Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #25021
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Submitted to the ADV Bicycle Thread for approval:
I was talking to my cyclosensei/LBS owner re: building a road bike. He said "wait a minute", went in back and came out with a LeMond Arrivee frame (TI!) and AlphaQ fork in my size. It is mine for free provided I go through him for all the componentry (much of which will be take-offs and used stuff anyways). I'm responsible for getting the frame cleaned up. It's unpainted, but the decals are thrashed.

I think this will be the way to go, but was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this particular frame. My brief Interwebz search last night yeilded mostly positive reviews.
Its Ti. How bad can it be?

I don't remember who Trek was contracting with to do their Ti bikes, but its probably Litespeed (like pretty much everyone else)

M
Old 09-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #25022
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Did you upload it to Strava? Doesn't count unless you did.
solo rides only for strava. I'm petitioning the sanctioning body over one of my kom's. Top three times were all ridden as a group. Should be disqualified.throw them out and I'll be 43rd.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #25023
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm not about to join just to go look him up.

M
All the kewl kids are on Strava. Don't be left behind.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #25024
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,086
Riverside Trail saves you a jaunt over the mountain, but it ain't worfit. Let's just say that should be called Riverotherside.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #25025
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its Ti. How bad can it be?

I don't remember who Trek was contracting with to do their Ti bikes, but its probably Litespeed (like pretty much everyone else)

M
The LBS thought this one came from Merlin, FWIW. Irregardless, TheWifester signed off on the capital expenditure, so I will be pulling the trigger on this. Can't wait!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #25026
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,459
Well, I *was* gonna make the Baltimore-York run today & do a little bike camping, but 70% chance of rain with 1/2 in of rainfall tonight says bollocks to that.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #25027
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
The LBS thought this one came from Merlin, FWIW. Irregardless, TheWifester signed off on the capital expenditure, so I will be pulling the trigger on this. Can't wait!
Merlin is litespeed now. I would be carefull, though. I've seen a number of ti lemonds fracture at the down tube cable stop. It's a poor design that caused a stress riser. I might be able to get a photo to post. I've got a friend with one hanging in his garage.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #25028
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Just got back from a hard 55 miler, on top of yesterday's 44. The wind was brutal along LI Sound!! It's amazing how much fitness you lose if you don't ride for a couple of weeks... I don't have a mileage goal for the year, but am somewhere around 2300. I can still fit into the 42 Vanson, so that's good.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #25029
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,853
I did a Sunday morning ride with the local bike club today - a first for me although I've done six Saturday rides with the same club. I was a little nervous - I expected this would be a faster group. I was right too.

As others gathered, there were clear signs that this was a fast group. It was made even more obvious when an older couple came up and the ride leader kind of glanced at me and said to one of the others, "There must be another group meeting here also."

*giggle* This could be fun. Or not.

As he made his announcements, the ride leader added that this wasn't a "no-drop" ride and the speeds were going to be "aggressive". OK - now I'm a little worried.

They formed a nice paceline and the speeds were fine at 18-20 mph. As we made a couple of turns and warmed up, the speeds started getting more, well, aggressive. For about 25 minutes, we were averaging 24 mph...and dropped riders left and right as we rode into the wind. I'm not paranoid but I think the leader was trying to drop me! He came close to succeeding too.

When we hit the re-group point, we were down 5 riders. I grabbed a couple of Gatorades and talked a bit to the others outside. One guy was especially friendly and even the leader paid me a nice complement - "that bike is really fast".

I warned him that when we hit the hills that I knew was coming, they'd probably drop me but I'd meet them at the next re-group point. I knew we'd hit some rolling hills and I could push out ahead a bit but on the return, it'd be more difficult. This is my riding area so I knew it very, very well.

Oh, at the stop, several of the others still in the group mentioned that the speeds were faster than normal. (What? Me? Paranoid? )

The route didn't exactly follow the map but when we hit the hills, I was in fact dropped a bit. I had to make a decision at one point: it was either take the climb that's probably about 1.5 miles at 4-6% or go straight towards the meeting point. I took the climb.

The closest rider was about 75 yards in front of me. As I hit the climb, a kid in a Mustang was approaching the street I was on from my right and I could tell he wasn't paying attention.

Luckily, I was going pretty slow and anticipated he'd roll right in front of me. His window was down and he heard me as I yelled, "Stop STOP gotdammit". I managed to stop within a foot of his door and he couldn't apologize enough. No harm so I didn't chew him out any more...he knew he goofed up.

The rider in front of me stopped and saw I was still upright and so he started up again. I topped the hill and enjoy a nice 30-mph run down to the regroup point.

By now, it's getting hot - probably pushing 95. We stayed at the regroup point for about 10 minutes - someone said, "it's not going to get any cooler - let's get going".

I knew the rest of the route was flat and on one of our busier streets so I was a little nervous about the return route. Luckily, traffic was light and we were given plenty of room - no issues at all. This is 2 or 3 lanes each way so there's no excuse for someone to yell or even be rude to us.

We ended with 50 miles and a 19 mph rolling average on a very urban route that has tons of lights. The temp in the car read 99 when I loaded up.

At the end of the ride, I hope that they understand that recumbents can mix well with DF's... and even keep up. I didn't do anything stupid, took my share of turns at the front, dropped them on an overpass (marked as a sprint on the route), pushed the speeds at times and showed that I was steady & predictable on the bike.

These are all things that means they should have nothing to fear from me on the next ride.

Tomorrow.

Morning.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #25030
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,459
Welp, had a bike stolen off of the front porch last night. Bye-bye, Lurleen.

Welcome to Baltimore.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #25031
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
2013 Specialized are up.

If one remembers the Specialized vs Volagi lawsuit, Volagi claimed that bicycle color can't be sued against (or some such wording). Take a look at the following. I think Specialized is thumbing their nose at Volagi.

Volagi Liscio

Specialized Roubaix

I'm really digging the steel, Tricross disc. Though, I wish it had a different component spec.

ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #25032
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
2013 Giant Propel aerobike.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #25033
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,835
WTF
It's PUI Holiday!
So, zero exotic location., but we are fighting the semi good fight.

Damn!
That air smells good!
Sorry I've been lost in the Wasteland for a bit.
Re thinking that whole assignment thing, you know?
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #25034
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,298
wohoo 27.5 miles last night after work. Felt really good ,could've done more. But had to feed the cats and myself and get to bed at a decent hour.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #25035
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
wohoo 27.5 miles last night after work. Felt really good ,could've done more. But had to feed the cats and myself and get to bed at a decent hour.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: