Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #25021
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Ok, I get that. What you were not doing is comparing your training records with another weight lifter's records/progress. Using other people's Strava posting's isn't exactly an academic approach to track progress. I have training records that date back to the 80's, they are only useful to me.

I wasn't assuming that those who use Strava are "wannabe racers", but if they are competing against other Strava users then what are they? How is that a measure of one's progress? I can ride the same circuit every day, and depending on the conditions have a large disparity in average speed. Comparing my ride with another rider when wind and temp conditions are variable is not an accurate measure of progress.
I imagine that those vying for top honors on the leader boards make sure that all their attempts are made under optimal conditions. And from what I've seen so far, there are no large disparities. For example, I did three hill climbs one week apart and my results in order were: 1min 8 seconds, 1min 9 seconds, and 1min 12 seconds. My lap time at another trail is almost exactly 7 minutes, both times. These are heavily wooded areas so there is no wind to contend with, and weather conditions were identical (mid 90's, high humidity, dry ground). I've been following the rivalry between two riders at a popular local trail lately. One of them held a number of KOMs there, but the other has been steadily improving his times. Now he's tied for KOM on one segment and is the undisputed leader on another. If that's not an indicator of progress, I don't know what you'd call it.

Quote:
Tracking you personal information with GPS data is great, I use Garmin products to accomplish the same thing. I don't compete with other Garmin users though.
There are different types of competition. When I began working out at the gym, I'd pay attention to how much weight other people of my size, age, and build were training with, and I'd set myself the goal of exceeding those amounts. That's obviously not the same as competing in a sanctioned weight lifting match, but it is nonetheless a type of competition. As I got much stronger, I eventually only had my own previous records to compete against. This is what I hope to use Strava for.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #25022
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
My better half wanted a steel rig to match the Peg, this is now living on the shelf next to the Peg.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #25023
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That's great, but did you post your weights up on the innerwebs for people to try and beat? Hey LOOKIT ME! I lifted 300#! Beat that! That's strava.
The comparison doesn't make sense. In order to see my Strava results, I have no option but to upload them to Strava's website. When I do that, Strava automatically arranges them alongside other people's results. I don't post them there for others to look at; that's just how the software works. Now, let's say that my times were in fact good enough to be at the top of the leader board. Why would it trouble you that other riders might see that as a challenge and try to beat my times? If wanting to better my results inspires others to improve their skills, what's wrong with that? Conversely, what's wrong with me training harder because I'm dissatisfied with results that place me somewhere in the middle of the pack, when I prefer to be near the top?

Quote:
I know racers that are strava users. Rode with at least one last nite. The difference is emphasis. They're using strava as a training tool, its certainly not a race to them.
Precisely my point. Strava is not racing, and I don't know of anyone who thinks it is. There is no reason to assume that anyone looking to earn a KOM has any interest in doing the sort of racing you do.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #25024
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
That's great, but did you post your weights up on the innerwebs for people to try and beat? Hey LOOKIT ME! I lifted 300#! Beat that! That's strava.

M
No, that's Crossfit
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #25025
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Is there a thread somewhere about all the ADV guys doing moto support at the US Pro Cycling Challenge?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #25026
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
No, that's Crossfit
Sorry. My mistake

M
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #25027
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Is there a thread somewhere about all the ADV guys doing moto support at the US Pro Cycling Challenge?
Short answer: sorta. I just forgot where I saw it. Perfect Line maybe?

M
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #25028
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
I don't know where the thread is but that's me piloting the reporter for NBC Sports during the race. ADV sticker and my name on the back of my silver helmet. Riding a 2010 1200 GS Adventure.

Check out today's stage descending with the winner Jens Voight in the pouring rain!

Robert

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #25029
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,456
How do you get that gig?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #25030
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:

some info in these... ;-)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817761

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819708
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #25031
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Can ya tell I think strava is about the most idiotic thing I've heard of?

If you're going to race. Race. If you're not, then why bother?!
My first impulse is to agree. I've done a few cyclocross and XC mountain bike races and while I don't have enough competitive spirit to keep at it (or put in the focused training effort needed to actually be competitive), they were fun experiences that a virtual time-trial couldn't match.

But hey, motivation is useful, wherever you find it: If the Strava KOM thing gets people to get out and ride more and harder than they would otherwise, it's a good thing.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #25032
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,221
I'm thinkin' it'd be sorta weird to trade a motorcycle for a bicycle, but I'm getting really close. Would you do it?

This

for this

I just don't ride the Dakar anymore and our asking prices are pretty well in line.

The TrueFab is almost new, great components all around and it'll be ridden several times per week as opposed to the Dakar's almost never.

Wouldja? Or am I nuts?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #25033
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I'm thinkin' it'd be sorta weird to trade a motorcycle for a bicycle, but I'm getting really close. Would you do it?

This

for this

I just don't ride the Dakar anymore and our asking prices are pretty well in line.

The TrueFab is almost new, great components all around and it'll be ridden several times per week as opposed to the Dakar's almost never.

Wouldja? Or am I nuts?
Nuts. The Dakar has more travel, better tire, and better wind protection. Although the bike has better milage. How's the range on the bike? :p
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #25034
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachmanP View Post
Nuts. The Dakar has more travel, better tire, and better wind protection. Although the bike has better milage. How's the range on the bike? :p
heh. Thing is, the Dakar's going one way or another. I don't ride it anymore and have no plans to other than to keep it from wasting away. It just isn't generating interest and I've been talking to the bicycle guy for over a month now. I do need a FS bike. And it doesn't get much better. I could sit here and look at the Dakar 'till it sells (which, by the looks of things, could be years) or enjoy my new bicycle just about every day starting Saturday. The bicycle is winning at this point, but not a single one of my friends thinks it's a good idea so far. Then again, most are moto folk and not bicycle folk. Looks like you are moto/bicycle folk though and even you think I'm nuts. Maybe I sleeps on it again.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #25035
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I LOVE my Keen SPD sandals but I ride a recumbent, so the biomechanics are not the same as with a road bike.
Keen SPD shoes just in, rode 25 miles.
these are EXCELLENT >
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: