Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #25006
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Easy, Gummee. Have a beer.
Can ya tell I think strava is about the most idiotic thing I've heard of?

If you're going to race. Race. If you're not, then why bother?!

M
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #25007
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
At which point, sign up and RACE. Don't half-ass it.
Quite a few of these guys race. Pro racer David Wood holds the KOM at my favorite local trail. Another racer, Dale Serge, recently came close to claiming KOM. AFAIK, all the guys at the top of the Strava leader board race regularly, although I don't know how many of them do it professionally. Thankfully their training day out there is Thursday, a day I make sure not to be there.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #25008
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,624
Quote:

M
Yeah, you need to stop disseminating your feelings. Really, let it out. You'll feel better!

Honestly, there's so much gear out there, there's bound to be ridiculousness all around. I distinctly recall you being indignant when I said that carbon-fiber water bottle cages were ridiculous! Different strokes and all. Any reason to ride a bicycle is a valid one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #25009
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

M
Only a tiny percentage of bicycle riders have an interest in racing, in the sense that you understand the term. Many more find it interesting to chart their own progress or compare their achievements at local trails with others. That's what Strava allows them to do.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #25010
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

M
Yup...what he said. Burying yourself to bridge a gap can't be reproduced by using Strava, nothing replicates racing. Unless the atmospheric conditions are the same for everyone on a given circuit it is apples & oranges. Never been much for high score in Pong either, don't use a Camelbak, still use a frame pump, a San Marco Regal, GP4's...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #25011
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Yup...what he said. Burying yourself to bridge a gap can't be reproduced by using Strava, nothing replicates racing.
Strava users aren't trying to replicate racing.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #25012
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Yeah, you need to stop disseminating your feelings. Really, let it out. You'll feel better!

Honestly, there's so much gear out there, there's bound to be ridiculousness all around. I distinctly recall you being indignant when I said that carbon-fiber water bottle cages were ridiculous! Different strokes and all. Any reason to ride a bicycle is a valid one.
I did? Sorry.

The PRICES for CF cages are ridiculous. ...to hold a bottle?! (I got my pair for free, so there nyaa!)

AFA strava users not trying to replicate racing: What ARE they doing then?! Sounds like a race to me. ...only without any kind of real competition involved.

M
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #25013
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Strava users aren't trying to replicate racing.
Call it what you want, it's racing. Attempting to beat the best time is what then? I'm glad people are out riding, supporting the industry, acclimating the public to sharing the roads with cyclists, etc. Strava is goofy, but if it is the motivation for riding, that's great.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #25014
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Strava's website states that even in optimal conditions, GPS tracking is only accurate to within 10 meters (33 feet). ... are riders placing entirely too much faith in their GPS to provide the degree of accuracy these results require?
Yup (without differential correction, that is).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_a...tioning_System

Factor in tree cover, cloud cover and how many satellites are used to triangulate your position and you have yourself more error than that. I wouldn't count on it in race conditions. Like Gumme said, first across the line is where it's at. Or a stopwatch at a TT.

frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #25015
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Wow. While at my age I have absolutely ZERO interest in racing bikes, I do have a new found respect for those that do it competitively and do it well.

I've recently incorporated bike riding into my workout routine, nothing special, 20 to 25 mile rides on my mountain bike averaging 16/17 mph about 4 to 5 days a week for the last 3 months.

Had to take about 2 weeks off the bike but continued my other workout blocks, which include running 3-4 miles for cardio.

Wholly molly, I got back on the bike last evening to tackle a very familiar 25 mile ride only to break down (physically/mentally) at about mile 13 with an average speed of about 14 mph.

Pathetic.

I clearly see why some of you ride and train so aggressively, as if you don't someone else will.

Really? 2 measly weeks off the bike to drop this far back?

Race on brothers, race on.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #25016
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Call it what you want, it's racing. Attempting to beat the best time is what then? I'm glad people are out riding, supporting the industry, acclimating the public to sharing the roads with cyclists, etc. Strava is goofy, but if it is the motivation for riding, that's great.
When I trained with weights, I kept records of all my past performances. I did this to gauge my improvement and to test the results of various training methodologies, NOT because I had the slightest inclination to be a weight lifter or partake in weight lifting competitions. That's what Strava does for bicyclists, runners, etc. Others use it for no other reason other than to keep an electronic log of all the places they've been on their bicycles, motorcyclists, boats, etc.

It's as absurd to assume that anyone who uses Strava is a wannabe racer as it is to assume that racers don't use Strava. Both are patently false assumptions.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #25017
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
AFA strava users not trying to replicate racing: What ARE they doing then?! Sounds like a race to me. ...only without any kind of real competition involved.

M
You've earned the award this week.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #25018
vfr700
172S

Quote:
When I trained with weights, I kept records of all my past performances. I did this to gauge my improvement and to test the results of various training methodologies, NOT because I had the slightest inclination to be a weight lifter or partake in weight lifting competitions. That's what Strava does for bicyclists, runners, etc. Others use it for no other reason other than to keep an electronic log of all the places they've been on their bicycles, motorcyclists, boats, etc.

It's as absurd to assume that anyone who uses Strava is a wannabe racer as it is to assume that racers don't use Strava. Both are patently false assumptions.
Ok, I get that. What you were not doing is comparing your training records with another weight lifter's records/progress. Using other people's Strava posting's isn't exactly an academic approach to track progress. I have training records that date back to the 80's, they are only useful to me.

I wasn't assuming that those who use Strava are "wannabe racers", but if they are competing against other Strava users then what are they? How is that a measure of one's progress? I can ride the same circuit every day, and depending on the conditions have a large disparity in average speed. Comparing my ride with another rider when wind and temp conditions are variable is not an accurate measure of progress.

Tracking you personal information with GPS data is great, I use Garmin products to accomplish the same thing. I don't compete with other Garmin users though.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #25019
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

That's great, but did you post your weights up on the innerwebs for people to try and beat? Hey LOOKIT ME! I lifted 300#! Beat that! That's strava.

Keeping records on your own is easier to do on other software.

I know racers that are strava users. Rode with at least one last nite. The difference is emphasis. They're using strava as a training tool, its certainly not a race to them.

M
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #25020
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,453
Everyone knows the real reason for Strava to use the KOM concept - it's simply there to drive traffic to their site. More traffic means more $$$ for them. The KOM crap is simply a gimmick and a rather good one at that. Some will certainly find it useful, others could care less. YMMV of course.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: