Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #25051
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Thanks man.

It's a harness EZYDOG.COM that I use to attach him to my 26" cruiser on the local bike path. Hook'em up and go.

No need to be hooked up in the woods but I put it on him regardless of use, whenever we do anything bike related, just for association. He looks like this every time I pull it out of the pantry.

You know the breed, an active Boxer is a happy Boxer both mentally and physically.

Well look at that - that is a neat idea.

I hear ya, mine sleeps 23 hours a day it seems but for that 1 hours he's awake, he's all energy
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #25052
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

It's a harness EZYDOG.COM that I use to attach him to my 26" cruiser on the local bike path. Hook'em up and go.

No need to be hooked up in the woods but I put it on him regardless of use, whenever we do anything bike related, just for association. He looks like this every time I pull it out of the pantry.

That's awesome. If I tried that with my little dog, I would be dragging him down the road within the first quarter mile. If I tried it with my big dog, he'd be dragging me down the road within the first 100ft.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #25053
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Those are called Time Trials. You go as fast as you can for X distance. Shortest time wins. I'd say that's racing.
But not the kind of racing you approve of, apparently.

Quote:
...and I keep saying there's better ways to keep track of your numbers than stava. Privately. If you didn't want people to know how fast you're going, you'd use other software.
Why would you assume I'd want to keep my PR's a secret? I don't give a hoot whether my times are posted publicly or privately, so what would compel me to look for other software? So far I'm ranked 5th, 7th, 9th, and 18th on various leader boards. Many of the guys ahead of me are seasoned racers half my age. I don't have any illusions about beating their times, and I'm sure they aren't concerned about my PR's either. I'm not racing them and they're not racing me. These specious objections you're making suggest that you have some personal grudge against Strava, and that you're trying to invent reasons to justify it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #25054
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 997
How does Strava compare to Garmin Connect? I am using Garmin because it loads the workouts onto my watch. It also tracks stuff and I don't care if my data is public or not. I don't think very many cyclist around here use Garmin or they keep their data private because I don't even get to see their routes on the map. New routes would be nice because I get bored with the same ole same ole all the time. I think you have to pay for Strava if you want to get a "suffer score" on you rides.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #25055
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
How does Strava compare to Garmin Connect? I am using Garmin because it loads the workouts onto my watch. It also tracks stuff and I don't care if my data is public or not. I don't think very many cyclist around here use Garmin or they keep their data private because I don't even get to see their routes on the map. New routes would be nice because I get bored with the same ole same ole all the time. I think you have to pay for Strava if you want to get a "suffer score" on you rides.
I use the free 'basic' version of Strava because it tells me all I want to know. I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 800, but I don't know anything about Garmin Connect. Tell us more about it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #25056
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
That's awesome. If I tried that with my little dog, I would be dragging him down the road within the first quarter mile. If I tried it with my big dog, he'd be dragging me down the road within the first 100ft.
Surprisingly, it only took a few outings for him to get accustomed to pacing next to the bike, but it did take some work at first to keep him from going balls out all the time. He now adjust his speed according to mine, or I can get him rilled up and he's pulling me at 30MPH.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #25057
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
my college son picked up a kid trailer for his dog.... rode to a brewpub with a friend about 10 miles. dog refused to stay in the trailer on the way home and ran the entire 10 miles along side of them while they were booking a fast pace on their vintage steel roadies. crazy freekin' border collie mutt.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #25058
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
dog refused to stay in the trailer on the way home and ran the entire 10 miles along side of them while they were booking a fast pace on their vintage steel roadies. crazy freekin' border collie mutt.

I was going to do this exact thing but knew my ol' boy would never stay inside.

From our ride this morning.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #25059
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
I've tried and tried to get my yellow lab to run along side my bike, and she insists on running ahead, then turning in front of me to look over her shoulder.

I tried one of those bike leashes, as shown earlier, that clamp to the seat post, with the bungi cord, she pulls so hard that no matter HOW tight I torque it down, she pulls the shaft forward into my leg, or even spins the whole seat post, arrrgh. Maggie is a 80 lb lab so when she goes right, so does the bike
Old 08-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #25060
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I use the free 'basic' version of Strava because it tells me all I want to know. I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 800, but I don't know anything about Garmin Connect. Tell us more about it.
Garmin Connect is a free web based app like Strava for Garmin users. It allows you to create and schedule workouts, tracks data and other goals, maps where you went and allows you to share routes with others. It seems to be mostly like Strava but without KOM, suffer score etc. It may only work for Garmin users though. Check it out here http://connect.garmin.com/
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #25061
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post

If you didn't have the Dakar up for sale, would you consider paying cash for that bicycle? Or would you shop around for something less expensive?

That should have been my first question. Err, it sorta was, but the longer the bike sat here, the more I loosened my standards. I started thinking like that again yesterday and got to feeling that unless the bike was like a magic carpet under me, I was gonna pass. About that time I got an email from the guy. He said he went out and aired up the tires and took it for one last spin and decided he couldn't part with it. . I scored me some new Geax Gatos on the cheap to make me feel better though...think I'm gonna try tubeless

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #25062
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,453
Devil's Backbone ride yesterday. Fun in a masochistic kind of way.

I dressed for rain. That meant I was warm most of the ride 'cause it didn't rain till AFTER I'd gotten in. Oh well. Less mess to clean up!

So there I was... just about the last guy in the line 'cause I'd helped stop traffic on the road as everyone rolled out. Made my way thru the crowd (160-ish riders) as the hill steepened. I *thought* I was keeping the pace down where I'd be OK on the steep part of the first climb (20-ish %) but NOOOOO I got within 50' of the top of Cub Creek (near Wintergreen if you want to google it) and my legs filled with so much lactic acid all I could do was stop. I waited till the feeling of the thighs being on fire went away and my breathing slowed and made it over the hill under my own power. First time in 20 years I've had to stop on a hill.

Down the gravel road on the other side. ...except the 'fix' to keep the strap-on water bottle holder from sliding around didn't fix the issue. Bout 2/3rds of the way down I saw the water bottle cage sliding around on the DT and had to stop and stick the bottle in my pocket. It stayed there till the first rest stop when I re-tightened the strap and stuck it back in place 'cause I knew I was done with gravel roads. So... even if you're ordering a cyclocross race bike, get it with bottle cages *just in case.* Saw another guy with the same issue, but he'd used old tubes and really tight zip-ties. May try that next time.

Back to the narrative: rode up and down up and down this twisty gravel road that dumped us out onto a paved highway. Ended up a little further down the road from where we came out in the spring and I started to know where I was. That helps on this ride.

Right turn and the beginning of what I'm told is a 14mi climb. I didn't measure it, but it certainly took a long time to get up and over it. Never super steep. Except for the first mile or two, all gravel. I was thanking doG I had 34c knobbies on there. I stuck it in the 34 x 27 combo and just spun as much as I could. Passed a few, but worst of all got passed by a couple of guys too. Didn't climb this nearly as well this time as the spring ride. I don't think I was spinning as much this time either. Little more 'grindy.'

Down to the rest stop. Topped out at 74-ish kph on my knobbies. I can only imagine what I could do on 'real' tires.

Got water, ate a cookie, then out to the next hill. Reid somethingoranother that goes up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Ugh. I HATE that hill. This is twice now where I've been up it. BOTH times standing in the 34 x 27 and barely making headway. I knew it was coming this time so I wasn't cussing at my buddy as much. This time I had people in front of me, so I could see my 'target.' Helped. As I got around one corner, the road got even STEEPER and the target was walking. I was barely managing to go faster than he was ...and I was riding! Yeah, it was THAT steep!

Down the hill towards the start/finish. Minivan pulled out in front of me so I went around em. Held em off till a few miles down the road where it leveled out and I was out of gears (46 x 12) and out of legs. Didn't look down to see where I topped out on that one, but I kept the Jeep in front of me in sight (and was gaining slightly) till the road leveled out.

I DIDN'T make the mistake I made in the spring of turning right onto the first climb. :phew It took till almost the spot where I had to stop this time the last time to figure out I was going the wrong way. This time I knew better and blew right past that turn, kept going down the hill to the start/finish. Mo bettah.

35-ish miles 2:43 riding time. Can you say 'slow?' I can. Can you say 'steep arse climbs?' I can definitely say that. In this case, short did NOT equal easy.

Now my legs feel like they've gone rounds with Mike Tyson. Easy day today and tomorrow and hopefully I'll feel good for Wed nite's cross ride/race

M
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #25063
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,453
Link to a hit and run article

Ugh. Lookit all the pieces of bicycle in that pic.

Be careful out there!

M
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #25064
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:

Be careful out there!

M
I always wonder, in those cases, why a witness never follows the vehicle that flees a scene.

That was a Shiv.

Sad.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #25065
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,717
Quote:

Be careful out there!

M
Couple towns over from me. doG what a waste. There are so many fucking asshole drivers out there. Maybe those tools in the other threads about cyclists would like to comment on this - of course, we all know, it would be the cyclist's fault.

RIP.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: