Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #24991
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You take shit way too seriously...
This is serious business, Mercury.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #24992
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Gps is nice ... but time/distance is better. Second is a well calibrated cyclo puter.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #24993
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
Gps is nice ... but time/distance is better. Second is a well calibrated cyclo puter.
Yep the electronic one upmanship in this thread is bordering on ridiculous. Most of the fast guys I know couldn't give two shits about posting their "record breaking times" on some website. Hey look at me, I'm the fastest guy on the greenway! Hooray!
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #24994
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Quote:
Not really....honestly, I could understand it if you were a pro perhaps but all this seems to be is oneupmanship. I dunno, but my brain just doesn't think that way - life is way too short for that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #24995
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not really....honestly, I could understand it if you were a pro perhaps but all this seems to be is oneupmanship. I dunno, but my brain just doesn't think that way - life is way too short for that.
You're misinterpreting things. I'm not at the top of any leader board and likely never will be. This isn't something I have any personal stake in.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #24996
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
You're misinterpreting things. I'm not at the top of any leader board and likely never will be. This isn't something I have any personal stake in.
Well, I'm not the one who said it was serious business...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #24997
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I'm not the one who said it was serious business...
So you've lost your sense of humor too?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #24998
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
So you've lost your sense of humor too?
I have. I have a sense of humour though...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #24999
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
I'll say it again: the only 'serious business' in cycling is coming across the line first. The rest is fluff.

I've got a few friends into all that strava stuff. Great. Good for you. The ONLY time I can see it being a useful training tool is hill repeats or TT efforts. ...but that's me.

Speaking of hills... who's gonna go ride my buddy Tony's Devil's Backbone ride Sat?

M
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #25000
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
KOM? King of the Morans?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #25001
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'll say it again: the only 'serious business' in cycling is coming across the line first. The rest is fluff.

I've got a few friends into all that strava stuff. Great. Good for you. The ONLY time I can see it being a useful training tool is hill repeats or TT efforts. ...but that's me.

Speaking of hills... who's gonna go ride my buddy Tony's Devil's Backbone ride Sat?

M

I like it for nothing more than seeing my progress on the few hills I routinely ride that are on there. The chances of me ever cracking the top five are nil, but the fact that on a timed segment than my first time was seven minutes plus, and my most recent time was six flat, I feel pretty good seeing it. Even tonight where I went out with no intention of going over the hills as my normal road back is now chip sealed, I couldn't stop the urge to hit it and see how I would do. Ended up going further out and making it an even longer loop to avoid the chip, and had a great ride. Unfortunately, as seems to be all too common lately, my phones GPS crapped out for better than half the ride and I didn't even get to see my times on those two climbs.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #25002
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
if they are as big as that picture of the dude (golfer?!?) with the EMTs above, I'd want an 'afro rake' for that
That's what the smart dirt bikers carry. Works great.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #25003
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'll say it again: the only 'serious business' in cycling is coming across the line first.
But isn't that how KOM's are earned -- by who can complete some pre-arranged course the fastest?

Quote:
Strava records all sorts of information that could be useful in training. For instance, there are two local riders, John and Mike, who are constantly exchanging KOM's. Their respective times on the same course may differ by only a second, but if you look at their power graphs, you'll see that John does exceptionally well in the open 'fast' portions of the trail, whereas Mike excels in the tight, technical areas. That graph shows each one which areas in their training they can make the most improvement on.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #25004
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
But isn't that how KOM's are earned -- by who can complete some pre-arranged course the fastest?
At which point, sign up and RACE. Don't half-ass it.

Quote:
Strava records all sorts of information that could be useful in training. For instance, there are two local riders, John and Mike, who are constantly exchanging KOM's. Their respective times on the same course may differ by only a second, but if you look at their power graphs, you'll see that John does exceptionally well in the open 'fast' portions of the trail, whereas Mike excels in the tight, technical areas. That graph shows each one which areas in their training they can make the most improvement on.
Strava is just a spot to put stuff so your buddies can ooh and aaah over your KOM. TrainingPeaks or other software is what you need to look at if you want/need to compare power numbers over different rides.

Now to last nite. Met up at the shop and lo and behold! I WAS told right. Last nite was the first cross ride of the season. There were 3 of us. Shop owner/Cat 1 (SO), S the Cat 3 that won one of the 3/4 races last year, and me. On the way over, my legs were starting to load with lactic acid. Well THIS ain't good considering what's coming!

So we hopped into the woods for the first bit of the cross stuff. Hmmm this ain't too bad. A little rooty and rocky for cross tires... When 'I gotta stop!' First flat of the nite. S hit a root or a rock just wrong and pinch flatted his tire.

Up and down. Up and down. Then a killer downhill! SO hops down the hill, S goes down the hill dragging his rear wheel. I start down the hill. Miss that rock. Whew! Miss that root! Thank doG Then the evil one got me. I wasn't quite far enough back behind my saddle and sure nuff! Over the bars I went.

Didya know the ground's still hard all these years later?!

I knew I hit hard when I sat up and made sure my helmet wasn't cracked. Tweaked my derailleur hanger a little. Otherwise? Not too much wrong. Took me a little bit to get back to where they were waiting for me and THEN the 'real' ride started.

Grass course for most of it. Wind behind the baseball fields, up and around these trees, etc etc etc Started out with a 1-lap race for 'seeding' purposes. I lost so I got a 30sec head start for the 2-lap race that was coming.

It took SO 1.5 laps to ride me down. Racing thru grass is LOTS harder than it sounds. When he got me, I basically said 'eff it.' and stopped for a bit to recover. S rode by and shouted 'stay on it man!' as he blasted by. I guess I better finish the last 1/3 of the lap, huh?

Second 2-lap race SO got me at the second time over the barriers but no one else got past me. I hung within 100' of SO till the end. Damn near ran off the 2-track trail thru the woods as I was trying to keep SO in sight.

All in all, despite crashing and having crappy legs, I had a good time. Oh, that reminds me... So there's these folks practicing softball next to the barriers. As SO passed me in the first race I caught the look from one of the softball players. 'That doesn't look like fun...' My answer was 'it IS in a masochistic kind of way.'

...and that's cross for ya. Hardest thing I've done on two wheels but the most fun at the same time.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #25005
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,856
Easy, Gummee. Have a beer.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: