Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #24721
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
So, on the MTB what is the best way to get through a sandy turn? The trail I have started riding is pretty much packed earth, except in some turns where plain ol dirt and sand has been spread out to keep the erosion at bay. Problem is, when I hit this stuff at any speed it is very hard to turn. The front just kinda digs in. I have only been riding a couple of weeks, so inexperience is one factor. But surely there is some technique to make this easier. I was passed the other day in a particularly sandy area by a guy just flying through the trail. He can go fast through this stuff, so what's my problem?

I still think more practice is the key, but how should I practice?
Mess around with tire pressure / width. A softer tire will float better (and pinch flat better).
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #24722
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My few seconds of 'fame.'
Talking about my workstand and portable compressor

M

Mechanical Monday: Readers Weigh in on Season’s Best Tools

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #24723
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Are there no actual bike races in your area?
More in a town an hour and a half from here called Terrace. They have a pretty cool road scene there so I go there to race.
In two weeks there is a race from Price Rupert (where I live) to Terrace called the Skeena River Challenge. It's going to end up being an even 100 miles with a decent amount of climbing in it.

At the end of the day the Road scene here in Rupet is small, like really small. But those of us that do it do okay. My training has me doing about 1000 km a month. The guy that I was talking about with the KOM thing will get about 6000 km in this season. We're hoping to keep up with the big kids on the SRC. Once past about 30km heading out of Rupert the climbing stops and its a fairly long stretch along the Skeena River with no real climbing til about 30km outside of Terrace, that's where the race will be won or lost. The trick is making sure that we don't get dropped in the initial climbs out of Rupert, so I'm hitting them hard and often, like last night.

Truthfully once the climbing starts again towards the end I can't see keeping up with the front runners. I think that the pace for 130km will have me beaten down to where the fist hill at that end, called the Shames Hill, will leave me sucking wind and not able to stay with the pack. But I'm not going out without a fight!

Weirdo screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 02:19 PM
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #24724
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so in addition to my bike being crushed, my wife lost her beloved 'step through'... I found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150864178654

and am thinking of bidding $175 on it (combined with the outrageous $125 shipping, thats $300, which seems fair). best I can tell, its a 2009 Globe Carmel 1 26" Womens in "S" (Small), like http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...globecarmel126

and I think these were $400-ish new.
hah. noone bid on it, so I won it for the min bid of $100 + the silly $125 S&H. $225 and cal sales tax, $242 total, not bad for what sounds and looks like a virtually new $400 hybrid 'comfort bike'. most importantly, its exactly what my wife wants, a low stepthrough with a bouncy-seat-post and springy-forks, in her size. in fact, it looks nearly identical to her 2007 Expedition that got crushed...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #24725
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
More in a town an hour and a half from here called Terrace. They have a pretty cool road scene there so I go there to race.
In two weeks there is a race from Price Rupert (where I live) to Terrace called the Skeena River Challenge. It's going to end up being an even 100 miles with a decent amount of climbing in it.

At the end of the day the Road scene here in Rupet is small, like really small. But those of us that do it do okay. My training has me doing about 1000 km a month. The guy that I was talking about with the KOM thing will get about 6000 km in this season. We're hoping to keep up with the big kids on the SRC. Once past about 30km heading out of Rupert the climbing stops and its a fairly long stretch along the Skeena River with no real climbing til about 30km outside of Terrace, that's where the race will be won or lost. The trick is making sure that we don't get dropped in the initial climbs out of Rupert, so I'm hitting them hard and often, like last night.

Truthfully once the climbing starts again towards the end I can't see keeping up with the front runners. I think that the pace for 130km will have me beaten down to where the fist hill at that end, called the Shames Hill, will leave me sucking wind and not able to stay with the pack. But I'm not going out without a fight!

Good luck! And keep us posted.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #24726
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

oooh, I like that. I bet I could use one of these ...

Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #24727
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
If there was a Breakfast burrito in one of those slots this would go in the Awesome thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

M
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #24728
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I had a mashed Ciocc Mocba 1980 and a Motobecane Grand Record, I could of made a gift set from!

Quote:
oooh, I like that. I bet I could use one of these ...

Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #24729
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I had a mashed Ciocc Mocba 1980 and a Motobecane Grand Record, I could of made a gift set from!
hey, I still have my early 70s Grand Record. I ain't cutting into those chromed 531 forks with the campi tips for anything.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #24730
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,414
If you're looking for something to do...

M
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #24731
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Making bicycle themed bottle openers is fun...

But the quality control testing can get a little overwhelming...

;-)
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #24732
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Making bicycle themed bottle openers is fun...

But the quality control testing can get a little overwhelming...

;-)
and I wonder how many modern riders will recognize those as the lever on a coaster brake?

muahahaah. got any that say New Departure? :)
(worst. brakes. ever. had one sieze up coming down Eldridge Grade on the east side of Tam and snap my rear axle. that was a LONG walk home lugging a broken 60 lb inch-pinch cruiser :-/)
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #24733
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,813
I tore my calf muscle in June last year playing rugby. Took 6 months to heal thanks to me playing rugby again too quickly. I finally got off the cane in December but didn't do any riding or rugby till I came back from Hong Kong in March.

And of course the very first time I went out to go play some touch rugby I broke a bone in my foot. Had an op done on both feet; one the broken bone, the other had a fibroma removed.

I finally am walking again, but it hurts. Dr said I should stay on my feet to speed up the healing process.

I managed 20 laboured minutes of pedalling on the rollers tonight. Took 40 minutes as I had to stop so often, but I kept pushing. Guess with that sort of cardio i'm not going to be playing any more rugby. I think i've ridden maybe 100 miles in the last year thanks to injuries.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #24734
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
.....got any that say New Departure? :))

my least favorite american brake as well- but the early, small arms make the coolest openers!
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #24735
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
snip]
Cool. I have a peev about people who want Strava KOMs but wont line up for a real race. There's a group of guys in my town that are super strong and go out and crush every group ride but they wont line up on race day even though there is a promoter in the next town dying for people to join his actual racing scene.

I'm not a racer any longer but I feel like I should at least do some of my home races so I dutifully line up and get crushed, my fun comes in trying to organize a chase.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: