User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 152 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #24976
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
well, better Trials than the crazy sheet my son's old school friend is doing. Jack has gone pro freestyle and "Slopeside", and is competing in international events doing the sort of stuff that will break your neck if you blow it. He was at the Crankworx Whistler Red Bull event this weekend, and had a bad run so came in next to last, but his riding buddy came in 3rd. J, his buddy, and his buddy's brother were the only 3 americans in the finals, the rest of the field were international. this slopeside stuff is insane, doing backflips off 60 foot jumps.

A couple years ago, he was still doing trail stuff like....

and now he's doing jumppark stuff like...

Fogelsode Season 3 #8: Morgan Hill from Jack Fogelquist on Vimeo.

anyways, I dunno how someone can do this stuff for a couple years at a competitive level and not end up breaking every bone they got. eek.

I'm glad MY son took up a nice safe sport like rock climbing, hah!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #24977
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,850
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #24978
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
this is what I tell a new road cyclist if they ride with me (which I might add I avoid busy roads as much as possible).

If a cyclist is being an ass a motorist will consider ALL cyclists to be a jackass, if a cyclist is considerate a motorists will consider just that cyclist to be considerate, not all cyclists. its a simple reality you cant change so accept it.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #24979
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I absolutely hate, loath, abhor, despise those Cholla

M
(so does the dog. Eventually he got better at recognizing em. )
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #24980
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I absolutely hate, loath, abhor, despise those Cholla

M
(so does the dog. Eventually he got better at recognizing em. )
When I visited Arizona, there was a story about a kind of cactus that could actually hurl its spines at you like little spears. I thought at first that someone was just pulling my leg, but I met lots of other Arizonans who believed it. Still sounds like BS to me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #24981
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,443
Quote:
When I visited Arizona, there was a story about a kind of cactus that could actually hurl its spines at you like little spears. I thought at first that someone was just pulling my leg, but I met lots of other Arizonans who believed it. Still sounds like BS to me.
I haven't met one of them, but I'm sure that its out there somewhere. Cholla on the other hand are just evil.

Buddy of mine was out running (hashing) thru the desert and got into a patch somehow (not quite sure how, they're easy to spot) and got stickered up like the dood in the pic above.

Evil. Nasty. Painful. Ugh

M
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #24982
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I haven't met one of them, but I'm sure that its out there somewhere. Cholla on the other hand are just evil.

Buddy of mine was out running (hashing) thru the desert and got into a patch somehow (not quite sure how, they're easy to spot) and got stickered up like the dood in the pic above.

Evil. Nasty. Painful. Ugh

M
I hear they have multiple hooks in the spines that makes them much more difficult to pull out, once they get ya.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #24983
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Well, it is an exaggeration - but the name of that cholla is "jumping cholla" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_fulgida

It doesn't actually jump, but the spines are very aggressive/velcroey and the "pods" break away very easily. Just barely brush against one and it's on you.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #24984
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,252
But after a week or so they work themselves out. I had one push though a pant leg on a airplane trip. The Stu saw it come out. She gave me one of those WTF looks.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #24985
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,486
I carry a comb on my dirtbike to scrape those nasty cholla bastards off.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #24986
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc View Post
I carry a comb on my dirtbike to scrape those nasty cholla bastards off.
if they are as big as that picture of the dude (golfer?!?) with the EMTs above, I'd want an 'afro rake' for that
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #24987
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

A couple years ago, he was still doing trail stuff like....

That's an awesome vid The Santa Cruz Mtns have the absolute best Mt Bike trails that I've ever seen, the first time I rode there was at Skeggs in late August a few years back on a Demo bike and it blew my mind how the trails flowed, the scenery, the temperature it was a surreal experience.

If my job had been in Santa Cruz instead of Sunnyvale, I don't think I'd have ever moved away from California.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #24988
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,074
USA Pro Challenge

You lucky bastages in Colorado ! What an awesome bike tour. Neat to see the adv sticker on motorcyclist helmet that had TV dude on back. Nice ride Tejay !

and the fat tire commercials are pretty cool as well. Wish we could get the stuff here.

zippy screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 06:27 AM
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #24989
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Strava leader boards

It seems many riders are timing their rides at off road trails and posting the results on Strava's leader boards. I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 800 and did some test runs at a local mtb trail. In two cases, Strava couldn't distinguish between one trail segment and another that runs along side it, and twice it credited me with an uphill run when in fact I'd done a downhill run.

Another rider who holds several KOM's on that trail tells me that errors like that are not uncommon. Strava's website states that even in optimal conditions, GPS tracking is only accurate to within 10 meters (33 feet). Variations that great can easily account for errors of several seconds in calculating the time it takes a rider to complete one segment. It can also invalidate a timed run through a segment when it mistakenly thinks you haven't traveled the full distance. Since positions on various leader boards are often determined by differences of as little as 1 second, are riders placing entirely too much faith in their GPS to provide the degree of accuracy these results require?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #24990
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,711
Quote:
It seems many riders are timing their rides at off road trails and posting the results on Strava's leader boards. I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 800 and did some test runs at a local mtb trail. In two cases, Strava couldn't distinguish between one trail segment and another that runs along side it, and twice it credited me with an uphill run when in fact I'd done a downhill run.

Another rider who holds several KOM's on that trail tells me that errors like that are not uncommon. Strava's website states that even in optimal conditions, GPS tracking is only accurate to within 10 meters (33 feet). Variations that great can easily account for errors of several seconds in calculating the time it takes a rider to complete one segment. It can also invalidate a timed run through a segment when it mistakenly thinks you haven't traveled the full distance. Since positions on various leader boards are often determined by differences of as little as 1 second, are riders placing entirely too much faith in their GPS to provide the degree of accuracy these results require?
You take shit way too seriously...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: