now). I put a set of Touring Plus, in 28mm, on my GF's road bike and she's never had a flat, but, doesn't ride the miles I do. They, also, offer a racier tire in the GatorSkin, which is puncture resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
What else am I neglecting? I'll bet there's other things I should be lubing or checking
I use a needle-oiler filled with "wet" lube to get at the derailluer, brake, and lever pivots. I regularly check my tires for sharp debris. I use diluted Simple Green to regularly wash my bikes. The same product, with a toothbrush, works for cleaning the chain, as well.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #24700
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
i'm old school re chains, and clean mine with wd40 (or kerosene), blow it dry with the compressor, then lightly oil it with triflow.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #24701
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
i'm old school re chains, and clean mine with wd40 (or kerosene), blow it dry with the compressor, then lightly oil it with triflow.
Dude, get yourself some Finish Line dry lube. Triflow makes a mess of drivetrains. No wonder you're using WD40 or kerosene for cleaning.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #24702
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
23c is a really skinny tire, mostly suitable for races... I'd suggest using 25c for street riding. Continental Gatorbacks are a good tire, puncture resistant and pretty hardy. Schwabe makes great tires but you won't find them in most LBS's, so you have to mail order them.

a tire with a high thread-per-inch count will ride and feel better than a cheaper tire with a lower TPI (and coarser threads).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Like "pierce", I'm not into the skinniest of tires. A larger tire will ride much better, allow lower pressures, and, generally, last longer. Many road bikes will clear a 28mm. Many shops stock that size, so you can mount one up and see if it clears.

As for a tire recommendation, I've been running Continental Contact, with 1 flat in ~5K miles (nearly shot, now). I put a set of Touring Plus, in 28mm, on my GF's road bike and she's never had a flat, but, doesn't ride the miles I do. They, also, offer a racier tire in the GatorSkin, which is puncture resistant.



I use a needle-oiler filled with "wet" lube to get at the derailluer, brake, and lever pivots. I regularly check my tires for sharp debris. I use diluted Simple Green to regularly wash my bikes. The same product, with a toothbrush, works for cleaning the chain, as well.
I'm in need of new tires also....my current tires are labeled 700*23 so I was wondering if 700*25 is a direct replacement for 23's for all wheels ? My wheels are Mavic Kryshum Elite's if that matters ?

Best price I can get is on Amazon ($40 or so with free shipping) so I just want to be sure they'll fit before I order.

Cheers
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #24703
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,797
More questions, I'm such a noob

So, Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, Strava, etc... I have been using RunKeeper for a while now to track activities, and it seems to work well. However, are others better? I am not talking about the premium versions, just the free to use ad supported ones. I know, you get what you pay for, but I am not paying for races, so it all works out.

Basically, something to track what I am doing, and maybe trend it somehow once I am in better shape. Strava's way of showing you local ride segments to compete against others against sounds fun, but is it used that much? Does it work well? RunKeeper I am familiar with, I have a Garmin watch, so I assume that comes with Garmin Connect access. There have to be others besides those three... So, what do you use, and why? Most of y'all are more experienced than I at bicycling, so shoot me some recommendations.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #24704
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm in need of new tires also....my current tires are labeled 700*23 so I was wondering if 700*25 is a direct replacement for 23's for all wheels ? My wheels are Mavic Kryshum Elite's if that matters ?

Best price I can get is on Amazon ($40 or so with free shipping) so I just want to be sure they'll fit before I order.
25mm will fit the rim, with no problem.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #24705
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I'm in need of new tires also....my current tires are labeled 700*23 so I was wondering if 700*25 is a direct replacement for 23's for all wheels ? My wheels are Mavic Kryshum Elite's if that matters ?

Best price I can get is on Amazon ($40 or so with free shipping) so I just want to be sure they'll fit before I order.

Cheers
the rims will fit most any 700c tire, at least up to 28 or even 32. the question is what will fit in the frame, and most road bike frames have plenty of clearance for 27c. usually the tightest spot is by the bottom bracket, between the chain stays. with a bigger tire, you might have to release your brakes to remove a wheel, while 23c often can squeeze past the shoes without releasing them, BFD.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014