User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #24946
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,605
Racer Dale Serge set a blistering lap time of 4 min, 52 seconds at my favorite local trail yesterday -- only 2 seconds slower than pro racer David Wood's long standing record. Makes me a bit queasy just watching it:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #24947
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)

M

I'd be curious to see similar studies on mountain bikes to see if the lubrication thing is as unimportant. Also wonder about the less extreme differences in chainring size.

--Donnie
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #24948
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
I have a 48 euro foot , wide in width.
I am having some trouble finding an SPD shimano shoe with a wider width and a wider toe box. Its for a road bike but just after something comfy , could be a MTB shoe as well, decent price, don't need anything high end at all.
Can any of you nerds recommend something? Thanks
Same situation here and I love the fit of my Lake MX165 Xwide shoes in size 48. I use these for road, mtb, and winter time spin classes. Looks like most retailers are out of stock in our size, so ebay might by your best bet.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #24949
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
I'd be curious to see similar studies on mountain bikes to see if the lubrication thing is as unimportant. Also wonder about the less extreme differences in chainring size.

--Donnie
I don't think drivetrain efficiency is nearly the factor in mountainbiking that it is i roadbiking. there's far more rolling resistance, you're usually pedaling at lower speeds, and the only time you're going fast is downhill.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #24950
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I don't think drivetrain efficiency is nearly the factor in mountainbiking that it is i roadbiking. there's far more rolling resistance, you're usually pedaling at lower speeds, and the only time you're going fast is downhill.
I think you're right. Road biking involves traveling long distances at relatively high speeds, and the bikes themselves are made so super-efficient nowadays that the tiniest factor like a dirty chain can make a measurable difference in performance. Not so with mountain bikes, where variables like terrain, tire pressure, tread pattern, suspension, etc., make a far greater difference than a bit of sand on the chain will.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #24951
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I think you're right. Road biking involves traveling long distances at relatively high speeds, and the bikes themselves are made so super-efficient nowadays that the tiniest factor like a dirty chain can make a measurable difference in performance. Not so with mountain bikes, where variables like terrain, tire pressure, tread pattern, suspension, etc., make a far greater difference than a bit of sand on the chain will.
"A bit of sand"? How about repeated immersion in water and mud?

Part of why drivetrain loss was so small was attributed to running 52 front sprockets, too. My 1x10 bike has a 30T front. That's a pretty big difference.

And while by percentage of overall bike efficiency the drivetrain might not be as significant as in road biking, the simple fact is that power loss is power loss, and if the drivetrain is TWICE as inefficient as a road bike, that could be VERY significant in 100 mile XC races, for example.

The reason I ask is to understand if just maybe it's worth it to stop and clean and lube the chain in that kind of environment, or if perhaps the gain isn't offset by the time loss of doing the maintenance. It only takes 60 seconds and most, and if you're talking about doing it after 40 miles of a race at an aid station right before a 10 mile long nearly 3,000 foot climb (which is something that happens at Leadville, for example), it might just be worth it.

Again, I don't understand why OTHER inefficiencies of MTB have ANYTHING to do with this. I mean if THAT mattered, then I'd argue that the fact that you go "so fast" on a road bike means your drivetrain efficiencies aren't a big deal because aero drag is so much larger in comparison to your road bike. But that makes just as little sense.

--Donnie
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #24952
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
"A bit of sand"? How about repeated immersion in water and mud?

Part of why drivetrain loss was so small was attributed to running 52 front sprockets, too. My 1x10 bike has a 30T front. That's a pretty big difference.

And while by percentage of overall bike efficiency the drivetrain might not be as significant as in road biking, the simple fact is that power loss is power loss, and if the drivetrain is TWICE as inefficient as a road bike, that could be VERY significant in 100 mile XC races, for example.
If we're talking about racing 100 miles on a mountain bike, then I would certainly spend the time to make certain the bike is operating as efficiently as possible. That hasn't the vaguest resemblance to the kind of trail riding I and most people do, however, where factors such as tire choice, tire pressure, and suspension settings yield far more tangible results than a perfectly clean and lubed chain.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #24953
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
3ish hours on the Full Tilt Boogie today with some buddies. Did a few loops around The Plains, VA and up and over Bull Run Mtn. Mostly dirt roads.

I gotta tell ya. Tubulars sure do ride nice. Even when they're pumped up to 40-ish psi!

M
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #24954
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,199
after taking jon for a spin yesterday i just commuted 9 miles rountrip to work

i can't wait for things to cool off ... it's been a brutal summer here
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #24955
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,535
Next week I will hit 1000 miles on the new Marin since April. Not bad since i didnt ride it at all in july since i was on summer vacation.

It's been a beautiful summer, and a thousand miles more than I rode last year.

I plan to set it up with studded tires and continue through winter. Lots of folks manage it here so I figure, why not me too? At this rate I will have another 700 miles by christmas.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #24956
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,535
General question.

I want to get some clip in pedals which also work with regular shoes. Am I right that any pedal labelled as "spd" is what I am looking for?
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #24957
Uncle Pollo
Santos Vega

Oddometer: 46,199
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
General question.

I want to get some clip in pedals which also work with regular shoes. Am I right that any pedal labelled as "spd" is what I am looking for?
I have shimano m520 pedals amd their cleats on two different pairs of shoes. M520are gemerally the least expensive yet still last you mamy years. I have a pair od specialized sjoes and a pair of addidas. Spd is the generoc for receeded cleat. I use those shoes everyday at work.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #24958
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,252
I've got a set of Nokian studded tires for my Mtn Bike, and the traction on ice is amazing! I hope we have some real winter this year, so I can use them. Last winter was too warm.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #24959
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
General question.

Yes. For my urban thrasher bike, I work with these & these. I like the pearl izumi's - I can wear them all day long with no ill effect. But they do run small. I'm a euro size 43, and I bought a 44. They were snug until I stretched them out.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #24960
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
General question.

I want to get some clipLESS pedals which also work with regular shoes. Am I right that any pedal labelled as "spd" is what I am looking for?
fixt

Anything labeled 'spd compatible' will work with mtn shoes. Chosing a pedal is like 'which oil should I use?' discussions. I've had ATACs, Speedplays, and now SPDs. They all work.

One bit of advice: if you are going SPD stick with the Shimano pedals. The nicer the better. IOW XT pedals are going to last longer and work better than 520s. XTR will do better than that... etc

HTH

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: