User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #24796
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Finally got all my boys together in one spot and in more or less presentable condition....

Also have a 1999 Cannondale F3000 (former HT XC racer - commuter bike now) and late 90's Schwinn Peleton Pro (city beater - possible SS convert)

frazman screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 10:44 AM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #24797
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Yeah but that's an 18-mph average. Take the scenic route next time though.

I was up early and attempted to ride a few intervals. It was a very sad performance - still suffering from a sinus infection and the effects of the antibiotic.

When I finished the few that I attempted, I started home. A light caught me and as I started out from it, I was slowly increasing my speed when I caught a bike on my rear wheel. SOB had no headlight and I could barely make him out only because of the daybreak behind him.

OK - this is a nice long flat so I increased my speed to 25 and held it there. I'm not sure where he was dropped but when I hit the next light where I turn, he was't there.
I will try tomorrow if i manage to leave the house at 0430.

Rode with niksandvstroms for a bit and then back to work.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #24798
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
I will try tomorrow if i manage to leave the house at 0430.

Rode with niksandvstroms for a bit and then back to work.
It sucks getting up so early. We have a "heat dome" sitting over AZ so the nights aren't cooling off. It was 90 when I rolled out of the garage at 0500.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #24799
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
and my Globe Vienna 2 arrived from fleabay, in perfect condition (it was a dealer demo),and its exactly the bike I was trying to custom build from bitsa this, bitsa that, hah!

can't wait til my foot is healed to start riding.

wife got her ebay replacement step through yesterday, too, and tried it today, and likes it, so we're gold.

pierce screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 08:48 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #24800
pierce
Aven'Tourer

so... when foot is healed. I need to work on losing about 50 lbs, and get my cardio-vascular back into good shape. I'm 57, 6' tall and weigh about 230 now, I figure I should try and get back to 180, and I'll be happy. worse, in the ER for my broken foot, and later at the docs office, my blood pressure was high, and they showed 80-90% oxygen saturation, indicating decreased lung function. I don't like this at all. but I'm thinking I can't just hop on the bike and start spinning off miles building strength, I have to be more careful than that. my general plan is to ride increasing miles, initially flatland miles up and around the levy trail, which is like a 4 mile loop... I'm pretty sure I should be able to do 2-3 of those loops at a reasonable pace initially without too much trouble... so do I work on increasing the pace or the mileage, or both ?

by extending the loop to be the levy plus the west cliff bike path plus the bike path to Wilder Ranch, and back, this becomes a 15 mile loop, with a few short hills. 2 years ago I was able to ride this at a good fast pace, and farther.

I guess I'm looking for training advise here... I suppose I really should visit the regular doc again after my broken foot has healed, and go over the pre-op physical the Ortho had me get (they cleared me for minor surgery, but I never really got a chance to sit down with the regular doc and discuss the overall health results).
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #24801
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Without knowing why your lungs are hurting, it's hard to say, but endurance is good. Long rides, easy miles, are always good regardless of where you want to be fitness wise. Intervals are the next step. They can suck, but do wonders cardiovascularly. Hills are good for that. Charge the effer's! Or not, it's just what I like to do

It shouldn't be hard to increase your ride to 12 miles. You ever "do" something for an hour? Like clear yardwork or something? Getting into it, it'll be less than an hour's ride which is a minimum for a good cardio workout. I think that loosing 50 pounds is a great goal! I feel bad cause I've gained ten pounds in the last couple years. Need to drink less beer.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #24802
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Without knowing why your lungs are hurting, it's hard to say, but endurance is good. Long rides, easy miles, are always good regardless of where you want to be fitness wise. Intervals are the next step. They can suck, but do wonders cardiovascularly. Hills are good for that. Charge the effer's! Or not, it's just what I like to do

It shouldn't be hard to increase your ride to 12 miles. You ever "do" something for an hour? Like clear yardwork or something? Getting into it, it'll be less than an hour's ride which is a minimum for a good cardio workout. I think that loosing 50 pounds is a great goal! I feel bad cause I've gained ten pounds in the last couple years. Need to drink less beer.
I *used* to ride centuries. been way too long. sadly, no, recently, I haven't been doing much of anything physical. too many hours at the computer (I'm a software engineer/systems analyst by trade).
Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #24803
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I *used* to ride centuries. been way too long. sadly, no, recently, I haven't been doing much of anything physical. too many hours at the computer (I'm a software engineer/systems analyst by trade).
Oh, yeah. I'm making a transition from working on my feet to working in a chair and I'm not sure how I'm going to like it. But if you once did ride like that your body will remember, as will your mind. You'll know if you are doing the wrong thing, so don't worry too much about it. Just set some realistic goals. If it seems like you should be making more progress, up the anty. Or back off if you are hurting.

And if you "are" hurting, like knee's, back, neck, wrists, hands, what ever, and you are not sure what to do about it, it's really a good idea to get a fitting done. Can be pricey, anywhere from $75 to $200, but it's totally worth it. Just find a shop that isn't too cool to be working with someone that's not a racer or triathelete. It'll honestly make your riding so much more enjoyable. I think it's something a lot of people can benefit from.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #24804
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
A friend of mine was severely injured in Portland today.

http://bikeportland.org/2012/08/06/c...ollision-75572

This is terrible news. Marilyn is a skilled rider, dedicated racer, experienced commuter and bike shop owner. She is very safety conscious and rides with lights and color day and night. She is tough as nails, and if anyone can recover from this, she will. She's already beaten cancer....she'll beat this also.
I hope she pulls through. I feel fortunate with the minor injuries I've received from being hit by cars. Interesting that article didn't lay blame either side. That's kind of nice, though I must say, electric cars move fast and they are very quiet. I have been thinking of going around and super gluing kazoo's to the hoods so they make some sort of noise. Maybe it's just a hot topic, but I keep hearing about how hybrids are involved in a large portion of pedestrian and bicycle accidents.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #24805
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I'm making a transition from working on my feet to working in a chair and I'm not sure how I'm going to like it. But if you once did ride like that your body will remember, as will your mind. You'll know if you are doing the wrong thing, so don't worry too much about it. Just set some realistic goals. If it seems like you should be making more progress, up the anty. Or back off if you are hurting.

And if you "are" hurting, like knee's, back, neck, wrists, hands, what ever, and you are not sure what to do about it, it's really a good idea to get a fitting done. Can be pricey, anywhere from $75 to $200, but it's totally worth it. Just find a shop that isn't too cool to be working with someone that's not a racer or triathelete. It'll honestly make your riding so much more enjoyable. I think it's something a lot of people can benefit from.
we're talking about a flatbar hybrid bike here, not a proper racebike. I have a pretty good idea of exactly how I like my bike to fit, and even though I can't even get on the seat yet (bike arrived today, and I managed to assemble it while sitting on a beach chair), I'm pretty darn sure its going to be a good fit. its a "L" Large frame, which on this style hybrid just means 19"... Yeah, I'll probably want to adjust the bar position a bit, its a modern threadless, so I can at least drop the bars via washers, andor extend them farther out via stem swaps, but I might not have to, this frame is longer than my last one which was a bit too short of a wheelbase. I'm gonna snag the BMW pin pedals I'd just put on my last hybrid, as I think they are the only parts on that bike that iddn't get bent or broken in the car crash. the new bike has a triple front, and I was really liking the compact double I had on my last hybrid, so I'll likely consider swapping the crankset, and doing the same setup where the big ring gives me all 8 in back, but the small ring just gives me the lowest 3-4 gears.

re: bike shops, we got lotsa them here, its a university town on the coast, mountain AND road biking is huge, so is the fixie scene, cafe bikes, etc.... The shop I like is real low key and friendly, but I don't think I'd bring a ebay bike to them for a fitting... they mostly carry Giant stuff.. The main local Specialized dealer is way into road race and high end mountain bike scene, they are the ones with the video fitting room and stuff, but they always have a little too much attitude when I go in there for random stuff (although their senior mechanic in the back room is real good with vintage bikes). There's a couple shops that are totally into the high end mountain bike scene
Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #24806
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
@Pierce: training ain't changed too much over the years. Its gotten a lot more technical, but you still have to ride the bike.

It'll suck getting back up your hill, but it'll be better for you in the long run.

If time's an issue get a trainer. Set it in front of the boob tube and watch race videos, do Spinervals, etc. but do SOMETHING. I used to watch movies on the teevee. Every time there'd be a commercial break, I'd do intervals. Spin thru the movie. Repeat.

M
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #24807
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,861
Quote:
I hope she pulls through. I feel fortunate with the minor injuries I've received from being hit by cars. Interesting that article didn't lay blame either side. That's kind of nice, though I must say, electric cars move fast and they are very quiet. I have been thinking of going around and super gluing kazoo's to the hoods so they make some sort of noise. Maybe it's just a hot topic, but I keep hearing about how hybrids are involved in a large portion of pedestrian and bicycle accidents.
The law here requires that bicyclists keep well to the right on public roads so as not to block motorized traffic. Bicyclists never do that of course; they prefer to be all over the road where they can be run over. Guess I'll have to put a bigger bumper on my Prius.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #24808
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The law here requires that bicyclists keep well to the right on public roads so as not to block motorized traffic. Bicyclists never do that of course; they prefer to be all over the road where they can be run over. Guess I'll have to put a bigger bumper on my Prius.
That's not entirely true.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #24809
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
law here is, 'far to the right as PRACTICAL AND SAFE'. if the shoulder is too narrow for the bicycle, its expected the cyclists will be out in the lane

anyways, from the story on this accident, apparently they were on crossing roads (one was going east or west, and the other north or south), so lane psition hardly enters into it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #24810
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,452
Quote:
From FL's laws:
Roadway Position (see Section 316.2065, F.S.)
  • A bicyclist who is not traveling at the same speed of other traffic must ride in a designated bike lane (see Bike Lane Law Explained) or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. A bicyclist may leave the right-most portion of the road in the following situations: when passing, making a left turn, to avoid road hazards, or when a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely. (see Roadway Position Explained)
  • A bicyclist operating on a one-way street with two or more traffic lanes may ride as close to the left-hand edge of the roadway as practicable.
  • Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane. (see Impeding Traffic Explained)
To save you a click:
Roadway Position Explained

State Law says you must ride as far to the right as practicable. It does NOT say as far to the right as possible. Practicable means capable of being done within the means and circumstances present.
A cyclist should maintain no less than 2 feet of clearance from the edge of usable pavement to have room to maneuver around obstructions and to be more visible to crossing traffic. (NOTE: useable pavement does not include the gutter pan or any area frequently obstructed by debris or other hazards.)
In an extra-wide lane a cyclist should ride farther left—about 4 feet from the flow of traffic—to operate in the focus area of crossing traffic and reduce vulnerability to common collisions
When a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely, the cyclist is entitled to the use of the entire lane. Within this lane, the cyclist usually rides on the right half to facilitate visibility for overtaking motorists, but should ride far enough left to discourage motorists from trying to squeeze past within the lane.
Although the law uses the term "substandard" to discribe a lane that is not wide enough to share, these narrow lane-widths make up most of our roads. The less common "standard," wide curb lane is described below.
Other “practicable” considerations:
On-steet parking — A cyclist riding past parallel-parked cars should maintain a clearance of 4 feet to avoid risk of collision with an opening car door.
Intersection positioning — A cyclist going straight through an intersection in a lane that serves thru traffic and right turns, should ride in the center or left half of the lane to avoid common collisions. Cyclists should never ride straight in a lane marked exclusively for right turns, i.e., one marked or signed with the word "ONLY."
One-way streets — A bicyclist operating on a one-way street with two or more traffic lanes may operate in the left lane.
Paved shoulders — Where a curb is not present, the right-hand edge of a roadway is the line between the roadway and the shoulder. Since the
definition of "roadway" excludes the shoulder [§316.003], cyclists are not required to ride on paved shoulders, although they may prefer to do so. A cyclist may ride only along a right-side paved shoulder, i.e., must ride in the direction of traffic, since this is the only practical way to comply with the requirement to obey all applicable traffic signals and signs [§316.074]. A cyclist operating in the shoulder is vulnerable to common crossing collisions where many streets and driveways are present.

For your reading enjoyment. Note that the emphases are theirs not mine

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: