Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #24811
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The law here requires that bicyclists keep well to the right on public roads so as not to block motorized traffic. Bicyclists never do that of course; they prefer to be all over the road where they can be run over. Guess I'll have to put a bigger bumper on my Prius.
This doesn't seem like an appropriate time or place to grind that axe.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #24812
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
The law here requires that bicyclists keep well to the right on public roads so as not to block motorized traffic. Bicyclists never do that of course; they prefer to be all over the road where they can be run over. Guess I'll have to put a bigger bumper on my Prius.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #24813
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
The shop owner came out on the Wed ride last nite. Guy's a Cat 1. Put the hammer down. I could hold onto his wheel till it got up to close to 90% of his effort level.

Kept getting the 'I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. BANG! Legs exploded gimme a few minutes to recover...'

I need to figure out a way to get some motorpacing in next spring.

Cross season starts in less than a month. Almost time to stick the 46t ring back on the cross bikes and check the glue jobs on the tubulars.

M
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #24814
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
^^^THIS^^^ is 100% correct

As someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.

PMC screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 06:37 AM
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #24815
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Cross remounts suck. Mostly because I can't get rid of that damn hop.

M
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #24816
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
^^^this^^^ is 100% correct

as someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.
+1
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #24817
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Cross remounts suck. Mostly because I can't get rid of that damn hop.

M
Look up how to do it in "Why Your Bicycle Mechanic Drinks"
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #24818
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
^^^THIS^^^ is 100% correct

As someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.
Some of you are working much to hard to miss the point. The state of Florida, I'm told, boasts one of the largest number of bicyclists per capita in the country. Yet bicyclists are universally despised in this state. When a bicyclist is run over there's no expression of sympathy as there is for other types of traffic accidents. The presumption always is that the bicyclist was at fault. Why? Because of the reputation bicyclists have created for themselves. It's not just that they routinely ignore traffic laws that makes them both a hazard and a nuisance to other road users, it's also their behavior even when they're not breaking the law. It's revealing to see riders who think claiming that they're not doing anything illegal is a defense for how they ride. Common courtesy is not something road users are required by law to practice, but we do it regardless, and we rightly criticize those who don't. But for some reason the rules of civil behavior go out the window where roadies are concerned. Florida is not New England; we don't have narrow roads barely wide enough for a single vehicle to contend with, yet cyclists see nothing wrong with riding in the middle of the lane when there is ample room to allow traffic to get by them. When riding in a group, they feel even more entitled, often riding two or even three abreast so that no one can get by. This happened again last weekend. Despite the fact that our motorcycles are barely wider than a bicycle, the group of roadies we encountered refused to move over to allow us to pass. We were left with the option of either putting along behind them at 15 mph in a 50, or swerving into the oncoming lane to find a way through -- a task made difficult by the fact that there was a stream of bicycles ahead of them who were also perfectly content to act as a rolling road block. When I rode a bicycle on the street years ago, it would never enter my mind to behave in such a despicable manner. It's one reason I only ride my road bike on paved paths nowadays: because I don't want any association with those fucktards who give cyclists a bad name. As for those here who think hybrids are to blame for your accidents, if you stray into the path of a Prius, it's not the fact that it's a hybrid that caused the accident; it's that you were too absent minded, arrogant, or just plain stupid not to look where you were going.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #24819
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Some of you are working much to hard to miss the point. The state of Florida, I'm told, boasts one of the largest number of bicyclists per capita in the country. Yet bicyclists are universally despised in this state. When a bicyclist is run over there's no expression of sympathy as there is for other types of traffic accidents. The presumption always is that the bicyclist was at fault. Why? Because of the reputation bicyclists have created for themselves. It's not just that they routinely ignore traffic laws that makes them both a hazard and a nuisance to other road users, it's also their behavior even when they're not breaking the law. It's revealing to see riders who think claiming that they're not doing anything illegal is a defense for how they ride. Common courtesy is not something road users are required by law to practice, but we do it regardless, and we rightly criticize those who don't. But for some reason the rules of civil behavior go out the window where roadies are concerned. Florida is not New England; we don't have narrow roads barely wide enough for a single vehicle to contend with, yet cyclists see nothing wrong with riding in the middle of the lane when there is ample room to allow traffic to get by them. When riding in a group, they feel even more entitled, often riding two or even three abreast so that no one can get by. This happened again last weekend. Despite the fact that our motorcycles are barely wider than a bicycle, the group of roadies we encountered refused to move over to allow us to pass. We were left with the option of either putting along behind them at 15 mph in a 50, or swerving into the oncoming lane to find a way through -- a task made difficult by the fact that there was a stream of bicycles ahead of them who were also perfectly content to act as a rolling road block. When I rode a bicycle on the street years ago, it would never enter my mind to behave in such a despicable manner. It's one reason I only ride my road bike on paved paths nowadays: because I don't want any association with those fucktards who give cyclists a bad name. As for those here who think hybrids are to blame for your accidents, if you stray into the path of a Prius, it's not the fact that it's a hybrid that caused the accident; it's that you were too absent minded, arrogant, or just plain stupid not to look where you were going.
There are three other threads for this discussion and NONE of them are in Sports.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #24820
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanzed View Post
Look up how to do it in "Why Your Bicycle Mechanic Drinks"
Oh I *know* how to do it. The brain does anyway. I've done it before. Then I caught my leg on the back of the saddle and the body sez 'eff you buddy! I ain't doin THAT again!' and I get that little hop.

M
Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #24821
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
not worth reading... go ride your bike path and keep your Prius in FL

As mentioned already there are plenty of anti bicycles on the road threads where like minded folks like you can rant all you want. Just because you own bicycles doesn't make you a cyclist, don't forget that.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #24822
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
There are three other threads for this discussion and NONE of them are in Sports.
Where better to discuss it? After all, if he ain't gonna learn from us, he's certainly not gonna learn from the mouth breathing idiots in the threads in JM and the Perfect Line (the 2 big ones right now)

@Aurelius: go scan the threads in JM (1st) and the Perfect Line (2nd) and then come back and we'll discuss 'why 'we' do what we do.'

M
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #24823
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
not worth reading... go ride your bike path and keep your Prius in FL

As mentioned already there are plenty of anti bicycles on the road threads where like minded folks like you can rant all you want. Just because you own bicycles doesn't make you a cyclist, don't forget that.
In other words, you can't dispute a single word I've written.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #24824
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
In other words, you can't dispute a single word I've written.
You haven't read the JM thread at all, have you? I know *I've* disputed most of what you've written in there at least once.

M
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #24825
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Half the story
Take it somewhere else, please.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: