Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
25mm will fit the rim, with no problem.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
the rims will fit most any 700c tire, at least up to 28 or even 32. the question is what will fit in the frame, and most road bike frames have plenty of clearance for 27c. usually the tightest spot is by the bottom bracket, between the chain stays. with a bigger tire, you might have to release your brakes to remove a wheel, while 23c often can squeeze past the shoes without releasing them, BFD.
Again, thanks

My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ? If my assumption is correct, there should be plenty of room for the 25 - I actually have to release the brakes with my 23's - well OK, maybe not HAVE to but I do, so no biggie.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #24707
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Strava's way of showing you local ride segments to compete against others against sounds fun, but is it used that much?
Strava seems to be the software of choice on every cycling forum I've visited. There are two local trails where riders constantly post their best lap times using Strava. I've tried installing it on my cell phone, but for some reason it won't download.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #24708
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ? .
not 100% sure, but I think it refers to the circumference as measured from bead to bead, like if you wrapped a tape measure around the tire.

to make life more confusing, not all tires of size X are the same size. my hybrid, I had an old 700x40 tire, fit the frame just fine, but when it wore out, I got a new one, different type, and it totally didn't fit, I had to go to a 700x35 (the original tire was no longer made in any 700c size).
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #24709
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ?
Width.

However, sizing is not always accurate or consistent, even within a manufacturer.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #24710
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,887
I use Strava on my iPhone. IT works pretty well.
But, GPS will eat the battery power in about 4 hours form a full charge. I have disabled all other functions to get the maximum. The best solution for tracking is a regular GPS and upload the datat to Strava or something similar.
One thing that is an irritation is that every ride I have to edit it to select my bike. I guess it is set up for people with a stable of bikes.
Tracking my times on the bike path is silly if I were competing. I use the times and averages to gauge my progression in fitness for myself. I've seen guys that have speed averages over some segments that are 28 mph. Seriously stupid on a mixed use path.
I am at present in a battle wih my iPhone and iTunes to get my phone back to where it was before I switched computers.
My fault probably since I did not sync to the cloud prior to ditching the old boat anchor of a computer for the new boat anchor.
And I know I should really have sold a kidney and got the mac, to be fully absorbed in the cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strava seems to be the software of choice on every cycling forum I've visited. There are two local trails where riders constantly post their best lap times using Strava. I've tried installing it on my cell phone, but for some reason it won't download.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #24711
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,162
My few seconds of 'fame.'
Talking about my workstand and portable compressor

M
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #24712
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

M
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #24713
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I tried a couple different programs, but I've been very happy with Strava. First on my iPhone, then on my Android Evo and now I upload from my Garmin Edge 500. (Actually went back to the Android version while my Garmin was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago.)

I don't use it to compete with others (well, maybe against a buddy or two), but using segments to track my own fitness over the same stretch of road has been great. In the last year, I've pulled about 4 minutes off one of my commute climbs and about 3 off the other. Any more will require some decent weight loss. I'm still a big, heavy turd.

I don't use the Pro/paid version but thought about going that route to support them. I had an error where a ride wouldn't manually upload properly and sent them an email. Within an hour, I had a reply and they fixed the problem, making sure that it posted.

Wired wrote the company up a while ago. The employees are die-hard fitness geeks, too.
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/07/strava/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #24714
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

M

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #24715
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?
You won't go hungry!

AFA Strava: If you're training as opposed to JRA I don't see the need. IF the strava segment happens to line up with an interval or sprint great. Otherwise, its irrelevant. KOMs? again IF that section of road's where I've decided to do a hill repeat, great.

To go hard on a random section of road in what should be an easy spin is the epitome of stupid. Again IF you're training

Now, if you've got a weekly 10mi TT section you ride to see if you're improving, that's another story.

My $.02

M
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #24716
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,428
Strava is a good app, but it's pissing me off lately.

Another fella and I have been going back and forth on a couple of climbs trading KOM times. Last night I caved my head in and crushed one climb that I was dethroned from, but Strava didn't pick it up, pissed me right off. It's a fifteen minute pain game and damn did it hurt.

I suppose it's kind of vain to be choked about not being able to rub a guys face in a climb, but it would have been nice.
Weirdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #24717
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You won't go hungry!

AFA Strava: If you're training as opposed to JRA I don't see the need. IF the strava segment happens to line up with an interval or sprint great. Otherwise, its irrelevant. KOMs? again IF that section of road's where I've decided to do a hill repeat, great.

To go hard on a random section of road in what should be an easy spin is the epitome of stupid. Again IF you're training

Now, if you've got a weekly 10mi TT section you ride to see if you're improving, that's another story.

My $.02

M
A local rider mentioned on his Facebook page that ever since he got Strava, he no longer rides for enjoyment. Now he goes out for the sole purpose of bettering his lap times. He already holds several KOM's on a trail that I regard as too dangerous to go fast on, but he's too dumb to learn from his previous crashes, so he and another rider he trades KOM's with just keep at it. It's only a matter of time before I hear that one of them ended up in the ER.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #24718
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Kinda what I thought

If I wanted to compare against friends, on one local trail it takes me about 2 hours to finish. He does it in forty-five minutes! I'm not him, and he is no Lance, so i do not feel the need to compare to others. However, I ride MTB, and only on one of 3 trails for the most part. Comparing my previous times for my fitness level would be nice. I like how strava shows times on hard climbs, or whatever you tell it. That could be cool for gauging fitness. I may try it out anyway to see if I like it, worse that could happen, I switch back to RunKeeper (which I will keep using anyway for my running).

Quote:
You won't go hungry!

My $.02

M
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #24719
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Kinda what I thought

If I wanted to compare against friends, on one local trail it takes me about 2 hours to finish. He does it in forty-five minutes! I'm not him, and he is no Lance, so i do not feel the need to compare to others. However, I ride MTB, and only on one of 3 trails for the most part. Comparing my previous times for my fitness level would be nice. I like how strava shows times on hard climbs, or whatever you tell it. That could be cool for gauging fitness. I may try it out anyway to see if I like it, worse that could happen, I switch back to RunKeeper (which I will keep using anyway for my running).
You should consider making videos of all your trail rides, especially the challenging ones. It's amazing how many mistakes will pop out at you when you view the video later on. I've even had experienced riders follow me while wearing my video camera so I can see all the stuff I did wrong. Occasionally I look at my oldest videos just for a laugh, seeing what a horrible rider I was.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #24720
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Strava is a good app, but it's pissing me off lately.

Another fella and I have been going back and forth on a couple of climbs trading KOM times. Last night I caved my head in and crushed one climb that I was dethroned from, but Strava didn't pick it up, pissed me right off. It's a fifteen minute pain game and damn did it hurt.

I suppose it's kind of vain to be choked about not being able to rub a guys face in a climb, but it would have been nice.
Are there no actual bike races in your area?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: